daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #17381
amittabha1968

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay2Calcutta View Post
Tech hub to mass-transit interface
Overbridge to link Sec V stations

The two stations along the Salt Lake Bypass, in front of Wipro. The East-West station is on the right while the under-construction station of the Garia-Airport link is on the left. A foot overbridge will connect the two. Picture by Sanjoy Chattopadhyaya

Salt Lake: Technology nerve centre Sector V could emerge as a Metro motherboard with parallel lines of the East-West and New Garia-Airport links converging there. Both routes will eventually extend to the airport.

The two stations are on either side of the Salt Lake Bypass in front of Wipro building. Railway officials said a foot overbridge connecting the concourses of both stations will be built a little over six metres above the road.

"The two Sector V stations will comprise a mass-transit hub providing seamless connectivity from areas along the Bypass to Howrah," a senior railway official said.

The stations will have two levels each - the concourse and the platform area above it. The concourses will be more than six metres above the ground while the platforms are to have double that elevation.

Officials said escalators and elevators were being planned at both stations along with a walkalator connecting them to the foot overbridge. "Passengers needing to shift from one line to another won't cross the road, they will use the foot overbridge," the official said.

The proposed features of the passenger interface will be discussed soon at a meeting between the implementing agencies for the East-West and New Garia-Airport links.

In the first phase, the New Garia-Airport Metro will link New Garia with Ruby station. "In the second phase, we are planning to run trains till Sector V, which will then become the terminal station," said an official of the Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd (RVNL), the implementing agency for the project.

The Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation is building the East-West link.

Land-acquisition challenges at Mahisbathan in Salt Lake have forced the railways to divide the New Garia-Airport project into three phases. There are seven buildings in the way of the Metro route at Mahisbathan. The state government has agreed to demolish the buildings based on an understanding that the railways will pay compensation. But this process has delayed the third phase of the project and also affected the construction of the Sector V station, officials said.

"The pile foundation for the station has been completed. We weren't sure whether the route alignment would change, so we had initially left out the task of shifting underground utilities from the scope of work. But that part of the job is now almost complete and the station is likely to be ready in one-and-a-half years," said an official of RVNL.

The East-West Metro station in Sector V is also almost ready. This corridor will connect Sector V with Howrah Maidan, the route including underground and overground stretches as well as a section under the Hooghly.

The first phase of the East-West Metro is scheduled to become operational in June. The plan is to run trains between Sector V and the Stadium station until Sealdah is ready.

Railway officials said they were expecting a footfall of more than three lakh daily at the twin Sector V stations by 2035.

Studies conducted by the two service providers show that the New Garia-Airport station will handle more than a lakh passengers every day while the East-West station will have nearly double that footfall on an average.

The actual numbers could be even higher than the projected figures, officials said.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/calcu...tations-201668
This would be a very busy metro hub.

soumalya747 liked this post
amittabha1968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #17382
amittabha1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbank View Post
Of course Mumbai and Bangalore are planning the airport links. Chennai has also started. And DMRC's Airport Express is not at all expensive... atleast for air passengers and Delhiites. Rs. 75 sounds (peak hour rate) expensive to you while a cab travel may cost Rs. 300 or more. It ensures comfort, quick transport and enough space for large bags- you have porter services at the airport metro too to help to carry your luggage for a small fee. Plus Airport Express also ensures quick check in from the station itself.

Plus comfort and luxury means money and not charity and India's metro fares happens to be the cheapest across the globe.
Kolkata may be one of the cheapest, not other cities.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #17383
HisDankness

Likes (Received): 8

More the number of lines with interchange stations, more the number of passengers right?

With all the new lines and line1 going upto the airport, there will be even more passengers in line 1. Its capacity is almost saturated these days. Will it be able to cope with the increasing passenger influx?
I don't see the railways planning to upgrade the signalling systems in line 1 for better frequency...

Can the metro experts shed some light on this? Is it possible for line 1 to have a 2.5 min frequency in the near future or even a 90 sec frequency after 10 years or so?
HisDankness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #17384
amittabha1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDankness View Post
More the number of lines with interchange stations, more the number of passengers right?

With all the new lines and line1 going upto the airport, there will be even more passengers in line 1. Its capacity is almost saturated these days. Will it be able to cope with the increasing passenger influx?
I don't see the railways planning to upgrade the signalling systems in line 1 for better frequency...

Can the metro experts shed some light on this? Is it possible for line 1 to have a 2.5 min frequency in the near future or even a 90 sec frequency after 10 years or so?
Line 1 won't go to airport, line 4 and 6 and maybe line 2.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #17385
chayan04

Likes (Received): 162

First of all, in most of the countries there is no difference in normal trains and metro. And most of the airports are connected with railway network with airport express trains providing fast non stop airport connectivity with luggage handle facility. Now in India things are different. There is no express trains or cross line express trains in metro network in a city. How many numbers of business travelers travel to/fro CCU? most of the international flights are at midnight. I dont think it is a good option to have all metro lines goes to airport, instead it should be in CBD. for example, in tokyo, Tokyo stn itself , shibuya and shinjuku is the major junction interchange which is in central CBD and core office areas. Only there are two lines goes to NRT or HND airport. wow....I am in love with Narita Express....

RONGHOSH77, Ashis Mitra liked this post
chayan04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #17386
Adri Roy Chowdhury

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbank View Post
Of course Mumbai and Bangalore are planning the airport links. Chennai has also started. And DMRC's Airport Express is not at all expensive... atleast for air passengers and Delhiites. Rs. 75 sounds (peak hour rate) expensive to you while a cab travel may cost Rs. 300 or more. It ensures comfort, quick transport and enough space for large bags- you have porter services at the airport metro too to help to carry your luggage for a small fee. Plus Airport Express also ensures quick check in from the station itself.

Plus comfort and luxury means money and not charity and India's metro fares happens to be the cheapest across the globe.
DAME Fare Rs. 75 ????

As far as I remember , it cost me Rs. 250 when I 1st rode it from Airport to New Delhi . I maybe wrong since the tickets were bought by my father that time .... and I was too small �� . I am talking about the time when the line was just inaugurated and was under a PPP model . Please clarify my comment .
Adri Roy Chowdhury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #17387
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by amittabha1968 View Post
Mumbai and Delhi have huge airports with staff and travellers . Do they have any metro link or are planning one. Delhi has one but it is expensive link. What about Bangalore/Hyderabad.
Every City is planning

Navi Mumbai - http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...ridor-4785537/

Mumbai - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62481241.cms
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...yandar-2573698

Bengaluru - http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...e-1749434.html

Hyderabad - https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...tro-lines.html

I believe Chennai already has one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...metro_stations

Let me know if you need info of any other cities
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #17388
Bombay2Calcutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri Roy Chowdhury View Post
DAME Fare Rs. 75 ????

As far as I remember , it cost me Rs. 250 when I 1st rode it from Airport to New Delhi . I maybe wrong since the tickets were bought by my father that time .... and I was too small �� . I am talking about the time when the line was just inaugurated and was under a PPP model . Please clarify my comment .
DAME has changed the fare structure after Reliance exited the project. They brought down the fares to attract more commuters.

ayan92 liked this post
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #17389
Adri Roy Chowdhury

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
DAME has changed the fare structure after Reliance exited the project. They brought down the fares to attract more commuters.
Okay ! Then I was right !
Adri Roy Chowdhury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #17390
ayan92
Inspired By Myself...

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
EAST-WEST METRO
Residents evacuate Dalhousie unsafe building, shift to hotel

Not knowing how their family would cope with an unknown lifestyle, Md Haider Ali, Parmatma Rawat and Dipak Singh have shifted them out of the city. While Ali has sent his wife and children to his brother’s place in Howrah, contract labourer Rawat has sent his family to Ballia in Uttar Pradesh. Singh’s family is living at his “gaon” in Bihar’s Chhapra. “My wife was scared to move to a hotel; she prefers her own mud-house in Bihar,” he said.

At the hotel, security guard Rajesh Ram was anxious to know if he would get his dinner by 7pm, before leaving for night shift. He felt relieved when the hotel staff cordially assured him.
Why do I feel (word of caution: only due to news reports like these) that the greatest impediments to developing any infrastructure in and around Kolkata are the Mia-bhais and the bauajis from UP, Bihar, who get harder to crack every other day? Pata nahi kahaan se mooh uthake aa jaate hain sab; and these very people have their asses thrown away at ease (without any question) whenever they happen to lie on the paths of infrastructure projects across Delhi, Mumbai and other cities, but unki jitni chalti hai toh bas sab Kol/Bengal me? They're being provided luxury hotels (by KMRC - at the expense of taxpayers), and yet they are reluctant... Sir pe kya bitha liya, yeh log toh kaan me mootne lag gaye?

RONGHOSH77, NiladriG liked this post
ayan92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #17391
Bombay2Calcutta

Building parts collapse before E-W boring
[email protected]

Kolkata: Portions of one of the seven buildings identified by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) as unsafe, collapsed on Wednesday, even before the tunnel-boring machine (TBM) could come near it.

Hawkers from the area, who have also been occupying some of these unsafe buildings, first noticed a part of the entrance of 4 Old Court House Street, collapsing around 11am. Later, they heard parts of the wall crumbling as KMRC workers blocked its entrance on the Waterloo Street side.

Among those who rushed to the spot was Baidyanath Das of J Sur & Company that has closed shop at 10 Old Court House Street till Friday, as per KMRC’s instructions. “We have been writing to KMC for the past 10 years to save these crumbling structures. Now see what’s happened,” he said.

The incident heightened the challenge that these crumbling structures have posed for the ambitious under-river metro link that has bored 520m across the Hooghlyto reach the Dalhousie area.

TBM Prerna is digging the Howrah-bound tunnel between Howrah Maidan and Esplanade, which is part of the metro link to Salt Lake’s Sector 5.

Engineers of KMRC and Afcons-Transtonnelstroy — the construction company building the twin East-West metro tunnels — went into a huddle soon after what the hawkers in the area called “routine collapses”. A traffic guard posted near 10 Old Court House Street also said, “Portions of these buildings keep falling apart.”

Kolkata Municipal Corporation KMC engineers were clueless about Wednesday’s collapse. A senior building department official said, “There is no need to worry about these structures anymore. KMRC and Afcons will handle the situation. They have high-tech instruments to strengthen the buildings. They are recording every crack on the structures throughout the TBM’s progress.”

KMC had inspected the buildings in the last week of December and slapped “beware” and “dangerous” notices on January 2 after being repeatedly approached by KMRC and Afcons.

Officials said they had stopped short of pasting the similar notices on this particular building because “it is already vacant”. An official looking after buildings in Ward 46 (BBD Bag-Dalhousie area) explained, “The notices were put up to alert the public, so that people would be careful while walking by these buildings.”

Ronen Hazra, an insurance worker from Dalhousie, asked a pertinent question: “Is the onus on pedestrians. Isn’t the KMC or the government supposed to protect the public from such collapses?”

On Wednesday, Prerna drilled along 010 and 9 Old Court House Street. It is supposed to reach 4 Old Court House Street in four days.

Old Today, 07:06 AM   #17392
NiladriG
Shonar Bangla

Likes (Received): 1841

Its better these ugly buildings collapse, owners and tenants don't care about their upkeep. Only when the buildings collapse they will move their a$$.
NiladriG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #17393
amittabha1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayan04 View Post
First of all, in most of the countries there is no difference in normal trains and metro. And most of the airports are connected with railway network with airport express trains providing fast non stop airport connectivity with luggage handle facility. Now in India things are different. There is no express trains or cross line express trains in metro network in a city. How many numbers of business travelers travel to/fro CCU? most of the international flights are at midnight. I dont think it is a good option to have all metro lines goes to airport, instead it should be in CBD. for example, in tokyo, Tokyo stn itself , shibuya and shinjuku is the major junction interchange which is in central CBD and core office areas. Only there are two lines goes to NRT or HND airport. wow....I am in love with Narita Express....
I agree . Line 4 and 6 are sufficient for airport hub.
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #17394
amittabha1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiladriG View Post
Its better these ugly buildings collapse, owners and tenants don't care about their upkeep. Only when the buildings collapse they will move their a$$.
They look like ghost buildings. Has spoiled the look of cbd.
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #17395
amittabha1968

Great but are the cities planning metro hub near airports.
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #17396
Prithviraj Nag

Likes (Received): 301

Has Prerana resumed tunneling from Mahakaran towards Esplanade?
Prithviraj Nag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #17397
NiladriG
Shonar Bangla

Likes (Received): 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithviraj Nag View Post
Has Prerana resumed tunneling from Mahakaran towards Esplanade?
Yes since last week.
NiladriG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcutta, kolkata, metro, west bengal