daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #2321
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 134

I have posted that video about 8 months ago.
Since we are talking about Line 16, I providing the link to the video again.

doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #2322
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 376

And line 16 doesn't reach Longyang Lu yet. I read somewhere this extension would open this year, along with a line 13 extension to Changshou Lu, with the section to Changqing Lu as well as the remainder of line 12 opening in 2015. Is this correct? Anyway, I remember that all of this was supossed to be ready by 2012...

The hurricane Ioke liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #2323
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6650

City buses add new broadcast system
Shanghai Daly Excerpt
October 15, 2014

More than 10,000 public buses will be equipped with an automatic broadcasting system by the end of the year, according to Shanghai’s main bus operator.

The system uses GPS and will broadcast the next stop automatically, allowing drivers to concentrate on driving. Drivers currently have to press a button when approaching a stop to activate the broadcast.

Shanghai Bashi Electric Bus Company said it has been testing the system since May and has it equipped on all 780 buses in its fleet.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!

FM 2258, _Night City Dream_ liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #2324
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 26855

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
How long does it take to travel the entire line 16?

I remember it was so hard to get to the wild animal park. The new station should make the trip much easier...
yeah^ I was in the Park in 2012 and it took quite a long time to get there by tax.

Big-dog, thanks a lot for providing pictures of Dishui lake. I absolutely must come there next time when I'm in Shanghai.

My LiveJournal (in Russian)

My Instagram (almost daily updates)
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #2325
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
And line 16 doesn't reach Longyang Lu yet. I read somewhere this extension would open this year,
You're right. I have some pics of line 16 construction. It is underway. I'll hope to post them right here before it opens.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #2326
_Night City Dream_

Finally, I've done that.

Sorry for the poor quality, most of the pics were taken from Maglev train.

13 .07. 2014.

It will be nice to see races between Maglev train and trains on line 16 considereing that Maglev runs there under 200 km/h. Shanghai is turning into Tokyo bit by bit in terms of transport!

suburbicide, jason102 liked this post
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #2327
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2657

Mmm, no they're still quite different, I don't think any city will get anywhere near to the 5000km of rail covering Metro Tokyo any time soon. Shanghai is Shanghai and I think their metro system looks really good and I look forward to riding it in January.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel

Pansori liked this post
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #2328
saiho

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Mmm, no they're still quite different, I don't think any city will get anywhere near to the 5000km of rail covering Metro Tokyo any time soon. Shanghai is Shanghai and I think their metro system looks really good and I look forward to riding it in January.
Well when you think that big. The Yangtze River Delta and Pearl River Delta Mega Metros will reach that point.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #2329
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Well when you think that big. The Yangtze River Delta and Pearl River Delta Mega Metros will reach that point.
Tokyo Urban Metropolitan area covers 3,925 km2 and contains 32,542,946 people.

Yangtze River Delta area covers 99,600 km2 and contains around 140,000,000 people.

There is no comparison between these two metropolitan areas at all.

Shanghai area covers 6,340.5 km2 and contains approximately 24,150,000.

Shanghai is the best comparison, not the Yangtze River Delta area. The Tokyo metropolitan area is not as big as you think unless you include the rural portions of the area. This expands the area to around 13,500km2, but it is still nowhere near the size of the Yangtze River Delta.

This wasn't meant to be a "Tokyo is better than Shanghai" - more to point out they are still different. Shanghai is building an amazing system and I cannot wait to try it.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #2330
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Tokyo Urban Metropolitan area covers 3,925 km2 and contains 32,542,946 people.

Yangtze River Delta area covers 99,600 km2 and contains around 140,000,000 people.

There is no comparison between these two metropolitan areas at all.

Shanghai area covers 6,340.5 km2 and contains approximately 24,150,000.

Shanghai is the best comparison, not the Yangtze River Delta area. The Tokyo metropolitan area is not as big as you think unless you include the rural portions of the area. This expands the area to around 13,500km2, but it is still nowhere near the size of the Yangtze River Delta.

This wasn't meant to be a "Tokyo is better than Shanghai" - more to point out they are still different. Shanghai is building an amazing system and I cannot wait to try it.
What do those Wikipedia numbers about Tokyo stand for?

Metropolis
2,187.66 km2
13,185,502 people

Metro
13,572 km2
35,682,460 people

And how your Tokyo numbers come into the picture? Where did you take them from? Edit: found it.

In either case the fundamental argument that Shanghai (city and region) has nothing to be compared to Tokyo in terms of rail transit is correct. It might take another 15-20 years for Shanghai to develop anything of a similar scale and perhaps 10-15 years for the PRD.

What does surprise me is that major cities in China do not seem to be on a hurry to develop additional heavy-rail systems. Beijing is already desperate for one. So is Shanghai. I get a general impression that situation is better in the PRD region i.e. they are building or preparing to build some commuter railways.

Last edited by Pansori; Yesterday at 05:06 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #2331
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 84

its a bit weird that there is a subway line running parallel to the maglev...including a station, that is right next to it and almost looks the same.

The question is...what are they going to do with the maglev, now that its totally obsolete.

Tags
metro, shanghai