SkyscraperCity Forum banner

đŸ›£ TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Highways

185K views 266 replies 52 participants last post by  Trini1New 
#1 · (Edited)
This is actually an intersection close to Port of Spain...just found it.

Not sure if its an up-to-date image though...the design may have changed...maybe Trin knows better about this one

Grand Bazaar Interchange

See less See more
#2 ·
That interchange has been needed for years to link the east west CR highway and the north south Uriah Butler highway. Apparently work on the overpass is to begin shortly but the design I'm not too sure about. The one you posted looks like the older design I think the UNC was trying to get built. The new design I think doesn't incorporate that huge suspension arch and is much simpler. Until I can find a better pic this shows the proposed path it should take

#9 ·
#19 ·
UPDATE ON THE INTERCHANGE

The interchange towers over the Churchill Roosevelt and Uriah Butler Highways are complete as the company recently engaged in its last push. Meaning that all that needs to be done now is putting the finishing touches on the bridge in order for it to be opened for the public.

Government has indicated that they wish for the same company, who have completed this project within budget and on time to do some of the extra projects they have planned for the country... the government has more plans for interchanges that will be used to fix traffic problems:banana:

#20 ·
The interchange towers over the Churchill Roosevelt and Uriah Butler Highways are complete as the company recently engaged in its last push. Meaning that all that needs to be done now is putting the finishing touches on the bridge in order for it to be opened for the public.

Government has indicated that they wish for the same company, who have completed this project within budget and on time to do some of the extra projects they have planned for the country... the government has more plans for interchanges that will be used to fix traffic problems:banana:

Does anyone have details on any of these projects?

#24 ·
Correct, it would just move the bottle neck further west. Widening the highway isn't the solution either.

Bori, Trinidad does have a freeway which runs north south and if the flyovers being discussed above come to fruition then we will have one running east west soon.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Interchange

I'm sure you're aware of the interchange plan on the Ministry of Work's website.

This was the interchange that John Humphrey designed with the arch that had already started construction in Paris (by the same guys who built the Eiffel tower) Then along came the PNM..........and we know what happened to that plan!

Under the programme, the CRH/UBH intersection will be converted to a grade separated interchange. On completion, the interchange will be completely free-flowing with no traffic lights. The project currently under construction is the second of three packages for the CRH/UBH.

The first package entailed construction of a new S-W ramp – that is a ramp to convey traffic coming from the south (San Fernando) and heading west (POS) through the intersection without delays. This ramp has been completed and is in service. The current project (package 2) entails:

The construction of a W-S ramp. This is an overpass that will enable southbound traffic heading west along the CRH to cross the intersection without delays.
The construction of an overpass over the CRH at Bamboo. This will eliminate the traffic lights currently in place just south of the Grand Bazzar entrance.
The construction of associated collector roads, drainage and associated works such as the relocation of the Grand Bazzar entrance.

Other related works, currently in detailed design phase are:
The 3rd and final package for the CRH/UBH. The main feature of this package will be construction of an overpass to carry UBH traffic over the CRH. It also include other collector roads and a roundabout. All these works will complete the conversion of the intersection to a completely free-flowing one with no traffic lights.
The construction of new interchanges at the CRH intersections at Aranguez and El Soccoro. This will eliminate traffic lights in these areas.
The widening of the Beetham Highway/Wrightson Road between the Market overpass and St. Vincent Street. This will complete the conversion of the Wrightson road to six-lanes thereby easing traffic flow into and out of the city.
The widening of the south-bound UBH bridge over the Caroni river. This will improve the southbound capacity of the UBH, thereby eliminating the traffic backup that sometimes extends back to the CRH intersection.

For the guy who asked about freeways, check out this youtube video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pb_QwKdEVo

#32 ·
Dummyproofing

Thanks for the kind words.

I would imagine Puerto Rico would have an American style highway system. There is a lot less signage on our highways.

for instance: there would only be one sign for an exit approaching and then a sign on the exit itself.
When i drove on the Florida Turnpike, I recall seeing about 4 signs for only one exit. Its helpful but I think its really "dummyproofing" if you ask me and not entirely necessary.

Where can I go to see Puerto Rican highways?

The lobby at the office.

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words.

I would imagine Puerto Rico would have an American style highway system. There is a lot less signage on our highways.

for instance: there would only be one sign for an exit approaching and then a sign on the exit itself.
When i drove on the Florida Turnpike, I recall seeing about 4 signs for only one exit. Its helpful but I think its really "dummyproofing" if you ask me and not entirely necessary.

Where can I go to see Puerto Rican highways?

Sure, you can find some pics here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=511349

#34 ·
Contracts in final stages, says Imbert
Construction of flyovers at El Socorro, Aranjuez
Juhel Browne jbrowne@trinidadexpress.com

Monday, September 15th 2008

Works and Transport Minister Colm Imbert says negotiations for contracts for the construction of flyovers at El Socorro and Aranjuez are now in the final stages.

The projects will be constructed to complement the Interchange now under construction at the Intersection of the Uriah Butler and Churchill- Roosevelt Highways, which is being carried out by Vinci Construction of France under the management of the National Infrastructure Development Company Ltd (NIDCO).

"We expect to get the necessary approvals within the next month or so. So that contracts can be awarded so that construction would begin to deal with the traffic lights at El Socorro and Aranjuez, making the Churchill-Roosevelt a truly grade separated highway all the way from Port of Spain, all the way down from San Fernando," Imbert said during his contribution to the debate on a motion of no confidence in Prime Minister Patrick Manning at the Red House, Port of Spain, on Friday,

Imbert added that the Works and Transport Ministry is also in the final stages of putting together the package for the grade separation of the Uriah Butler Highway and the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway at the Nestle intersection.

"So that when that is completed, the Interchange will become a full interchange so that all turning movements when you go from west to south, north to east, east to north, et cetera, all turning movements will then be separated by interchanges, flyovers, et cetera, Mr Speaker, and you will be able to drive as I said from Port of Spain to San Fernando without encountering a single traffic light," Imbert said.

Phase one of the Interchange project has already been completed and phase two or Package B is now under way.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161376009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the interchanges at El Socorro and Aranguez will be coming off the ground soon. :banana:

#36 ·
Diagonal highway

That idea about the North east highway sounds great..but there are a few hiccups. The Central range runs from South West to North East, along the diagonal that your proposed highway would run. It's like building a tunnel through the Northern Range length ways. Check Google Earth and turn on the elevation feature.

Even if you try to bypass it by going further east and accessing areas like Tabaquite and Biche you are passing dangerously close to protected wildlife in the Nariva Swamp.

If that isn't enough, consider how much longer that would make the highway and then think about how difficult it would be to find persons to work on the highway in an area as isolated as this. Nearly everyone there is into agriculture, not pile driving. Remember how long the North Coast highway took to fix? In fact its still under repair. That's cause the govt. decided to use local labour and since Min. of works engineers have a hard time monitoring a project in such an isolated location. A Curepe Princes Town route parallel to the SH highway would be much easier to manage.

I'm familiar with at least part of the route of the Point Fortin highway since NGC plans to build its Union Estate Pipeline very close to its right of way and I do pipeline license application approvals in the Min. of Energy.

For general information, the height of the Waterfront Tower C; the one next to the Hyatt that topped off first, is 120 meters (including the useless architectural slantways thing on the top) it is 111.25 meters from grade to roof. I have the architectural elevations from a friend in bouygues. This makes it the 7th tallest building in the Caribbean according to skyscrapercity.com ;

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=592512

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.