daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains > Development News

Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 30

INDIANAPOLIS | NCAA HQ Expansion | Completed

updated: 11/2/2009 6:18:46 AM
NCAA Announces Headquarters Expansion
InsideINdianaBusiness.com Report

Press Release

The NCAA Executive Committee at its October 29 meeting in Indianapolis approved a $35 million, 130,000 square-foot addition to the NCAA national office that will be funded primarily through savings and funds currently budgeted for leased space.

Construction will begin in spring 2010 and is projected to be completed early in 2012.

Current NCAA national office space accommodates approximately 500 full-time, part-time and contract employees − plus meeting space, technology services and other administrative functions − in space designed for fewer than 350.

The office relocated from a Kansas City suburb to Indianapolis in 1999. Based on projections made in the mid-1990s, the national office building was designed to accommodate an annual growth of 2 percent in staffing over 20 years.

In the intervening decade, though, the Association has doubled the size of the enforcement investigation staff, expanded its research, and academic and membership affairs staffs to accommodate a comprehensive academic-reform effort, and brought the NCAA Eligibility Center into the national office environment. (The Eligibility Center’s 70 employees are being housed temporarily in the Association’s off-site warehouse facility in Indianapolis.)

NCAA Executive Committee chair Michael Adams said Executive Committee members cited a favorable construction climate among reasons to embark on the capital project at this time.

“The economic downturn of the last 18 months has postponed or indefinitely delayed many facility expansions within higher education and elsewhere,” Adams said. “However, there is timeliness in terms of both competition among contractors in a sparse construction market and cost savings for construction commodities that cannot prudently be ignored even in a conservative budgeting approach.”

NCAA Interim President Jim Isch said local construction projects have been 10 to 20 percent below previously projected costs.

Also, additional savings from requiring more than 95 percent of committee meetings to be held at the national office will be under-realized without the additional space.

The addition will integrate with the existing national office in terms of design and will significantly enhance the availability of flexible space that can transition among various uses. Included in the total square footage are about 24,000 square feet of meeting and conference space in addition to 106,000 square feet for office space.

Isch said a number of financing options are being explored, including bonds or NCAA reserves. The NCAA Executive Committee will review the financing options after the first of the year and will determine the best approach for the Association.

He said already budgeted space and services rental ($2 million annually) for the Eligibility Center will significantly offset Association’s debt-service obligation. Balance of repayment costs and schedule range from $300,000 annually over 20 years to $3.7 million annually over six years.

The operational costs for the facility will be financed by internal reallocations.

Source: NCAA

NCAA expansion will contain costs
Growth in sports agency spurs project to double office and meeting space by 2012

Overcrowded with a growing staff, the NCAA headquarters in White River State Park will double in size via a $35 million expansion to be under construction by spring.
The executive committee of the National Collegiate Athletic Association agreed this week to go ahead with the project, which was planned under the administration of the NCAA's late president, Myles Brand, who died Sept. 16.

Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations for the NCAA, said Friday that the 130,000-square-foot expansion will include offices and meeting space.
The new structure will be a separate building on the west side of the current 116,000-square-foot headquarters, linked by a second-floor bridge.
When complete, the NCAA campus at 700 W. Washington St. will include three buildings: the existing national headquarters built in 1999, the proposed addition to open in mid-2012 and the existing 30,000-square-foot Hall of Champions and convention center.
The proposed expansion roughly doubles the office and meeting space for the national association staff.
Williams said the current building was constructed for about 350 employees and was expected to contain the operations over 20 years. However, in less than 10 years, there now are about 500 working for the NCAA.
That includes about 70 people in the Eligibility Center, which is in a warehouse-turned-office-building near 16th Street and the White River, about a mile from the main building.
No fundraising campaign is expected for the building project. Williams said it will be financed with about $2 million a year that is currently budgeted for rental space and other savings.
The glass-and-brick exterior design of the four-story building is intended to complement the existing building.
Much of the ground floor will have meeting and conference rooms and related facilities, so that the national organization's meetings can all be held here.
"In an effort to curtail costs, we are setting a goal of holding 95 percent of the association's meetings in Indianapolis. We have all sorts of committees and other groups, and they have met in locations all around the country," Williams said.
"Bringing all of that to Indianapolis is a cost containment. But in order to do that, we have to ensure that we have adequate meeting space here."

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...

Last edited by desertpunk; February 18th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Ratio Architects Renderings

Ratio Architects NCAA Expansion (PDF)

RATIO was tapped to design a 143,000 sq. ft. expansion to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) headquarters in downtown Indianapolis, IN, originally designed by renowned architect, Michael Graves. The expansion’s design highlights the NCAA’s support of the student/athlete’s academic strength; harmonizes with the adjacent state park’s open vistas and future campus green space; and allows the NCAA Hall of Champions to be the prominent architectural expression. Sustainable elements are also part of the expansion’s design. The exterior building envelope is modulated based on solar orientation, giving consideration to day lighting and views. HVAC and lighting systems are designed to automatically adjust or shut down during periods of limited demand, resulting in reduced energy consumption. Last, air quality is increased through use of sustainable construction materials, and recycling accommodations for building occupants will be located throughout the building.
NCAA Headquarters Expansion
NCAA / Indianapolis, IN

Last edited by EddieB317; November 3rd, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
CorrND
Chris

Likes (Received): 41

The design is actually quite nice. Unfortunately, it looks to be yet another canal/WRSP-fronting building that serves no one but the primary tenant.

Am I seeing a new water feature that interfaces with the canal just before it dumps into the White River? Interesting.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

NIFS Parking

I wonder what NIFS is going to do about parking? There is room on the west side of the building to put in a surface lot but I don't know who's lot it actually is. (in between NIFS and the Michael Carroll Stadium/ baseball practice field)

That whole area of IUPUI campus is also being reviewed for future use. The campus plan due early 2010 is supposed to have information on the future of the Natatorium, The Indianapolis Tennis Center, and the outdoor tennis courts. The plan is rumored to possibly include a new IUPUI basketball arena / event / convention space near to or replacing one or more of the previously mentioned tennis facilities.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

there appears to be, not only a new canal feature but an expansion of the park back into iupui's campus, the rendering makes it hard to tell but it looks like it might wipe out the tennis courts ... perhaps this project in incorporated into the re-plan itself ??? Regardless, i like the design and i'm glad to see basic environmental design being incorporated into this. will the public have access to the green roof ?
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #6
ablerock

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Am I seeing a new water feature that interfaces with the canal just before it dumps into the White River? Interesting.
WHOAH.

There look to be some huge clues in those renderings about the future of the IUPUI campus.

Unless Ratio is taking some huge liberties. Start comparing aerials and you'll see what I mean.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimINindy View Post
there appears to be, not only a new canal feature but an expansion of the park back into iupui's campus, the rendering makes it hard to tell but it looks like it might wipe out the tennis courts ... perhaps this project in incorporated into the re-plan itself ??? Regardless, i like the design and i'm glad to see basic environmental design being incorporated into this. will the public have access to the green roof ?
Yup, that's what I'm seeing.

The angled-facade building north of NIFS in the rendering below is not there currently either. It looks like the park extension cuts across New York St. as well. Very, VERY, interesting.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Yeah, I noticed that also. Don't know what to think about that. It also looks like NY Street is gone actually... (look at the location of the NAT and where NY should be) I don't really trust this to tell me that much about the new IUPUI campus plan.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM   #9
SwimINindy
Drew

well it says right in there pdf, "harmonizes with the adjacent state
park’s open vistas and future campus green space"

with regards to the future of the campus replan, I wont take what's on the page literally, but it is very encouraging, and seems to indicate some kind of long term planning on iupui, and ratio's part. At the same time its not far fetched ratio would be dropping clues in those renderings, they are involved with the glick eye center, another development with the replan. It would make sense they would be in the know with what's going on if there working on multiple projects that would, undoubtedly, effect the campus.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #10
ablerock

Quote:
well it says right in there pdf, "harmonizes with the adjacent state
park’s open vistas and future campus green space"

with regards to the future of the campus replan, I wont take what's on the page literally, but it is very encouraging, and seems to indicate some kind of long term planning on iupui, and ratio's part. At the same time its not far fetched ratio would be dropping clues in those renderings, they are involved with the glick eye center, another development with the replan. It would make sense they would be in the know with what's going on if there working on multiple projects that would, undoubtedly, effect the campus.
Yup.

"The expansion’s design highlights the NCAA’s support of the student/athlete’s academic strength; harmonizes with the adjacent state
park’s open vistas and future campus green space; and allows the NCAA Hall of Champions to be the prominent architectural expression."

Those are nice clues.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM   #11
SwimINindy
Drew

Did some digging around, found one of the master plan sketchups ... You can see the park and the preliminary design of the expansion here as well !

This has me really worked up about IUPUI's future plans !!! Can't wait to see some real renderings of the campus.
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #12
CorrND
Chris

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:

Did some digging around, found one of the master plan sketchups ... You can see the park and the preliminary design of the expansion here as well !

This has me really worked up about IUPUI's future plans !!! Can't wait to see some real renderings of the campus.
Interesting that this months-old sketchup shows this NCAA expansion in white -- as though it was already built -- whereas placeholder buildings are in yellow.

I wonder if there are any other clues in the campus sketches about soon-to-come buildings.
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #13
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
That would technically be a reconstruction of an old water feature on the site...Fall Creek. It used to meet the White River at the same place as the canal empties today, before the Army Corps "drained the swamp" and straightened out the channel to run along 10th St. The portions of Wishard away from the corner of 10th & Indiana are built on the filled in creek channels, as is much of the rest of the central IUPUI campus area.

Old maps are wonderful things...
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #14
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Not wild about the design. I see parts of other buildings that Ratio has designed. Just feel that new design strategies need to happen, regardless of the areas that are being developed.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #15
sbrackn2

Likes (Received): 0

All in all I think the design is pretty solid, especially when framed in the context of future development at IUPUI. I like the bit in the project statement about allowing "the NCAA Hall of Champions to be the prominent architectural expression"-- the understated addition is certainly a step in the right direction. The only issue I have is the relative height of the new design and the way it blocks out the west facade of the Graves building.

image hosted on flickr

As this image of ginger children describes, the orientation of the Hall of Champions with those long barrel vaults makes for one of the nicer skyline compositions from across the White river. Its one of the few gestures in Indy's downtown that actually acknowledges the river's potential and creates a dialog between both sides.
sbrackn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #16
ablerock

Here's a link to the new IUPUI (+ IU Bloomington) Master Plan presentation to the Board of Trustees from February 19, 2009:

FYI, it's a powerpoint file. If you don't have Office, gmail/google docs has the ability to open it. There are other online alternatives as well.

http://www.indiana.edu/~iunews/IUmasterplan.ppt
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #17
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

I really like this sketch. And as I was looking through that power point I also noticed that under the new green park area in between the Nat and Herron that crosses over NY street there is supposed to be underground parking.

I also noticed that there is a possibility of getting rid of all of the one way streets... so NY Michigan and Blackford would be 2 way. (slide 85)

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #18
ablerock

Relevant images from the presentation below.

I've also uploaded several more from the presentation to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ableroc...7622608599319/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
[/IMG]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #19
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
I really like this sketch. And as I was looking through that power point I also noticed that under the new green park area in between the Nat and Herron that crosses over NY street there is supposed to be underground parking.

I also noticed that there is a possibility of getting rid of all of the one way streets... so NY Michigan and Blackford would be 2 way. (slide 85)

Look at that fancy highrise!!! I know that these buildings are place-holders, but to put a tower there means that they have some sort of plan. Is it a dorm?

All in all, I really like this master plan and look forward to seeing the Campus develop
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #20
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
The campus plan due early 2010 is supposed to have information on the future of the Natatorium, The Indianapolis Tennis Center, and the outdoor tennis courts. The plan is rumored to possibly include a new IUPUI basketball arena / event / convention space near to or replacing one or more of the previously mentioned tennis facilities.
Is this "early 2010" plan you're referring to just more detailed than the one the board approved in Feb?

There's also a performing arts space with 3 venues, from small to large, in the works. A gentleman representing the theater, if you will, spoke up at the Master Plan presentation I went to last year. He inquired about the plan's effects on their project and wanted to make sure they were working together for the best outcome. It sounded like a done deal the way he was speaking.