search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #101
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1352

Destructive and deadly week for many in the South!!

This has been one of the worst spring outbreaks of severe weather I have seen for such a large area of the South.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42625977...ther/?gt1=4301

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #102
Panteran

Likes (Received): 13

We can blame the gulf for that. A warm late winter in the south has led to warmer gulf waters compared to last year. Besides the early Feb freeze, temps have been well above average throughout the gulf and is feeding lots of moisture and humidity into these systems.

This is going to give hints as to how the hurricane season will set up. Residents of the gulf coast should put this into consideration. There won't be as many systems as last year (in my opinion with a fading la nina) but there could be more storms that directly impact the United States vs Mexico and the Caribbean due to the Bermuda high keeping everything warm and moist also steering storms west inland vs curving them out to sea.

Sea Surface Temps in the gulf. Some places in the central regions are already at 80+ which is typical of mid summer.
Last year:

2011:

Last edited by Panteran; April 18th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Panteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #103
Panteran

You folks in Arkansas, mid south, up to the Ohio Valley need to keep an eye out today. Yet another significant tornado outbreak is likely to occur.
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #104
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteran View Post
This is going to give hints as to how the hurricane season will set up. Residents of the gulf coast should put this into consideration. There won't be as many systems as last year (in my opinion with a fading la nina) but there could be more storms that directly impact the United States vs Mexico and the Caribbean due to the Bermuda high keeping everything warm and moist also steering storms west inland vs curving them out to sea.

Sea Surface Temps in the gulf. Some places in the central regions are already at 80+ which is typical of mid summer.
Last year:

2011:

We lucked out BIG time last year. One of the most active seasons on record, and pratically ALL the storms (sans Earl) either curved way out to sea or stayed to the south and hit Mexico. That kind of luck for us Americans won't happen again this year, I can guarantee it.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #105
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 41

We'll have some early systems in the Central Gulf...no complaints here, we need the rain. It's been beautiful in New Orleans lately. We're moving past Spring time light green and moving into Dark Green Summer look on the trees.
Sean in New Orleans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM   #106
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19005

Texas is getting really bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
image hosted on flickr

drmon by Quantum2010, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM   #107
Panteran

^ So bad the governor is asking it's citizens to pray for rain. The Possum Kingdom fire has taken quite a toll, both on property (multimillion dollar homes) and lives of firefighters. With summer still yet to come this has potential to be one of the worst drought any place in the country has seen in a while if the pattern persists.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM   #108
TarheelsCubs

Likes (Received): 27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwJfoZ-12c

Is this guy cool or stupid?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #109
Panteran

Video is cool, guy is definitely stupid. This is how people can lose their lives. They watch videos like this (especially areas outside of the tornado proned areas like NC) who don't have experience with them thinking they can make it through one safely like this idiot by getting in their cars and driving into one.

I've seen too many videos of amateurs/regular citizens not equipped to storm chase drive near or too close to tornadoes in NC this past week instead of seeking shelter. For a state with very high educational institutions I hope the people have not regressed to kindergarten-type thinking. It sets a very bad example...
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #110
GeorgiaPeanuts

Likes (Received): 101

Cool picture from recent powerful thunderstorm in the Atown where lightning strikes the pinnacle of the Bank of America building. It must be past midnight since the lights are off on the pinnacle.

GeorgiaPeanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #111
Panteran

April 2011 had the most tornadoes ever for that month. It still is nothing compared to May 2003 with 500+ reported. However, the pattern looks to continue with May just around the corner (worst month for violent tornadoes especially in the plains, most ef5's occur in this month with the last being Greensburg/Parkersburg).

Yet, I sound like a broken record, another outbreak today in the Arklatex region and spreading in the Mid-Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley tomorrow. Storms and more flooding. Through all this west Texas can't seem to get a drop.
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #112
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 52936

The Jet Stream has to either drop down significantly or rise north of Colorado to spur rainfall in West Texas. Gulf moisture keeps getting squeezed to the south and east instead of rolling over the state so it'll probably mean record days without rain. Monsoon moisture requires high pressure over the Four Corners (and very hot days) to begin travelling northward. That's a June/July pattern.
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #113
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 52936

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Cool picture from recent powerful thunderstorm in the Atown where lightning strikes the pinnacle of the Bank of America building. It must be past midnight since the lights are off on the pinnacle.

Nice!!
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #114
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1352

+1.

FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #115
Panteran

Ok I just wanted to take some time to point this out. The storm prediction center has put out a high risk today from the DFW area through Arkansas into Memphis. Sheer is absolutely crazy. High risk usually only comes around once every few years. Large, destructive tornadoes will probably occur in that area, people there should be vigilant.

The south and Ohio Valley are in moderate risk tomorrow, that in itself already is bad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Word is that a PDS (Particularly dangerous situation) tornado watch is coming out later today for that area from the national weather service.

Last edited by Panteran; April 26th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #116
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Newly formed systems out in western Oklahoma and Texas have been gaining energy since 8-9PM if I'm not mistaken. Should roll through eastern Oklahoma in the early morning hours and on into Arkansas at the current trajectory, moving straight east.

Prepare for more rain. Good thing is that this storm is watering the extremely dry western areas of Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #117
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19005

OMG!

image hosted on flickr

us_se_9regradar_plus_usen by Quantum2010, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #118
Panteran

Prayers out to the people of Mississippi and Alabama. Parts of Tuscaloosa and Birmingham are simply gone. What devastation, I hope people there heeded the warnings. Likely ef4 or ef5 damage with mile wide tornadoes ripping through the towns.
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #119
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

I hope this weakens by the time it reaches the Atlantic coast. They usually do.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #120
Panteran

Here is some raw video of the catastrophic Tuscaloosa tornado, just shocking...

http://www.twitvid.com/4W6PU

Tags
weather