SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PORT OF SPAIN | What happen to this?

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  triniiphone 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A few years ago this plan was launched for invaders bay

Whatever happened to this? Will they ever reconsider this?

Are there any more plans for invaders bay?

#2 ·
I believe they're building this instead

A Caribbean "Epcot Centre" featuring a Carnival wax museum, in partnership with world famous Ripley's Believe it Or Not, is part of the $2 billion vision businessman Derek Chin has for the development of Invaders Bay, Port of Spain.

On Thursday, Planning Minister Dr Bhoendradatt Tewarie announced that Cabinet agreed to give the green light to begin negotiations with Chin – D Chin Commercial Developers Limited and Jerry Joseph of Marina Development Group to develop part of Invaders Bay.

Chin had submitted a project "Streets of the World" which won favour of an inter Ministerial committee and was also recommended by an independent firm which conducted a due diligence test.

Chin is the chairman of Multicinemas Ltd, owners of the MovieTowne cineplex at Invaders Bay.

In a telephone interview with the Express yesterday Chin said the project is expected to cost some $2 billion and a proposal was submitted to develop 38 acres of land at Invaders Bay.

He said the Ansa McAl group as well as other foreign investors have expressed an interest in the project.

"I am taking a deep breath, this part of it is now out of the way but there is a lot of work to be done, a lot of planning, a lot of money but I am happy it's in the right direction and I commend the Government for taking the initiative and base its decision on merit,"said Chin.

Chin noted that the Epcot Centre at Walt Disney World resort in Florida is a major attraction and in the same vein he wants to create a local epcot centre which will showcase this country's rich and diverse culture.

He said he wants to create a legacy for Carnival and the steelband movement which are featured prominently in the development plans.

A Carnival wax museum and a marine aquarium will be some of the features of this new space.

Streets of the World, he explained, will tell the story of the diversity of Trinidad and Tobago and streets reflecting cultures from India, Africa, China and Syria will be created.

Chin added that a replica of Frederick Street from the 1940's will also be constructed in the project.

There will also be streets which will feature fashion and another street devoted to Carnival, said Chin.

"It has been a long journey, I now hope to give some life to this plan and continue to develop the vision for MovieTowne's expansion. It will enhance the city's value and make Trinidad a more desirable destination," said Chin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.