daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Rest of South Africa

Rest of South Africa For the provinces of Eastern Cape, Free State, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Northern Cape

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Die Kapenaar

Likes (Received): 0

Nelspruit to be renamed Mbombela

Nelspruit to be renamed Mbombela

October 16 2009 , 11:45:00

SABC News

Nelspruit in Mpumalanga will soon be renamed Mbombela, after Arts and Culture Minister Lulu Xingwana approved the name change at the recommendation of the South African Geographical Names Council. Other approved name changes include Belfast to eMakhazeni, Waterval Boven to Emgwenya and Machadodorp to eNtokozweni.

Organised business and some opposition parties opposed the renaming of Nelspruit during the consultation meetings. Xingwana says the present name changes are a restitution process. She says the name change, besides being restorative justice, also provides people with a sense of national identity.

Yesterday it was reported that the Mbombela 2010 stadium in Nelspruit had been officially completed. Construction of the R1 billion 43 000-seater stadium began two years ago. The Mbombela Stadium Joint Venture, the company contracted to build it, has handed over the structure to the local municipality.

Though the construction of the stadium is complete, some projects such as the road networks around the stadium still need to be completed. Basil Read Chief Executive Officer Marius Heyns says the funding came a little bit late but it will be fairly quick to complete the outer works, which entail parking and paving areas.
Die Kapenaar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 14

Good, Mbombela sounds much better.

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #3
willayster

awesome, another town to lose its identity - yeah ANC.
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 14

^ I see it differently.

In my opinion, this city is forming an identity that truly represents its population. Those who speak Afrikaans as their first language are less than 7% (probably lower now) of the population in the Mpumalanga province (so I assume they are also a tiny minority in this town), while Bantu speakers are in the vast majority. A loss for the tiny minority, but not for the majority.

I hope to see more of this. Hopefully the next change will be Pretoria ---> Tshwane.

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
willayster

plus its really good for the continuity of the towns tourism industry. such vision. hope they have a multi-million rand party to celebrate the much needed name change! viva
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #6
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 327

Unnecessary because of all the costs involved and the animosity this will create.I don't get the minister's justification for the name change nor will I get Afriforum's imminent retaliation.Of does the name of the area give its citizens and in the same breath,how does changing the name remove one's Afrikaans heritage,culture?Several towns have been renamed in the past and I don't think I'm more Xhosa because of that nor is there anybody that's less Afrikaans.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #7
FlyBoi
you'l nevr catch me alive

Likes (Received): 9

willayster. vive le resistance! My view on the matter is that if the actual place was named Mbombela before Europeans who migrated there "discovered it" then cool, change it back. That's justice. Renaming things that weren't there to begin with is another story. Kwame, the majority cannot claim that since they are in the majority, they can bulldoze the minority without even putting things to a vote. That's how democracy dies. We need to look after our minorities or we are no better than America just in reverse. Tourism isn't much of an issue because campaigns can be launched to make tourists aware of the change. Yes people associate names with a certain vibe that they experienced there but once they see that its still the same place, in the long run it wont matter so much that they changed the name.

re the party, I hope those fools don't waste any more money doing this than is necessary. Its depressing to see people chowing money they didn't work for when other issues are waiting. The issues that they were actually mandated to sort out.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #8
willayster

well said fly-ma-boi.

kwame might have watched one to many malcom X film.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2336

Regardless of it being a bad thing, Apartheid happened. We can't simply ignore our history. Certain tows and cities have their names as a result of white rule, and changing names only stirs up unnecessary trouble. If they revert to pre-Apartheid names then by all means go ahead. Why they can't simply name new towns and cities African names, instead, is beyond me.

But to be honest this isn't too bad a change. You get some utterly stupid name changes (like airport name changes).
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Method

completely agree with lydon. There would not be the towns and cities in South Africa there is today if it were not for white immigration and/or rule. Not saying this is a good or bad thing, just a simple fact (please no racial comments). Maybe its representing the population of nelspruit, but its not representing it's history. that would just be a complete insult to the people that actually started and helped create and make this city work. New african towns - as lydon pointed out - should be called whatever their new founders want to call it. Renaming places that have no negative connotations is ridiculous and money wasting. That money could be spent elsewhere. It's an easy way to make things look as if they're changing for the better... names are names and I'm sure the tourists could not care less.
Method no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 2275

SA has surely other problems to solve than renaming cities and streets, problems won´t decrease when a city will be called Mbombela instead of Nelspruit.

I am never in favour of renaming places even in Spain, they should have kept all their Arabic names , this was part of history, good or bad, it is history...build new cities and then give them new names but renaming old ones. No thanks.
Matthias Offodile no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #12
DennisRodman97
BANNED

i think naming a city after the natives is good but not all...this is a small cities nobody really care about...the main 3 cities in south africa are joburg, cape town and durban..nobody is renaming those.....so nelspruit wants to be renamed big deal.......indianapolis, milwaukee, oahu, honolulu are not english names...but american cities named after the natives...
DennisRodman97 no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Likes (Received): 7

One of you, said they should have much rather, put it into vote, and that it was undemocratic to just change it. Assuming it wasn't democratically voted by the masses, then who do you think would have won the elections had it been put up for public debate? Democracy favours the MASSES. This is by no means a justification of the financial costs involved in name changing(changing road signs, map's e.t.c) but it however does much better represent the larger population of nelspruit( or should i say mbombela) which ultimately is of bigger importance than finance. If we put the argument "WE HAVE LOT'S OF OTHER ISSUES TO ATTEND TO" Forward everytime something is needed to be done, then eventualy nothing will be done.
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Lydon

This isn't remotely "needed to be done."
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Oh but it is.
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #16
Lydon

I think the large portion of our country living in poverty would disagree with that.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Oh but they wouldn't, lol. Im sure they would much rather have it named mbombela than nelspruit any day(them being black and all, you know!). Sure there's cost's involved but let's be honest, its not that large a cost. So benefits far outweigh negatives. Its not not like they will make a complete overhaul, and change it all at once Lydon, i'm sure like most other name changes it will be a graduall thing, Over certain time period.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 677

What I donţt understand is why a city cannot have different names in different languages in SA. For instance, why insead renaming to Mbombela, they don't call it Nelspruit/Mbombela officialy? Anyone can choose the to say Mbombela or Nelspruit and so on. Exemples in the world: Leuven/Louvain, Bruxelles/Brussels (Belgium), Oradea/Nagyvarad (Romania) Geneve/Genf (Switzerland), Yerushalaim/Al-Quds/Jerusalem (Israel), and there are many more exemples...
Klausenburg no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #19
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Its restorative justice, my man, restorative justice.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #20
FlyBoi
you'l nevr catch me alive

Likes (Received): 9

Kwazi bra, who mentioned public debate as a means of voting? Its unfortunate that as black people who have made it a little higher up the ladder of luck, we feel we can prescribe to the "disadvantaged" lot what's good for them. Which "disadvantaged" guy in the hood ever said to you "you know Kwazi, life here is kak, there's raw sewage that's been flowing down my street for a year now and no-one has come to fix it. We run out of water and it takes them forever to turn it back on. My daughter got mugged last week and instead of just robbing her they beat her up too and the police didn't even take a statement. But despite all this, Im glad they are changing street names and names of towns and cities. It shows they are working for me."

These guys were NOT mandated to change names! It was not on any election manifesto, no-one spoke about it during electioneering. You know why? Because no-one gives a damn what a place is called until that place has basic services covered. Thats why Im saying its not needed otherwise the politicians would've realised that that's what people want. Lofty projects such as these should be undertaken when we have some sort of smooth running machines called provincial and local government that are sorting out all other, MORE IMPORTANT, issues.

Now as you read, I wrote that if the place was called something else before, then change it back post-haste if the community mandates you to do so. By the way, did any official try to find out from their constituents if they want the name changed?

I'll tell you one thing, officials wouldn't be fooling around like this if we werent all voting out of loyalty for people who arent loyal to our cause anymore.

Closed Thread