search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties
» Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #8621
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22063

" Likes " this Great post of UrbanImpact, I think and maybe believe IMO only, please I believe it will hurt Brightline's Fast Speed Service to ON TIME to Future Orlando International Airport Intermodal Station in/BY 3 Hours from Downtown Miami !! , reason, there will be at least 24 to 32 Brightline Trains Running for sure by 2022 for sure, too busy for more other trains to operate on just 2 Tracks up the Northeast corridor, I like the plan, but it's not going to happen on the FEC Tracks north of the 71st street Connection of TRI - Rail's CSX east - west with Cargo Trains Tracks with/and FEC Tracks
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
This new Tri-Rail line would actually make it viable for a lot of people to use transit vs. driving (like me) and should be in a priority level 1 category. I feel like i'm driving on a death road everyday during my I-95 commute.
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #8622
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1164

Just heard on NPR, that there has been some half dozen apparent suicide by train attempts (some successful) around South Florida recently. People have been jumping in front of Tri-Rail, Bright Line, and I think Metro-Rail Trains trying to kill themselves. They are thinking of placing signs with hotlines around train crossings and even using flying drones to stop this.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #8623
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2520

The one with the Brightline train made waves, because of the tension, a death before the line opens is fodder.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #8624
xerxesjc28

Apparently it has been part of a trend of people trying to commit suicide by train.

Quote:
Homeless couple hugged before lying on train tracks in suicide attempt
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...164157487.html

A Tri-Rail train conductor saw a horrible thing on his regular Wednesday morning run, he told police.

The conductor saw a man and a woman embrace, then lay down on the tracks he was barreling toward, near the 300 block of North Congress Avenue.

“He immediately hit the brakes,” Delray Beach Police spokeswoman Dani Moschella said. “Unfortunately, you can’t stop a train on a dime.”

Brandon Weiner and Mary Ann Ortega, both 29, were taken to Delray Medical Center, where they remain in “extremely critical condition,” she said.

Investigators said the couple were homeless. They told a Boynton Beach officer two weeks ago they fell on hard times, according to the Sun Sentinel, when he found them by a dumpster and arrested Weiner on a heroin possession charge.

If you or someone you know is considering self harm, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available 24/7: 1-800-273-8255

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #8625
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 8882

Oh, man. That's just so damn sad and horrific.

A bit off-topic here but the opioid epidemic in this country right now is just staggering. It's everywhere.
spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:39 AM   #8626
CalleOchoGringo

Likes (Received): 2587

A Miami-Dade rarity: a speedy bus route that’s actually attracting passengers

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...164282702.html
CalleOchoGringo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:56 AM   #8627
xerxesjc28

At times it seems the whole transport system is falling apart.
Quote:
Chunks of concrete fall from Metromover tracks to ground below

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...165126602.html

AUGUST 02, 2017 11:32 PM

Big chunks of concrete from the tracks of a Metromover station came crashing to the ground Wednesday night. There were no reports of injuries.

The area at the 5th street Metromover station was roped off as crews looked into what could have caused this.

Varying sizes of concrete chunks fell on the ground, including some big ones.

One man who said he witnessed what happened told CBS4’s Oralia Ortega he was walking his dog around 6 p.m. when he heard what sounded like a crash.

He said he saw a man who was sitting on a bench stunned after the chunks of debris fell near where he was sitting and the man was just thankful he was not hurt.

The witness also said this is a rather busy area not only because of the people who ride the Metromover but because of the amount of people who walk their dogs on a path next to the station.

Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:33 PM   #8628
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22063

wow, God watching was for sure , Xerxesjc28 , "Likes" to you , and so many more " Likes " to you for sure, Great News story., from Miami Forum Brothers, Sisters and Friends to Everyone Here, Nice and Great Updates ,good thing NO ONE was hurt, but remember the Pounding of the Pillars next to the 5th Street Station there next to Brightline's tall Columns Over the Station and Line, has something to do with this collapse, and probably was cracked over a year ago, anfd finally Gave way with the heavy Rain over the past week, for sure, Everyone is Lucky !! Good thing it happen now, way before Brightline Opens in 6 Months there at the Downtown Brightline MiamiCentral Train Station with the opening , could of been thousands around that very important connection 5th Street Metromover Station in the Center of it ALL
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:45 PM   #8629
xerxesjc28

Good points, did not consider that. Although, with all the construction going on in Downtown I wonder if maybe all the stations/columns should be inspected for cracks?

Old August 4th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #8630
CalleOchoGringo

It will take deaths on a bridge somewhere (like that one time in Minnesota a few years back). Before the Govt finally starts funding infrastructure. But only after the usual blame game back and forth between them for a few days of course.
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #8631
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalleOchoGringo View Post
It will take deaths on a bridge somewhere (like that one time in Minnesota a few years back). Before the Govt finally starts funding infrastructure. But only after the usual blame game back and forth between them for a few days of course.
They didn't even start funding it after THAT, though!

Going to be in Stockholm in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to spend some time back in the SANE world where things like this matter!
Old August 10th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #8632
BornInTheGrove

Likes (Received): 1078

very interesting and informative video on street cars

BornInTheGrove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #8633
xerxesjc28

I am at a lost for words, wow, just wow.
Click the link to see the "vehicle".

Quote:
Coming to a Metrorail station near you: Miami-Dade’s anti-terrorism squad.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...166374222.html

Miami-Dade has a new tactic for fighting terrorism: deploying police with rifles, gas masks and riot helmets to well-traveled public places, including Metrorail stations, County Hall and courthouses.

Members of the new “Rapid Deployment Force-Counter Terrorism” can travel in an armored vehicle that’s equipped with an overhead turret and slots for firing rifles. It was parked in the public square in front of the Stephen Clark government center in downtown Miami on Monday while the County Commission was inside for an emergency meeting to approve a resolution condemning Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro.

Last edited by xerxesjc28; August 10th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #8634
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2520

Oh come on, this is like the lowest security most hand greasy town there is.
It's backwoods enough seeing shot guns wielded in public by officer Sawgrass
and the Florida brigade.

If I punch it do I get one wanted star, or is it immediate murder cuz it counts
as the army?
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #8635
xerxesjc28

It is not even the waste of tax payers money that bothers me most, it is the fact that this is deemed necessary and that there is little to no outcry about how insane this is.
It has become "Normal".

Old August 11th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #8636
xerxesjc28

Quote:
County looks at buying rail lines from CSX Corp. for transit
http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2017/0...-corp-transit/

Miami-Dade’s business leaders should look again at a proposal to have the county buy 35 miles of rail line from the CSX Corp. for new commuter service, County Commission Chairman Esteban Bovo Jr. says.

The county and business leaders have looked at the plan in the past but had difficulty striking a deal. But Mr. Bovo says things now have changed.

The railroad has two lines that would tie into county transportation plans, one running 11 miles from near Miami International Airport to the west and the other running 24 miles from near the airport to Homestead in the south end of the county.

The new element in the equation, Mr. Bovo told Miami Today, is that the railroad changed its leadership with the March announcement that F. Hunter Harrison, the 72-year-old former head of the Canadian Pacific Railway, had signed on for a four-year term as CSX chief executive officer. The railroad, he said, has approached Miami-Dade County and is interested in selling the lines and then running limited freight service on those lines in pre-dawn hours, leaving the rails otherwise clear to establish new commuter service to both West Dade and South Dade.

Mr. Bovo says he is interested in having business leaders look at the plan and not leave it to politicians, noting that business leaders in the past had looked at county acquisition of the CSX line to the west.

In June 2015 the Massachusetts Department of Transportation acquired a 21-mile segment of rail from Framingham to Mansfield from CSX Corp. for $23 million. Mr. Bovo said that put in his mind a Florida price of $1 million a mile, or $35 million, to pay CSX. Even a price of $1.5 million per mile would work for the county, he said.

Old August 13th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #8637
xerxesjc28

Quote:
County paying transit consultants $12 million but can’t find $5 million to lift Metrorail cuts
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...166857857.html

With budget cuts causing longer waits for Metrorail trains, Deborah Sprouse sometimes uses tactical retreats in her commute to combat crowded trains.

“Some mornings, I’ll be waiting for the northbound train at Dadeland,” said the administrative assistant from Kendall. “I’ll hop on the south train just so I get a seat when it goes back north.”

In a rocky year for Miami-Dade’s transit system, lifting recently imposed cuts on Metrorail would cost about $5 million. Miami-Dade says it doesn’t have the money in the 2018 budget for that kind of relief since revenue from transit fares and the county’s transportation taxes isn’t hitting budget targets.

As the $5 million in service cuts fuels more frustration for Metrorail passengers, Miami-Dade expects to pay consultants $12 million next year to study whether to expand the county’s rail system farther into the suburbs or pursue more affordable options. The money for Miami-Dade’s “SMART” transit plan for six major commuting corridors comes from the same half-percent sales tax that subsidizes Metrorail, Metromover and county buses.

Supporters of Gimenez defended his July 14 proposal as merely outlining one scenario the county could pursue once the extensive “SMART” planning process concludes next year. Others questioned why the mayor would step in with a detailed transit proposal while consultants working for his transit agency are being paid millions to develop their own recommendations.

“Let the consultants do their work,” said Paul Schwiep, a Miami lawyer and former chairman of a board that oversees the county’s half-percent transit tax. “We really shouldn’t be suggesting to them one solution or another … You need to have the data first.”

Old August 13th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #8638
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

I think some folks thought I was kidding in saying (years ago) that what we mostly do is fund studies. Of Studies. Of Studies.

And then a few years down the road we do another study. Of the same thing we already studied.

And then, of course, another study to make sure the last study was an accurate study that didn't come to a different conclusion from the previous study to the current study.

This is our transit template. I was not kidding about it. But perhaps we need to study it further.
Old August 13th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #8639
xerxesjc28

Is not the reason they keep making these studies due to federal regulations that say that things like "Environmental Impact Studies" need to be done right before any new project is made and those only last a little while before they are required to do the studies again?

So the county likes to have these studies done so when or if a project gets approved the Environmental Impact Studies are already done and the project can move forward right away. At least that is what I think, I am not an urban planner, so I do not for what reason Environmental Impact Studies even exist.

Old August 13th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #8640
CalleOchoGringo

Forcing study after study is turning out to be an effective weapon for Indian River NIMBY's to keep Brightline from going to Orlando.

This country is too over-regulated.