daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2017, 07:49 AM   #2541
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Do you remember how tall this building was going to be?

never cared much for BoA or Fountain Place twins, but this was the one.

JasnoDTX, FLAWDA-FELLA, jonathaninATX liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2017, 05:07 PM   #2542
JJG

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

never cared much for BoA or Fountain Place twins, but this was the one.
Just imagine driving through both of these on 75 towards downtown...
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #2543
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I wish Perot would consider building this old 100 story proposal. This would look amazing on the Dallas skyline. Plus, we've had enough glass a generation can take.

If it was built now, it would look extremely dated. I'm tired of modern interpretations of past architecture styles. Time to create something that's of this era.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #2544
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1555

I personally prefer a diverse blend of architectural styles. But that's just me.

JJG liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #2545
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
If it was built now, it would look extremely dated. I'm tired of modern interpretations of past architecture styles. Time to create something that's of this era.
I really don't get this way of thinking.

Why does a building HAVE to look like the era it's built in?

JasnoDTX, Joshua Dodd, jcastro805 liked this post
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #2546
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I really don't get this way of thinking.

Why does a building HAVE to look like the era it's built in?
Why wouldn't you want to see different architecture styles of each era? I think it's extremely lazy to regurgitate old ideas. There's nothing unique about something that's already been done. Architecture is suppose to be progressive. How are you going to innovate with the same designs from 70 years ago? That means no skysrcapers would have evolved to glass cladding. If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same.

No, architecture lover should be content with non-innovative designs. In Dallas you can obviously see the different styles from each era. That's what needs to continue...

Last edited by Dallaz; August 15th, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #2547
JJG

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to see different architecture styles of each era? I think it's extremely lazy to regurgitate old ideas. There's nothing unique about something that's already been done. Architecture is suppose to be progressive. How are you going to innovate with the same designs from 70 years ago? That means no skysrcapers would have evolved to glass cladding. If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same.

No, architecture lover should be content with non-innovative designs. In Dallas you can obviously see the different styles from each era. That's what needs to continue...
As someone who actually has a degree and worked in a firm, I disagree with EVERYTHING you just said.

- I didn't say anything about not wanting to see different styles of each era. If anything, that first sentence of yours only backs my point, because it opens up the the ability to see different styles being built, regardless of what decade it is.
- How is it "lazy" to build in older styles? (Nothing else to follow on that... I just want to know why you used the word "lazy", especially since most past designs are more ornate and time consuming in the design process.)
- To say that there's nothing unique about something that's already been done is a bit iffy, at best. I'm pretty sure that building an Art Deco style tower in 1980s Dallas would make the building unique. In fact, the height alone would make it stand out.
- "Architecture is suppose to be progressive." Architecture can be progressive AND reflective. There's no rule stating that you HAVE to build a building in the style of what you typically see today... which is kinda my whole point here.

The rest of what you typed mostly just goes into what I already pointed out, but I wanted to focus on this:

"If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same."

...I could very easily say the same about your way of thinking in that buildings that are designed within a certain time period must be constrained to the style that is currently the most popular. And there are only so many different ways you can design within a certain style, but these days, most buildings look even more similar than ever. Some of the latest skyscrapers being built around this country look like they could have been built in the 80s.

BTW, innovation has little to nothing to do with style. You can still have a skyscraper with all the innovation of 2017 but the look of something from 1930. What's wrong with that?
Old August 15th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #2548
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As someone who actually has a degree and worked in a firm, I disagree with EVERYTHING you just said.

- I didn't say anything about not wanting to see different styles of each era. If anything, that first sentence of yours only backs my point, because it opens up the the ability to see different styles being built, regardless of what decade it is.
- How is it "lazy" to build in older styles? (Nothing else to follow on that... I just want to know why you used the word "lazy", especially since most past designs are more ornate and time consuming in the design process.)
- To say that there's nothing unique about something that's already been done is a bit iffy, at best. I'm pretty sure that building an Art Deco style tower in 1980s Dallas would make the building unique. In fact, the height alone would make it stand out.
- "Architecture is suppose to be progressive." Architecture can be progressive AND reflective. There's no rule stating that you HAVE to build a building in the style of what you typically see today... which is kinda my whole point here.

The rest of what you typed mostly just goes into what I already pointed out, but I wanted to focus on this:

"If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same."

...I could very easily say the same about your way of thinking in that buildings that are designed within a certain time period must be constrained to the style that is currently the most popular. And there are only so many different ways you can design within a certain style, but these days, most buildings look even more similar than ever. Some of the latest skyscrapers being built around this country look like they could have been built in the 80s.

BTW, innovation has little to nothing to do with style. You can still have a skyscraper with all the innovation of 2017 but the look of something from 1930. What's wrong with that?
That's the problem. I am going to college to be an architect but I find what you stated to be a cop out. Architects have the ability to create a new style but I guess some lack the talent or willingness to do so. The architecture greats created their own styles of architecture. I intend to do the same when I become an architect. There's nothing wrong with Art Deco style or any other architecture style for that matter....but it seems that architects are just designing buildings (especially in the USA) that are NOT trendsetting.

I find older styles to be extremely cheesy for the current time period. As of 2017, there's no excuse to replicate the same styles. That's why the public finds many new buildings to be boring or uninteresting. Where's the Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, IM Pei, Philip Johnson, etc of today?
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #2549
JJG

Quote:
That's the problem. I am going to college to be an architect but I find what you stated to be a cop out. Architects have the ability to create a new style but I guess some lack the talent or willingness to do so. The architecture greats created their own styles of architecture. I intend to do the same when I become an architect. There's nothing wrong with Art Deco style or any other architecture style for that matter....but it seems that architects are just designing buildings (especially in the USA) that are NOT trendsetting.

I find older styles to be extremely cheesy for the current time period. As of 2017, there's no excuse to replicate the same styles. That's why the public finds many new buildings to be boring or uninteresting. Where's the Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, IM Pei, Philip Johnson, etc of today?
I feel like you only read one or two sentences of what I typed and ignored the rest, because I don't think I could have made myself more clear about that way of thinking...
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #2550
itsmillertime768

Likes (Received): 3

Remember when?

Remember when this thread actually updated people on Dallas development news, rather than just debating hypothetical renderings of never-built skyscrapers?

Dariusb liked this post
itsmillertime768 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #2551
Joshua Dodd

Dallas Metropolis is where all the updates are at
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:11 PM   #2552
tripleD

Likes (Received): 1380

Its been quiet lately

New office tower on the way at Park Lane development on U.S. 75

Quote:
The owners of one of North Dallas' biggest mixed-use projects are planning a new office development that would bring more business tenants to the complex.

The Park Lane development on U.S. Highway 75 already has a combination of shopping, high-rise apartments and three office buildings.

Now owner Northwood Investors is teaming up with commercial property firm Cushman & Wakefield to work on an office tower that would be constructed at the corner of Park Lane and U.S. 75.
Quote:
The 35-acre Park Lane mixed-use project - located across the highway from NorthPark Center mall - opened in 2009.

The owners want to construct up to an up to 11-story office tower with as much as 340,000 square feet of space.

Northwood's Sandy Spurgin said the existing office space at Park Lane is almost fully leased.

"The motivation behind this new building is we've seen serious upward movement in the rents in our existing offices," Spurgin said. "We think we'll garner significant interest with this building."

Northwood hired architect Gensler - the same firm that did the Legacy West project in Plano - to design the tower.

JasnoDTX, jonathaninATX liked this post
tripleD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #2553
tripleD

New apartments on the way near Dallas' Knox Street

Quote:
Construction has started on the next apartment community coming to Dallas' popular Knox Street district.

Dallas builder Trinsic Residential has broken ground for a 124-unit rental project on McKinney Avenue north of Knox.

Called the Hudson, the seven-story building replaces an aging condominium building near Monticello Avenue just east of Highland Park.
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #2554
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

3001 Turtle Creek Mixed-Use Tower Receives City Approval

Quote:
By Adolfo Pesquera
Sept. 13th. 2017

Hillwood Development Corporation has nearly completed the city’s review process for its proposal to construct a 17-story mixed-use office building on one of the last vacant lots next to Turtle Creek in Uptown.
http://dallas.towers.net/2017/09/13/...city-approval/

tripleD, JasnoDTX, jcastro805 liked this post
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #2555
tripleD

Two Multifamily Projects Headed to the Cedars, as District’s Market Heats Up

Quote:
A Dallas-based multi-discipline firm is in the process of bookending the Cedars with multifamily projects to the northeast and southwest ends of the district. The team at BMH As-Built USA and Soho Construction–or BMH for short–market themselves as architects, developers and contractors. Led by developer Saeed Mahboubi, BMH has been working out the details for Destination Residences at 1100 Peters Street for some time.

More recently, Mahboubi purchased the Mirabeau B. Lamar School campus at Corinth Street Road and Gould Street from the Dallas Independent School District for $1.2 million. He announced in May his intention of converting the historic red brick building to 30 apartment units.

Destination Residences, a 62-unit luxury condominium project, has been anticipated for a couple years. BMH had a promotion sign on site claiming units would become available in summer 2016, but as recently as March 2017, the financing still wasn’t in place.

Quote:
This is despite that fact that on October 31, 2016, Soho Construction pulled building permits for a six-story structure. The project site started as a secured surface parking lot that is enclosed on four sides by high masonry walls. The idea was to remodel the existing parking lot into a two-level parking garage. Beginning at the third level, Soho would build condominium units–19 units each on the third, fourth and fifth floors, and five units on a sixth floor.

In early May, BMH was able to announce that it had obtained about $10 million in construction financing. Dallas-based Metropolitan Capital Advisors Ltd. brokered the financing on behalf of 1901 Harwood LLC, the entity Mahboubi’s firm created to own the property.

Just prior to signing for the construction loan, Mahboubi replatted the property in February through the City Plan Commission. The 10-foot building lines were removed from Griffin Street and Peters Street to “allow the property to be developed in accordance with” regulations of The Cedars district, staff said.

Destination is to be a 114,390-square-foot structure, according to its building permit records, and will have a total of 124 parking spaces. BMH has informed brokers that it will offer one and two-bedroom condo units ranging in size from 950 to 1,185 square feet.
Quote:
Whenever Destination does open, it will benefit from some great synergy. The 237-room Lorenzo Hotel recently opened across the street, which is marketed as an “art centric boutique hotel” that features art throughout the property–more than 600 original pieces.

The Destination site is also next door to the Buzz Urban Lofts, a Buzzworks development by Zad Roumaya. It appears Ahboubi and Roumaya are destined to cross paths.

Quote:
Ahboubi’s latest project, the renovation of the historic red brick Lamar School building, will be a block away from another Buzzworks development–Digit 1919 at 1919 Akard Street reached substantial completion last month.

vidgms liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:11 AM   #2556
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

AMLI Fountain Place moving forward

Site prep has started.
Link:https://www.reddit.com/r/downtowndal...g_on_the_amle/

Rendering

JasnoDTX, tripleD, zaphod liked this post
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2557
tripleD

word on the street, aside from amli fountain place, oliver place has also started contruction.

jonathaninATX liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:17 AM   #2558
tripleD

Lincoln Property plans major development with Turtle Creek buy

Quote:
A key Turtle Creek property with a high-profile location has changed hands, and the new owners are contemplating a major development.

Dallas-based developer Lincoln Property Co. has quietly purchased the two-story office building at 2999 Turtle Creek Blvd. near the Mansion on Turtle Creek Hotel. The 25,000-square-foot office sits on more than 2 acres and is across the creek from the Perot family's new corporate campus.

Lincoln Property is marketing the luxury property to potential office tenants while looking to construct a high-rise behind the existing building.
Quote:
The building and development site are on the edge of Dallas' booming Uptown district. The Perot family's Hillwood development group plans to build a high-rise office project on the vacant block next door.
Lincoln Property could construct a tower on the site behind the low-rise building to house multiple uses. Development sites in the Uptown and Turtle Creek area are scarce and properties trade for high prices.
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2559
tripleD

Planned Mixed-Use Project Would Modify Design District’s DoubleTree

Los Angeles-based Axle Capital Group plans to expand the DoubleTree Market Center and eventually add residential and retail. Photo courtesy of Google Maps

Quote:
Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm Axle Capital Group wants to expand the DoubleTree by Hilton Market Center hotel in Dallas’ Design District to eventually include more guest rooms, 100 residential units, new retail space and a parking garage, TOWERS has learned.

The DoubleTree at 2015 Market Center Boulevard, built in 1969, is an 11-story building. Until fairly recently, this was just one of a row of hotels off the Stemmons Freeway, the most prominent being the four-star Hotel Anatole. Other hotels nearby include the Sheraton Suites Market Center, Courtyard by Marriott Dallas Medical/Market Center, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Best Western Market Center and the Days Inn Market Center.

Multifamily development crossed the Stemmons Freeway westward by way of Oak Lawn Avenue and crossed over to Market Center Boulevard in 2011 with the Avant apartments. Photo courtesy of Google Maps / Graphic by Adolfo Pesquera

Quote:
Axle Capital is an international company that is primarily invested in the hospitality industry. It holds few properties in Texas, with the other notable hotel being the historic Sheraton Gunter Hotel in downtown San Antonio.

The Market Center DoubleTree’s surrounding area generally hasn’t been known for its residential development, but multifamily housing has recently advanced this direction by way of Oak Lawn Avenue.

Less than two blocks east, just as the recession was shredding the housing market, two projects were built in 2008 — Camden Design District Apartments at 1551 Oak Lawn Avenue, owned by Camden Property Trust; and Bell Design District Apartments at 1900 Hi Line Drive, owned by Bell Partners of Greensboro, North Carolina.

Quote:
In 2011, Sentinel Real Estate Corp. of New York crossed the threshold from Oak Lawn Avenue to Market Center Boulevard with the construction of Avant on Market Center Apartments. Avant is next door to the DoubleTree and currently valued at $47.5 million with the county appraisal district.

There was a five-year lull in development activity after Avant’s completion, but the demand for high density luxury units never stopped, particularly for properties with frontage on Turtle Creek and the Trinity Strand Trail. The lull ran its course last year when Dunhill Partners broke ground on the Virgin Hotel Dallas, a 14-story hotel rising up between the Bell Design District and Camden Design District communities. An $80 million project, the Virgin Hotel should open in late 2018.

Now comes Axle Capital and its reconsideration of how it should best utilize the 3.7-acre lot upon which the hotel stands. In an “early notice” packet submitted over the summer to the city’s Development Services Department, Robert Reeves & Associates Inc., Axle Capital’s on-the-ground representative, sought a zoning change from Industrial Research to Mixed Use 3, which would allow office, retail, lodging, residential, and building heights up to 270 feet — that’s 20 stories.

Axle Capital laid out its plans in two phases:

“The existing hotel has 227 rooms with 7,000 square feet of meeting space for a total floor area of 102,571 square feet. The applicant is requesting MU-3 District zoning, which will accommodate short-term expansion and future redevelopment plans.”

“Phase I expansion plans include an additional 5,000 square feet of meeting space and 80 to 100 additional hotel rooms. The expansion will be approximately 50,000 square feet.”

“Phase II may include a mixed-use development build-out with a 300-room hotel, 15,000 square feet of meeting rooms; 100 residential units, 22,000 square feet of restaurant or retail uses, and structured parking.”

— Robert Reeves & Associates Letter

The owner has not yet submitted a site plan or even a concept for a revised plat, and their request is not on the calendar for a hearing before the City Plan Commission.

Development of the Avant on Market Center Apartments was the harbinger of more multifamily development on the north end of the Design District. The DoubleTree (background right) is slated for a expansion that will include residential and retail components. Photo courtesy of Google Maps.
Old September 29th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #2560
Joshua Dodd

Dirt is finally moving on AMLI. The tower is going to be rising! Foundation work underway!

https://www.reddit.com/r/downtowndal...g_on_the_amle/

vidgms liked this post

Tags
dallas, design district, downtown, highland park, north dallas, preston, preston hollow, texas, uptown, victory