daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 14

Urban Pedestrian tunnels under rivers

I think it would be interesting to see a list of cities that have pedestrian only tunnels under their rivers. I can't imagine that there would be many of them left, but a list would be facinating.

So far, I have only walked through these tunnels: (Not my photo's)

London
Greenwich Foot Tunnel: Built 1902! 371m long. It connects Greenwich (where the Cutty Sark Gardens are to Island Gardens on the Ile of Dogs - near Canary Wharf)

It is accessed by two domes on either side of the river, where can walk down the steps or take the large lifts.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Woolwich Foot Tunnel (Also in London)
Built in 1912 and 504meters long, this connects Woolwich with North Woolwich on the other side of the river. It is of similar design to the one in Greenwich with access points at each end and lifts/stairs.

Both tunnels are open 24/7

Antwerp, Belgium
I went through this tunnel a couple of weeks back, and so far it is only the third such fully pedestrian tunnel under a major river I have passed through.
The tunnel was constructed in 1933 with the lift/stair buildings at each end similar to London's although in Art Deco style. Although this one also includes beautiful old wooden escalaters and is 527m long.

Ones I havn't been to...
Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnel
There are two seperate tunnels, one for cyclists and one for pedestrians, so I suppose this counts as a pedestrian only tunnel. Built in 1951 and 274.5m long.
At each end, the tunnels are connected to surface buildings by escalators and lifts. The Waygood-Otis escalators have wooden steps, and are the original models from 1951. At the time of construction, they were the longest single-rise escalators in the world, with a vertical rise of 85ft (25.9m) and a length of approximately 200ft (61m).

If you know of any others, post them here. Although, at least for this thread, let's keep them to pedestrian (incl. cyclists) only and under rivers or other main bodies of water.

Last edited by Justme; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Cosa dire cosa fare

Likes (Received): 63

Antwerp also has a pedestrian tunnel under the river Scheldt aside the Kennedytunnel, with escalators that go in a 45ー slope.

I've also been in the pedestrian tunnels in Rotterdam aside the Maastunnel (Nieuwe Maas), Beneluxtunnel (Nieuwe Maas) and Heinenoordtunnel (Oude Maas).
ャ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #3
el tico

Likes (Received):

Spooky!
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #4
sequoias

Likes (Received): 2

looks clean... many people tunnels here in the US tend to be vandalized with graffati and art.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #5
JT
Jeroen van Dam

Likes (Received): 97

There's a tunnel in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, which is not really pedestrian-only, since it has 4 tubes: 2 for cars, one for cyclists and one for pedestrians. The latter ones lying on top of each other and having their own entrance-building. I think this one should be mentioned here as well.

Maastunnel, 584 m, 1937-1942:

JT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ year, I think that could fit as the pedestrian tunnels are fully seperate.

So, that's four cities so far...
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Justme
Gotta lite?

Update. Just heard about this tunnel in Stockholm, so we maybe able to add another tunnel. Does this also go under a river, or through a mountain?

The Brunkeberg Tunnel in Norrmalm, Stockholm, is a 231 meter long passage way for pedestrians through the Brunkeberg Esker. The tunnel was opened in 1886 by King Oscar II.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Bitxofo
。Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 91

Also there is one in Shanghai, but with a tiny rail system inside: the Bund tourist tunnel.

It is very weird...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir all. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #9
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Update. Just heard about this tunnel in Stockholm, so we maybe able to add another tunnel. Does this also go under a river, or through a mountain?

The Brunkeberg Tunnel in Norrmalm, Stockholm, is a 231 meter long passage way for pedestrians through the Brunkeberg Esker. The tunnel was opened in 1886 by King Oscar II.

It leads through a ridge in the center of the city.
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ ok, thanks. So it doesn't really belong in this thread about river pedestrian tunnels. Still, a nice tube.