SkyscraperCity Forum banner

LUGANO, Switzerland - Photos Of Both Rich & Gritty

29K views 113 replies 36 participants last post by  Blazar 
#1 ·
As time goes by, the number of photos i've taken for this city keeps on rising and so i think it's time to start sharing them with the world, seeing as Lugano is not known much such as cities like London and Paris.

In this thread you will see both the rich parts of the city (Downtown, mountain villas, residential condo's and offices). I'll also list most "aerial" shots here as well.

I'll also be showing the non tourist areas of Lugano, which just like most cities, consists of urban blocks and areas covered in graffiti, rubbish and so on...

I'll start with a little introduction to the actual city:

Lugano is a city which has 130'000 in population (including metro area). Most people refer to it as the Monte Carlo of Switzerland, seeing as recently it has attracted many celebrities and VIPs. Many tourists also enjoy the fact that once IN Lugano, it feels like a much bigger city than what the population stats indicate, and has all the necessities of one.

Lugano is located in Ticino, south Switzerland, which is the Italian speaking region of the nation.

The city is divided into 18 districts/neighbourhoods/boroughs (whatever you want to call them). It lies around Lake Lugano, which is considered the #1 attraction of the city and the #1 place to be at night.

Enough chit chat, let's get to the pics :) If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask, if anyone has any requests such as areas not yet covered, feel free to request :lol:

The first bunch i'll post is shots taken from "high" viewpoints to get better views of the city.

These are taken from a church in Canobbio, North Lugano:

:cheers:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments :)

I've still to take photos in downtown areas because i don't often go in the centre with my camera, but i'll promise to take some soon so you guys wont have to just see the residential districts :lol:

Just some random shots of various buildings and stuff in North Lugano:

And here are the Brentani Estates, a series of blocks on one street which form a complex, some seriously f**ked up people live here and alot of bad things occur on this street. The road is called Via Brentani, just incase people want to look it up:

#12 ·
I don't have the money to spend on a camera, so you'll have to make due with the one i have now :lol:

Time for some Downtown Lugano pics (modern + historic):

A nice downhill path that leads from the Central Railway Station to the centre of the city, pity most old architecture has been ruined by graffiti :( :

Other Downtown shots:

#14 · (Edited)
Exactly, i thought people would have such an image in there head, so that's also a reason why i show alot of residential areas to show people that it's not your typical image lakeside town. Be sure to follow this thread because i have some really gritty photos stored of some poorer areas and will post them further on. :)

Also, i'll see when i have time to pop into downtown for some more office photos, i have mostly photos from North Lugano since i live there.

Some extra pics just to keep it going untill i prepare my next bunch:

#15 ·
Lugano is a city which has 130'000 in population (including metro area). Most people refer to it as the Monte Carlo of Switzerland, seeing as recently it has attracted many celebrities and VIPs. Many tourists also enjoy the fact that once IN Lugano, it feels like a much bigger city than what the population stats indicate, and has all the necessities of one.
I come from Switzerland but never heard some strange and almost overacted "facts" about Lugano.:uh::shifty:

#16 · (Edited)
Well i'm not going to be making stuff up am i. It's all on wikipedia...

Lugano (Insubric language: Lügan) is a town (56,719 inhabitants, a total of 130,000 people in the agglomeration) in the south of Switzerland, in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino, which borders Italy. The city lies on Lake Lugano and its warm summers, and the fact that in recent years it has attracted an ever growing number of celebrities, entertainers and successful athletes has given it the nickname of the "Monte Carlo of Switzerland".[1][2] It is the 9th largest city of Switzerland by population.
And the part about the tourists was mentioned on a poll...

#17 ·
^^

Ok, I got some information over the german Wikipedia page:

Seit den Eingemeindungen in den Jahren 2004 und 2008 zählt die Stadt Lugano ca. 56'000 Einwohner. Im ganzen Ballungsgebiet sind es rund 110'000 Einwohner.
And to say, that Lugano has 110`000 or 130`000 inhabitants, its like to talk about, Basel has 800`000 inhabitants or 2`000`000 with the Regio Basiliensis.
Over the rest, I have never heard, that e.g. Lugano is called the Monaco of Switzerland. From my impression this comparison is in my view a little bit strange.

Regarding tourists, I don`t have any values, but I think, in south ticino part, its quite more attractive to visit the smaller places Locarno and Ascona. Personally I prefer this two little towns quite more.

#18 ·
^^

Ok, I got some information over the german Wikipedia page:

And to say, that Lugano has 110`000 or 130`000 inhabitants, its like to talk about, Basel has 800`000 inhabitants or 2`000`000 with the Regio Basiliensis.
Over the rest, I have never heard, that e.g. Lugano is called the Monaco of Switzerland. From my impression this comparison is in my view a little bit strange.

Regarding tourists, I don`t have any values, but I think, in south ticino part, its quite more attractive to visit the smaller places Locarno and Ascona. Personally I prefer this two little towns quite more.
No offence but i take it the German wikipedia has wrong information, because the italian one states the exact same thing as the english and the french one, and is stated the same on many other tourist websites. And as for Monaco of Switzerland, i guess it could be over the top, but the fact that Lugano has attracted many VIPs and celebrities is 100% true.

And for the tourist part, well, i guess that's just everyone to their own oppinion. :)

p.s. Ill post more pics later on

#20 ·
Needed to go to Paradiso today which is in South Lugano, so i crossed briefly through downtown, and managed to get some photos with my crappy camera phone, better than nothing :)

Downtown:

Couple from Paradiso, didn't have time to shoot more:

Asked two kids who were playing BBall if i could take a few shots at them:

:cheers:

#31 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments so far guys :)

Here's my next set, nothing special though, i really need to set a day to take photos because i've got too many gritty ones and not enough rich:

Molino Nuovo, North Lugano:

Stadium shrouded in smoke during a football match:

Our local church, Cristo Risorto:

Our cities biggest and most organised cemetary:

#32 ·
Awesome sets there mate, really gives an idea of the residential districts.

I've noticed that there is alot of graffiti in many of your pics, even in downtown areas, actually, on the other pages, alot of the historic buildings were totally covered in them. Is this common throughout the city?

#33 ·
Yes, graffiti is probably one of Lugano's worst and most noticeable problem, it's even on the church as you can see :eek:hno:, there are also areas which are densley sprayed over which i haven't shown yet. Downtown has alot of graffiti too, depending where you are, the modern zone with camera's and whatnot is less sprayed than the historic zone.

#35 ·
I know Switzerland has three main languages and Italian is one of those, but for me, that have only been to the German speaking areas, it is so weird to see signs and other stuff in Italian in Switzerland.

One thing I'd like to know is: how different are the Italian and German speaking areas? I'm not talking about languages, but culture, cities, habits, lifestyle, politics, etc. That's also valid for French speaking Switzerland.

#40 ·
thanks, this is the first time i see pictures of Lugano. The setting is beautiful. Sadly, the town's periphery is ruined by the same ugly 60s and 70s building style that plagues the periphery of most italian cities.

#41 ·
This is true, though i'd definately say it gives character to the city, and you can tell you're near Italy too :lol:

you're too kind, man....:eek:hno:

very good pics, Tony :)
Thanks, i'm happy you like them :)

That's a bad looking commie block :lol: Got any pictures from inside
Why yes, i do :lol: Although i didn't have time to take good pictures, i did take just a random few shots and also of some views you could get if you don't live there by entering the block, and some shots of around it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.