daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 34

'Leeds Loves'

I make no mistake in making a new post with this title. In light of all the recent events in London and the subsequent bad press of Leeds I would like to put forward a proposal to each of you. If the support is there I will forward a letter with our comments posted on here to the leader on the council.

So here goes....'Leeds Loves'

I think the 'Love parade' should return to Leeds and we could call it 'Leeds Loves', apart from the litter aspect, the last FREE Leeds Love Parade was a great success and it attracted nearly a million people. Many thousands of visitors came from accross the country to out great city. An event on this scale would attract good media representation and it would go along way in restoring peoples faith in the city we love. I am sure Radio 1 would only be too happy to help with the organisation of a return of the 'Love Parade'.

So your thoughts?

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Martyn

Likes (Received): 0

not my scene - i'm much more at home at leeds festival - but you've certainly got my support. nice one.
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

I can't really see the connection between Leeds getting negative publicity due to the recent tragic events and the Love Parade. Why would it help restore peoples faith in the city? What makes you think people have lost faith in the city?

Love Parade was a great success about 5 years ago, but the plan was to move it around the country and anyway dance music is in a lull at the moment, it's nothing like the big draw it was in the 90s.

I honestly don't think that peoples perceptions of Leeds have been significantly impacted by the recent events, as I've said before my concern is the BNP trying to stir stuff up. With this in mind, if anything is to be done, an event sending out a message of unity across Leed's racial communities would be the most valuable.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #4
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

Agreed. The BNP activity around here in Burley has picked up recently. Heard people talking about having dodgy leaflets posted through their doors and quite often last year when I lived on Cardigan Road, you could often see/hear the twats bombing around in their cars, pulling over next to a non-white person and verbally abuse them using language which obviously would relate to said person's race. Proper dodgy like. Thankfully though, the general area is cool. The students get on with the locals (although there're a few numpties) and there's definitely a sense of respect for the locals.

But yeah, the BNP are stirring things up already and have been here for at least a year. We'll just have to see as to whether it intensifies or not.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 426

The only reason they're targeting places like Leeds now is because of the terrorist attacks, and terrorist attacks in the past. The solution is to ignore them and don't let them change anything. They are a minority which shouldn't represent Leeds or anywhere else for that matter.
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
The only reason they're targeting places like Leeds now is because of the terrorist attacks, and terrorist attacks in the past. The solution is to ignore them and don't let them change anything. They are a minority which shouldn't represent Leeds or anywhere else for that matter.
Life is not that simple, LN1.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #7
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si
I can't really see the connection between Leeds getting negative publicity due to the recent tragic events and the Love Parade. Why would it help restore peoples faith in the city? What makes you think people have lost faith in the city?

Love Parade was a great success about 5 years ago, but the plan was to move it around the country and anyway dance music is in a lull at the moment, it's nothing like the big draw it was in the 90s.

I honestly don't think that peoples perceptions of Leeds have been significantly impacted by the recent events, as I've said before my concern is the BNP trying to stir stuff up. With this in mind, if anything is to be done, an event sending out a message of unity across Leed's racial communities would be the most valuable.
Love Parade was indeed a success, but poorly managed and policed. If you were a resident of Roundhay and had a house fairly close to Soldier's Field and Roundhay Park then you woke up the next morning with a garden full of rubbish and a memory scarred by seeing groups of kappa slappers pissing on your front gate post. Not good!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Leeds No.1

Yeah I know, but if they're ignored they're not gonna get anywhere. These attacks and Leeds' importance in it shouldnt change anything.
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #9
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

You always get a certain amount of public disorder at any event, it does not just have to be dance music, it could feature all kinds of music, but with a similar feel to the 'Love Parade'. With regards the residents of Roundhay Park, the park belongs to the city not just the locals, but of course all efforts would have to be made to stop acts of unlawful behavior.

All in all the last Leeds Love Parade passed off with very few people being arrested by the police and even people who didn't have a particular interest in dance music said they enjoyed the day out.
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #10
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCITY
You always get a certain amount of public disorder at any event, it does not just have to be dance music, it could feature all kinds of music, but with a similar feel to the 'Love Parade'. With regards the residents of Roundhay Park, the park belongs to the city not just the locals, but of course all efforts would have to be made to stop acts of unlawful behavior.

All in all the last Leeds Love Parade passed off with very few people being arrested by the police and even people who didn't have a particular interest in dance music said they enjoyed the day out.
Wasn't quite unlawful behaviour - simply 200,000 people with no adequate portaloos or fencing / security, hence alot of people taking a slash in your rhodadendrums. The Council paid cleaners to sort Soldier's Field and the Park out for the masses of detritus left by the attendees, however they didn't offer much assistance to the residents who were affected by the vast number of people traipsing back through the suburbs. There was never that sort of problem with the big Roundhay Park concerts (U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Genesis and the Stones), mainly because attendance was restricted to 80,000 and the entire events were properly stage managed and 'fenced in'. Love Parade was like the free Brighton Concerts by Fat Boy Slim which paralysed the Brighton seafront and ended in several deaths because of the unprecedented turnout. These events need proper policing and restricted tickets.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #11
di Livio

Likes (Received): 300

The council launches 'Marketing Leeds' in September, a daunting task at the moment. It should give Leeds a higher profile in a similar manner to Salford's recent campaign, one shocking city.

No facetious comments please.

Last edited by di Livio; July 25th, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #12
Leeds No.1

I thought 'Marketing Leeds' was launched earlier in June or the beginning of July? Or is that when it was 'meant' to be launched?
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #13
di Livio

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
I thought 'Marketing Leeds' was launched earlier in June or the beginning of July? Or is that when it was 'meant' to be launched?
I'm not sure. there was an article about it in friday's Leeds Today. It advertised a launch party for the campaign, which includes a funky Leeds logo, in the Victoria Quarter during September.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #14
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Given the usual Yorkshire tight upper lip, we don't have things like that in our back yard, i'll consider that it's a no then!