SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[D] Germany | road infrastructure • Deutsche Autobahnen

4M views 13K replies 566 participants last post by  IOOI 
#1 · (Edited)
A "highway & Autobahns forum can't exist without a topic about the real Autobahn; the German Autobahn!

German Autobahn

See less See more
#5,704 ·
^^ I guess more Germans are using Austrian Autobahns than French or Swiss motorways - especially Bavarians ;).

#5,706 ·
I guess that too, because this whole toll thing seems suited to "fight" vignette systems, not tolls in general.

#5,711 ·
#5,712 ·
Main route is Brenner. That means Munich - Garmisch - Zirl - Innsbruck - Brenner. From Zirl to Brenner Motorway its 11km on the A12. Brenner Motorway is not included in the vignette system and costs extra toll.

Another North-South transit route is Kufstein - Felbertauern. From border to Kufstein-Süd its 6km. Again Felbertauern costs extra toll.

Pfändertunnel is about 10km, after the tunnel you can switch to the Swiss motorway, which you need anyway if you are going South to Italy.

A fourth route would be Garmisch - Fernpass - Landeck - Reschen, which is not so popular. Here its 12km motorway and the tunnel around Landeck which is not a motorway, but is included in the vignette system.

#5,713 ·
#5,716 ·
A lot of Germans are pissed off that they have to pay almost everywhere and when they go to work the Autobahn is clogged up with foreign cars. Politicians listen to such things and CSU man Horst Seehofer most of all.

I doubt many Germans think past a simple wish for revenge in this matter.
Might as well toll the roads to the Dutch coast then, a significant part of traffic in Zeeland in the summer months are Germans.
/idiot mode: they are in my way, they should pay for using the road like I pay road tax

Tolls are stupid imo, any person should oppose tolls unless the money goes directly to the road budget. Everyone already pays more than enough in fuel duty and VAT...

In general, European motorists bend over way too easily, they are milked to the brim compared to people who don't drive, way in excess of actual costs to build and maintain the infrastructure.

#5,718 ·
Thats a detour and not faster.
According to Google Maps:
Ingolstadt - Munich - Kufstein - Innsbruck - Bolzano: 362km, 3:30h
Ingolstadt - Munich - Garmisch - Innsbruck - Bolzano: 343km, 3:52h

It is faster!

#5,719 ·
EDIT: I misread and misanswered.

Yes, of course via Kufstein is the faster and usual way for the Brenner route.