daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Cityscapes

Cityscapes discussion, photography and news of towns, cities, districts and states.

Old July 30th, 2003, 03:59 AM   #1
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1061

MSC, Now A Reality And A Success, Says Dr Mahathir

MSC, Now A Reality And A Success, Says Dr Mahathir

Source ~ Bernama

July 30, CYBERJAYA, -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad says those who still doubted that the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) project would be a reality should look at the number of MSC-status companies registered todate.

He said that while the government had originally targeted to have 500 MSC-status companies by 2003, the number now stood at around 800 companies.

"If that is not success, then what is success," he said at the official opening of the Ericsson@MSC building here, he said.

Ericsson@MSC, costing RM80 million, is Ericsson's regional hub and headquarters for Ericsson Malaysia.

The building houses a flagship showcase of "live" networks showing the evolution of mobile telecommunications standard from Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) to third generation.

Dr Mahathir said it was companies like Ericsson that aided the government's aspiration in turning Cyberjaya into a hub for information age industry a success.

"We are now seeing many more companies moving into Cyberjaya," he added.

Malaysia, he said, was "glad to be associated" with Ericsson as it has the edge in telecommunications technology and the foresight on what future technology would be.

"We want to move along with the rest of the world and want to ensure that we are conversant with state-of-the-art technology," said Dr Mahathir.

Later, when opening the HSBC Electronic Data Processing (Malasyia) Sdn Bhd here also, he said sceptics of the MSC project would now have to swallow their words like those who had also condemned the national car project.

"We are familiar with people telling us that what we are doing is wrong but it has been shown that they'll have to swallow their words later on," he said.

Dr Mahathir said the government was not too worried about that kind of people.

He said the government's business-friendly policy had paid off handsomely as many companies wanted to invest in Malaysia.

"Thanks to that policy, Malaysia had attracted foreign investments long before "Foreign Direct Investment" became a favourite catchphrase," he said.

Beginning with the electronics industry in the 1970s, he said, Malaysia had now turned to Information Technology (IT) to spur its economy further.

Dr Mahathir said the decision by major companies such as HSBC to set up the facility in Cyberjaya was a good one as the intelligent city was specifically built to cater to the needs of businesses operating on a worldwide basis.

It is HSBC's sixth and largest Group Service Centre (GSC) where all kinds of transactions will be processed, namely those sent from group offices in the United States, the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

The other GSCs are in Hyderabad and Bangalore in India and Shanghai and Guangzhou in China.

Speaking at a press conference, HSBC Group chief Operating Officer, Alan Jebson, said the company would be investing some RM80 million for its Malaysian GSC over the next three years,

He said the GSC was expected to employ 550 people by year-end.

Currently operating in a temporary building, the GSC, which started operations in April, will move to a purpose-built facility of 200,000 square feet.

The new building, located just across the road from the current one, is due for completion next year.
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 30th, 2003, 04:14 AM   #2
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

Last time, Businessweek mag condemned MSC saying it will never work, and few days later after the publish, 20 international companies came to invest in MSC.
So many "yeah, right" attitude even among Malaysians.
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:31 AM   #3
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by baqthier

Last time, Businessweek mag condemned MSC saying it will never work, and few days later after the publish, 20 international companies came to invest in MSC.
So many "yeah, right" attitude even among Malaysians.
And it is not easy being an MSC company. There are many whom status is withdrawn due to lack of committment and not compliant to the MSC guideline.

Not any 'Tom, Dick & Harry' companies could become an MSC status company by the way........
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #4
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

already a success, then now can make MSC2

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #5
ethan

Likes (Received): 3

Now Malaysia focus on Biovalley.....near the MSC right????

Malaysia Truly Asia
ethan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #6
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan

Now Malaysia focus on Biovalley.....near the MSC right????
yup....at Dengkil...next to E-Village. BioValley is to spur the country into bio-technology...
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #7
ethan

Is E-Village still exist? I thought that it is a failure.........and closed already.

Malaysia Truly Asia
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #8
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:

Is E-Village still exist? I thought that it is a failure.........and closed already.
Errr.....although not much news coming from it but I am sure it still on as the govt invested a lot of money in it (I've seen the buildings.....damn cun!) so I don't think they are closing it down. Furthermore last year they managed to get some Bollywood movie makers to film there....
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #9
ethan

Quote:
Originally posted by szehoong

Errr.....although not much news coming from it but I am sure it still on as the govt invested a lot of money in it (I've seen the buildings.....damn cun!) so I don't think they are closing it down. Furthermore last year they managed to get some Bollywood movie makers to film there....
got any pictures on E-Village??? I had never seen any photos on E-Village before.

Malaysia Truly Asia
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #10
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:

got any pictures on E-Village??? I had never seen any photos on E-Village before.
no pictures lar...the last time I went there is like 3 years ago.....and it was raining!
Old August 16th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #11
TYW

MSC to cover other states next year

MSC to cover other states next year

THE Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC), tasked with being the catalyst for the development of the country's information and communications technology (ICT) industry, would be expanding to several other states beginning next year.

Datuk Dr Mohamed Arif Nun, chief executive officer of the Multimedia Development Corp (MDC), which overlooks the MSC, said the expansion would link the MSC to incubator centres in Kulim High Technology Park in Kedah and Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in Penang.

“The aim is to ensure that the MSC model is studied by other states as well, so that modernisation and progress can be enjoyed by all states and all levels of society,” he said at the launch of the Baling-Sik ICT 2003 Carnival at Kuala Ketil Secondary School near Baling, Kedah on Tuesday.

His speech was read by MDC senior manager Najat Ahmad Marzuki.

Arif said MSC's achievement to date had been very encouraging, with the number of companies drawn to there totalling more than 900, including 59 international companies.

“The figure has well exceeded the original target of 500 companies by the end of this year,” he said.

Arif said prime applications from the MSC such as the Smart Schools, Telemedicine, and electronic government were also aimed at developing a modern and competitive Malaysia with knowledge of technology as part of the people's lifestyle.

He said the implementation of Smart Schools was also aimed at bringing about well rounded development for the country's youth, which would in turn produce knowledgeable workers with vision and who were well versed in information technology.

Arif said the government had recently announced plans to build 300 more Smart Schools in two years, adding to the 87 now.

He said the plan was to turn all Malaysian schools into Smart Schools by 2010. – Bernama

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #12
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 1

wow GREAT news TYW..

but Kulim 2 USM..a little bit tooo far i guess
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #13
archilless

Likes (Received):

why dont MSC covers all states.. then we will become an IT nation..
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #14
vinzlim

Likes (Received):

we don't have the resources .....first of all
besides the facilities... just a settlement, nothing else, just sweet names..
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:09 AM   #15
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by vinzlim

we don't have the resources .....first of all
besides the facilities... just a settlement, nothing else, just sweet names..
Actually you a bit terbalik here.....we have the infrastructure and resources available but lack of settlement and life at the core places of MSC like Cyberjaya & Technology Park. So far KLCC fared best.

Actually the entire south of KL is part of MSC so I am sure places like Cheras and Subang aren't deviod of resources and life. Just that the core of the MSC needs improvement.

There are actually quite a number of innovations since the start of MSC........you need to be in the technology circle to know about these innovations as they are mainly B2B. The SMS booking on AirAsia is one example and the new 'tiny' (or they say the world's smallest) Tablet PC are developed by an MSC company too.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM   #16
TYW

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo

wow GREAT news TYW..

but Kulim 2 USM..a little bit tooo far i guess
not far lah i think i wonder how will the sea serve as part of the MSC?? maybe buildings on water

Old August 23rd, 2003, 06:16 AM   #17
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by TYW

not far lah i think i wonder how will the sea serve as part of the MSC?? maybe buildings on water
Aiyoh.....U think MSC meaning that everything in it must be high-tech wan meh? If like that my house also must be high-tech lor as it is within MSC!

So what about my longkang outside?
Old August 24th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #18
archilless

Likes (Received):

Nippon Telecom & Telegrapgh (NTT) building in Cyberjaya look very tropical.. not steel-glass style..
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #19
SEED

Likes (Received): 4

does that mean most of the state in malaysia will hav this MSC thingz in the future?? anyway~ wat they look like?? a big hi-tech city?? or just normal little suburb wit small hi-tech kinda facility??
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #20
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by archilless

Nippon Telecom & Telegrapgh (NTT) building in Cyberjaya look very tropical.. not steel-glass style..
NTT is one of the earliest to be located in Putrajaya.