daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > New South Wales

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2015, 06:17 AM   #6581
Brizer

Likes (Received): 1515

Whoa! Took me a while, but I think I've figured out the location of each of those shots, Cul. Interesting to see the progress on some sites, especially the Town Centre.

On another note, I've just found another design for part of JQZ site at 52-54 O'Dea Avenue, Waterloo, in the Lachlan Precinct.
Very colourful by architects UP Architects with Kann Finch.
Not clear whether it or the other design I posted is the design competition winner.
Will post pix later.
Brizer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 1st, 2015, 08:12 AM   #6582
Brizer

LACHLAN PRECINCT

JQZ @ 52-54 O'DEA AVENUE
Waterloo

Competition Entry by UP Architects with Kann Finch

Not definitely the winner. Very colourful! Kind of 'jazzy' with all the angles.

This design is only for the block bounded by Gadigal & Archibald avenues, Hatbox Place & Amelia Street.
Perhaps the site has been divided into 4 and a different architect assigned to each site: see images for Dyuralya Park Apartments which is the northern most site.

View of east side from Wulaba Park.

The west side seen along Gadigal Avenue from just south of Hatbox Place (just north of O'Dea Avenue).

View at Gadigal Avenue & Archibald Avenue looking south?

Model.

Viclocal liked this post

Last edited by Brizer; April 2nd, 2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: ?
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:17 AM   #6583
Viclocal

Likes (Received): 9

But the columns were there before the slabs, with no notches, plugs sticking out or bars across this level 1 they have constructed....
Viclocal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #6584
Brizer

Odd light at sunset, 5.35 p.m., today.
View across Joynton Park to west facing buildings.

Old April 10th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #6585
MR.BOND

Likes (Received): 6

Retail site under VSQ North

The site that used to be the Wondax Asian Supermarket has now been changed to a Gift Store & has officially opened. This is now final as they changed their mind a few times to who was going into that spot.

This is now the third Gift store to come into Victoria Park in the last month.

The other 2 sites are the former yogurt shop (24a Gadigal Ave) which is now an active trading gift store & another DA has been presented to go into the retail spot under Stella which I think at this stage is going ahead.

We had the influx of Asian Supermarkets while ago & now it seems we are having a wave of Gift Stores come into Victoria Park.

I dont know too much about this type of business but there seems to be a big market for it.
MR.BOND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #6586
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 2834

News

40 Odea ave was approved this week.
Also a major DA was lodged yesterday at 830 elizabeth st./waterloo
Model is on display. its an 8storey above old buildings. Looks good
Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM   #6587
Brizer

Someone post article in SMH pls:

'Inner-city driving Sydney's housing boom' by Matt Wade
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM   #6588
chinmi

Likes (Received): 30

There you go...

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/innercity-...24-1ms5ki.html

Quote:
"The two biggest priorities need to be transport and schools," she said. "Public transport needs to be addressed urgently. The city has no authority over public transport. However, due to a lack of action from the government, we have been planning for and investing in an Eastern Transit Corridor – a light rail route to connect Green Square to the city centre."

Transport Minister, Andrew Constance, said additional buses and trains had recently been added to service the Green Square area and the proposed $7 billion Sydney Rapid Transit system would eventually boost capacity on the airport line as it will no longer share city-circle tracks with the Bankstown line. "We understand the importance of providing transport solutions to the Green Square area and both immediate and long-term transport planning is continuing," he said.

A new railway station is also being considered at either Waterloo or Sydney University as part of the Sydney Rapid Transit extension.

Figures published by the NSW government's Metropolitan Development Program showed 2848 of the 14,919 dwellings completed in greater Sydney between June last year and January this year were in the City of Sydney.

The suburb of Green Square alone added more new homes than Blacktown local government area, which was the council area with the second largest increase in new dwellings in the period. Last weekend first home buyers were paying more than $700,000 for one-bedroom apartments without parking in the tallest tower at the Green Square Town Centre complex which is due for completion in 2017.

City council surveys have found morning bus services are struggling to cope in Green Square, which is expected to become Australia's most densely populated neighbourhood. Cr Moore said inner-city schools were already at or near capacity, and that the council was not aware of any state government plans to build new schools at Green Square.

Last edited by chinmi; Yesterday at 12:46 AM. Reason: Quoting article from smh
chinmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #6589
Dyllip
Pro Housing Affordability

Likes (Received): 87

I went to Green Square last weekend for the first time since 2009 and wow. No longer the mismatched hole of industry and scattered apartment blocks. Stayed at the Meriton Serviced Apartments on Defries Ave. East Village and Victoria Park look great. Fantastic vibe and the tree lined 'Walks' make it so attractive!

Coming along so well. Can't wait for the Lachlan Precinct to be completed and both sides of Gadigal Ave connected. Also can't wait for the road works to rationalise the horrific McEvoy/Bourke/Lachlan dogleg. The new Meriton building on the cnr of O'Dea and South Dowling seems to have incorporated a widening of O'Dea Ave too?
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #6590
Brizer

Not in southern parts atm, but I hear Nuffield Park is flooded, however do not start heading for the hills. Each of the parks in the area has a depression basin which is part of the flood control measures for the former swamp, flood prone region. In periods of excessive rain, the depressed areas of the parks will fill & they have done so in the past though they usually drain quickly.
Old Today, 06:36 AM   #6591
Viclocal

Likes (Received): 9

It seems the parks coped well with the storms, although it is clear that more rain cover is needed for anyone in the park when such events occur. With the hail yesterday, quite a few people needed shelter from the strongest torrential driving rain and lightning I have ever seen in the area, as well as the hail, which continued for at least 30 mins. The rain shifted from one angle/direction to the opposite so would have been really unpleasant. The stalls were fully functional when it all came down and I really felt for the people who were inside them and in the area at the time. There was little warning and no safe spot for them to be except inside the kiosk. I have long asked for the cover there to be extended and it needs to be able to be pulled down or around also so people can shelter in major events which occur suddenly. I guess the toilet was the best bet yesterday.
Interestingly the parks were fine, and there was no flooding, just trees surrounded by hail, like white haloes.
Victoria Park Parade flooded badly near Morris Grove and Wolseley Grove, and the water was still quite evident this morning. Clearly some drain work is needed there.
If you believe in global warming and that the oceans have absorbed much of the heat (as New Scientist tells me) then it would appear that storminess will increase and events like this may become more common. I think we need to prepare for it in designing parks and other structures.
Insurance pressures will drive change anyway as they are doing, in flat coastal areas now.
Viclocal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, projects, sydney