daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #81
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofThunder View Post
That is nice. Talk about something that really matters:

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Notre Dame 8
USC 7
Oklahoma 7
Alabama 7
Ohio State 5
Nebraska 5
Miami 5
Texas 4
Minnesota 4
LSU 3

Georgia Tech - 4 National Championships...

1. 1917 under John Heisman, with a season-ending 68-7 beat down over Auburn
2. 1928 under William Alexander, ending with a Rose Bowl victory over California
3. 1952 under Bobby Dodd and a win over Mississippi in the Sugar Bowl
4. 1990 under Bobby Ross and a share of the National Championship with a win over Nebraska

Last edited by WeimieLvr; September 11th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #82
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Actually Michigan State was the 1952 national champion and championships from before 1936 are irrelevant for many reasons..the modern era began in '36 with the AP Poll, before that there were multiple champions, anyone could call themselves a champion, and there wasn't a national following to compare the top programs to each other.

Georgia State has 1 national championship. With that said, there are about 10 other national polls that award national championships and I'm sure you could find a 1952 championship out of one of them, it just won't be commonly recognized.

Actually 13 OU teams have been awarded national championships.. only 7 of them, about half, are recognized by the majority of people though. Michigan is always claiming they have like 12 national championships, when most people only recognize 2 of them.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #83
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Actually Michigan State was the 1952 national champion and championships from before 1936 are irrelevant for many reasons..the modern era began in '36 with the AP Poll, before that there were multiple champions, anyone could call themselves a champion, and there wasn't a national following to compare the top programs to each other.

Georgia State has 1 national championship. With that said, there are about 10 other national polls that award national championships and I'm sure you could find a 1952 championship out of one of them, it just won't be commonly recognized.

Actually 13 OU teams have been awarded national championships.. only 7 of them, about half, are recognized by the majority of people though. Michigan is always claiming they have like 12 national championships, when most people only recognize 2 of them.

So it has to be recognized by "the majority of people"? How could you possibly KNOW what the majority of people recognize about anything? You only know what you recognize, so please don't speak for the majority of people. As for actual information, the National Championship in college football has been awarded since 1869, no matter what agency was established in which year. The historical information does not simply end in a year that's convenient for you.

Each one of Georgia TECH's (not Georgia State) National Championships was the result of an unbeaten season. In 1952, Michigan State and Georgia Tech shared the National Championship. In 1928, Tech shared the National Championship with USC. In 1990, Tech shared the National Championship with Washington.
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #84
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post

Since the National Championship has been decided on the field in a championship game Oklahoma has becoming the laughing stock of all of college football. They are constantly out played and beaten down by the opposing team in BCS bowls. This has led many to call Oklahoma the New Buffalo Bills of college football. Big game bob has become big game loser bob.

2003 LSU beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)
2004 USC beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)
2006 Boise State beats down Oklahoma (BCS Bowl)
2007 West Virginia beats downs Oklahoma (BCS Bowl)
2008 Florida beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)

Man, that is some butt whippings. I almost feel sorry for Oklahoma/Buffalo Bills.

Oklahoma's only prayer is for the national championship to be crowned the old paper championship way. This is the only way OU has a shot to win another crown. Because, as Oklahoma has proven many times this decade, when the championship game is decided on the field Oklahoma is outmatched and DESTROYED!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by papa_spaz; September 12th, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #85
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Honestly there is nothing more useless than NCAA football national champions. As bad as the BCS is, it is clearly an improvement.

Look at the 1950 Oklahoma national championship. They are awarded the title before the bowls are played, then go out and get beat by Bear Bryant and his Kentucky team (yes that is accurate) in the Sugar Bowl. But since the AP championship was awarded prior to the polls OU gets it and not UK.
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #86
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
Since the National Championship has been decided on the field in a championship game Oklahoma has becoming the laughing stock of all of college football. They are constantly out played and beaten down by the opposing team in BCS bowls. This has led many to call Oklahoma the New Buffalo Bills of college football. Big game bob has become big game loser bob.

2003 LSU beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)
2004 USC beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)
2005 Boise State beats down Oklahoma (BCS Bowl)
2006 West Virginia beats downs Oklahoma (BCS Bowl)
2007 Florida beats down Oklahoma (National Championship)

Man, that is some butt whippings. I almost feel sorry for Oklahoma/Buffalo Bills.

Oklahoma's only prayer is for the national championship to be crowned the old paper championship way. This is the only way OU has a shot to win another crown. Because, as Oklahoma has proven many times this decade, when the championship game is decided on the field Oklahoma is outmatched and DESTROYED!!!!!!!!!!!

Good information!

I guess, according to SRG, we should probably only count National Championships awarded since the BCS was established in 1998...any that came before the current system should not be counted - right?
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #87
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Honestly there is nothing more useless than NCAA football national champions. As bad as the BCS is, it is clearly an improvement.

Look at the 1950 Oklahoma national championship. They are awarded the title before the bowls are played, then go out and get beat by Bear Bryant and his Kentucky team (yes that is accurate) in the Sugar Bowl. But since the AP championship was awarded prior to the polls OU gets it and not UK.

But the NCAA recently recognized Kentucky as the co-winner of the 1950 National Championship with an awards ceremony for the players from that team.
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #88
Cashville
BANNED

Did they have the ceremony at a Lexington area nursing home?
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #89
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Did they have the ceremony at a Lexington area nursing home?
It was in 2005 during halftime at Commonwealth Stadium...the surviving players from the 1950 team would have been roughly between 73 and 77 years old. I think you can probably leave the nursing home to attend an important award ceremony like a retroactive NCAA National Championship that your team deserved 50 years ago.
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #90
Cashville
BANNED

Another strong performance by the Big 12 last night, Colorado giving up 54 in a loss to a MAC team.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #91
Nic

Likes (Received): 36

It is worth noting Colorado is the worst team in the Big 12 this year. I honestly don't think they'll win a conference game this season.

Nic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #92
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
It is worth noting Colorado is the worst team in the Big 12 this year. I honestly don't think they'll win a conference game this season.

It's similar to Duke and UVA being the worst teams in the ACC and both losing to Colonial Athletic Conference teams. Incidentally, Duke lost to Richmond - last year's winner of the FCS National Championship.

In my opinion, the worst teams in any conference should never be held up as an example of the entire conference. It's silliness.
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #93
Cashville
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Pretty sad if they are worse than Iowa St., couple really terrible teams in that conference.

Old September 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #94
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Texas in titanic struggle vs ... Wyoming ?

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #95
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Texas in titanic struggle vs ... Wyoming ?
I wouldn't make much of it. Texas had the exact same game from UTEP last year when they won 42-13. One of those games where they really didn't get up for. That said, Greg Davis called a horrible game in the first half tonight. He woke up in the 2nd half, though.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #96
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

There really isn't any excuse for even a slightly close football game between the #2 ranked team and Wyoming. A team ranked in the top 5 or even in the top 25 should be up for EVERY game. Period.
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #97
Cashville
BANNED

Texas ended up taking care of business, Florida wasnt looking so hot the first quarter and a half against Troy either.

OK St. goes down to Houston, pretty much ends any reasonable Big 12 is better than SEC talk for this year. 2 of the big 3 have now lost to non BCS schools.

Tennessee loses 19-15 to UCLA, now have a week to prepare for the raping they will receive next week against Florida.

South Carolina pretty much curb stomping Georgia outside of kickoff returns. Up 17-7 in the first quarter, UGa scored on a 100 yard kick-off return. UGa just got another return to mid-field.

Old September 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #98
Laam1199

Likes (Received): 0

Texas took a while to get it rolling, but they ended up completely dominating the 2nd half. I except them to give Wyoming more of a smack down when they visit Austin next year. Kudos to Wyoming for giving UT a run for their money. But when it comes down to it, a win is a win.

That being said, seems like the other Cowboys (Ok State) lost another big game, to and un-ranked Houston team... AT home! I tip my hat off to Houston; they played wonderfully, and I feel now deserved to be ranked at least in the Top 25 after that win. Must hurt to be a Cowboys fan right now.

Hook -em!

Copyright: University Of Texas
Laam1199 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #99
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
There really isn't any excuse for even a slightly close football game between the #2 ranked team and Wyoming. A team ranked in the top 5 or even in the top 25 should be up for EVERY game. Period.
Didn't make an excuse. I said Texas particularily Greg Davis which is the Texas offensive coordinator called a terrible first half by not using the size and speed to his advantage. He adjusted and Texas won by 31 points. The defense didn't give up a touchdown and played very good though not great because of the lack of turnovers that dropped out of their hands today. Florida actually struggled for a while against Troy today themselves. It happens. In the end, Texas took care of business.
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #100
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laam1199 View Post
Texas took a while to get it rolling, but they ended up completely dominating the 2nd half. I except them to give Wyoming more of a smack down when they visit Austin next year. Kudos to Wyoming for giving UT a run for their money. But when it comes down to it, a win is a win.
Yeah I give credit to Wyoming. They played with heart and passion and looked like they were part of the very underrated Mountain West conference. UT should know that they can't play like that against BCS teams especially next week against Tech although I expect Texas to stomp them pretty badly.

Tags
acc, akansas, auburn, bama, clemson, football, ga tech, georgia, kentucky, lsu, memphis state, miss state, nc state, odu, oklahoma, ole miss, osu, sec, southeast college, tenn, uab, unc, uwv, virginia