daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Old March 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
aland
aland

Likes (Received): 0

gm+ad: Clyde Street 2

we'll be lodging a planning application for the remainder of the terrace next to Unicorn on Thursday 16th.

As soon as it's declared valid ......I'll post some images .
aland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Russell1

Likes (Received): 3

This the 'GPMU' building? Good news, look forward to the images.
Russell1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #3
aland
aland

the other side russell, the terraces.
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #4
space_invader

Some kind of 'Black Magic' pastiche (in granite?) may work well alongside the Rocher box-inspired Unicorn, methinks

Milk Tray's a no-no, tho.
space_invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #5
gleegie
Urban Realm

Quite a fat site, could be a chunky build if 14 floors? Why not develop in a oner though? I noticed the same with River Heights, I presume phase 2 is dependant on a successful phase 1? Should I presume too that the design shall mirror Unicorn?

and yeah, GPMU is increasingly at variance with its more illustrious peers, less it's just there to make CHQ look good.
gleegie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #6
jet_acrimony

That P/P scheme still does nothing for me.......

Let's hope the new gm+ad scheme will draw attention away from it.....
jet_acrimony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #7
space_invader

Due respect to aland's drawing skills but I don't think the PP scheme is being shown in its best light in the above pic.

I'm ready to defend the design. I like it - a lot. Yeah, there's many things to resolve, but if it does go ahead, I'm sure PP wil refine the design suitably.

I've been lucky enough to see many development drawings, sketches, ideas for this scheme and think its not received the best of responses because of its poor media exposure.

I think having the PP 'waspsnest' along side the GMAD ‘chocolate box’ schemes and Elder and Cannon's ‘filing cabinet’ will be great for what should be a core city zone.

i also find it interesting that CHQ is slagged, PP waspnest is slagged, filing cabinet is often slagged here too. All three represent diffrent strands of contemporary design but none seem to satisfy.

Apologies Aland if you feel this thread has been hijacked however I think in this case, a wider discussion of the context your design willl be placed within, is valid.
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Socceroo

Likes (Received): 2

I like the Filing Cabinet even more now than i did originally. It kind of grows on you, i particularly like the the side wall cladding details.

I wait with interest the GM + AD treatment of the Clyde Street Terraces. They are in a sorry state, i was actually wondering a couple of weeks ago if someone would put in a scheme to give them some radical surgery, given the amount of new stuff that is going on down there.

I am all for regeneration and conservation but the Terraces, whilst old, are pretty bland.

With regards to P&P's proposals i like what i see. If i want to get upset about anything on that particular stretch of the Clyde then i need only look at that red brick and tangerine tiled "Silverbank" development. It is going to look even more out of place down there once all this other stuff kicks in.

Difficult to be negative about P&P stuff and dare i say it - even RMJM's stuff down there which is not built, when we have shite like "Silverbank" polluting the atmosphere.
Socceroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 242

MMM kept this one quiet Alan... probly coz of all the hulabaloo with AHS of previous methinks aye ?

New build or Preserve? i hope its not a preserve they are not worth preserving are they ?

Anyways hope and wait with anticipation for this new development...good work alan.

M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #10
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 44

Worth is a subjective matter Mo... they aint worth much to us today, who knows tho... the Gorbals was considered worthless in the not too distant past. Anywho, thats beside the point bescause its crying out for something to be done now that Unicorn has the go ahead.

Best of luck Alan!

ps... love the chocolate box idea Spacey hehe we should be having a bit of fun down there. Although in saying that, some of the developments really do take the piss!
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

Slip out of darkness, it is time.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #11
space_invader

yknow, some developer in 2206 might want to demolish the unicorn and icon buildings in order to develop a spaceport or an alien immigration centre or perhaps a military base.

Obviously historic scotland (still goig strong) would be up in arms - "elder and cannon, and gm+ad-designed buldings are part of our heritage, and these buildings are classic examples of blah blah blah . . ."

actually, what DO these kind of buildings - speculative housing - represent? what do they say about economics and design at the start of the Scottish 21st century?
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #12
gleegie
Urban Realm

Due deference to gm+ad, but I'd take the Spaceport.

The tenements were speculative housing too, differences now are a wider range of architecture (no unique Glasgow style) and smaller plots from land constraints, hence no sweeping avenues/crescents but potential to develop a skyline.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #13
space_invader

gleegie - I like yer horizontal v vertical analysis there.
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #14
gleegie
Urban Realm

Alan has unveiled 236-246 Clyde Street material.

Fantastic!
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #15
gweilo
Jacobsian sentimentalist

Likes (Received): 1

Very interesting Alan. I have to admit to being nervous about this one as even though I don't think the existing townhouses are anything special I liked the juxtaposition / change in scale between both them and the Edwardian building and the Unicorn. I needn't have worried! It handles the transition between the witches hat building's load bearing masonary construction with windows punched through, to the sheer glass cliff of the Unicorn, very convincingly. The courtyard at the back is also interesting and a welcome re run of an old Glasgow typology. A modern version of what was sadly destroyed at the Virgina Galleries and along similar lines to LA's Bradbury Building. Shaping up to be a worthwhile addition to the Clyde skyline.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #16
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 139

Good grief. That is one interesting building indeed. I think like the Unicorn it takes a few viewings to get your head around it, but I already think itis pretty damn good. Certainly revolutionary, something that the city, and the waterfront in particular, is lacking just now.

First impressions are very promising
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #17
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 242

Good prespectives gleegie thanks for them.

like the building alan very nice indeed...the panels on the facia of the buiding are they metal or ceramic ?

Also like the apexed skylights to the rear stairwells gives it a real classy touch to the building.

A few retail outlets at the bottom i presume... and also underground car parking i take it.

Look forward to the completion of this one.
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #18
outofchaosaworld

Interesting. Not quite what i expected i have to say. Its a more difficult situatioan than one might expect to create your own context for a building and even harder when you have to come in afterwards and alter the perceived contextual and conceptual approach to a previous scheme. That strikes me as what has happened here to a degree. I rather liked the way that UNicorn and the E&C block sat as two distinct and complimentary verticals. That has been diluted with this proposal which is a shame.

That being said there are interesting things there. Its a valiant attempt to create a modern language which responds to Victorian context. It seems rather more successful in the elevations than the render though, they just seem to have a greater weight and consistancy and are slightly less fussy. It strikes me that the material treatment is going to be key.

I would personally rather have seen a straight continuation of the Unicorn treatment across this block as i am unsure why there needs to be a difference in treatment and expression beyond the accidental fact that they are on different plots. That interior does look very good though.
outofchaosaworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #19
Socceroo

Likes (Received): 2

That's a busy building. Really taken by the front elevation, quite classy indeed. Interesting cladding details which i assume are metal and i like the step back with sloped (glass?) panels. Roof "box / pod" details look stunning. Don't think the developers would have any problem selling those flats.

Every time you look at the images you see something else that you missed the first time you looked.

Must have been a difficult thing to pull off, developing the design of one site -The Unicorn and then undertaking something quite, quite different on the adjacent plot.

I can imagine it would have been quite mentally draining and would involve a lot of brain storming before settling on the submitted design.

It is a very complimentary design the way that it sits between the existing building and the proposed Unicorn building.

Hope these buildings are reaching skywards soon. A great thing for Glasgow, and it would raise the pole a good bit down in that particular area before other proposed developments commence.

All in all another very nice one.
Socceroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #20
aland
aland

Chris Malcolm and Carlo Guidi are the architects, Gordon the partner. I was not involved at all...........we deliberatly set out to do something different socceroo take a fresh approach. Complimentary but different from Unicorn.

Thanks for you comments, gweilo hav'nt heard from you for a while. Gleegie has also asked me for more information, I'll suss it out and send it on

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: