daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #1141
KayneMo

Likes (Received): 169

OKC

Drone_View2-0195
by Tony Gaeddert, on Flickr

Will Rogers Park in Northwest OKC

Will_Rogers_Park-0156
by Tony Gaeddert, on Flickr

Last edited by KayneMo; August 8th, 2017 at 12:53 AM.
KayneMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:51 PM   #1142
dbcook256

Likes (Received): 381

Been a long while since my last update on Lynchburg development news or any post really. I will be posting a major update at the beginning of September of all the projects and developments. Lots happening now. $80 million+ in adaptive reuse and new build projects going on right now in downtown Lynchburg, the most investment in decades. Crowds on recent weekends match anything I have seen in Asheville or Greenville, no joke. I am starting to see street performers and live bands on the sidewalks in recent months. This is something I have not seen in five years until now. On the flipside, definitely starting to see more homeless and more graffiti too... But, the momentum is here and there is no stopping the snowball effect as downtown continues to grow and revitalize at an accelerated rate. Here is a recent aerial shot of downtown. Pretty much all the brick buildings you see along the riverfront are now loft apartments. 5 years ago there was maybe 25 units on the riverfront. Today there are 425 units along Jefferson Street, the bluffwalk, and the river with occupancy rates of 95%+...

Source: http://www.323ufs.com/ https://www.facebook.com/323ufs/
Other Cities Lived --- Asheville, Las Vegas, Statesboro, Trier (Germany)

Last edited by dbcook256; August 17th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
dbcook256 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #1143
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 1646

Tampa

https://twitter.com/ENCORETampa/stat...66590909472770

https://twitter.com/InSearchofF8/sta...62672190574594

Last edited by gwiATLeman; September 5th, 2017 at 01:32 AM.
gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:49 AM   #1144
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1228

Well Said. The litter in some areas is absolutely disgusting. Cleanliness is in order and should be dealt with immediately. After all, cleanliness is a sign of civility and that is up to the people living and traveling through there, to each do their part in order to keep the area clean. Programs such as those recommended as well as others, can be put to practice including something like the Adopt a Highway program where people will adopt and take care of a plot of land along the highway. They may plant flowers, shrubs, bushes, trees and the like. It is all about people taking the initiative and making changes that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandslee View Post
It's unfortunate that I-95 through Richmond goes through the absolute worst parts of town, but ironically has one of the best views of downtown (northbound over the James River bridge). I wish the greater Richmond area could clean up the I-95 corridor as this is how most people traveling through see Richmond as a trashy, stinky, industrial city. Maybe put up decorative sound barrier walls to block the view of unsightly industry, paint the steel structures of overpasses (they are all rusty), and perhaps do some major landscaping to beautify the corridor. Who's with me on this? I think we can change some minds about Richmond if we just took some pride in the I-95 corridor! I just traveled on I-95 through Richmond and it does not give a good impression. Just a shame because I know Richmond and it is not what you see/smell when driving through on I-95. Pretty video though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
You really don't want an interstate going through the nicer areas of Richmond...be glad it doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandslee View Post
True, but it would be nice to have an attractive "gateway" tthrough the Richmond area (aka a cleaned up I-95 corridor), which might change people's opinions of Richmond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
With it being a vdot endeavor, I'll be in the nursing home before anything changes with the i-95 corridor.

shakman liked this post
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:28 PM   #1145
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 206

A short video from my last road trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBnZCOf_8w&t=424s
Munichpictures1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:35 PM   #1146
bhamhills

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.english.dept View Post
Well Said. The litter in some areas is absolutely disgusting. Cleanliness is in order and should be dealt with immediately. After all, cleanliness is a sign of civility and that is up to the people living and traveling through there, to each do their part in order to keep the area clean. Programs such as those recommended as well as others, can be put to practice including something like the Adopt a Highway program where people will adopt and take care of a plot of land along the highway. They may plant flowers, shrubs, bushes, trees and the like. It is all about people taking the initiative and making changes that matter.
I TOTALLY agree with you. Officials underestimate the impact of interstate gateways through cities. The I-20 corridor (east west route) through Birmingham is absolutely deplorable and repulsive. There is little wonder that people traveling through Birmingham on that route have a bad impression of the city. it goes through some of the worst areas and there is little effort to keep it clean. Its the gateway to Birmingham. Once the route approaches downtown, the aesthetics improve greatly, but the overgrown landscape litter and bad road maintenance gives a first bad impression that's probably going to be the first and final impression of Birmingham, Alabama. I'm a BIG advocate of clean and well maintained gateways and I-20 through Birmingham needs tremendous help. Thanks for posting this. This is a much needed discussion. Perhaps this subject will make a good thread of its own.

nick.english.dept, shakman liked this post
bhamhills no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 01:03 AM   #1147
nick.english.dept

Beautiful shots of Richmond; I especially liked the first with the boulevard leading to the city center.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:59 AM   #1148
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1190

Oh wow, Richmond is lovely. I love row houses, so that shot of Richmond is fantastic to me. Does Richmond have the largest amount of row houses in the South? I don't see them very often in skyline shots of southern cities.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108

lancetop, nick.english.dept liked this post
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1149
Skanky the Boricuo
Panache

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post
Oh wow, Richmond is lovely. I love row houses, so that shot of Richmond is fantastic to me. Does Richmond have the largest amount of row houses in the South? I don't see them very often in skyline shots of southern cities.
I think so, and I'd be willing to bet that it's not even close given the fact that Richmond was already a large, important city at a time when most southern cities were barely more than a blip on a map. She is a lovely ole dame indeed.

shakman, nick.english.dept liked this post
Skanky the Boricuo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM   #1150
rrtrauts

Likes (Received): 338

Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Richmond, etc., all have large amounts of row houses in the urban cores. Any very old Southern city established in the 1700's or early 1800's is going to have a good amount of row houses since that was the dominant style of inner city architecture at the time.

Savannah

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7216/7...e43d1008_b.jpg

Charleston's Rainbow row

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...w_Panorama.jpg

nick.english.dept, lancetop, Rhodium liked this post
rrtrauts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:59 PM   #1151
dbcook256

Quote:
My hometown of Savannah has tons of row houses. I actually grew up in one in downtown. Here is a recent album from when I was there in 2015. I go back every year and if you haven't been and love history and walkable planned communities you will never forget it. Savannah was the first planned city in America:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1871689

lancetop liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:39 PM   #1152
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1190

Oh wow Savannah is gorgeous, saw all the photos from your link. I am from Florida, lived here my whole life, we have basically no row houses, or barely any structures older than 40-60 years.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108

nick.english.dept liked this post
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #1153
nick.english.dept

Gorgeous View of Atlanta! Beautiful canopy of trees covering this beautiful city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

lancetop, dReAmWiELdEr liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #1154
nick.english.dept

Absolutely Stunning Shot of Miami!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I thought you guys might enjoy these.

Aerial from Brickell House pdf
http://brickellhouse.com/pdf/BHBrochure

image hosted on flickr

miami aerial night from brickell house pdf by Daniel Christensen, on Flickr

Courtesy of Nasa
image hosted on flickr

507761mainiss026e013123 by QuantumX, on Flickr
Old September 27th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #1155
nick.english.dept

Awesome shots of Tampa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post

dReAmWiELdEr liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:40 PM   #1156
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Ask and ye shall receive. The $390,000 Richmond sign along I-95.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

Hudson11, shakman liked this post
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #1157
VTinPhilly

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Those two aerial shots of Richmond show a portion of the city's Fan District which was developed largely between 1890-1930. It is predominately residential in character although most of the eastern portion has been taken over by Virginia Commonwealth University.

Covering at least two-square-miles, and several thousand structures, The Fan contains an amazing collection of architectural styles including Italianate, Richardsonian Romanesque, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival and Art Deco. The heart of The Fan centers on Monument Avenue (shown in both photos) which is a thoroughfare dominated primarily by monuments to Confederate generals who fought in the defense of Richmond during the Civil War. The two monuments shown in the photos are to Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee. Other monuments are to J.E.B. Stuart, Stonewall Jackson, and Matthew Maury. A statue to Richmond native Arthur Ashe was added in 1996.

Monument Avenue is paved with hand-set Belgian asphalt paving blocks and the Avenue itself was recently named one of the country's "10 Greatest Streets" by the American Planning Association. The Fan District is a very beautiful neighborhood and needs to be explored in person to be fully appreciated.

gwiATLeman, shakman liked this post
VTinPhilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #1158
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 391

I use to live in the Museum District which is next to the Fan District, just west of the Boulevard. I use to take long evening walks through these areas. Best place I have ever lived.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb

gwiATLeman liked this post
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #1159
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtrauts View Post
Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Richmond, etc., all have large amounts of row houses in the urban cores. Any very old Southern city established in the 1700's or early 1800's is going to have a good amount of row houses since that was the dominant style of inner city architecture at the time.
Charleston has some row houses, but I wouldn't say it has an especially large amount. Row houses were mostly common in mid-Atlantic cities (Savannah is a bit of an anomaly in that regard) and you don't see a lot of true row houses in other regions of the country, like New England for example.
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #1160
dbcook256

Aerial looking down to historic downtown Lynchburg. Looks to be from mid-2016 based on the level of development I am seeing:

Source: http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=33805

Bonus! Same aerial, this time showing the major residential developments that have occurred in the past five years. Some 600 new loft apartments have been completed since 2012 of which nearly 400 have been built along the riverfront and Bluffwalk pedestrian zone. The residential component is only about $80 million out of a total of $200 million invested in downtown Lynchburg since 2012 so this is just a small part of overall development that has occurred:

Tags
southeast aerials, southeast skylines