daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Old January 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
LoneReaction
Poly Student

Likes (Received): 0

Impact of long distance planes on Singapore

I have to do a presentation that is due around 8 days later, and would not mind opinions/suggestions of any kind. (Got 4 other projects due around the same time, freakin stressed >_<)

I got 30 topics (all about singapore) to do a presentation on, and I chose:
Identify either one new invention, or new technology in the world. Share the infomation with your classmates. Describe the implications this new technology or invention would have for Singapore.

I chose to present about the airbus and similar planes that can bypass singapore. Finding infomation about the planes I'm sure will be easy, but I don't know how much the new planes will affect singapore.
And also, what can Singapore do to prevent it from losing it's airhub status because of the plane? (would suggesting that Singapore accept defeat and invest in other areas instead of air be better? But I don't think this is acceptable because Singapore losing her air hub status will also be a hit for tourism.)

I found these links on the subject:
(2004, old) http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/01/19....rivalry.reut/

http://66.94.231.168/search/cache?p=...icp=1&.intl=sg

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040224/19/nuek.html

off-topic: This forum is very interesting But where is the "search" function?

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

welcome and enjoy yourself browsing the forum

I dunno but I can see the search function!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #3
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneReaction
I have to do a presentation that is due around 8 days later, and would not mind opinions/suggestions of any kind. (Got 4 other projects due around the same time, freakin stressed >_<)

I got 30 topics (all about singapore) to do a presentation on, and I chose:
Identify either one new invention, or new technology in the world. Share the infomation with your classmates. Describe the implications this new technology or invention would have for Singapore.

I chose to present about the airbus and similar planes that can bypass singapore. Finding infomation about the planes I'm sure will be easy, but I don't know how much the new planes will affect singapore.
And also, what can Singapore do to prevent it from losing it's airhub status because of the plane? (would suggesting that Singapore accept defeat and invest in other areas instead of air be better? But I don't think this is acceptable because Singapore losing her air hub status will also be a hit for tourism.)

I found these links on the subject:
(2004, old) http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/01/19....rivalry.reut/

http://66.94.231.168/search/cache?p=...icp=1&.intl=sg

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040224/19/nuek.html

off-topic: This forum is very interesting But where is the "search" function?
Airbus A340-500 is capable of travelling 16.600 km in both ways. Other rival Boeing also produces Boeing B777-200LR, capable of flying over great distance of 17,446 in one way. Other way, it has to make technical stop due to high winds that force the planes to consume more fuel.

Recently, Emirates has non-stop A340-500 flights to Melbourne from Dubai, bypassing Singapore. It is the only one recorded flight that actually bypasses Singapore.

However not many airlines jumped the guns and buy long range jetliners. Qantas wanted to have long range jets that can travel from Sydney to London - 17039 km with full loads and able to fly in both ways without technical stops. Most of Qantas Boeing 747-400s and even B747-400ER have to make technical stops in Singapore. Both airliners could not meet the criteria of Qantas.

Singapore is a hub of Qantas flights which accounts most of daily flights. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...777360450.html

Singapore Changi Airport has to innovate the airport terminal services and ground handling as well as the cost of landing fees to compete with other airports around the world especially Bangkok and Dubai which is aggresively expanding to become a hub to European nations and Middle East nations. Construction of Budget Terminal is one of the projects that focus on the market of budget travellers. The land has been aside for construction of Terminal 4 is undergoing planning to handle future increase in passengers and planes into Changi.

Narita, Taipei and Hong Kong all have experienced the impact of long range flights - Thai Airways has flights to New York, bypassing these airports as well as Singapore Airlines flights to Los Angeles and New York, bypassing these airports. Emirates has also flight to New York, bypassing these airports.

Australia and New Zealand are the most potential countries to have non-stop flights from cities in these countries to cities in Europeans and Middle East that can bypass Singapore.

Currently, Emirates, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways are operating Airbus A340-500.

Eva Air and Pakistan Airways acquire Boeing B777-200LR.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #4
LoneReaction
Poly Student

Thanks JediAlf! From what you typed it does not seem to have a huge impact now, but we have to plan for the future.

(I really don't see any search..just userCp, Gallery, etc)
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #5
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Thanks JediAlf! From what you typed it does not seem to have a huge impact now, but we have to plan for the future.

(I really don't see any search..just userCp, Gallery, etc)
Correct.

Once Boeing and Airbus have produced better long range planes that can fly non stop from Europe to Australia/New Zealand. The impact can be felt. Imagine scores of European carriers and Qantas fly these planes, bypassing Singapore which can cause drop in tourism to Singapore.

The threat are mostly flights between Middle East/Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

London Heathrow airport is one of the heaviest hubs where many airlines are struggling to get in. Once you connect London to Sydney, you can expect FULL LOAD on the planes in both ways!
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 1

@LoneReaction: sorry I can't add much over what JediAlf said, he seems to be the master here ;-) But I can say that I think your topic pick is quite clever and interesting so... good luck to you ^ ^
Welcome to the forum btw, and no, there is no search function. RafflesCity has it, I assume, because he is a mod ^ ^
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

LoneReaction, try...

http://www.pprune.org

It's a brilliant aviation forum, frequented by professional pilots and general aviation pilots but who don't frown upon outsiders.

If you want advice from people who really know exactly what's what about flying, from any angle you can possibly think of, you'll learn it here. Start a thread in the 'Jet Blast' section if you're unsure. In no time you'll have heaps of very honest, frank and knowledgable answers from people in the business who really know their shit. (Excuse my French).

I don't doubt you'll get heaps of replies from Airbus/Boeing pilots alike, not to mention crew, groundstaff etc., many of whom will work for Singapore Airlines, Qantas, BA, etc., etc., who are more than happy to debate such a topic seeing as it could affect all of their day to day activities.

Only takes a few seconds to sign up. You won't regret it. Good luck, and keep the blue side up!

Last edited by Phenomenal Fullerton; February 2nd, 2006 at 07:06 AM.
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #8
LoneReaction
Poly Student

What does "keep the blue side up" mean?
And thanks for the link!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Phenomenal Fullerton

Quote:
What does "keep the blue side up" mean?
And thanks for the link!
No problemo. The 'blue side' is the sky.

Last edited by Phenomenal Fullerton; February 3rd, 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #10
Phenomenal Fullerton

^ Sorry, deleted duplicate post