search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2661
EuxTex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,097
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Interesting. Been tried before and failed, but it would be great fo finally crack the transatlantic routes.
Vancouver own a number of Canadian airports with Hamilton's John Munroe Airport among them. I'm unsure whether or not Air Canada still uses the airport or if Westjet is now the only resident passenger carrier, however, Hamilton does have a healthy cargo operation. It is more likely that the owners of Liverpool Airport would want to expand in the cargo field rather than trying to attract, (a dwindling,) "mothers'n'daughters" passenger base. The link between Canada and the UK's north and northwest in particular is growing ever more weak with the aging and dying off of early post war emigrants to central Canada. The withdrawal of national carriers (AC & BA) some time ago, to be replaced by "charter" type carriers (Air Transat, Thomas Cook etc.,) attests to the forgoing.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2662
Joe the red
Registered User
 
Joe the red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,756
Likes (Received): 4

Unfortunately, according to CAA's provisional stats, excellent though they are, DP&E may have jumped the gun in declaring August as the best month ever. It's close though.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport...Statistics.pdf
__________________
There is surely nothing worse than washing sieves
With the possible exception of being Garth Crooks

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2663
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,275
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the red View Post
Unfortunately, according to CAA's provisional stats, excellent though they are, DP&E may have jumped the gun in declaring August as the best month ever. It's close though.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport...Statistics.pdf
There are differences between the provisional and the official (they come out a few months down the line) stats though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2664
Joe the red
Registered User
 
Joe the red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,756
Likes (Received): 4

I was hoping that the more knowledgeable on the subject would contradict me.

Clearly I know what provisional stats are - and official for that matter - but surely the CAA stats released yesterday should be more accurate than those cited last week.

Again I'm happy, indeed hopeful, to be proved wrong.
__________________
There is surely nothing worse than washing sieves
With the possible exception of being Garth Crooks

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #2665
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,275
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the red View Post
I was hoping that the more knowledgeable on the subject would contradict me.

Clearly I know what provisional stats are - and official for that matter - but surely the CAA stats released yesterday should be more accurate than those cited last week.

Again I'm happy, indeed hopeful, to be proved wrong.
Dont be so sarky.

Well the provisonal figures are not very accurate. If you went back a month or two they reckoned that Liverpool had a scheduled route to Dubai and gave the totals for it too.

These latest provisional stats say that Liverpool has a Copenhagen route, it doesnt.

I have no idea why they have two sets of stats as its pointless if they are not accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2666
Joe the red
Registered User
 
Joe the red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,756
Likes (Received): 4

I wasn't trying to be sarky. I know that there are people more informed on the subject than I am - Martin, Cambrian and you for example. And as such, as someone who wants the airport to flourish, was hoping that there might be an anomaly or suchlike in the provisional stats. Given DP&E's penchant for providing inaccurate info, I thought I'd ask for clarification.

I'll take them with a pinch of salt in future.
__________________
There is surely nothing worse than washing sieves
With the possible exception of being Garth Crooks

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2667
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,275
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the red View Post
I wasn't trying to be sarky. I know that there are people more informed on the subject than I am - Martin, Cambrian and you for example. And as such, as someone who wants the airport to flourish, was hoping that there might be an anomaly or suchlike in the provisional stats. Given DP&E's penchant for providing inaccurate info, I thought I'd ask for clarification.

I'll take them with a pinch of salt in future.
Also accoring to the stats there is a Liverpool to errr Liverpool scheduled route that carried 1 passenger.

As I said before its pointless having stats unless they are accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2668
MarineMan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,200
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the red View Post
And as such, as someone who wants the airport to flourish,
The airports will stay a backwater until a direct rail station is built under the air terminal with direct connections to all major towns and cities in the North West and North Wales.

A percentage increase on a small figure is still a pittance.
MarineMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #2669
Martin S
Registered User
 
Martin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,104
Likes (Received): 3032

When I joined Friends of Liverpool Airport at the beginning of 1996, the FoLA magazine was boasting a 'greatest ever' total of 570,000 passengers for 1995. Now we have that in one month (albeit the busiest) so something must have gone right.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #2670
BeeGee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wirral - in a toll free LCR
Posts: 1,377
Likes (Received): 590

There are loads of things going right at JLA but the detail is in need of attention.

Arriving back on Sunday from a bright new (and clean) Alicante airport the drabness and downright dirtiness of Liverpool leaps out. The '08' carpet is appalling and needs ditching as do the numerous posters fixed to the walls with sellotape.

The walk to the baggage reclaim is for a number of visitors their first impression of Liverpool and it is one that fails miserably.
BeeGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2671
Louis1986
Registered User
 
Louis1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,015
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
There are loads of things going right at JLA but the detail is in need of attention.

Arriving back on Sunday from a bright new (and clean) Alicante airport the drabness and downright dirtiness of Liverpool leaps out. The '08' carpet is appalling and needs ditching as do the numerous posters fixed to the walls with sellotape.

The walk to the baggage reclaim is for a number of visitors their first impression of Liverpool and it is one that fails miserably.
yeah came back from estonia on thursday and that 08 carpet does stand out. Departures is good, but arrivals looks terrible. maybe thats the next step
Louis1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2672
Keayman
Registered User
 
Keayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,743
Likes (Received): 193

Left a splendid modern Faro airport last monday - and it's being updated and rebuilt in the shape of a plane and arrived back into a dodgy 20 minutes of the palne going everywhere in the back end of that U.S. Hurricane and those winds.

Anyway, I agree that the arrivals part of the JLA is in dire need of modrnisation. It's a good job it wasn't raining as well as half of the passengers were queuing outdoors.
__________________
www.inacityliving.blogspot.co.uk

Facebook group - Inacityliving - over 50,000 photos
Keayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2673
Rollingstone Gather
Registered User
 
Rollingstone Gather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 425
Likes (Received): 38

Ryanair and LPL

If you look at wikipedia entry for Ryanair Michael Oleary wants to go long haul:

RyanAtlantic


Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary, stated in April 2007 that Ryanair planned to launch a new long-haul airline around 2009.[36] The new airline would be separate from Ryanair and operate under a different branding. It would offer both low cost with fares starting at €10.00 and a business class service which would be much more expensive, intended to rival airlines like Virgin Atlantic. The new airline would operate from Ryanair's existing bases in Europe, to approximately six new bases in the United States. The new American bases will not be main bases such as New York's JFK airport, but smaller airports located outside major cities. It is planned that the new airline will eventually operate a fleet of 40 to 50 new Airbus A350XWB or Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft. Since the Boeing 787 is sold out of production until at least 2012, and the Airbus A350 XWB will not enter service until 2013, this would contribute a delay to the airline's launch. It was not stated if other aircraft would be operated in the interim. O'Leary indicated that he intends to purchase the aircraft, when market prices for new aircraft recede, according to demand. It is said that the name of the new airline will be RyanAtlantic and will sell tickets through the Ryanair website under an alliance agreement.[37]
In February 2010, O'Leary said the launch would be delayed until 2014, at the earliest, because of the shortage of suitable, cheap aircraft.[38]

Lets hope Liverpool's new owners try their best to get Ryanair into their north american airports.

Just come back from Bergamo airport into Liverpool on Ryanair, and that airport is really impressive, its like a really expensive department store selling mostly local and italian produce (high fashion, local food/alcohol specialities). It is something that LPL needs to replicate, not just tacky beatles badges and bags/tat.
Things like real ale, local businesses need to get a lookin to make LPL a distinctive offer.

Has anyone flown Wizzair?
Rollingstone Gather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #2674
EuxTex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,097
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone Gather View Post
Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary, stated in April 2007 that Ryanair planned to launch a new long-haul airline around 2009. The new airline would operate from Ryanair's existing bases in Europe, to approximately six new bases in the United States. The new American bases will not be main bases such as New York's JFK airport, but smaller airports located outside major cities.
I have my doubts as to the viability of this model. The major cities of the eastern seaboard of the United States are not, with one exception (New York City,) destination locations. Rather they are usually transit points and hubs for onward connecting flights. I am also at a loss to identify any secondary airports in the NYC area, with it's saturated airspace, were Ryanair could even land. Same with Boston with the closest airport that could handle trans-Atlantic flights (but would need major investment for USCBPA facilities) and little to no onward flights to major US hubs would be Worcester, MA. Baltimore-Washington airport is one that could handle these flights but I am extremely doubtful that BWI, being a DC airport would allow any foreign airline, excepting major national carriers, to operate a Lo-Co operation through DC airspace.

The Manchester-Sanford model is not applicable with that route being point-to-point traffic with virtualy no interline or onward traffic. Ryanair would need onward connections to the rest of North America's major centers in order for the airline to run a profitable operation and, isn't that what it's all about?

Last edited by EuxTex; September 22nd, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2675
world_rep
BANNED
 
world_rep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,082
Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
I am also at a loss to identify any secondary airports in the NYC area, with it's saturated airspace, were Ryanair could even land
I cant remember where I saw it, but I read Stewart Airport in NY county was an option for Ryanair. Obviously a long way from New York, but nothing new for Ryanair (after all isnt 'Frankfurt' Hahn some 116km away from Frankfurt?)

I suppose a few options come to mind for certain points:

Chicago Midway (a base for their SouthWest idols)
Toronto Hamilton
Manchester NH (Boston)

Just a few guesses anyway.
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2676
Gutterfighter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 323
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis1986 View Post
yeah came back from estonia on thursday and that 08 carpet does stand out. Departures is good, but arrivals looks terrible. maybe thats the next step
I used JLA over the w/e. Whilst I agree with some of the earlier comments about the arrivals area in particular needing some attention, I like using the airport. It is fast, not too big and really convenient for passengers. The new restaurant area looks good and is a big imporvement.

However, I've observed some problems with the taxis outside on three or four separate occasions this year. Basically, when I've told the drivers that I'm only going to an address in South Liverpool (the fare is usually around a tenner) they seem to get really annoyed and they've not been afraid of letting me and the other passengers in the cab know about it. On Sunday the driver was really frustrated and ended up trying to take a daft route to increase the fare as well as being a general pain in the backside.

I have sympathy with the drivers if they're having to queue for long periods waiting for flights to arrive and then they find out that they're not going to get a decent fare off the back of it but I think people are less likely to give a good tip if the journey is all rather unpleasant and they get a poor service. It's certainly not what you need after a late night flight and it's not exactly showing the City off in a good light.

Maybe I've just been unlucky and got some tired/angry drivers but I sense there is a wider problem here and I think a solution could/should be found - possibly having one local queue say for say within the City of Liverpool boundary and then maybe a second longer-distance one? At least that way the drivers know what they're getting and they can chose whether they want to go for more shorter journeys or fewer larger fares. That would mean a second barrier area so I guess it ain't gonna happen but I do think something should be done.

My only other comment is that it is ridiculous Wizz Air were able to change the date of my flight (they moved it forward by 24 hours) without giving me much advance notice or any compensation.

Sorry - rant over but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has come across the taxi issue.
Gutterfighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #2677
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,275
Likes (Received): 1604

Drivers cant choose fares, cherry picking is illegal in the taxi business and should be reported to the city council licensing dept.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #2678
tomo90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 4,775
Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterfighter View Post
However, I've observed some problems with the taxis outside on three or four separate occasions this year. Basically, when I've told the drivers that I'm only going to an address in South Liverpool (the fare is usually around a tenner) they seem to get really annoyed and they've not been afraid of letting me and the other passengers in the cab know about it. On Sunday the driver was really frustrated and ended up trying to take a daft route to increase the fare as well as being a general pain in the backside.

I have sympathy with the drivers if they're having to queue for long periods waiting for flights to arrive and then they find out that they're not going to get a decent fare off the back of it but I think people are less likely to give a good tip if the journey is all rather unpleasant and they get a poor service. It's certainly not what you need after a late night flight and it's not exactly showing the City off in a good light.

Maybe I've just been unlucky and got some tired/angry drivers but I sense there is a wider problem here and I think a solution could/should be found - possibly having one local queue say for say within the City of Liverpool boundary and then maybe a second longer-distance one? At least that way the drivers know what they're getting and they can chose whether they want to go for more shorter journeys or fewer larger fares. That would mean a second barrier area so I guess it ain't gonna happen but I do think something should be done.

Sorry - rant over but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has come across the taxi issue.
I noticed this on sat but on Dale Street after a night out. I said Mossley Hill and he was about to say no but if it is against the law then I guess he realised he could not. Cheeky **** though its not like Im going to London Road lol Mossley Hill is far enough.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2679
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,275
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
I noticed this on sat but on Dale Street after a night out. I said Mossley Hill and he was about to say no but if it is against the law then I guess he realised he could not. Cheeky **** though its not like Im going to London Road lol Mossley Hill is far enough.
As I said if it happens, take their number and report them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #2680
tomo90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 4,775
Likes (Received): 922

He probs wanted someone from Runcorn or Halewood.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
airports, airports of north england

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu