daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 515

INTRODUCE Yourself - How did YOU find, and get started, on Skyscraper City?

How did YOU get started on Skyscraper City?

Just out of interest!

I remember (on the Downing Thread) Chris told us how and why he found this site . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
yeah that's the one, an Ian Simpson design:

from skyscrapernews:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I fell in love with that building, infact researching that building lead me to skyscrapernews, which led me to SSC, so I owe my SSC life to that building.

ME . . . I was looking for information on IMPERIAL QUAY (one of our 'favourite' Gap Sites, now featured on the GAP SITES thread) and back in 2006 "Skyscraper City" is what appeared in the search engine, and I have been here ever since!!

So, what about Y O U ??
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 20

Gatehead Quays Phase 2 was what led me here! I remember that a former place of employment, Fairhursts Design Group had done one of the shortlisted entries. They didn't win, and nothing happened there anyway!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 97

Another member on the board who I know in person pointed out that people were commented on a building I'd had a large hand in designing... I stuck around ever since.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 51

I got chatting to this guy at T&W Archives and it came up in conversation.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
How did YOU get started on Skyscraper City?

Just out of interest!

So, what about Y O U ??
I bumped into Widcat45 on Northumberland Street as he was coming out of Greggs, a stottie sandwich in each of his hands - he told me about the site and to be honest I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it before

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #6
GBDT

Likes (Received): 99

This site got a mention on the Photos of Newcastle's West End Facebook site. I popped in to have a look and thought that it was s good source of info. Watched it for a bit before I stepped in and did my first post! Now here practically every day

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Kremin
Local Photographer

Likes (Received): 1

I was looking up some information on the Ouseburn gateway, found it and mentioned the site to a southerner several months later I was discussing some buildings with said southerner and he pointed something out on here and mentioned that he had joined the forum so i did too
Kremin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #8
growly grace

Likes (Received): 60

I was trying to find a photograph I had seen of some shocking housing in the Ouseburn and I stumbled in to the site.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 14th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
I bumped into Widcat45 on Northumberland Street as he was coming out of Greggs, a stottie sandwich in each of his hands - he told me about the site and to be honest I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it before
So was I. I assumed you invented it on Tyneside and it spread to the rest of the world!

I came across it when looking up what was happening to the Central Bar in Gateshead. Spent most of the Christmas holidays on it taking everything in.

Dan.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

I was actually 'Googling' for some work I was involved with on a development in Liverpool when i found SSC. When I landed on the Liverpool forum I, out of curiosity and boredom (must've been a slow work day!), wondered if they had the same for Newcastle.....

EDIT: There wasnt, but there was a single Newcastle thread encompassing ALL projects and discussion...those were the days!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #11
hollow man

Likes (Received): 5

Cant remember exactly what brought me to this site in the first place as it has been such a long time since I joined up but I guess it was just a love of exploring urban areas and the buildings within them.
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Just re-discovered this thread!

So, c'mon all you new members, tell us your stories?

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #13
kieron79

Likes (Received): 0

Stumbled across website by accident years back and remember some interesting concept designs for various developments, remember when everything was on one thread,kept close eye ever since but mainly browse rather than post
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Stumbled across website by accident years back and remember some interesting concept designs for various developments, remember when everything was on one thread, kept close eye ever since but mainly browse rather than post

Yes, a lot of people do, as there is so much interesting info on here now. In fact I was talking about a similar thing with Adrian Small, on the "Admin Thread", only the other day . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; 24th October 2011
Adrian,

The 'view numbers' figures are important, as they accurately reflect the popularity (or otherwise) of the forum (subject to the unique exceptions mentioned in point (3) above) more so than 'posts numbers', as at any given time about 95% of forum members are 'viewing' rather than posting.

Many forum members (and 'guests') never post at all, they only read (view) the forum. I remember one evening last year, a post on the Historic Newcastle thread (it was about a 1930s look around the old Evening Chronicle offices) caused the 'view figure' of the thread to increase, within 23 hours, by over 1,200 (a very large figure and way above average even for that thread) . . . but NONE of those 1,200 actually 'posted' a reply!
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #15
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

I originally posted on the old World Scrapers forum where there was just one page for the whole world, I guess around 2000 after I got a skyscraper book at an airport. Then when Euroscrapers was set on went on that and finally when UK Skyscrapercity was formed became a mod for the UK pages. Stopped being a mod when I went to uni in 2002 and since then have had periods where I've used the site everyday and others where I haven't been able to look at it for months as been too busy but nice to have a good catch-up then.

Remember the battle for ages to get a Newcastle page with the powers that be saying there wasn't enough development in Newcastle to make it a success but it's been far more than that, one of the busiest city pages on here now and definitely one of the most interesting thanks to the efforts of the people who post here, particularly NH who's contribution to this website is invaluable.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #16
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 82

read IBEH's post about the TSB building on grainger street collapsing in 2002. read it for a few months and signed up shortly after. though i am sure i can remember reading the forum on and off for a while before that.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 194

Thought I'd give you a brief history of SSC:

I first started posting as 'xapbpoh' on the old 'Euroscrapers' forum in 2002 (with IBEH, AKA Gosforth Dan), which after a lot of German/British rivalry split into separate forums. In addition, there was the 'world skyscrapers' forum, along with Dutch and Oz forums. You needed to register separately with each forum to post in it.

In the summer of 2002, Jan (SSC admin) started discussing the idea of having one big forum with separate areas for each country. In august, a few regular posters, including myself were invited to test out the new forum before it went live and create a few threads. I created two - a Newcastle project list and a Leeds project list. These were the first threads on the UK section of SSC and among the very first on the entire forum. Despite this claim to fame, the site unfortunately was hacked at some point and many threads were indiscriminately deleted, including the Newcastle update thread.

To be honest I was sceptical about the North-east subforum at first, but it's been a great success, thanks in no small part to Historian, but also because we've somehow avoided the trolling problems that have plagued other sub-forums.

It's incredible that in September next year, SSC will have existed for 10 years. During that time I have changed career twice, emigrated and returned to Britain twice (and nearly emigrated again) and moved to and away from the North east a whopping 11 times.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Yes, a lot of people do, as there is so much interesting info on here now. In fact I was talking about a similar thing with Adrian Small, on the "Admin Thread", only the other day . . .
Adrian Small??
Adrian Swall if you please!
Mrs Swall (Adrienne) is most upset!

Anyway....I was looking for info on the new Newcastle Police Station on Forth Banks.

SSC is an interesting and addictive site with a lot of different opinions!

I am greatly interested in my own city and it's development which has been mismanaged over the decades.

Let's try and hold the decision makers to account in a small or (Swall) way.

Finally, thank you to the guys who put so much work into the administration of the site.

PS Are there any 'ladies' commenting on here?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Adrian Small??
Adrian Swall if you please!
Mrs Swall (Adrienne) is most upset!

Woops . . . please accept my apologies!
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Woops . . . please accept my apologies!
Just a 'swall' mistake NH

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum fun, introduce yourself, introductions, newcastle, newcastle forum, newcastle upon tyne, skyscraper city, skyscrapercity