daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM   #1
vicecityguy

Likes (Received): 1

DOWNTOWN | Development News

This will highlight some of the new development projects in downtown LA. Most of these projects are either approved, planned or in development, however some of these project's status is unknown... but are possible given the revitalization of downtown and the increase in demand for both residential and office space.

In addition to these projects there are many adaptive re-use projects of historic buildings being renovated as lofts/condos/apartments. These projects are numerous and at various stages. As new projects are added or new renderings are available I will update this post.

LA Central (45 and 33 story towers)

Lucia Tower (31 Story Condo Tower)

Architect: Archeon Group
Developer: The Cimmarustis

1027 Wilshire (48 Story Tower)

St. Vibiana Lofts (41 Story Tower)

Ritz-Carlton / Marriott Marquis (54 Story Hotel/Condo)

Trinity Towers (31 stories)

Concerto at Figueroa and 9th street (Two Towers, 27-story towers and a 5-story building)
Developer: Sonny Astani

The City House (60 stories)

The Olympic (50 stories)

8th & Grand (40 story tower, 24 story tower, and 15 story tower)

Fig South
Developer: Williams & Dame Development Inc
Description: 2 towers, 34 and 24 stories with 300+ total condos.

Metropolis (Tower 1 - 30 story condo, Tower 2 - 30 story condo, Tower 3 - 30 story hotel, and Tower 4 - 45 story office building)
Developer: IDS
Architect: Arquitectonica

Grand Avenue (Four to Six Towers from 25-65 Stories)

Glass Tower (25 stories)
Northeast corner of 11th and Grand

Pacific Stock Exchange Towers (30 stories each)

Olive Street Tower (35 stories) (on hold?)

LAPD Headquarters

Federal Courthouse (16 stories, but over 400 ft)

8th & Figeroa Office Tower

Park Lofts - 9th & Hope (41 Story Tower)

Zen Tower (50 stories)

Developer: Kawada Group

Residences at 9th & Flower (37 stories)

Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Tower (19 Stories)
NW corner of Flower and Olympic
Description: 110 dormitory apartments and 65,000 square feet northeast corner of Flower Street and Olympic Boulevard.

Hanover Tower (27 stories)
Northeast corner of Olympic and Figueroa

755 Tower

Elleven (13 stories)

Evo (24 stories)

Luma (17 stories)

Hope Street Condominiums (25 stories)

The Medallion (Two 11 Story Towers)

The Colburn (10 Story Tower)

California Plaza 3rd Tower

Little Tokyo Block Eight Project (20 story apartment tower)
Developer: Related Companies

Sci-Arc Towers (Two 50 stories each)
No Image
Developer: Merco Group LLC (Richard Meruelo and Daniel Villanueva)

12th & Fig Tower (15 stories)
No Image
Developer: Trammell Crow Residential Services
Description: 200-unit apartment building that will rise 15 stories above the corner of 12th and Figueroa streets.

Alexan Savoy Phase 2 (18 stories)
No Image
Developer: Trammell Crow

Alexan Savoy Phase 3 (25 stories)
No Image
Developer: Trammell Crow

iHope Tower (14 stories)

Developer: CIM

Herald Examiner Residential Tower (24 stories)

Last edited by vicecityguy; August 23rd, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
vicecityguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:17 AM   #2
savvysearch

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! Thanks for posting the pics. Some of these developments Ive never even heard before or seen before. Amazing how much is going on in just downtown LA alone. Especially looking forward to the Police Headquarters and the High school which are architecturally fantastic.

On the 3rd California plaza pic, which tower are we supposed to be looking at? Is it the one on the far right?
savvysearch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM   #3
vicecityguy

No problem! As for Calif Plaza - The tall white tower on the left (foreground).

If all these project get built, we're looking at 45+ projects in total!!! Also, there are probably just as many adaptive reuse projects... its crazy, some people don't realize how much is going on in such a small area.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 171

Thanks for posting that. We needed that in this forum. I love the momentum in DTLA right now and hopefully it will continue, actually im very confident it will, hopefully we will see some new mega projects! Cant wait to move there in a couple of years.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM   #5
SChristopher

It looked like there was an abundant amount of Office towers in there, are they needed or are they building them for status?
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 03:55 AM   #6
klaus
to live and love in l.a.

DAMN!!! thank you so very much for posting all of this. i really enjoy this. please keep up the good work. some of this i have not heard of yet. i really appreciate it.
I'm telling you; in a couple years from now downtown will be known as BOOMTOWN. once the retail and restaurant sector gets on track - there will be no stopping...
klaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM   #7
vicecityguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus
DAMN!!! thank you so very much for posting all of this. i really enjoy this. please keep up the good work. some of this i have not heard of yet. i really appreciate it.
I'm telling you; in a couple years from now downtown will be known as BOOMTOWN. once the retail and restaurant sector gets on track - there will be no stopping...

I agree and your welcome! I think this is just the beginning, the most interesting thing to me is what is just around the corner... projects that have not yet been announced!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM   #8
savvysearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChristopher
It looked like there was an abundant amount of Office towers in there, are they needed or are they building them for status?

This is LA. It would take winter in Hell to get the city to pay for something. My guess is that all of them are private developments of rich companies trying to get richer. Except for of course, the courthouse and police department.
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Money Man

If for some chance L.A. gets the Summer Olympics again, do you think the 755 tower will be closer to being built? Since it is to incorporiate a hotel?
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #10
savvysearch

I doubt it Moneyman. They'd probably lose more money forcing it through early , then if they just the construction go ahead as planned. BUt LA is not going to get the Summer Olympics.
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #11
klaus
to live and love in l.a.

the new lapd headquarters looks pretty good. imagine it side by side with the caltrans building.... and the new courthouse just one block away.... and disney hall just a few steps up the hill... and............
klaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #12
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 41

Thanks for this thread, vicecityguy. it's looking like i imagined, Los Angeles is going to join the mixeduse tower club. i find the 755 tower proposal highly interesting, narrow and sleek, but as tall as the 777 tower (700'+) my floor count is 54 (to plaza) and at least 6 under (tho i'm betting 8) i believe there is about 650,000 sq. ft. left on the original development permit,. visability is a major factor with this tower, (this would look outstanding with the figuroa at 8th tower behind, from the 110 FWY).....also cal plaza tower 3 at least 60 storys, (it's enterence on hill st. is at least 200' below cal plaza tower 1's entery on grand ave.) i wonder mixeduse also?......and if you look to the right of the model two res. towers in the 30 to 45 story range (next to metropolitan tower, 22 storys)...... also i'm going to search for more info on the sci-arc towers project. do we have a location on this one ???.... its looking great for LA this next few years!
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #13
badtz
Downtown Los Angeles

WOW!! AWESOME photos! As a resident of Downtown I approve

The LAPD Headquarters look awesome!!!

Let's hope the residnets of the Higgins Building don't get in the way of it's construction
badtz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #14
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 502

Great projects for Downtown LA, I Hope they build them all
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #15
vicecityguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1
Thanks for this thread, vicecityguy. it's looking like i imagined, Los Angeles is going to join the mixeduse tower club. i find the 755 tower proposal highly interesting, narrow and sleek, but as tall as the 777 tower (700'+) my floor count is 54 (to plaza) and at least 6 under (tho i'm betting 8) i believe there is about 650,000 sq. ft. left on the original development permit,. visability is a major factor with this tower, (this would look outstanding with the figuroa at 8th tower behind, from the 110 FWY).....also cal plaza tower 3 at least 60 storys, (it's enterence on hill st. is at least 200' below cal plaza tower 1's entery on grand ave.) i wonder mixeduse also?......and if you look to the right of the model two res. towers in the 30 to 45 story range (next to metropolitan tower, 22 storys)...... also i'm going to search for more info on the sci-arc towers project. do we have a location on this one ???.... its looking great for LA this next few years!

Your welcome! As for the location of the sci-arc towers... right behind the sci-arc school there is a parking lot... that is the site. In the past, students of sci-arc used to park there for free but the the developers purchased the lot and put up a fence. I agree, I can't wait for some of these projects to break ground! LA will look and feel different within the next few years!
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #16
LosAngelesSportsFan

BADTZ, since i want to move DT in the next couple of years, i wanted to know how your experience is going. When did you move in? what part do you live in? and how has the area changed since you moved there? Good or bad? Hows the nightlife? of course you dont have to answer but i will greatly appreciate it.
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #17
badtz
Downtown Los Angeles

Greetings LosAngelesSportsFan,

I moved here a little over two years ago.

I've lived at two different locatioons:

Location #1: Broadway/3rd St. (near Angel's Flight/Grand Central Market)

The area was very nice, but the one huge drawback in my case was that I lived facing broadway, and the street noise from the buses were driving me insane. Otherwise, the area was perfectly fine with me. Right in the heart of the Historic Core, and above the Million Dollar theatre.

Location #2: 7th/Los Angeles (nearby Flower Mart)

The location is in the very north/west corner of the Fashion District. At the new loft project [SanteeCourt.com].......

The location is not bad per-se, could be better, but it's not bad at all. Very quiet, and overall, a very ambitious and exciting project (the new Rite-Aid just finished below one of the buildings, a 6-9 restaurant food court is in the works, a gym, dry cleaners and a food court, are all in the works).

The nightlife in downtown (excluding the loft/house parties in the Arts District) is pretty low at the moment, but it's picking up. There's parties that occassionally occur in downtown (for instance, Giant has had their New Year's party in Downtown for the past 3 years. This year, they're blocking off FOUR blocks of downtown to have a big 12,000 capacity outdoor party). Other than the one-off events, there's a couple new bars that are being developed at the moment. The most recent FINISHED project is the Golden Gopher on 8th street in between Olive and Grand I believe. There's one that's being built (by the same developers) above the Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway. As far as permanent club locations, there's countless, but usually the clubs are not consistently held there, again, only one-off events (though they happen fairly often).

If there's anything else, please let me know
badtz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #18
LosAngelesSportsFan

Thanks a lot for answering, it looks like the area i really headed in the right direction. i know the owner of the golder gopher is planning 6 or 7 bars in the area, so thats a good sign. its good to hear your enjoying your time down there and once again thanks for the info.
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #19
Thinkahead

Downtown LA Connector

This project is in a couple of long-range transportation plans the MTA has drawn up. I am merely providing a first talk about it to get the ball rolling so this plan becomes a reality. I don't know anyone in the MTA or City Staff. But I hope this provides a subtle grassroots effort that will get this project some light.

Potential alignment of the Downtown Connector (DC): . The purpose of this line is to run the Gold and Blue Line LRT lines together into one system.

http://image20.webshots.com/20/4/77/...6YzRhkZ_fs.jpg

Starting from the 7th Street Metro Center station, the DC would continue north along Flower Street in an underground alignment until 3rd St, where a portal will emerge.

From 3rd/Flower, the route will continue at-grade utilizing the existing 23’ wide northbound Bus Only lane along Flower Street where it merges with northbound Hope Street. The route will continue on Hope Street until First Street. The DC will then turn east onto First Street.

Continuing on First Street, the DC will run along the median of First Street -with Signal Prioritization, similar to what is used on the Blue Line on Washington Blvd- until Alameda where it connects with the future Gold Line Little Tokyo/Arts District Station.

Only one station is necessary for this DC alignment and it should be located between 1st and 2nd Street on Hope. This location is within walking distance of the Music Center, Disney Concert Hall, Grand Avenue and other existing and future attractions on Bunker Hill. This is the best possible location for an at-grade station within the Bunker Hill area since the East-West blocks along 1st Street between Hope and Hill Streets cannot berth a 3-car Light Rail train and the street grades on Bunker Hill would conflict with ADA compliance if an at-grade platform were built.

Estimated Cost (utilizing MTA reported estimates in 1/04 Fixed Guideway Planning)
Total Downtown Connector Length: 1.5 Miles
Length in tunnel: 0.375 mi. (@300M/mi +/- 10% = $112.5-125M)
Length at-grade: 1.125 mi. (@60M/mi= $67.5M)

TOTAL Estimated Cost: $180-192.5 M
Cost per mile: $120-128.3M/mile

Now mind you this is just a rough estimate of the possible cost this figure may actually be lower through further more detailed analysis.

Last edited by Thinkahead; November 8th, 2004 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Add an image and make information clearer
Thinkahead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #20
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 41

Thanks for the last post, its great to know the planning department of this city is starting to get it's shit together on some workable centralization projects, all tho i heard about this line about 15 years ago, it was said to be cancelled. any news on the blue line / expo line allingment from washington/ flower to exposition blvd.? also if i remember correctly the metropolis project is supposed to have 3 towers, has it been updated?, are there any new designs, or photos?. i'm not much the Micheal Graves fan as i think his work is to "solid". but i found his idea for this project not great, but OK.

Tags
development, development summary, los angeles