search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5661
world_rep
BANNED
 
world_rep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,082
Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
but I know others who won't use Liverpool airport as there are less shops than Manchester, no airbridges and because the carpets are too old
'Comfort' is another issue completely. However, 'avoiding' an airport because of a possible £2.80 charge is just stupid and if that £2.80 is enough to sway your decision, then perhaps that signals your purse strings are better spent than on a holiday?

Quote:
You may criticise the irrational blind support of some Liverpool airport supporters on one hand
Im glad you have now seen it for what it truly is. Bravo sir!
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #5662
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,276
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
Are you my wife in disguise..in answer to your question, depends who was in the car....seriously though, you have just proved my point about being fleeced, if it was lashing down I would more than likely use the pay for drop off area, and I think the airport know that. , hence offering the free car park in the most non useful place possible..
Proved your point?

Not having that, your paying the same £2 now and £2 in the future in the same car park.

And if it was lashing down as you put it, I bet your passengers are glad of your benevolence!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #5663
Another Chaps
Ian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 903
Likes (Received): 249

My question is do you have to pay just because one your passengers is disabled and cannot walk far and if that is the case why ( not just a liverpool question but relevent to anywhere

Ian
Another Chaps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #5664
Centurio
Registered User
 
Centurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twickenham
Posts: 8,038
Likes (Received): 4527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Chaps View Post
My question is do you have to pay just because one your passengers is disabled and cannot walk far and if that is the case why ( not just a liverpool question but relevent to anywhere

Ian
According to the below, blue badge holders exempt (and in fact looks like they also get an extra 10 mins on top of the 20 too).

http://www.liverpoolairport.com/car-...-parking-faqs/
__________________

-
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #5665
Uomo Senza Nome
Registered User
 
Uomo Senza Nome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: High Plains
Posts: 4,640
Likes (Received): 914

Right, I hate the green lobby, but...

If the airport has excellent ground transport facilities, like Metrolink( Park n Ride) and off-site parking and trains then maybe, just maybe drop offs by Joe Public could be charged for?

Then again, it is King Canute time and just a tax.

Ask me again in a day and I may be swayed again.
__________________
High Plains Drifter

baldyman26 liked this post
Uomo Senza Nome está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #5666
baldyman26
Registered User
 
baldyman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
Proved your point?

Not having that, your paying the same £2 now and £2 in the future in the same car park.

And if it was lashing down as you put it, I bet your passengers are glad of your benevolence!
Benevolence has nothing to do with this, I think the word you are looking for is convenience. Ok so in the interests of fairness, and as we are both clearly right, I will end my stance by saying this.. As it is/was "the old way", I wouldn't have to pay anything to drop my passengers, or indeed pick them up across the road from the terminal. Now, my passengers have to either walk "up to 10 mins" (baggage and duty free in hand) as stated on the airport web site, or pay the money.. The airport have put the free car park in such a place that they are betting on most people paying the money.. That is my point about fleecing.

All petty arguing and joking aside I just think this is a PR disaster for an airport desperate to attract more passengers. A while back it was discussed that transport links are a reason that could stop an airline investing in Liverpool, well what about high car parking charges or passenger satisfaction scores.
__________________
That's nice
baldyman26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #5667
SteH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
All petty arguing and joking aside I just think this is a PR disaster for an airport desperate to attract more passengers. A while back it was discussed that transport links are a reason that could stop an airline investing in Liverpool, well what about high car parking charges or passenger satisfaction scores.
But is is due to customer feedback that they have introduced this, as people felt 5 minutes was a ridiculous amount of time for free parking, and also for safety/traffic flow reasons. The only PR issue is due to a certain local paper with an agenda for negativity who were happy to print a letter from a man in Bootle saying he'd use Manchester instead, but not mine that logically argued it was ridiculous and not cost effective to do that.
__________________

Centurio liked this post
SteH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #5668
SteH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 77

It looks like Tony Snell will be discussing this on Radio Merseyside tomorrow. I have tried to point out that you can still drop off for free, and most other airports charge, yet there is a lot of negativity on there, here's some of the comments:-

Its 2.90 in manchester now. But free to drop off. And liverpool want more passengers so they start to charge. Not a good idea. Thats peel holdings for ya.

If I could get flights to Antalya from JLA I'd use it.....pity there making it so restrictive both with choice of flights and parking restrictions

If they do this JLA will go Down fast why can't they leave it as it is even at. Manchester you can drop off at the departure door

Just part of the attraction is being able to drop off and pick up quickly, easily and not having to fumble around with change and worry about charges. There are lots of other really great ways JLA can earn revenue. This isn't one of them. JLA we love you lots but you definitely need to talk to us

Just left JLA and the cost of parking for a taxi is £2 and this will now be added to the customers fare. How can it be right to be charged to drop someone off when we, the customer will spend money in the airport. If I could get off the plane and straight into the terminal instead of being paraded across the Tarmac maybe I wouldn't be having a rant. Take what they can off the customer, who at JLA isn't always right!!
SteH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #5669
baldyman26
Registered User
 
baldyman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 69

Yes steh i take your point on board, but I am not talking about parking, I am talking about pick up/drop off..5 mins is or should be fine for that. 20 mins free parking is a very generous offering for any airport, and I would be the first one to jump to he defence of the airport if the new free car parking area wasn't in such a stupid place.. Sorry this post was meant to be above your last one
__________________
That's nice
baldyman26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #5670
Centurio
Registered User
 
Centurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twickenham
Posts: 8,038
Likes (Received): 4527

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
Yes steh i take your point on board, but I am not talking about parking, I am talking about pick up/drop off..5 mins is or should be fine for that. 20 mins free parking is a very generous offering for any airport, and I would be the first one to jump to he defence of the airport if the new free car parking area wasn't in such a stupid place.. Sorry this post was meant to be above your last one
If the free car park was in a place that was virtually no difference/inconvenience versus the express drop then no one would use the express drop off at all.

Aside from the money angle, that would mean the free facility would need to deal with all the traffic, with ensuing complications for allowing 20 minutes (as that inherently means more people hanging around).

Organising traffic in the way the airport has done makes eminent sense for ensuring that traffic runs smoothly.

5 minutes might be sufficient to pull up and chuck someone out with their luggage, say a quick goodbye and on your way, however 20 minutes free or paid means being able to help them with their luggage to the check in desk, and bid them goodbye in a leisurely fashion, as well as not having to time meeting arrivals with precision accuracy. Much more civilised.

If you want to drop someone off or pick them up at the door, then dip your hand into your pocket and cough up the £2 to do so. Alternatively, if you want to save the £2 then park further and walk - they've provided you at least with a legitimate option that other airports don't.
__________________

-

EZYLPL liked this post
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #5671
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,276
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
Benevolence has nothing to do with this, I think the word you are looking for is convenience. Ok so in the interests of fairness, and as we are both clearly right, I will end my stance by saying this.. As it is/was "the old way", I wouldn't have to pay anything to drop my passengers, or indeed pick them up across the road from the terminal. Now, my passengers have to either walk "up to 10 mins" (baggage and duty free in hand) as stated on the airport web site, or pay the money.. The airport have put the free car park in such a place that they are betting on most people paying the money.. That is my point about fleecing.

All petty arguing and joking aside I just think this is a PR disaster for an airport desperate to attract more passengers. A while back it was discussed that transport links are a reason that could stop an airline investing in Liverpool, well what about high car parking charges or passenger satisfaction scores.
Firstly. As I have already proven beyond doubt, and with the airport taking on the complaints that 5 minutes unloading time isnt enough, nobody will lose out by parking in the same spot as they do now.

Secondly. As for PR disaster, you and they have taken the Echo as the purveyor of truth, and the actual facts prove otherwise.

Thirdly. Your point about the airport relying on the driver using the current car park because the new car park is out of the way, is totally missing the point. By staying in the current car park before and after the new car park becomes operable then you wont be paying anymore, indeed you will be likely to pay less or getting more time for the same cost.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #5672
baldyman26
Registered User
 
baldyman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 69

I do apologise for objecting to the airport wanting to charge people for express drop off then.. How anybody can find a good spin on this is beyond me, but I won't argue further as we are entitled to our own opinions..
__________________
That's nice
baldyman26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #5673
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,276
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
I do apologise for objecting to the airport wanting to charge people for express drop off then.. How anybody can find a good spin on this is beyond me, but I won't argue further as we are entitled to our own opinions..
You can object all you want, but get your facts right in the first place otherwise your points fall flat.

Again, look at all the scenarios I produced earlier and its proves beyond all doubt that you will get more for your money after the new set up is in place. Dont believe all you read in the Echo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #5674
baldyman26
Registered User
 
baldyman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 69

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
You can object all you want, but get your facts right in the first place otherwise your points fall flat.

Again, look at all the scenarios I produced earlier and its proves beyond all doubt that you will get more for your money after the new set up is in place. Dont believe all you read in the Echo.

You can quote scenarios all you like - it's what is written in the echo (and I think it is quite accurate on the subject of drop of) that the public have seen, and it's what is written that does the damage.
The top and bottom of it is, Liverpool have given the echo the fuel to start this fire.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...t-axes-7120871

Look, I'm not looking for a petty row with anybody, in fact the scenarios you posted, I do completely agree with some of them, but I am talking about pick up and drop off, not parking..

Right lets move on..
__________________
That's nice
baldyman26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5675
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 6,276
Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman26 View Post
You can quote scenarios all you like - it's what is written in the echo (and I think it is quite accurate on the subject of drop of) that the public have seen, and it's what is written that does the damage.
The top and bottom of it is, Liverpool have given the echo the fuel to start this fire.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...t-axes-7120871

Look, I'm not looking for a petty row with anybody, in fact the scenarios you posted, I do completely agree with some of them, but I am talking about pick up and drop off, not parking..

Right lets move on..
You are right that what was written in the Echo has done the damage.

However, you and those who have read the Echo have believed all that they have put down. But as I said and proved it is mis-information.

Despite overwhelmingly proving what you have taken as gospel as being a lie, you still believe what was written by them, ie no free parking for dropping off/picking up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #5676
Scottie Dog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 92

Provisional statistic for May from the CAA are now available, but not great reading.

Movements - month on month: 2791 (-11.6pc)
Movements - rolling year: 32109 (-5pc)
Passengers - month on month: 371862 (-6.2pc)
Passengers - rolling year: 4143855 (-5.2pc)
Scottie Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #5677
Centurio
Registered User
 
Centurio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twickenham
Posts: 8,038
Likes (Received): 4527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dog View Post
Provisional statistic for May from the CAA are now available, but not great reading.

Movements - month on month: 2791 (-11.6pc)
Movements - rolling year: 32109 (-5pc)
Passengers - month on month: 371862 (-6.2pc)
Passengers - rolling year: 4143855 (-5.2pc)
Well, flights down (for now), but the passenger loadings themselves are clearly up month on month. Not all bad.
__________________

-
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #5678
Scottie Dog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 92

Yes Centurio I agree and was going to add that comment and then the wifi connection died!!

Passenger numbers down percentage-wise less than movements does at least mean higher load factors - as long as the yield stays at an exceptable level.
Scottie Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #5679
Vulcan's Finest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: None these days.
Posts: 7,075
Likes (Received): 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dog View Post
Passenger numbers down percentage-wise less than movements does at least mean higher load factors - as long as the yield stays at an exceptable level.
It doesn't however necessarily mean that the remaining flights are suddenly doing any better than before - it might just be that the flights that have been axed had such poor load factors that they dragged down the average.

Such a big reduction in flight movements will be bad news for any airport, because landing fees and aircraft services are a major source of income.
Vulcan's Finest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #5680
Bogeyana
Registered User
 
Bogeyana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 7,998
Likes (Received): 2058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan's Finest View Post
It doesn't however necessarily mean that the remaining flights are suddenly doing any better than before - it might just be that the flights that have been axed had such poor load factors that they dragged down the average.

Such a big reduction in flight movements will be bad news for any airport, because landing fees and aircraft services are a major source of income.
Nothing like compounding bad news eh VF. Bet if you dug around a bit you'd likely find some more. Go on, go for it!!!
__________________
"Liverpudlians are right to feel unique, just like New Yorkers believe they're unique, and for much the same reasons."
Graham Turner 1967.

(Graham Turner is not a Scouser)
Bogeyana no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
airports, airports of north england

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu