daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties » Development News

Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #1
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 4

Miami & Cuban food

Hi folks,

I am going to Miami this Friday for the Royal Carribean Cruise trip, which will depart next Monday. Besides South Beach & Seaquarium, any other attractions that I should not miss during my 3 day weekend there? I also plan to try out some local Cuban cuisines as well as other Latin flavors ...Any suggestion/recommendation is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM   #2
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 4859

Obviously, there's a ton of options regarding Cuban food (from great to godawful) but one place I'd definitely recommend as outstanding is Islas Canarias on NW 27th Avenue.

Mind you, it's nothing fancy and it's location is nothing to write home about, but it's the real deal and has been great for years. I still try to get there on trips back.

One side note on the Seaquarium. If you've been to any of the modern parks like Sea World, you'll find the Seaquarium pretty underwhelming. And as a bit of an activist, I'd be remiss not to mention that they've been under a lot of heat in recent years for inhumane conditions as pertains to their captive whale. In good conscience, I can't recommend people spend money there anymore.

Regardless of that, hope you have a terrific time down there!
spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:32 AM   #3
southfloridamiamian

Likes (Received): 99

Well a very popular cuban place is LA Carreta. Most of the locals including most of the non cubans seem to like it. I'ts a family restaurant. Not more expensive than chillies or friday. I like it. I recommend. While you're here you should try some nicaraguan food it's really good. Most seem to like it. lol I like it...
southfloridamiamian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Paul305

Likes (Received): 611

What he said. And you should probably miss the seaquarium. Seriously, just don't go. If you're into architecture or skyscrapers, I would recommend taking the metro-mover around downtown for some sight-seeing. It is completely free and there are stops all over downtown. You could also see the Cape Florida Lighthouse in Bill Baggs State Park or go on one of the many boat tours offered at Bayside Marketplace.
Paul305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM   #5
thetallerthebetter
Biscayne Corridor Realtor

Likes (Received): 107

miami restaurants

Las Culebrinas on 47th ave and Flagler is way WAY better than those other two mentioned. While those two are more popular I promise you the food here is like 10 times better

skip the sequarium it's a tourist trap and not even that good
thetallerthebetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM   #6
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Paul, you took the words outta my mouth. I was going to add Cape Florida as a spot that most tourists probably never get to but definitely worth the trip for its beauty and history (oldest structure in Dade)...plus the drive out is gorgeous.

Assuming the poster will have a rental car, I'd also say to explore the region a little. The Gables, Las Olas, even a trip to the Upper Keys. All are pretty easy drives.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #7
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetallerthebetter View Post
Las Culebrinas on 47th ave and Flagler is way WAY better than those other two mentioned. While those two are more popular I promise you the food here is like 10 times better

skip the sequarium it's a tourist trap and not even that good
I'll have to check it out next trip back. Islas Canarias is a long-time fave but I'm not married to the joint.

I guess the consensus is the Seaquarium pretty much sucks. I've got fond childhood memories of the place but the conditions they keep "Lolita" in are tragic and inhumane. In fact, it's illegal under current federal law but the poor creature is pretty much stuck there until she dies. They won't be allowed to get another, thankfully.

Anyway, back to food for a second. Any fans of Mexican should check out Paquito's at Biscayne and 163rd. SOOOO good...and they even stayed in business after their best customer left town!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
intresant

Likes (Received): 66

I like a cuban restaurant in sunset called "Casa Larios". Order the "tostadas with carne molida" for appetizers, you won't regret it! Plus the place is relatively close to downtown, like 15min drive without traffic down US1. Fridays I think they have live music at night which adds to the experience...

Here it is on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...1786&z=12&om=1
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Daybreaq

Likes (Received): 1

How do you guys feel about suggesting Parrot Jungle Island as an alternative to the Seaquarium? I know some people hate *all* zoos; and probably for valid reasons; but the animals there *seemed* well cared for at least. Plus, it's just on a really beautiful piece of land ... terrific views! A bit pricey; but I like it.
Daybreaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM   #10
Daybreaq

Oh , how could I forget ... Viscaya!
No captive animal issues there!
Daybreaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM   #11
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreaq View Post
How do you guys feel about suggesting Parrot Jungle Island as an alternative to the Seaquarium? I know some people hate *all* zoos; and probably for valid reasons; but the animals there *seemed* well cared for at least. Plus, it's just on a really beautiful piece of land ... terrific views! A bit pricey; but I like it.
Good suggestion!

I've never been to the new location but have no reason to think the birds aren't well cared-for and they're in a climate that is reasonably close to their native habitat. It's spacious as well.

I definitely don't "hate" all zoos or animal exhibits as they can certainly be educational venues (especially for kids) but it's a case-by-case type of thing. The older facilities (such as Seaquarium) were built with all the emphasis on animals as amusement with very little regard for their comfort and safety. "Lolita," for instance, lives in a heartbreakingly confined tank for such an immense, intelligent creature but the thinking was very different 30 years ago when these type of exhibits first began appearing.

Frankly, I'd like to see the Seaquarium either reconfigured into a modern marine facility without performing mammals or simply go out of business. In it's current state, I think it's increasingly a civic embarrassment and something Miami should not be proud to be associated with anymore even if the people that work there have the best intentions.

Hey, to see gorgeous marine life why not rent a snorkel and head down to John Pennekamp? That's the REAL South Florida...not a tormented whale that belongs off the Alaskan coast.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #12
brickell

Likes (Received): 735

The Barnacle (Miami's oldest house) combined with lunch in the grove - Green Street makes for a nice afternoon out too. If you have a car, take the drive down Old Cutler to Fairchild Gardens. Lots of captive plants there, but I don't think they mind. Chihuly is there till the end of May. So you'll be in the knick of time. Even without the glass art, Fairchild is an amazing place.
brickell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #13
dave8721

Likes (Received): 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreaq View Post
Or how about Metrozoo? If your talking about local zoo's its hard not to mention one of the counties biggest zoos right here in our back yard.
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM   #14
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 817

There's a second Islas Canarias located on 8 St. at 107 Ave. I've never eaten at the one on 27 Ave., but the meals I've had at the other location are some of the best Cuban dishes I've had in Miami.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Versailles on 8 St., right in Little Havana. It's probably the most notorious Cuban restaurant/bakery in the city. It's nothing fancy, but everything about it screams Cuba.

I'd also have to echo the suggestion that if you get the chance, try to explore the Upper Keys. In my opinion, the seafood trumps most of what you'll find in Miami, and the area is such a nice contrast to the city, it's definitely worth it.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #15
kevinkagy

Likes (Received): 986

Coral Mansion, a trip around downtown and Brickell on the metromover, Parrot Jungle Island, South Beach to walk around, shop, eat or go to the beaches, Vizcaya, Coral Gables, the Performing Arts Center, Bayside, some museums like the Wolfsonian-FIU in South Beach. There's a bunch of stuff to do around Miami, I'm sure you'll find your stay here very enjoyable, have fun!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM   #16
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks a bunch everyone. You guys already did me a big favor

Just one last thing...how about some great places for Seafood and a night out? I've already collected some info online but I'll take your words based on the recommendation.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #17
coruna
BANNED

For seafood, try the Oceanaire (Brickell area), Joe's Stone Crabs (South Beach - they do have more than just stone crabs), or the Miami River Oyster Bar (Riverwalk/northern brickell).

Also, I highly recommend taking a tour around town in the metromover. You will be able to see almost all of the city center while seeing all the new skyscrapers. I don't think you should waste your time at the Seaquarium, all those other attractions mentioned earlier in this thread are better, it's out of date and they mistreat animals. In a few years, we'll have a real aquarium in downtown when "Museum Park" is completed.
coruna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #18
magic-city

Likes (Received): 23

A Must! Visit Little Havana this Friday May 25 - 6:00 - 11:00 PM

El Exquisito Restaurant (305-643-0227), 1510 S.W. 8th St. is next to the Historic Tower Theatre. Food is home-style Cuban and the prices are very reasonable.

On the LAST FRIDAY evening of every month, join the Little Havana community of Miami, Florida for our monthly celebration of this historic area's arts, culture, history and unique merchants. The festival takes place from 6 - 11 p.m. on Calle Ocho (SW 8th St.), between 14th and 17th Avenues.

ARTISTS & ARTISANS create an outdoor art gallery, selling original paintings, ceramics, woodwork, jewelry and more. LOOK FOR THE TWIN BROTHERS CURRAS FOR THEIR UNUSUAL & EROTIC CERAMIC PIECES! THE ARE USUALLY NEXT TO THE McDonald's which has a Little Havana flair

LIVE MUSIC & DANCE PERFORMANCES take place on our main stage at 15th Avenue. Dance to salsa under the stars! Plus: street performers and musicians, and outdoor dancing at local restaurants! IMPROPTU DANCING AND GREAT PEOPLE WATCHING --NEXT TO DOMINO PARK!

FREE WALKING TOUR: Take a free tour of Little Havana starting at 6:30 p.m. in front of the Tower Theater (15th Ave. and SW 8th St.). WALK OVER TO 13th AVE and look for the incredible Ceiba Tree with unbelievable exposed roots. IT"S MY FAVORITE TREE IN MIAMI. It is just south of the bay of Pigs Memorial. You may find a couple of religious articles around the tree as it is used by many of the SANTERIA (AFRO-CUBAN RELIGION) Priest in their rituals.

ART GALLERIES: Explore our numerous (14+) art galleries and art studios, and meet the artists! Chicago had the Cows -- Little Havana had the Roosters - Look for Giant Colorful Rooster in front of many of the galleries!

HISTORIC LANDMARKS: Visit the historic Tower Theater and Latin Quarter Cultural Center, the Cuban Memorial Plaza, Domino Park and other landmarks.

UNIQUE STORES: Buy hand-rolled cigars, guayabera (traditional Cuban) shirts, dominos and much more. DON'T MISS-- LITTLE HAVANA TO-GO Souvenir Store.

FOOD: Taste tropical ice cream or Cuban coffee, or enjoy dinner at one of our restaurants -- many with outdoor seating. TRY a GUARAPO Drink - Pure Sugar Cane Juice squeezed from the cane in a very interesting apparatus at the Fruit & Juice bar next to the Bay of Pigs Memorial.

There's always something to do at the family-friendly celebration of Viernes Culturales -- CULTURAL FRIDAYS
magic-city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #19
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

What about coconut grove...lots of good restaurants there. Lol its not cuban nor 'classy' but a cool a experience is to go to Johny Rockets in coconut grove near the sonesta hotel and just sit outside(kind of like a cafe) and just watch people walk by its quite beautiful really .
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #20
thetallerthebetter
Biscayne Corridor Realtor

Likes (Received): 107

guarapo tastes of nostalgia

They still sell guarapo huh, unless he wants instant diabetes he should probably skip it. It's just not that tasty unless you like drinking straight syrup.

I have never EVER seen anyone order one. Ironically I never heard of this "cuban delight" until I got to Miami. Growing up in Cuba I never saw one single guayabera or ever heard of guarapo. These things are uniquely miamian and are only Cuban in past tense as in like pre 60's.

I think it's interesting that while many Miami cubans romantisize their old cuban culture by bringring back 30's fashions like the guayabera. Habaneras sell their bodies to gain access to tourist stores just so they can feel just a little bit American.
thetallerthebetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote