daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #121
UmarPK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I'm working in downtown Norfolk this week. It is looking really nice down here!!! Go see the duck in Ghent (mostly for the trip to Ghent. It is a beautiful neighborhood adjacent to downtown).

There will be a food festival in the middle of Broad Street (main drag) in the arts district in Sunday (Richmond). It may make getting around a hassle but it makes for good people watching too. You're gonna want to move to Virginia. Politics more to your liking but not so far out as to assault your Maryland sensibilities. Norfolk in particular is looking really livable these days.
I've been seriously considering Reston, nice, clean, shopping, peaceful, friendly and intelligent people, beautiful lakes, near DC, silver line coming, and theres a lot of new development going on in Reston. I also like many of the homes there that I saw. I'm trying to stay in the NOVA area as many of the IT companies and jobs are in the NOVA/DC/MD area.
UmarPK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM   #122
UmarPK
BANNED

Went to Richmond today, visited the Food street festival on Broad street, VCU campus, Carey Town, May Mont, Main street, Union market, and the downtown area. City was quite dead on Sunday, many stores close early. Went to May Mont estate saw parts of that, Union market has lots of small shops and bars reminded me of Fells Point in Baltimore. The Food festival was ok. Carey town was ok but again a lot of restaurants closed even mid-day. I also saw the state capital building and Executive house.

Overall, I'm glad I visited Richmond but I was quite disappointed in the city, found it quite boring with not much to do, not many attractions to see either. I was expecting it to be similar to DC or Baltimore or even Annapolis after all it is a capital city. I think Virginia needs to do more to develop it's cities especially it's capital which has many poor neighborhoods, bad road conditions, tolls within the city, the city seemed unorganized and badly planned. It's definitely not a walking city. Though again no regret on going something I wanted to do was to visit the capital of Va.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:34 AM   #123
The_Fox

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmarPK View Post
Overall, I'm glad I visited Richmond but I was quite disappointed in the city, found it quite boring with not much to do, not many attractions to see either.
...welcome to Richmond!

CNB30 liked this post
The_Fox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #124
UmarPK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox View Post
...welcome to Richmond!
How do you live there?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:49 AM   #125
The_Fox

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
How do you live there?
It's not really a bad place to live here. Like everywhere in the world, it has its good side and its bad side.

But living here isn't a problem. Visiting is, because you expect to see different things, spectacular things; you want a party! And Richmond seems to be just everyday life.

Don't get me wrong, there are pretty things to see. There are monuments and historical places and all that, but they seem diluted by everyday life, underrated, or neglected.

Most cities have monuments, statues, museums, bars, pretty houses, parks, clubs, restaurants, shops, etc! But Richmond lacks those in a way that sets it apart from the minimum you expect from a city - specially the state capital!
The_Fox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #126
UmarPK
BANNED

There's a lot of graffiti "artwork" in the city as well. People in Richmond seemed different to me than people in NOVA; NOVA people are similar to Maryland urban people. Saw two guys in pick-up trucks with large confederate flags waving in the back, many pick-up trucks. You really felt like you were in the south.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:54 AM   #127
UmarPK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox View Post
It's not really a bad place to live here. Like everywhere in the world, it has its good side and its bad side.

But living here isn't a problem. Visiting is, because you expect to see different things, spectacular things; you want a party! And Richmond seems to be just everyday life.

Don't get me wrong, there are pretty things to see. There are monuments and historical places and all that, but they seem diluted by everyday life, underrated, or neglected.

Most cities have monuments, statues, museums, bars, pretty houses, parks, clubs, restaurants, shops, etc! But Richmond lacks those in a way that sets it apart from the minimum you expect from a city -specially the state capital!
Quote:

Most cities have monuments, statues, museums, bars, pretty houses, parks, clubs, restaurants, shops, etc! But Richmond lacks those in a way that sets it apart from the minimum you expect from a city - specially the state capital!
Totally agree with you. That's why I think Virginia should not neglect Richmond and develop it more but seems the focus and investment is in NOVA. Would be better to make Crystal city or some other city the capital of Virginia (in my opinion). Its modern, clean, economically rich, good demographics, near DC, good roads, shops and restauraunts, etc has more to offer than Richmond I think.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:57 AM   #128
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Richmond is an awesome place if you are an historian. As a matter of fact, the city is deep in history. The next time I drive back to MD, I will stop for a few hours and try to see some of what the city has to offer. I will holler at my political arch rival when I have plans set.

JRQ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:58 AM   #129
hpal3

I must see Miami first.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:41 AM   #130
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
How do you live there?
I didn't like Richmond at first. 4 years later, I love the city like my best friend. This is one city you can't judge by a Sunday of touring the business district and going to a food festival. Come back on a Friday, chill on the rocks in the James River, then head over to Cary Town for lunch, grab a movie in the Byrd theatre, head downtown to the bars and clubs at night, and I;'m sure you'll have a better visit.

Again, don't judge this book by its cover.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

CNB30 liked this post
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:04 AM   #131
hpal3

Looks like good fishing there on the James. Is the water clean, or is pollution an issue?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM   #132
spencer114

Likes (Received): 443

Hpal, definitely look me up if you visit.
I'd be happy to show you around!
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM   #133
spencer114

Are for the water, it is about as clean as anything else in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
There isn't an industry west of Richmond but there is a lot of agriculture and hound development west so there is the politician associated with that.

East of Richmond it gets a bit more dicey. There are chemical plants, paper mills etc and warnings not to eat any bottom feeding fish.

The river is healthier than it has been in decades though. The sturgeon and herons are back with a vengeance. Eagles are as common as squirrels.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #134
spencer114

As for the confederate flags, just curious: did you see them near the VMFA (upper Fan, near Carytown)?

There has been an on going protest there for the past few years. The museum site was the home for confederate veterans, during Massive Resistance confederate flags went up on the site (historically they were never there, the site was developed after the war and flying the flag would have been an act of treason at the time) . The state a few years passed a law that confederate flags cannot be flown on state property. The new director of the museum had them removed (as per the law). Since then folks show up daily with the biggest flags ever made to protest.

There is a counter protest across the street from the flag gets. Both groups are equally dorky.

Last edited by spencer114; June 2nd, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:17 PM   #135
UmarPK
BANNED

Virginia State Capitol by UmarPK, on Flickr

Hot off the press.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:26 PM   #136
UmarPK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
As for the confederate flags, just curious: did you see them near the VMFA (upper Fan, near Carytown)?

There has been an on going protest there for the past few years. The museum site was the home for confederate veterans, during Massive Resistance confederate flags went up on the site (historically they were never there, the site was developed after the war and flying the flag would have been an act of treason at the time) . The state a few years passed a law that confederate flags cannot be flown on state property. The new director of the museum had them removed (as per the law). Since then folks show up daily with the biggest flags ever made to protest.

There is a counter protest across the street from the flag gets. Both groups are equally dorky.

It was on E Broad street near the exit for 95 North.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM   #137
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

If you thought it was boring now, you should have seen RVA a few years back!!! . Perhaps you'll be more entertained if you come back in a few years .

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #138
spencer114

He is accustomed to all of the tax and spend bells in whistles in Maryland. The commonwealth's and it's cities' stellar bond ratings come an an expense.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #139
UmarPK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
If you thought it was boring now, you should have seen RVA a few years back!!! . Perhaps you'll be more entertained if you come back in a few years .

Do you like Richmond or NOVA cities better?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #140
Oaktowntwinz

Likes (Received): 8

UmarPK
I was perplexed by your question to The Fox re "How do you live there?" Perhaps you didn't mean it in an insulting way but I thought it sounded somewhat arrogant. You are entitled to your opinion and I agree Richmond has rough edges that could stand improvement. However, every city does, including DC and Baltimore. I like both cities but many don't. It seems you tried to see as much as you could in a short time. How you could have seen much of Maymont, for example, is hard to fathom considering everything else that you did. Maymont is a very large park and you can easily spend a number of hours there. Rushing from one place to another can lead to a frustrating experience. Also, when traveling, looking for the same things you see at home is pointless. Why go to Richmond looking for the same experiences of DC, B'more, or Annapolis? Each is unique. You sound like you are proud of NOVA and DC. That's cool. Many Richmonders are proud of their city, warts and all.

JRQ liked this post
Oaktowntwinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote