SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ABUJA | Light Rail | Transport | U/C

Tags
abuja
253K views 660 replies 75 participants last post by  keplar 
#1 ·
FCTA Approves N92 Million for Mass Transit Network

Towards the entrenchment of an effective and efficient transportation system in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, the FCT Executive Committee (FCT EXCO) has approved the release of the sum of N92 Million to Messer CPCS Transcom for additional works on the Abuja Mass Transit Network.

FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed who disclosed this said it was one of the decisions taken at the Bi- weekly meeting of the EXCO. He disclosed that the additional work of 36.7km route design track line was due to the review of the Central Business District and the Abuja North-West Phase IV of the Abuja Master Plan.

The minister hinted that the FCT administration is also seeking assistance from the World Bank and the African Development Bank on the actualisation of an effective transportation system in the FCT.

He explained that the contractor has concluded consultancy services contract on the feasibility study and conceptual design of lots 1, 2, & 3 of the Abuja Mass Transit Network and that the FCT Transportation Secretariat has initiated the immediate procurement of lots 2, through the Public-Private-Partnership arrangement, in order to complement the on-going lots 1 & 3 of the FCT Rail Network to ease traffic congestion along the Nyanya/Karu axis.

"This is in addition to the procurement of operation's concessionaire for the on-going lots 1 & 3 as well as immediate procurement of lots 4, 5 & 6 of the Abuja Rail Network by the FCT Transportation Secretariat," he said.

Senator Mohammed remarked that the consultancy will surely assist the FCT administration in the development of a mass transit system that meets the highest international standard of technical excellence that would also facilitate efficient operation and management of the private sector with broad economic, social and political acceptance.

He assured that the FCT administration will not leave any stone unturned in improving the transportation network of the FCT, noting that the traffic bottlenecks being experienced in some areas of the Federal Capital City at peak hours is of great concern to the authorities.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201008040265.html

#5 ·
The website is under construction. The argument is that the project is alive - not saying that based on the relevance of the website. There are few videos on youtube about the plan. The thing I found not interesting is the less populated areas where most of the railway lines are going to pass through leaving the densely populated places.

#8 ·
Abuja rail line

The FEC also approved a contract of N1.28 billion for project management services in respect of the Lots 1 - 3 of the Abuja Rail Mass Transit project being constructed by a Chinese firm at a cost of $841.64 million.

“There is provision of N6.2 billion and N61.9 billion in the FCT national and FCT statutory budget, in the sum of N68.1billion under which the project could be charged.”

The management services contract is for the supervision of the rail project, which has a completion period of 48 months.
234next.com

#10 ·
^^^ I would post an update in November or December as i would be schooling near a place where it is being constructed so you would get the first ever pictures of the Abuja Rail courtesy of xterra 2

And please change the status of this project from "Approved" to " Under construction" as i saw the project ongoing last year during the former minister visit to the site on NTA .And this from transport secretary of the FCTA on Aug 22nd
According to him, another alternative to boosting the city’s transport system is the Abuja Light Rail, which he said is ongoing with slots 1 and 3 already at advanced stages.
So Nobody would be getting an update anytime time soon till Nov/Dec :p

#11 ·
I would be glad to see them posted here by then. It's difficult to ascertained the status of this project as there are no evidences that they've commenced with the construction work as you said.Not until then, it's better to leave it as an approved project

On the other hand , the website is empty and there is no information to project this project is existing at all.

#15 ·
ABUJA RAIL TO PROVIDE 18,000 JOBS- EXPERT (Taken from Daily Trust Newspaper August 31st, 2010)

ABUJA Rail Mass Transit project will provide 18,000 jobs to Nigerians on completion, the project supervisor, Engr. Tony Agwaniru has said.

Engr. Tony who disclosed this at the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) forum on the mass transit project in Abuja yesterday, said upon completion, the rail transit would employ over 10,000 permanent workers and over 8,000 casual workers.

"The problem with the project now is lack of funds and more government delays the project, the more it spends unnecessary money but if the necessary funds are made available, the project can be commissioned in the next 18 months," he said.

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the General Manager, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), Leo Yin, disclosed that the Federal Government has so far invested $148 Million in the Abuja Rail Mass Transit project.

He explained that the investment is about 20% of the entire cost of the project, apart from the mobilization fee, which enabled them to build workshops and establish factories.
"The entire project is about 77km and needs about 350 sleepers, support columns and 80,000 pieces of it are on the ground and ready for use but funds have not yet been made available this year for the company to continue the project," he lamented.

#17 ·
Abuja Rail Transport Takes Off in 2013

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has disclosed that the Abuja rail mass transit will commence operations in 2013.

Engr. Kenneth Okafor, a director in the FCTA transport department disclosed this at an interactive section of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the project held at Vines Hotel, Abuja.

Okafor, however, said the commissioning will depend on the availability of funds to complete the project in the stipulated time frame.

According to him, "the problem that will hinder the commissioning of the project in 2013 is lack of funds, the more government delays the project, the more it spends unnecessary money, if the needed funds are made available at least a train run of the project can be commissioned in the next 18 months and the main project can take off in 2013."

The project consultants, Silas Idoko said they organised the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) to enable stakeholders make inputs towards effective execution of the project.

He noted that the project would encourage infrastructural development in the satellite towns and decongest the city, saying many residents would be coming to work from there.

He added that it would reduce fuel consumption and quantum of gas emission into the air since most residents would not be coming to work with their vehicles.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201009030245.html

#19 ·
Me too i see them everyday except days i stay at home
There is one behind the NNPC Megastation and one also near the Dome (when coming back from the airport) the site was cleared but the construction really has not started but it started in the second way if you going to the airport not ONEX according to the project manager Mr Jack Lee as of Last year theu have brought some materials and i saw on nta they work they have done so far of last year..
I shall be schooling near the place and if i am less busy i will try and snap the pictures but not here

#35 ·
*sigh*
I'm laughing because from your suggestion the preceding picture is false. 'You said ask the photographers 'where exactly is this place in Abuja' it sounds like the guy miss road.

damn I wish I never put a lol similie under your quote now, I never knew I was gonna be interrogated.:eek:hno:

#38 · (Edited)
Abuja light rail 20 percent complete

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, has expressed the readiness of the Federal Government, towards completing the multi-billion-naira Abuja Light Rail (ALR) project on schedule.

Senator Mohammed, who said this yesterday, while x-raying the activities of the FCT Transportation secretariat, disclosed that, at present, the project is 20 per cent complete.

The minister assured that, the tempo of execution of the project would be intensified, considering its importance to the economic turn-around of the entire FCT, and the country at large.

As envisaged in the work plan, he reaffirmed that Lots I & III of the project, would surely be achieved, on or before 2013.

He disclosed that, over 90 per cent of detailed engineering design, including aerial survey, ground control survey, horizontal & vertical alignment design, bridges & culverts, training centre building structures as well as general site working-drawings, have been achieved.

He explained that, operational facilities like quarry yard, steel structure, concrete sleepers and girder plants, which produced over 125,000 concrete sleepers that is very critical to the track laying activity, are complete.

"The land acquisition enumeration and compensation of economic trees as well as building structures, on the ROW at Idu Depot/Dry inland container port area, Ring road I, Idu, Gwagwa/Dei-Dei, Kagini and about 4 kilometres into Kubwa have been completed," he further said.

According to him, the laying of tracks are expected to begin in earnest, as rail tracks have started arriving at the Idu depot.

He also disclosed that, site clearing and removal of 35 kilometres vegetable top soil has been completed, for Lots 3a and from Idu to Kagini in Lot 1a.

Cutting and filling to formation levels, of more than 28 kilometers of the right of way, including rock excavation is on-going, the minister revealed.

This was just as he said that, a total of 125,000 concrete sleepers have been produced, sufficient for 25 kilometres of double track and 120,000 m3 ballast standard rail-track gravel has been produced, sufficient for 35 kilometres of the track's right of way.

Meanwhile, the administration also said, arrangements have been concluded, to organise Transportation Investors' Summit, to take care of other transportation facilities, that are part of the integrated transportation programme of the FCT.

The FCT minister assured that, the administration will not leave any stone unturned, to revolutionalise the transportation sub-sector, as it affects all sectors of the society.
Link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.