search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #121
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
It's you're not your... (whenever you can use you are you use you're) I see so many people getting this wrong on the internet jeebus.
Thank you...that drives me nuts. It's so simple to understand that "you're" takes the place of "you are", while "your" is the possessive of "you". This is not difficult.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; October 9th, 2016 at 02:42 AM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:43 AM   #122
nick22

Likes (Received): 24

I have family in Tampa and I love the city. Tons of great memories there. Tampa feels much more dense to me than many other southern cities and Ybor is a wonderful neighborhood. That being said, is there really much going on that will transform the city? All I see is ever increasing sprawl especially to the north. There are good things happening but not to the point where it could be considered to be necessarily transformative and certainly not most transformative.

There is no need to be so rude and confrontational.

I think the city with the biggest transformation will have to be a mid-sized city. Sure there are tons of projects in the larger boom towns that have already been discussed but the potential for transformation is higher is less established cities. Short term transformation is a little more obvious but long term is more interesting to speculate on.

I'm currently living in Columbia going to USC so I'll talk about that. Columbia is having an apartment boom much larger than most cities when talking about % increase. The number of people living in downtown could double in as soon as 3 years. The university is growing hugely and major student apartments are sprouting up everywhere. 2,000 new beds were finished in the last 2 years. Another 3,000 will be finished in 2 more. There are a few different high rises and skyscrapers that have been proposed including a potential new tallest (sadly most are only in proposal stage and very few have renderings).

Columbia is completely revitalizing a huge parcel of land right beside downtown bringing tons of new apartments and even more retail (and a new minor league baseball stadium). 165 acres of development being smartly designed and completed in phases (already started). Look up bull street commons (can't post links until I've made 10 replies).

The five points area and the Vista are both building multiple complexes geared at young professionals in addition to students. The vista area has changed dramatically even in the short 4 years I've been here. Dozens of new restaurants/shops.

The university is expanding it's physical campus rapidly too. New research facilities, dorms, and classrooms are being built in multiple directions. Southern downtown feels increasingly dense (although mid-rise dense).

Columbia changed their archaic zoning law not allowing 3 unrelated people to live in the same abode back in 2012 which is the biggest drive behind all this growth and development.

It is very difficult for tenants to find blocks of class A office space larger than 20,000 sqft for rent. And one of the largest office buildings downtown was converted into apartments. Columbia is overdue for a new office tower.

In 20 years, downtown Columbia could be a completely different place. It's already changed so much in 20 years and is changing more rapidly now than ever.
nick22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:52 PM   #123
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 92

Happy New Year to everyone. Sorry to bring sports into it. But for a younger sports market I'm quite happy with my teams.

Here's to Atlanta Charlotte Tampa Orlando Nashville all being great cities.

GunnerJacket liked this post
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:22 PM   #124
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3119

Ditto, and back at you, sir.
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:16 PM   #125
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick22 View Post
I have family in Tampa and I love the city. Tons of great memories there. Tampa feels much more dense to me than many other southern cities and Ybor is a wonderful neighborhood. That being said, is there really much going on that will transform the city? All I see is ever increasing sprawl especially to the north. There are good things happening but not to the point where it could be considered to be necessarily transformative and certainly not most transformative.

There is no need to be so rude and confrontational.

I think the city with the biggest transformation will have to be a mid-sized city. Sure there are tons of projects in the larger boom towns that have already been discussed but the potential for transformation is higher is less established cities. Short term transformation is a little more obvious but long term is more interesting to speculate on.

I'm currently living in Columbia going to USC so I'll talk about that. Columbia is having an apartment boom much larger than most cities when talking about % increase. The number of people living in downtown could double in as soon as 3 years. The university is growing hugely and major student apartments are sprouting up everywhere. 2,000 new beds were finished in the last 2 years. Another 3,000 will be finished in 2 more. There are a few different high rises and skyscrapers that have been proposed including a potential new tallest (sadly most are only in proposal stage and very few have renderings).

Columbia is completely revitalizing a huge parcel of land right beside downtown bringing tons of new apartments and even more retail (and a new minor league baseball stadium). 165 acres of development being smartly designed and completed in phases (already started). Look up bull street commons (can't post links until I've made 10 replies).

The five points area and the Vista are both building multiple complexes geared at young professionals in addition to students. The vista area has changed dramatically even in the short 4 years I've been here. Dozens of new restaurants/shops.

The university is expanding it's physical campus rapidly too. New research facilities, dorms, and classrooms are being built in multiple directions. Southern downtown feels increasingly dense (although mid-rise dense).

Columbia changed their archaic zoning law not allowing 3 unrelated people to live in the same abode back in 2012 which is the biggest drive behind all this growth and development.

It is very difficult for tenants to find blocks of class A office space larger than 20,000 sqft for rent. And one of the largest office buildings downtown was converted into apartments. Columbia is overdue for a new office tower.

In 20 years, downtown Columbia could be a completely different place. It's already changed so much in 20 years and is changing more rapidly now than ever.
I totally agree about Tampa...I have been there many times and I love that city. People don't do their city any favors by being so disparaging about peer cities. It's easy to have a civil discussion about your city without attacking or being so rude. Tampa actually isn't more densely populated than other large southern cities...2970/sq.mi. is lower than Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami. But it is a little more so than Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, and Birmingham.

Good to hear about Columbia...I haven't been there in a few years, but it sounds like a lot is happening. There are lots of cities like Columbia that you don't hear much about on these development sites but that are growing/changing rapidly.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; January 6th, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:10 AM   #126
bfg1118

Likes (Received): 73

As a native of the area, I would like to think Norfolk is finally getting its act together and making silent changes. They are slowly realizing that they need to rely on something other than the military. There's been efforts to revitalize the nightlife downtown, with close to 6,000 people now living in that area. A new arts district officially opened last year, and continues to grow. There are sections on the edge of downtown that have a lot of potential (look up the proposed St. Paul Quadrant for starters)...if those come to fruition, it could be a game changer.

A light rail expansion to Virginia Beach is being studied, and Norfolk is looking into expanding throughout the city as well, primarily a line to ODU, the naval base and the airport. The NIMBYs are really holding up the progress of that one. Honestly, the NIMBYs, and independent cities fighting for the biggest share of the pie are the primary reasons this area remains on a second- or third-tier status. People have wanted a merger for years, but the old guard continues to block progress.

If I had to make a wish list for the next 5-10 years, I would say:
1. Expansion of light rail to the aforementioned destinations, VB and the surrounding suburbs
2. An airport expansion allowing for 5M passengers annually
3. A Fortune 500 company downtown
4. More tech jobs
5. More skyscrapers with innovative architecture. Most of the buildings downtown are short, stubby blocks of concrete. Very bland.
bfg1118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #127
CLTNC

Likes (Received): 388

$2.7 Billion of New Development Will Transform Uptown Charlotte's Stonewall Street
CHARLOTTE -- In five years, Stonewall Street on the edge of uptown Charlotte will be transformed by nearly $3 billion worth of development projects announced for that corridor. With the Charlotte Observer site it could go over 4.5 Billion

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/charlotte/...ll-street.html

From 2010 to 2015 Charlotte gain 95,676 (12.4%) people, making uptown & Southend the fastest growing sub apartment market in the US.

The Nation’s Top 10 Busiest Submarkets: 1. Uptown/South End Charlotte, NC
https://www.realpage.com/mpf-researc...-charlotte-nc/

Last edited by CLTNC; October 6th, 2016 at 11:21 PM.
CLTNC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #128
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 391

This types of Threads always turn into pissing matches. Concerning Tampa Vs Charlotte. It's nearly encomparable, not because one city is better than the other but because both places are so different in so many ways. Culturally,physically, geographically, economically ect.

Charlotte is a beast in it's region. With the slight exception to the Raleigh-Durham area, there is really no large metro area for several hours away in any direction. It is THE CITY for North Carolina and South Carolina. Hell there is an argument to be made that it is THE CITY for North Eastern Tennessee and South Western Virginia.

Tampa on the other hand is essentially part of a mega region. To the south we're bordered by The Sarasota-Bradenton Metro and to the east we're bordered by the Lakeland-Winterhaven Metro which combined equal 1.4 million people. That's all within a driving distance of 45 minutes. Statistically sometimes they are included in the Tampa Bay market area.
Tampa is also part of the "I-4 Corridor" which i'm sure many of you have heard of, especially during election season. This connects us to the Orlando and Daytona metro's which combined is home to another 3+ million people.

Both cities rank as "American Middleweight" on the Global cities index http://www.citylab.com/work/2016/10/...okings/502994/
Charlotte has Billion dollar developments going on and so does Tampa.
County for county growth is about the same; Tampa/Hillsborough added 120k over last 5 years (10% increase) and Charlotte/ Mecklenburg added 115k 12.5% increase)

But beyond that their differences far exceed their similarities.
Both are fast growing, both are within rising regions but Charlotte is the place to be in that region while Tampa is one of several places in a larger region.

Now lets end this pissing match and hopefully any other thread like this in the future.

3Ironhead3 liked this post
CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #129
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
This types of Threads always turn into pissing matches. Concerning Tampa Vs Charlotte. It's nearly encomparable, not because one city is better than the other but because both places are so different in so many ways. Culturally,physically, geographically, economically ect.

Charlotte is a beast in it's region. With the slight exception to the Raleigh-Durham area, there is really no large metro area for several hours away in any direction. It is THE CITY for North Carolina and South Carolina. Hell there is an argument to be made that it is THE CITY for North Eastern Tennessee and South Western Virginia.

Tampa on the other hand is essentially part of a mega region. To the south we're bordered by The Sarasota-Bradenton Metro and to the east we're bordered by the Lakeland-Winterhaven Metro which combined equal 1.4 million people. That's all within a driving distance of 45 minutes. Statistically sometimes they are included in the Tampa Bay market area.
Tampa is also part of the "I-4 Corridor" which i'm sure many of you have heard of, especially during election season. This connects us to the Orlando and Daytona metro's which combined is home to another 3+ million people.

Both cities rank as "American Middleweight" on the Global cities index http://www.citylab.com/work/2016/10/...okings/502994/
Charlotte has Billion dollar developments going on and so does Tampa.
County for county growth is about the same; Tampa/Hillsborough added 120k over last 5 years (10% increase) and Charlotte/ Mecklenburg added 115k 12.5% increase)

But beyond that their differences far exceed their similarities.
Both are fast growing, both are within rising regions but Charlotte is the place to be in that region while Tampa is one of several places in a larger region.

Now lets end this pissing match and hopefully any other thread like this in the future.
Well, um...the Triad is about half an hour away from Charlotte and at 1.6 million, I'd say that constitutes another large metro area nearby. On that same note, the Triad is THE metro area for northwest NC and southwest VA - not Charlotte. You seem to have completely overlooked the third major metro area of NC as well as the largest metro in SC, Greenville-Spartanburg (population 1.13 million) - located less than an hour south of Charlotte.

All three NC major metros are part of the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_Megaregion) that stretches from The Triangle to Birmingham and includes several major metros that are pretty tightly positioned mostly along I-85. So while I agree with you that Tampa and Charlotte are different types of cities (basically a vacation/tourist mecca vs a corporate/inland city) they aren't as starkly different as you're making them out to be. You seemed to have overlooked a lot of facts about Charlotte in your conclusion. You definitely didn't put anything to rest here.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; October 13th, 2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 14th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #130
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 1613

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTNC View Post
The Nation’s Top 10 Busiest Submarkets: 1. Uptown/South End Charlotte, NC
https://www.realpage.com/mpf-researc...-charlotte-nc/
This appears to be exclusively apartment construction. If condos were included, I'm sure several sub-markets in Miami would make the list.

Per this list, several other Southeast sub-markets have impressive raw numbers.

Code:
Sub Market        New Units     Units under
                  since 2012    construction

Uptown/South End   2,621        3,545
Central Nashville  3,108        6,856
Central Orlando    2,471        2,531
Midtown Atlanta    3,419        4,953
gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #131
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3119

Wow. That's quite the boom for Nashville. Wonder what's going on up there to drive that much development?
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:23 AM   #132
Ant131531

Likes (Received): 755

Atlanta's Midtown number is impressive considering that Midtown Atlanta is only like .8 square miles large(the urban part at least).
Ant131531 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #133
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
Charlotte is a beast in it's region. With the slight exception to the Raleigh-Durham area, there is really no large metro area for several hours away in any direction. It is THE CITY for North Carolina and South Carolina.
Atlanta is only 3½ hours from Charlotte; to me, that's only a few hours, not "several."

Charlotte is certainly the unofficial capital of the Carolinas, but it doesn't absolutely dominate the Carolinas like, say, Atlanta does for Georgia. The other large cities in the Carolinas have a lot of offerings in their own right, some of which aren't even present in Charlotte (e.g., Old Salem, some of the museums in Raleigh and Columbia, a zoo, a historic urban fabric/historic sites of interest, etc.).
Old October 18th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #134
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Well, um...the Triad is about half an hour away from Charlotte and at 1.6 million, I'd say that constitutes another large metro area nearby. On that same note, the Triad is THE metro area for northwest NC and southwest VA - not Charlotte. You seem to have completely overlooked the third major metro area of NC as well as the largest metro in SC, Greenville-Spartanburg (population 1.13 million) - located less than an hour south of Charlotte.

All three NC major metros are part of the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_Megaregion) that stretches from The Triangle to Birmingham and includes several major metros that are pretty tightly positioned mostly along I-85. So while I agree with you that Tampa and Charlotte are different types of cities (basically a vacation/tourist mecca vs a corporate/inland city) they aren't as starkly different as you're making them out to be. You seemed to have overlooked a lot of facts about Charlotte in your conclusion. You definitely didn't put anything to rest here.
Winston-Salem and Greensboro are 2 separate MSA's as are Greenville and Spartanburg.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #135
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Winston-Salem and Greensboro are 2 separate MSA's as are Greenville and Spartanburg.
As are Raleigh and Durham but he slid those in there anyway. The point is that someone implied that there are no other large metros near Charlotte when there ARE actually other urban areas with significant populations near Charlotte just like there are Tampa. Like krazeeboi said even Atlanta is only 3 hours away (he said 3.5 but I usually do it in just over 3).

Whether the Census Bureau recognizes these areas as one or not, they are widely known as the Triad and the Triangle (and Upstate SC). I guess people can refer to them however they want.
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #136
Greens!

Likes (Received): 13

If we are speaking of "transformation" then I think Houston should get a mention for the widespread change in built form. Almost all of the new townhomes have been built since 2005 or so.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

nick.english.dept liked this post
Greens! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #137
Skanky the Boricuo
Panache

Likes (Received): 107

Houston has done a great job densifying strictly in terms of numbers, and I do like Houston overall...diverse...great food...great people...great civic and cultural institutions...but at street level, those new neighborhoods in the foreground, newfound density notwithstanding, are still an absolute train wreck. Zero retail to speak of, nothing but fences and blank walls and garages facing the street...no cohesion whatsoever...buildings facing every which way...quite an uninspiring pedestrian experience, to put it kindly. So, they're on their way, but still a long way to go before they can be considered a vibrant urban neighborhood.
Skanky the Boricuo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #138
Ant131531

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky the Boricuo View Post
Houston has done a great job densifying strictly in terms of numbers, and I do like Houston overall...diverse...great food...great people...great civic and cultural institutions...but at street level, those new neighborhoods in the foreground, newfound density notwithstanding, are still an absolute train wreck. Zero retail to speak of, nothing but fences and blank walls and garages facing the street...no cohesion whatsoever...buildings facing every which way...quite an uninspiring pedestrian experience, to put it kindly. So, they're on their way, but still a long way to go before they can be considered a vibrant urban neighborhood.
This. It's amazing how different Atlanta and Houston are developing considering they're both huge sunbelt metropolises. Houston is densifying at a more rapid rate than Atlanta, but Atlanta is developing urban streets at a higher quality than Houston largely due to better zoning and more strict NPUs.
Ant131531 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #139
Evil wheat

Likes (Received): 0

Mobile Alabama, hopefully it has a prime location with it being a bay on the coast with several businesses coming to it, however it doesn't have a international airport just a regional.
Evil wheat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 05:52 AM   #140
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This. It's amazing how different Atlanta and Houston are developing considering they're both huge sunbelt metropolises. Houston is densifying at a more rapid rate than Atlanta, but Atlanta is developing urban streets at a higher quality than Houston largely due to better zoning and more strict NPUs.
From what I heard after Harvey, doesn't Houston not even have a zoning code?

Also, I was just reading up on Raleigh's new MASSIVE transit expansion which would take place over the next 10 years or so. It includes rapid buses, light rail, and commuter rail. I was really surprised by what is essentially a mid-city city having such an ambitious transit expansion plan. Here it is if you guys want to read up on it http://www.waketransit.com/transitplan/ .

Here in Miami, even though we are larger we are right now fighting over (mostly with the county mayor), our transit future. He sees a future of driver less cars, while others see a need to expand our mass transit system now, instead of the transit cuts he is currently proposing.

Anyways, from the little I know I think mid sized cities like Raleigh have a great potential to make a huge transformation from where they stand. Larger cities like those in Texas, Florida, and Atlanta, will probably still be massive but they won't see a huge transformation like other mid-sized cities in the south would.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote