search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:49 AM   #2541
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Do you remember how tall this building was going to be?

never cared much for BoA or Fountain Place twins, but this was the one.

JasnoDTX, FLAWDA-FELLA, jonathaninATX liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:07 PM   #2542
JJG

Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

never cared much for BoA or Fountain Place twins, but this was the one.
Just imagine driving through both of these on 75 towards downtown...
JJG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #2543
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I wish Perot would consider building this old 100 story proposal. This would look amazing on the Dallas skyline. Plus, we've had enough glass a generation can take.

If it was built now, it would look extremely dated. I'm tired of modern interpretations of past architecture styles. Time to create something that's of this era.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #2544
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1463

I personally prefer a diverse blend of architectural styles. But that's just me.

JJG liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #2545
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
If it was built now, it would look extremely dated. I'm tired of modern interpretations of past architecture styles. Time to create something that's of this era.
I really don't get this way of thinking.

Why does a building HAVE to look like the era it's built in?

JasnoDTX, Joshua Dodd, jcastro805 liked this post
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #2546
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I really don't get this way of thinking.

Why does a building HAVE to look like the era it's built in?
Why wouldn't you want to see different architecture styles of each era? I think it's extremely lazy to regurgitate old ideas. There's nothing unique about something that's already been done. Architecture is suppose to be progressive. How are you going to innovate with the same designs from 70 years ago? That means no skysrcapers would have evolved to glass cladding. If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same.

No, architecture lover should be content with non-innovative designs. In Dallas you can obviously see the different styles from each era. That's what needs to continue...

Last edited by Dallaz; August 15th, 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #2547
JJG

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to see different architecture styles of each era? I think it's extremely lazy to regurgitate old ideas. There's nothing unique about something that's already been done. Architecture is suppose to be progressive. How are you going to innovate with the same designs from 70 years ago? That means no skysrcapers would have evolved to glass cladding. If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same.

No, architecture lover should be content with non-innovative designs. In Dallas you can obviously see the different styles from each era. That's what needs to continue...
As someone who actually has a degree and worked in a firm, I disagree with EVERYTHING you just said.

- I didn't say anything about not wanting to see different styles of each era. If anything, that first sentence of yours only backs my point, because it opens up the the ability to see different styles being built, regardless of what decade it is.
- How is it "lazy" to build in older styles? (Nothing else to follow on that... I just want to know why you used the word "lazy", especially since most past designs are more ornate and time consuming in the design process.)
- To say that there's nothing unique about something that's already been done is a bit iffy, at best. I'm pretty sure that building an Art Deco style tower in 1980s Dallas would make the building unique. In fact, the height alone would make it stand out.
- "Architecture is suppose to be progressive." Architecture can be progressive AND reflective. There's no rule stating that you HAVE to build a building in the style of what you typically see today... which is kinda my whole point here.

The rest of what you typed mostly just goes into what I already pointed out, but I wanted to focus on this:

"If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same."

...I could very easily say the same about your way of thinking in that buildings that are designed within a certain time period must be constrained to the style that is currently the most popular. And there are only so many different ways you can design within a certain style, but these days, most buildings look even more similar than ever. Some of the latest skyscrapers being built around this country look like they could have been built in the 80s.

BTW, innovation has little to nothing to do with style. You can still have a skyscraper with all the innovation of 2017 but the look of something from 1930. What's wrong with that?
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #2548
Dallaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As someone who actually has a degree and worked in a firm, I disagree with EVERYTHING you just said.

- I didn't say anything about not wanting to see different styles of each era. If anything, that first sentence of yours only backs my point, because it opens up the the ability to see different styles being built, regardless of what decade it is.
- How is it "lazy" to build in older styles? (Nothing else to follow on that... I just want to know why you used the word "lazy", especially since most past designs are more ornate and time consuming in the design process.)
- To say that there's nothing unique about something that's already been done is a bit iffy, at best. I'm pretty sure that building an Art Deco style tower in 1980s Dallas would make the building unique. In fact, the height alone would make it stand out.
- "Architecture is suppose to be progressive." Architecture can be progressive AND reflective. There's no rule stating that you HAVE to build a building in the style of what you typically see today... which is kinda my whole point here.

The rest of what you typed mostly just goes into what I already pointed out, but I wanted to focus on this:

"If every architecture firm had that way of thinking...every building would look the same."

...I could very easily say the same about your way of thinking in that buildings that are designed within a certain time period must be constrained to the style that is currently the most popular. And there are only so many different ways you can design within a certain style, but these days, most buildings look even more similar than ever. Some of the latest skyscrapers being built around this country look like they could have been built in the 80s.

BTW, innovation has little to nothing to do with style. You can still have a skyscraper with all the innovation of 2017 but the look of something from 1930. What's wrong with that?
That's the problem. I am going to college to be an architect but I find what you stated to be a cop out. Architects have the ability to create a new style but I guess some lack the talent or willingness to do so. The architecture greats created their own styles of architecture. I intend to do the same when I become an architect. There's nothing wrong with Art Deco style or any other architecture style for that matter....but it seems that architects are just designing buildings (especially in the USA) that are NOT trendsetting.

I find older styles to be extremely cheesy for the current time period. As of 2017, there's no excuse to replicate the same styles. That's why the public finds many new buildings to be boring or uninteresting. Where's the Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, IM Pei, Philip Johnson, etc of today?
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #2549
JJG

Quote:
That's the problem. I am going to college to be an architect but I find what you stated to be a cop out. Architects have the ability to create a new style but I guess some lack the talent or willingness to do so. The architecture greats created their own styles of architecture. I intend to do the same when I become an architect. There's nothing wrong with Art Deco style or any other architecture style for that matter....but it seems that architects are just designing buildings (especially in the USA) that are NOT trendsetting.

I find older styles to be extremely cheesy for the current time period. As of 2017, there's no excuse to replicate the same styles. That's why the public finds many new buildings to be boring or uninteresting. Where's the Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, IM Pei, Philip Johnson, etc of today?
I feel like you only read one or two sentences of what I typed and ignored the rest, because I don't think I could have made myself more clear about that way of thinking...

Tags
dallas, design district, downtown, highland park, north dallas, preston, preston hollow, texas, uptown, victory