daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2017, 07:02 PM   #6381
goodybear

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_parca View Post
it is a pity that they have ruled out the design of foster for wtc 2 and eliminated the pinnacles of wtc 3, in addition to wtc 4 already is very common, the only one that stands out is WTC 1, now the complex is see very square comparing it to how it would be before

too much difference
Technically Foster's 2 WTC is still in the game, since the tenant decides what design is chosen. However, it is clear Silverstein is currently favoring BIGs 2 WTC. As for the Spires, they might come back if Foster's 2 WTC is chosen, since they were removed to fit more with BIG's flat topped design.
~3-5m, 1fl

SMCYB liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:00 AM   #6382
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1078

No, the spires were scrapped through value-engineering. Don't expect to ever see them.
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:37 AM   #6383
baronson

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
No, the spires were scrapped through value-engineering. Don't expect to ever see them.
That's probably the real reason, but the BS answer given by Rogers and co was that it was redesigned to more fit in with BIG's version of 2WTC. BIG's design ruined two towers at once.

Scrapernab2, goodybear liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:54 PM   #6384
SgtPepper67

Likes (Received): 21

i saw one of the shipping container offices on vesey for T2 being demolished today. any significance in that? or just standard construction procedure?
SgtPepper67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:58 PM   #6385
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Yes it is your opinion. And even if it were everybody's opinion (which it isn't) then it would still be an opinion. And it wouldn't change a thing because:

That's actually exactly what they are for.

New York isn't a mausoleum. I'd argue it's less respectful to the 9/11 dead to treat whatever gets rebuilt with such unobtainable reverence that decades later there's still nothing on the site but a hole in the ground.

Firstly, ask any New Yorker on the street on September 10th 2001 what they think of the WTC and they'd say it was an ugly eyesore and the worst thing about the city. It became iconic because of its central part in a tragedy. And it was respected for its unwavering pragmatism. Not because of its world-beating design.

Secondly, there's nothing more in-keeping with the spirit of the city than new WTC buildings being just as ugly and just as functional as the old ones. An 'ugly box' describes perfectly what the old site represented. If anything, the stylish diamond-crested design by Foster is worlds apart from the tone of the original twins, and not a fitting replacement.

Which is to say nothing of the hypocrisy of suggesting a building that appears to 'topple' is an unacceptable reminder of tragedy, but one that looks like the top half was sheared off is somehow ok. I don't want to delve into the specifics of the WTC collapse but they didn't fall over like tree trunks. That argument is bunk.

Bottom line is this: the empty plot currently there is more of an insult to the dead than another ugly building rising in Manhattan. Every building in Manhattan is ugly. If you want sleek and stylish then go to London or Paris or some other city that has less important things to worry about. New York hasn't got time for that. It's carrying the world's economy on its shoulders. Pragmatism rules, and if some company wants X amount of floorspace for Y amount of dollars, then I say let them have it. We'll grow to love whatever rises on that spot, in time. And if we don't, then hating it with a daily dose of annoyance and regret brings us closer to the people we lost than any fountain or world-class skyscraper design ever could.
Verbal diarrhea. I pictured you saying this with feces dribbling down your chin
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:34 PM   #6386
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper67 View Post
i saw one of the shipping container offices on vesey for T2 being demolished today. any significance in that? or just standard construction procedure?
I think the trailers you see near the T2 site were for the PAC/VSC site next door. They seem to have stopped work on that lately, although I can't tell for sure since the cams have been down for the past 2 weeks. Anyone know what's going on there?
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:32 AM   #6387
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
I think the trailers you see near the T2 site were for the PAC/VSC site next door. They seem to have stopped work on that lately, although I can't tell for sure since the cams have been down for the past 2 weeks. Anyone know what's going on there?
Everything at the site has come to a halt, it would seem.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:30 AM   #6388
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

Wacky and retarded; doesn't embrace the spirit of Lower-Manhattan and takes away from the charm and superiority of One World Trade Center. The public voiced their negative opinion regarding this monstrosity, and hopefully the developers will heed the general public sentiment.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:35 AM   #6389
Peter G

Likes (Received): 47

I have posted many comments about the audacity of New York. But the fact that 2 WTC has made no progress from rendering to reality is a blight. Everything ideally should have been completed in the WTC complex by the end of this decade, even if subsidised by the government authorities. Look at how midtown has eclipsed downtown hands down.

Dale liked this post
Peter G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 01:32 AM   #6390
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 133

It's beyond ridiculous at this point that 2 WTC hasn't resumed construction by now. They should just start the damn thing at least like the base just as they did Tower 3 and continue when an anchor tenant surfaces. Instead they just keep wasting more and more time. It's almost 2020, nearly 2 decades after 9/11. Wtf... This is what happens when the Port Authority runs everything, they do whatever they want like raise tolls on their shitty bridges and tunnels. We're the ones funding this new Trade Center. Just finish it already. Hudson Yards is kicking the shit out of this complex because they already have like 5 or 6 Towers rising over there and they started a few years ago first with 10 Hudson Yards. The Port has the damn money, they act like they're broke. I really wish they would have sold the land after 9/11 instead of leased the complex to Silverstein, let a real developer take over. I really hate the Port Authority. We honestly don't need them around. They do nothing good for anyone. Period. People could disagree with me all they want but I'm just stating the obvious. I know it won't get the Tower done faster but people need to be Frank about the lack of progress, practically at snails pace. Then they rush it towards the very nearing completion, and it looks like a half ass job. The marble in the mall is rotting away, all brown coating on the once beautiful white marble floors. The original mall had a way better look. This one is just mundane af. Don't get me wrong they did a good job, but it could have been better, and you would have expected that following 9/11. In all honesty the terrorists truly won that day. This complex has been the worst reposnse and comeback in the history of comebacks. At this point, just finish the damn thing, heal the wound already...

nylkoorB liked this post
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 02:33 AM   #6391
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
It's beyond ridiculous at this point that 2 WTC hasn't resumed construction by now. They should just start the damn thing at least like the base just as they did Tower 3 and continue when an anchor tenant surfaces. Instead they just keep wasting more and more time. It's almost 2020, nearly 2 decades after 9/11. Wtf... This is what happens when the Port Authority runs everything, they do whatever they want like raise tolls on their shitty bridges and tunnels. We're the ones funding this new Trade Center. Just finish it already. Hudson Yards is kicking the shit out of this complex because they already have like 5 or 6 Towers rising over there and they started a few years ago first with 10 Hudson Yards. The Port has the damn money, they act like they're broke. I really wish they would have sold the land after 9/11 instead of leased the complex to Silverstein, let a real developer take over. I really hate the Port Authority. We honestly don't need them around. They do nothing good for anyone. Period. People could disagree with me all they want but I'm just stating the obvious. I know it won't get the Tower done faster but people need to be Frank about the lack of progress, practically at snails pace. Then they rush it towards the very nearing completion, and it looks like a half ass job. The marble in the mall is rotting away, all brown coating on the once beautiful white marble floors. The original mall had a way better look. This one is just mundane af. Don't get me wrong they did a good job, but it could have been better, and you would have expected that following 9/11. In all honesty the terrorists truly won that day. This complex has been the worst reposnse and comeback in the history of comebacks. At this point, just finish the damn thing, heal the wound already...
I'm with you on the frustration and the impatience as a lifelong New Yorker from before 9/11, and of course - with the Port Authority hate. But I do not believe that Port Authority has anything to do with 2WTC. At least that's what someone told me when I went on my own rant on the Port Authority earlier in this thread. We all do it.
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:23 AM   #6392
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 248

The PA got the revered twin towers built.
If anything I would blame WTC snail pace at Silverstein, he wants to make the most dime off what USED to be public property.
And if WTC 2 winds up with the stacked box design instead of Fosters, I’ll blame him for that also.

SMCYB liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center