SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#12,124 ·
Blimey, who pissed in your sink today?!

I think poshbakerloo is actually referring to the fact that he's not been on this forum for such a long time and that there was a very long wait for it to get above street level that it has now done. :)

#12,125 ·
Blimey, who pissed in your sink today?!

I think poshbakerloo is actually referring to the fact that he's not been on this forum for such a long time and that there was a very long wait for it to get above street level that it has now done. :)
Too bad it mimics the moronic posts that have come before his. with a post count that large, let's hope he is being facetious!

#12,126 ·
A few new insights into the arbitration dispute. Larry's seeking his $2.75 billion back. We should know the winner by the end of the year.

Silverstein breaks the silence in W.T.C. dispute

By Julie Shapiro

World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein.

Developer Larry Silverstein sometimes thinks about leaving the quagmire of the World Trade Center site behind and casting off on his yacht, but he said he’s afraid that without him, the site will never get rebuilt.

“Without a push from the private sector to move this damn thing forward, it wouldn’t happen,” Silverstein said Wednesday at the RealShare New York real estate conference in Midtown.

http://downtownexpress.com/de_340/silversteinbreaks.html

#12,128 ·
Since when is hogging all the money a "push"?
I agree 100 percent. “Without a push from the private sector to move this damn thing forward, it wouldn’t happen,” Silverstein says, but look at the site: The public sector development has far exceeded the private sector development: 1WTC's a couple hundred feet above ground level, the memorial plaza is built, and construction on the transit hub will begin in earnest shortly. Silverstein's gotten 1 of his three buildings on the site close to ground level. Silverstein's argument that the delays in infrastructure construction have prevented him from building the rest of his towers is undermined by his statement that construction will be complete by 2016 if he wrests $2.7 billion from the PA (and therefore the taxpayers of NY and NJ)'s pockets: he didn't anticipate the real estate bubble bursting, he didn't anticipate the credit markets freezing in the face of the worst recession since the Great Depression, and now he wants the PA to pay for his miscalculations.

I want to see a fully developed site as much as the next guy, but the port area will suffer if the PA has to devote its resources to speculative office space instead of badly needed public works projects.

#12,131 ·
The PA doesn't deserve the $2.75 billion. Silverstein has been paying rent on land that he hasn't been able to lease. The government has been collecting free money. They should give it back to Silverstein. 1WTC is paid for, it won't suffer. Neither will the memorial.

If there's a casualty it may be Calatrava's Hub. But I doubt it, the PA would just siphon the money from another project to pay for it.

#12,132 ·
The PA doesn't deserve the $2.75 billion. Silverstein has been paying rent on land that he hasn't been able to lease.
And Silverstein agreed to pay it.
The government has been collecting free money. They should give it back to Silverstein.
Hardly free, they had to clear out and level the sites for 2WTC, 3WTC and 4WTC. Now that Silverstein has gotten the work he wanted done, he wants the money to pay for it back. Seems hypocritical to me. After all, the PA already paid Silverstein Properties the penalties for the delays in turning over the sites for 2WTC & 3WTC. Silverstein has already got everything he was due.
1WTC is paid for, it won't suffer. Neither will the memorial.

If there's a casualty it may be Calatrava's Hub. But I doubt it, the PA would just siphon the money from another project to pay for it.
No, the World Trade Center site won't suffer. But projects that far more of the region's inhabitants would benefit from will:
Maintenance on bridges, tunnels, ports, terminals and airports under the Authority's control will have to be deferred. Modernization of La Guardia, essential for it to continue operating safely, would stall. Efforts relieve airspace congestion by expanding Stewart Airport into a fourth major regional airport would fall by the wayside. Plans to raise the clearance of the Bayonne Bridge so that newer ships could make it into the harbor would collapse. A bus garage for the midtown bus terminal would not be built.

PA executive director Chris Ward put it succinctly: "Silverstein Properties (SPI) has now rejected four offers that put on the table significant amounts of public investment to move their private office towers forward. All that was asked in return was for Mr. Silverstein to take on the same risk he was asking of the public and he could not even agree to do that. It is clear SPI will accept nothing less than two fully subsidized office buildings and that is irresponsible and unacceptable. This arbitration process cannot distract from that fundamental point - that SPI would rather have public dollars at risk in place of its own private investment." In other words, Silverstein wants to have his cake and eat it, too: socialize the risk, and privatize the profits right into his pockets.

2WTC and 3WTC would look great on the skyline. But for the vast majority of people, that's the only benefit they'd have have. The other projects that would be jeopardized by the payout sought would have a far more wide-reaching benefit.

#12,138 ·
I don't think yet...it's hard to see on the webcams.
They put into place the one perimeter column in the SW corner (I was watching it earlier and the hi-res webcam had one shot with the crane lifting it high up, so it was clearly visible), but I'm pretty sure they didn't put up the one last perimeter column (the one to the north) or the horizontal beam between the two.