SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PANAMA CITY | Planetarium Towers | 343m | 1125ft | 92 fl | 305m | 1001ft | 82 fl | On Hold‎

39K views 126 replies 79 participants last post by  Jim856796 
#1 ·

TORRE PLANETARIUM
Panama City, Panama (Latin America)

Proyecto: Two Residential Skyscraper Buildings

TOWER I

Height: 92 floors, 343 mts.

TOWER II

Height: 82 floors, 305 mts.

Developer: Espacios Panamá, S.A.

Architectural Design by: Mallol & Mallol Arq. S.A.

Structural Design by: SAI

Construction Started: 2008

Deliver: 2011

Structural Design of Planetarium Towers

Wind Studies

By: Alan G. Davenport Wind Engineering Group (at the University of Western Ontario).

A Complex Structural Design

- The Planetarium will be Panama’s newest addition to its developing skyline. Standing 92 and 82 stories, this spectacular two-tower project adds not only height to the existing skyline, but character.

- From the small aspect ratio (17:1 for a single tower) of the building to the unique five tower-to-tower connections along the height of the building, the Planetarium demonstrates its ease of standing tall.

- A great deal of planning has gone into the course of design and coordination with the architect. Structurally, SAI has worked extensively with the Alan G. Davenport Wind Engineering Group at The University of Western Ontario to develop the most effective design for both perception of motion due to wind and the building’s resistance to wind loading. These efforts will continue throughout the design phase.

- Poor soil quality requires both innovative foundation solutions and seismic structural considerations. SAI has examined multiple framing layouts to take advantage of framing repetition which is critical for the fabrication, shop drawing, and erection processes to be efficient and cost effective.

- Unique design elements, such as the cruciform columns, double flatwise wide-flange bracing and braced frame connections exemplify SAI’s contribution. This project has also aided the development of the modeling software used. With SAI’s need, RAM Structural System has generated both an “out of core solution engine” to deal with the large number of elements modeled and the ability of to model multiple diaphragms at the same level.

- Lateral Load Resisting System: Five two-story trusses connecting the two towers combined with belt trusses and outriggers tying back to interior shear walls that ascend the full height of the structure provide resistance to lateral loads. The primary cladding will be a glass curtain wall system with the remaining consisting of Alucobond type fascia. The residential floor plate for a single tower will be generally rectangular 20m in the short direction and 34m in the long direction.

- SAI’s worldwide experience and Hopsa’s Panamanian experience has proven to be a benefit for both parties. The resulting project will have approximately 123 condominiums with a number of amenities including a panoramic view of the bay of Panama, a 300 occupancy great hall, social areas complete with pools and putting green and an adjacent 9 story parking garage for residents and guests. Two basement levels within the towers footprint will service the adjacent parking garage.

See less See more
#105 ·
You surely have better projects in your country, because I don't think "Los Faros de Panama" or Trump Ocean Club" (just to give you an example) are any way near to be bad projects, instead they are one of the biggest, taller, modern and more ambicious projects in Latin America, so please show me what you have in your city and maybe I'll change my opinion.

#108 ·
lol this has nothing to do with cities or countries, please... but you get it, i dont like trumps ocean club or los faros. but if you like it, its all right, you live in panama.
if you wanna know, in switzerland there are almost no highrises. and yes, i wish there were more ;-) but ones i like.

#111 ·
Well I know some day there will be more, maybe you have height regulations in your country?, but if they get to build at least one supertall in Switzerland I hope you like it, because if you don't, that will be awful having to stare at the biggest building in the city and hate it. Lucky for me I love this towers, and also love Trump and Los Faros.

#112 ·
They've changed the colors on this thing a couple of times, but not the overall structure I'm happy to see. Great modern design.

As the real estate market started to cool off in 2007, and Ice Tower and Bahia de la Pacifica got cancelled almost back to back, it didn't look good. But Panama City's market is still going strong, no doubt about it. Amazing resilience.

#127 ·
The planetarium Towers are already going to be the narrowest supertall skyscrapers anywhere in the world. If the tower's construction stopped or is on hold for any reason, the project should be cancelled and a single-towered project can be put in its site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.