search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #61
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
There are more OU grads in Dallas than there are UT grads.
link? I find that hard to believe. There maybe a large OU alumni base. But this is still Texas.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #62
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I saw that Miami won! could possibly beat ou in 1 month????
(crossing my fingers) YES! 4 losses for OU this year!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #63
SRG

Guy who lives in NoVA and guy who lives in Amarillo say there aren't many OU grads in Dallas. Drive around and it's just nothing but OU fans who put OU stuff on their cars, especially in the more affluent north burbs. It's pretty common knowledge that Dallas has a LOT of OU people, especially for being in Texas.

As for OSU..good for them. This is the first time in their history anyone has ever taken much notice of them. I know if OU had a sugar daddy like OSU does we would do more with it than build a small stadium, and I would just like to mention that OU has the second-longest streak of sellouts in the nation. The longest..also in the Big 12..Nebraska. That's some fan loyalty right there, probably one of the many reasons Nebraska is known for the best fans in college football.

I don't know what to say other than what a huge loss it is to see Sam Bradford hurt like that, especially at a time when Bradford's main target, Jermaine Gresham is also out with an even worse injury. I don't think it's just a huge loss for OU, but it's also a huge loss for the Big 12 and the entire college football nation in my opinion. Bradford is a good guy..much like Colt and Tebow. If one of them sustained a bad injury and their team lost I don't think you would see nearly the hatefulness that you see toward OU but that's just me.

I would just like to point out a few major Big 12 wins, in case there's any potential argument that the SEC is on top already or whatever:

1. OSU's defensive beatdown of Georgia was a great win for so many reasons. It proved that a Big 12 team can play defense, it proved that OSU doesn't need its 3-headed Heisman monster (Dez, Hunter, Zac) in full force in order to get a good win, and it was pretty redeeming from a Big 12 v. SEC standpoint after the championship loss. It's a whole new season and OU is not down and out, just held up at this point. Bradford will be back in about 3 weeks.

2. Another great win for the conference was Baylor's win on the road at Wake Forrest. Yeah, it's the ACC and so what. But it's also Baylor. I mean come on, Baylor. If Baylor can beat a fairly decent Wake Forrest team on the road, maybe Baylor really is getting a lot better these days.

3. Mizzou's thumping of Illinois once again in St. Louis. I know it doesn't need to be said that this illustrates head-to-head to strength difference in the Big 12 and the Big 10, but maybe it does. Mizzou is not even ranked, and isn't even expected to contend for the Big 12 North title this year.

4. The scrimmages that KU and Nebraska played. Sure they aren't really quality wins in the grand scheme of things, but it has to be said that KU and Nebraska especially are on the right track with their programs. KU could be another good squad in Todd Reesing's last year as a Jayhawk, and Nebraska is making steady strides forward under new coach Bo Pellini. It's good to see Nebraska once-again ranked in the Top 20 and acting like a program on solid footing. It should also be mentioned that A&M also went on the road to New Mexico and whooped up on UNM. Considering how I think it was UNM that upset A&M last year, that's a good sign that A&M is coming out of the cellar shadows and back into the light of day.

Of course next Saturday will be a whole new week full of its own big matchups. Ohio State and USC will be pretty big news because apparently we need a big loss each year before conference play begins to remind us that Ohio State isn't that good. In the Big 12, look forward to Houston's high-powered offense traveling to Stillwater..which will be an exciting high-scoring game for sure, unless OSU's defense really is miraculously rebuilt under the new D Coordinator. One interested game is Texas actually going on the road TO Wyoming. Haven't seen that in a while..was Texas really that hard up for cash that they couldn't just pay Wyoming to come to them? Kansas is going on the road against a decent UTEP team, so KU will get a chance to prove a little bit more in that game. Iowa and Iowa State is always a good rivalry game between two teams that aren't very good at putting points on the board. Plus, Iowa is always overrated. Somehow they're Top 25 yet again. Colorado is going on the road to Toledo in some serious need of redemption. Colorado isn't a bad team, they just need to get their stuff together. The Hawkins family situation is probably the worst thing that's happened to Colorado in a long time though. .
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #64
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein okc! View Post
how are those facilities supposed to be nicer than ours? i don't think you all understand how a $284 million stadium is by far the best collegiate facility in the nation as well as the best athletic facility in the entire state of oklahoma. autzen stadium, with 55,000 seats, was renovated in 2002 for $80 million and it's probably the only facility that comes close to being as nice as the boone.

http://www.oregongridiron.com/facilities.html

I found a better video. Click on the training room. Oregon's facilities are better than Oklahoma's State.

Does Okalahoma State's locker room have water falls and a juice bar in it?? I doubt it. Does Oklahoma State have a dentist office or ophthalmology room like Oregon's does. Oregon wins hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein okc! View Post

how much was invested in making it the best and loudest atmosphere it is by far the best facility in the nation. back when our stadium only seated 43,000 people and most 6a high schools in oklahoma had nicer amenities, it was still said that for such a small stadium we were some of the loudest fans per seat. now that we put $284 million into a stadium the boone will be louder than most 90,000 seat stadiums, not to mention far nicer.

Loudest and best atmosphere. Doesn't compare to SEC atmosphere.

As far as being loudest I have never heard of Boone Picken being loud.
Stadiums that are louder than Boone would be: LSU, Florida, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, Washington, etc......

This is what a loud stadium sounds like son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1iUV-yIIY

Last edited by papa_spaz; September 8th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #65
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

I would just like to point out a few major Big 12 wins, in case there's any potential argument that the SEC is on top already or whatever:

1. OSU's defensive beatdown of Georgia was a great win for so many reasons. It proved that a Big 12 team can play defense, it proved that OSU doesn't need its 3-headed Heisman monster (Dez, Hunter, Zac) in full force in order to get a good win, and it was pretty redeeming from a Big 12 v. SEC standpoint after the championship loss. It's a whole new season and OU is not down and out, just held up at this point. Bradford will be back in about 3 weeks.

That was not a defensive of beatdown. Georgia lost b/c they dropped to many passes that hit them right in the chest. UGA's qb was missing wide open receviers b/c it was the first game of the season. Oklahoma State had poor coverage during the game. Also, UGA had some bad penalties. A punt return for a touchdown that was called back and hitting the OSU recivers to hard, lol.

So how was this redeeming?? When the third ranked Big 12 school beat the fifth ranked SEC school. Oklahoma State was the favorite and was suppose to win.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #66
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
link? I find that hard to believe. There maybe a large OU alumni base. But this is still Texas.
Quote:
Guy who lives in NoVA and guy who lives in Amarillo say there aren't many OU grads in Dallas. Drive around and it's just nothing but OU fans who put OU stuff on their cars, especially in the more affluent north burbs. It's pretty common knowledge that Dallas has a LOT of OU people, especially for being in Texas.
Did you even read TexasBoi's(guy who lives in NoVa) comment? He said "there may be a large OU almuni base", how can you confuse that with "there aren't many OU grads in Dallas"? For crying out loud, it was a one-line statement.

hopefully, you just overlooked it, and dint just make an incorrect assumption w/o even properly reading it......

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #67
udan

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
2. Another great win for the conference was Baylor's win on the road at Wake Forrest. Yeah, it's the ACC and so what. But it's also Baylor. I mean come on, Baylor. If Baylor can beat a fairly decent Wake Forrest team on the road, maybe Baylor really is getting a lot better these days.
I was at that game and can tell you that Wake was far from decent. I do like Baylors QB though.

udan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #68
SRG

I'm surprised no one corrected my horrendous spelling of Wake Forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
That was not a defensive of beatdown. Georgia lost b/c they dropped to many passes that hit them right in the chest. UGA's qb was missing wide open receviers b/c it was the first game of the season. Oklahoma State had poor coverage during the game. Also, UGA had some bad penalties. A punt return for a touchdown that was called back and hitting the OSU recivers to hard, lol.

So how was this redeeming?? When the third ranked Big 12 school beat the fifth ranked SEC school. Oklahoma State was the favorite and was suppose to win.
OSU and Georgia were ranked nearly the same going into the game and both Corso and Herby picked Georgia. It just so happened that to start the season off the SEC had more teams ranked higher..which isn't the case anymore.

Cox kept missing his passes because of the pressure of the Cowboys D-line. It's how the game of football is played. And if a penalty exists, enforce it. If it doesn't, don't. Should be that simple. The schools in the NCAA agree to the terms..
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #69
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2700

Georgia's offense looked horrific, but its just a case of the better team (OSU) winning. Ill be keeping an eye on the Cowboys to see how their season pans out.

As a conference I would rather have a team lose to a member of the major conferences like the Big 12, rather than a conf. like the WAC.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #70
Nic

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
One interested game is Texas actually going on the road TO Wyoming. Haven't seen that in a while..was Texas really that hard up for cash that they couldn't just pay Wyoming to come to them?
Texas hard up for cash?

When it comes to college football business, Texas Longhorns are on top
02:40 AM CDT on Saturday, October 11, 2008

By GARY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Two No. 1 teams will be on the field today at the Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma in the college football polls and Texas in the college football business.

For the third consecutive year, the Longhorns finished atop the Collegiate Licensing Company's rankings of merchandise sales, a streak that began when Texas won the national football championship in 2006.

In addition, Texas narrowly edged Notre Dame as the top college football revenue producer during 2006-07, according to financial reports filed with the Department of Education.

The Longhorns' football program accounted for $63.8 million of the athletic department's revenue of $105 million, a total surpassed that year only by Florida ($107.8 million) and Ohio State ($109.4 million). Notre Dame's football program generated $63.7 million of the athletic department's $83.6 million in revenue.

Using that same set of financial reports, the most recent available, Forbes magazine last November declared Texas college "football's most profitable team" in 2006-07. The Longhorns generated a surplus of $46.2 million.

The Texas program continues to gain financial momentum. For 2008-09, UT is budgeting total athletic department revenue of nearly $127 million, spokesman Nick Voinis said. Much of the increase is because of an extra home football game and 13,000 extra seats at renovated Royal Memorial Stadium, he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.31c9a2e.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
No, it was a lame attempt to make up for the home-and-home series with Utah that backed out of Utah did.
Utes Blog:
Ute Football by Lya Wodraska

Friday, December 12, 2008
The matchup that could have been
Just something to ponder on your afternoon ride home. I've mentioned it before, but remember, Utah had Texas on its schedule for this season in Rice-Eccles Stadium. The series was cancelled at then coach Urban Meyer's urging because he thought it made Utah's schedule too difficult.
Can you imagine, if the Utes had kept Texas on the schedule and had beaten the Longhorns, they would have had a very good chance of being in the national title game.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/utes/2008/12...-have-been.htm

Last edited by Nic; September 9th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Nic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #71
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Ohhhhh! Jermane Gresham out entire season! Sam bradford out 2-3 weeks!but, OU will have a cupcake this weekend! Idaho St!!!!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #72
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

If I were an OU grad I would probably end up in Dallas as well, no way I would stay in OK once my education was complete.

Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #73
Cashville
BANNED

Quote:
It just so happened that to start the season off the SEC had more teams ranked higher..which isn't the case anymore.
How so?

AP Poll:
SEC:............................Big 12:
1. Florida.......................2. Texas
4. Alabama....................5. Oklahoma St.
6. Ole Miss....................13. Oklahoma
11. LSU........................22 Nebraska
21. Georgia...................24. Kansas
...................................25. Missouri

Coaches Poll:
1. Florida......................2. Texas
4. Alabama....................6. Oklahoma St.
8. Ole Miss....................14. Oklahoma
9. LSU..........................18. Nebraska
21. Georgia....................25. Kansas

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Last edited by Cashville; September 9th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #74
Cashville
BANNED

Georgia also lost their QB (#1 overall pick) leading rusher(#12 pick), and top receiver (#50 pick) to the NFL. Of course their offense is going to be a mess in the first game of the season.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #75
maceo9903

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
BTW, I do acknowledge that the SEC is the best conference year in and year out.
Over the last 10 years the SEC has been the best conference from top to bottom. Don't blow up SEC fan's heads any more than they already are. They need to study the history of college football more. In the 50's and 60's the Big 10 was the best top to bottom, the Pac 10 in the 70's and Miami and FL State dominated the 80s up to the mid 90's. The SEC started reaching it's current status as the nation's toughest conference in the late 90's, and even then the Big 12 in it's infancy was just as tough when Nebraska was Nebraska, the Mike Bishop led K-State teams, Colorado, Texas A&M (hard to beleive they were the best in the South division those first few years of the Big 12) and finally when TEXAS and blOwU got back to their rightful places in college football around '99. Bama and Tennessee are the only 2 SEC schools with a long standing (meaning back in the 40's and 50's they were national powers) national signifigance. Ole Miss was good here and there in the 50's, Georgia has a little history and don't even bring up the Gators as they are a relative new comer to the big boy table since they only became CONSISTANTLY good in the Spurrier era in the early 90's.

As a Longhorns fan, screw the rest of the Big 12! Especially the blOwU Land Theives! SEC fans cheer for each other in Championship games. I am elated each and every time blOwU loses. It's food for my soul.

To all SEC fans...Texas is 44-19 all time against you (not including their 56-21 record against "the swine flu" as they only joind the SEC in 1992.)

Last edited by maceo9903; September 9th, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
maceo9903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #76
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
How so?

AP Poll:
1. Florida.......................2. Texas
4. Alabama....................5. Oklahoma St.
6. Ole Miss....................13. Oklahoma
11. LSU........................22 Nebraska
21. Georgia...................24. Kansas
...................................25. Missouri

Coaches Poll:
1. Florida......................2. Texas
4. Alabama....................6. Oklahoma St.
8. Ole Miss....................14. Oklahoma
9. LSU..........................18. Nebraska
21. Georgia....................25. Kansas

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
You just proved my point, which was that the SEC went into the season with more teams ranked higher than the Big 12 had, which is not longer the case. The Big 12 had a lot of teams go up, and the SEC had some teams go down..mainly Georgia which went from 13 to 21. Of course OU went from #3 to #13 .. but that is still a pretty good ranking. We certainly didn't play like a #13 team against BYU either.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #77
Cashville
BANNED

No, the SEC clearly has more teams ranked higher. Big 12 just snuck a team (or 2) on the back end of the polls. 4 top 10 teams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 top 10 teams.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #78
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Big 12 just snuck a team (or 2) on the back end of the polls.
The Big 12 is so surreptitious.

And for all this talk about how great Oregon's facilities are compared to ol' Okie State's, all I'm wondering is if they have a dojo at the Autzen Zoo..
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #79
Cashville
BANNED

And if you really want to break things down, the SEC has Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Kentucky in the others receiving votes in one or both polls, While the Big 12 only has Texas Tech and Baylor.

Technically those teams are ranked, they just dont have a number beside their name.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #80
SRG

Cashville is reeeeeeally desperate for a point to prove.

Tags
acc, akansas, auburn, bama, clemson, football, ga tech, georgia, kentucky, lsu, memphis state, miss state, nc state, odu, oklahoma, ole miss, osu, sec, southeast college, tenn, uab, unc, uwv, virginia