search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #41
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
A news station last night made it sound like if Mercedes relocated to Charlotte that it would impact the Uptown skyline ?

Just shoddy reporting or would they likely build Uptown ?

Our developers uptown are foaming at the mouth over an anchor like Mercedes. They would probably sweeten the deal as best as they could

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #42
cityguy610

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=SRG;120039349]Charlotte has largely stopped growing the way it was.QUOTE]

Could you please explain where in the world you got that idea? Crazy talk.
cityguy610 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #43
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 538

[QUOTE=cityguy610;120054879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Charlotte has largely stopped growing the way it was.QUOTE]

Could you please explain where in the world you got that idea? Crazy talk.
Actually, he's right. The way it WAS...
CHARLOTTE used to grow out, now it grows from within, big difference. Can't annex anymore, so millennials and young professionals are moving in droves to the center city and surrounding neighborhoods.

rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 01:26 AM   #44
bigbarcelona

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
A news station last night made it sound like if Mercedes relocated to Charlotte that it would impact the Uptown skyline ?

Just shoddy reporting or would they likely build Uptown ?
http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content...-to-charlotte/
bigbarcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #45
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Actually, he's right. The way it WAS...
CHARLOTTE used to grow out, now it grows from within, big difference. Can't annex anymore, so millennials and young professionals are moving in droves to the center city and surrounding neighborhoods.
Make no mistake, Charlotte is still growing out but it's also now experiencing a ton of infill at the same time.

krazeeboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:03 PM   #46
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
Make no mistake, Charlotte is still growing out but it's also now experiencing a ton of infill at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, I understand. Just pointing out that saying "Charlotte isn't growing like it used to is just false"

rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #47
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand. Just pointing out that saying "Charlotte isn't growing like it used to is just false"
I guess people were taking the original comment to refer to rate of growth and not growth and development patterns, which is why they took issue with it.
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #48
CLTNC

Likes (Received): 388

Mercedes Company is in the Charlotte Metro with 3 plants. (Freightliner).
CLTNC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #49
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I took the original post to be exploring communities experiencing the most dynamic change, not simply absorbing the most growth. New Orleans may experience significant growth but barely change in the next 5-10 years due to it's existing form and development patterns. Atlanta might see the most number of mid-rises go up but how much would that change the dynamics of the urban core?

Small, anonymous cities surely won't see the total volume of change as the likes of Miami, but what little they get might mean a whole lot more net difference to them.
Oh I think the dynamics of Atlanta's urban core is clearly changing.

Ant131531 mentioned a perfect example which is Old Fourth Ward around Ponce City Market. This area was literally a no man's land 10 years ago. To quantify the change (because I like numbers), the area has added approximately 1,600 residential units with another 1,000 in the pipeline, 300,000 SF of retail, and the office space at PCM has quickly leased up.

In Midtown, within five blocks of Tech Square, projects in various stages of development will add approximately 3,100 residential units, 130,000 SF retail space, and 1 million SF of office space. This will be a dramatic change in the fabric of this neighborhood.

I agree that there is a noticeable lag in commercial development in the core which is a concern of mine as well but that is beginning to change with the NCR HQ relocation as an example.
gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #50
eandslee

Likes (Received): 18

I'm just embarrassed that Richmond isn't even in the discussion here. Believe it or not, there was a time when Richmond was the largest city in the Southeast (long time ago). Oh, what have we done to ourselves? We are lucky these days to even get a highrise built downtown every year. I certainly hope that changes for the better, but if so, it will not be foreseen. For now, we continue to fly under the radar. Maybe luck will be on our side and we'll experience an economic boom in the next few years. Don't get me wrong...Richmond is doing very well and is growing, but certainly not at the rate you see in Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Nashville.
eandslee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #51
IberiaCLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post

Specifically of we're talking about urban developments, Uptown is booming more than ever now.

Someone else can list off all the towers ranging up to 43 or so floors. It's a solid list. Not to mention all the retail and such like Whole Foods.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #52
tparkerzut

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandslee View Post
I'm just embarrassed that Richmond isn't even in the discussion here. Believe it or not, there was a time when Richmond was the largest city in the Southeast (long time ago). Oh, what have we done to ourselves? We are lucky these days to even get a highrise built downtown every year. I certainly hope that changes for the better, but if so, it will not be foreseen. For now, we continue to fly under the radar. Maybe luck will be on our side and we'll experience an economic boom in the next few years. Don't get me wrong...Richmond is doing very well and is growing, but certainly not at the rate you see in Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Nashville.
Richmond is getting there. You're right we're not growing as fast as Charlotte, Atlanta and Nashville but you also have to realize that Richmond's land area is six times smaller than Charlotte and over eight times smaller than Nashville's. We are more densely populated than both these cities. I guess what I'm saying is that while our growth has been smaller we have significantly less area to hold the population. Richmond is also picking up on how fast we're growing. I think we'll see a big increase in percentage of population growth by 2020. It's really exciting to live in this city and while we're not seeing tens of thousands move into the city limits the attitude and vibe of the people here, the events happening and the growth that is happening really shows how the city is changing.

JRQ liked this post
tparkerzut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #53
IberiaCLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparkerzut View Post
Richmond is getting there. You're right we're not growing as fast as Charlotte, Atlanta and Nashville but you also have to realize that Richmond's land area is six times smaller than Charlotte and over eight times smaller than Nashville's. We are more densely populated than both these cities. I guess what I'm saying is that while our growth has been smaller we have significantly less area to hold the population. Richmond is also picking up on how fast we're growing. I think we'll see a big increase in percentage of population growth by 2020. It's really exciting to live in this city and while we're not seeing tens of thousands move into the city limits the attitude and vibe of the people here, the events happening and the growth that is happening really shows how the city is changing.

City limit size has nothing to do with our center city urban development. I assume that's what the discussion is technically referring to?

I dont think anyone takes the city limit size of a city literally
Old May 26th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #54
TimCity
Burming Hammer

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparkerzut View Post
Birmingham is kinda in the same boat. Exciting time to live in the city, great vibe, but certainly not seeing the kind of growth that our peers are.
TimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #55
Oaktowntwinz

Likes (Received): 8

Eandslee, there is nothing to be embarrassed about in regards to Richmond's growth. The good news is that it is growing and doing so at an impressive rate. This forum consists of poster's opinions. Many posters are fierce defenders of their cities. I agree with tparkerzut. While Richmond may not be building a lot of skyscrapers, construction is rampant all over the city. Apartment buildings are filled as soon as they are constructed. Without a doubt, this means the city is growing. Surface parking lots are rapidly disappearing. This type of growth is envied by many cities. This is why Richmond is increasingly finding itself on national lists recognizing its urbanity. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. No one knows for sure which Sunbelt city will have the biggest transformation. Richmond may, or may not be the winner, but it is definitely a contender.

JRQ liked this post
Oaktowntwinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #56
Oaktowntwinz

Likes (Received): 8

This was a duplicate message. Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited by Oaktowntwinz; May 26th, 2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: duplicate
Oaktowntwinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #57
spencer114

Likes (Received): 443

City limit size does effect growth in the core to an extent because revenue generated from property tax and income tax (in a city like Columbus OH where counties and cities levy income taxes) funds the infrastructure upgrades and incentives necessary to attract development. In a geographically small city, especially one that has a big state and federal employment base there isn't a lot of taxable assets (the Feds and state don't pay taxes).

That certainly doesn't mean that Charlotte just lucked into to the growth that they enjoy. It took hard work, vision and excellent branding to make it happen. It just takes more work when you are maintaining the infrastructure of a large (16 million square feet of office since) urban area with 1/4 the budget. The types of grand public works projects that really generate buzz are significantly scaled down so that any synergy is significantly lessened.

But boo hoo, cry me a river... Every city has its challenges, some are fortunate to have the right leadership and vision (Charlotte, Nashville...). Richmond has been focusing on the little things that make life better for the people living here. Human scale infill and renovation has been the goal. The public is largely opposed to large scale projects and has been effective at shutting developers down (much to my chagrin). I think that the momentum is unstoppable though. I don't think it will ever be that noticeable to an outsider though.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #58
eandslee

Likes (Received): 18

I agree with many of your comments. Like I said, Richmond is doing very well, but being the impatient man that I am, I wish that we could catch a development wave similar to Austin, TX - that place is unbelievable! There is a lot of forward thinking development going on there, whereas Richmond can't even get a new minor league baseball stadium and a new arena built (thanks NIMBYs). Richmond just has so much more potential than what it is actually doing - it's frustrating to watch sometimes! Birmingham, you ARE in the same boat (sorry). I just don't want my hometown to be known as one of "those" cities that almost, but just couldn't quite, get it together. I have noticed a shift in attitude lately though and that is a positive sign...we are moving in the right direction, just not fast enough for me (just my internal struggle). Richmond really could be the next Austin, Nashville, Charlotte...we just need visionary people in leadership and an overall shift in public attitude that Richmond can, and is, so much more than it is (which is already happening). Love that Stone Brewery is coming, love that buildings have been, and continue to be rehabilitated...but when will the major companies want to flock downtown (some have "caught that vision")? There has to be a level of prestige and desire to do so. Better mass transit, lower taxes, better city government, more overall business and quality of life incentive...more vision will do the trick. Love my Richmond, but I'm very envious of Nashville, Charlotte, Austin and others that are doing so much better - that's right...I'm not afraid to admit it! �� Here's to a awesome future Richmond!
eandslee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #59
IberiaCLT

At least Richmond has a lot of charm & historical buildings and. That's better than skyscrapers.

I don't think of Richmond has a laggard. I think of Richmond as Richmond. A historical, higher density progressive Virginian city. Whether my perception is true or not, I dunno.

Oaktowntwinz, eandslee liked this post
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #60
ah59396

Likes (Received): 161

Richmond has something that a lot of other sunbelt cities can't duplicate. You can always build new transit or office towers. Charlotte can't turn around a build a 120 year old hotel. I have a feeling Richmond is going to become one of the next "it" cities over the next 2 decades. I don't know why, it's just a hunch.

Oaktowntwinz, eandslee liked this post
ah59396 no está en línea   Reply With Quote