daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Skyblue_Navyblue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

SOCCSKSARGEN Infrastructure and Urban Planning

General Santos City (GenSan for short; formerly called Dadiangas) is a 1st class city in the province of South Cotabato, Philippines. It is situated at the southern part of the country. It is bounded by three municipalities of Sarangani Province and two municipalities of South Cotabato, namely Alabel, Malungon, Maasim, Polomolok and T'boli. The city's economy is basically agro-industrial. As a component of the SOCCSKSARGEN growth area, it has contributed much to the area's emergence as the country's leading producer of major commodities. Due to its rich soil, good rainfall and typhoon-free climate, the area is the largest producer of corn, coconuts, copra, pineapples, asparagus and rice. The area also produces other high value crops such as exotic fruits, potatoes, vegetables, cutflowers and okra. It accounts for the largest total daily fish landings in the country. it is leading producer of sashimi grade tuna. Fish and seafoods probably do not come fresher than in the city.

History

On February 27, 1939, General Paulino Santos led the first and largest batch of settlers organized under the National Land Settlement Administration to the shores of Sarangani Bay. The 62 pioneers who mostly came from Luzon industriously tilled Cotabato's fertile expanse of land. After this first influx of pioneers, thousands more from Luzon and Visayas migrated into the area.

In January 1948, by virtue of Republic Act No. 82, Buayan District became a full fledged municipality whose territorial boundaries included the present municipalities of Sarangani and South Cotabato Provinces, namely Alabel, Glan, Malapatan, Malungon and Polomolok. NLSA Hospital Administrator Irineo I. Santiago became its first mayor.

Six years later, in June 1954, the Municipality of Buayan was renamed General Santos as a tribute to its great pioneer. This was made possible by Republic Act No. 1107 authored by Congressman Luminog Mangelen of Cotabato Province.

From 1963 to 1967, during the incumbency of Mayor Lucio A. Velayo, an upsurge in the municipality's economy was experienced as several large agri-based corporations such as Dole Philippines, General Milling Corporation and UDAGRI expanded into the area. Although it was then qualified to become a fourth class city, the residents rejected a move by Congressman Salipada Pendatun to convert General Santos into a city and to rename it Rajah Buayan.

Finally, however, on July 8, 1968, upon approval of Republic Act No. 5412, the Municipality of General Santos was converted into a city while keeping its name. It was inaugurated on September 5 of that year. Antonio C. Acharon became its first city mayor. In 1988, two decades after its inauguration, it was declared as a highly urbanized city.

Physical infrastructure

The presence of major economic infrastructure support facilities provide the city an edge in terms of comparative advantage due to its standards that are comparable to international benchmarks.

The International Standard Airport, It has a 3,200-meter runway capable of handling wide-bodied jets like Airbus 300 series and Boeing 747.This puts almost all key cities in the Philippines like Manila, Cebu and Iloilo.

The world class Fishport Complex has a 750-meter quay, 300-meter wharf for 2,000 GT reefer carriers, refrigeration facilities with 1,500 cold storage capacity, 60 tons/day ice plant, brine, air blast and contact freezers.

The 561-meter Makar Wharf is one of the most important ports in Mindanao. It has been expanded by 151 meters to accommodate more berthing capacity.

The abundant power supply, retailer of the National Power Corporation provides the power requirement of the city.

The communication services offered by major telephone companies. The area is also serviced by Mobile telecommunication system and the availability of internet service providers serve as key to be top of the domestic and international businesses.

The state-of-the-art traffic system, provides better transportation in city, equipped with latest sensoring system for better transportation.

Festivals

Gensan celebrates Kalilangan Festival every February 'Kalilangan' means festival, festivity or jubilee. It is a social gathering marked by exchanging of amenities among traditional leaders, elders, allies and subordinates in varying tones. In a broader perspective, Kalilang projects a positive and dynamic meaning for it engulfs the artistic, humane and altruistic aspects of social interaction that takes place in any occasion or celebration. Kalilangan is a noble tradition. It is a complete work of art nourished and nurtured by rich cultural heritage that has withstand the test of time from generation to generation.

It is also a pageantry of unique and colorful ethnic rites, rituals and traditions like marriage celebrations, religious ceremonies, anniversaries, funerals, enthronement of royal dignitaries, thanksgiving and other forms of social, political and economic activities.

It is not just an economic activity, but a continuous season of merriment, gaiety and merrymaking accentuated by sharing of gifts, traditional sports competition, dancing, singing and instrumental rendition and other forms of exhibition games, entertainment and amusement.

Every September a part of the charter celebration. General Santos City is known as the Tuna Capital of the Philippines. Thanksgiving and festivities are being celebrated annually thru its Tuna Festival. Focusing on its main industries. Tuna Float is an awesome event to taste also sumptuous tuna treats during the Tuna Culinary Contest.

Noteworthy

* GenSan is nicknamed "The Tuna Capital of the Philippines"
* International Boxing sensation Manny Pacquiao hails from Labangal, General Santos City.
* General Santos City has been hailed as one of the fastest growing cities in The Philippines and has one of the highest standard of living in the country.

Malls

KCC Mall of Gensan is one of the Biggest Mall in Socsksargen Area. It has a state-of-art and high-tech infastructure and it was called "The Biggest Supermarket In Mindanao".

KCC Mall of GenSan takes the lead in trying to serve the region’s shoppers better. Today's shoppers prefer to have everything they need under one roof. At KCC Mall of GenSan, an extensive array of shops and boutiques awaits everyone.

State-of-the-art The mall is a three-storey building that is equipped with modern facilities like escalators, walkalator, elevator, wide staircases, clean comfort rooms, parking at all three levels, six cinemas, and an atrium where events are held.

Complete and Wide Variety From shoes and apparels, bags, accessories, food items, toiletries, to household items and furniture, appliances, music and sports equipment, school and office supplies, hardware supplies, and service shops, KCC Mall of GenSan provides its shoppers a broad range of products to choose from.

Fun Shoppers can enjoy kiddie rides, game machines, and video-game arcade at the Worlds of Fun or KCC Mall of Gensan's Cinemas that are equipped with the latest digital sound system.

Convenient Location KCC Mall of Gensan is located at J. Catolico, Sr. Avenue, Lagao, General Santos City, right at the heart of the city. As the biggest shopping mall so far to operate in the city, it has a total floor area of more than 80,000 square meters and 200 tenants.

GEN. SANTOS FORUMERS, THIS IS YOUR TIME TO SHINE!
Skyblue_Navyblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 174

From the history section, the municipality was established as Buayan. Right after it was renamed as Gen. Santos City.

The intro says it was formerly called Dadiangas. What period was it when it was called Dadiangas?
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
demented_pigeon

ahh yes. i miss general santos city. i used to go there every summer vacation from grade 4 until i was in grade 6. very nice memories i have of that place.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Matteo
none

Likes (Received): 9

Random General Santos photos from the net:

-wrong photo attached, as pointed out by davaoeagle, and a rolling laugh by rajah_soliman. thanks

Pioneer Avenue

City Hall

KCC Mall

Last edited by Matteo; July 12th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
Matteo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
davaoeagle
Living The New Earth

Likes (Received): 4

your topmost pic is Davao's not of Gensan.

Last edited by davaoeagle; October 29th, 2006 at 10:04 PM.
davaoeagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Rajah_Soliman
时间致富 與被愛

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by davaoeagle
your topmost pic is Davao's no of Gensan.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #7
KulasKusgan
Budotz

Likes (Received): 58

from Mindanao thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker_uno
Gen Santos City

Tuna Festival

Kalilangan Festival

Quote:
heres Makar Wharf in Gen Santos City:

Quote:
GENSAN

Old July 13th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #8
tigidig14
Mucho Mandingo Papi

galing UNO
d ba dyan yung TUNA capital of Philippines
nakita ko yata sa Pipol
tigidig14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #9
tj_brewed

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinvar
From the history section, the municipality was established as Buayan. Right after it was renamed as Gen. Santos City.

The intro says it was formerly called Dadiangas. What period was it when it was called Dadiangas?
They said that during the 80s and even early 90s, people in Davao and Southern Mindanao Region referred to Gensan as Dadiangas.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #10
tj_brewed

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigs
galing UNO
nakita ko yata sa Pipol
yup..Gensan is the TUNA CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #11
ergit222

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_brewed
yup..Gensan is the TUNA CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES
Also, Gensan is the hometown of world's No. 1 pound for pound boxing great Manny Pacquiao.

ergit222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #12
surfsam

I miss Gen San and Polomolok where I lived. I miss the chicken beef and pork at the Dole Clubhouse because they are chunky and juicy. They say the chickens, cows and pigs are fed heavily with pineapples, asparagus and other Dole products. So they are really good.

I miss passing through Kimball (now gone) and Gaisano (where Gen San had its 1st French Baker type of cafe). I miss having my haircut at Hair and Nails and Pretty Looks. I remember having my teeth cleaned by Dr. Arenas in the city.

Gen San has so much to offer. If only the national government can push its development more intensely....

I do not have photos of Gen San and Polomolok with me. More photos from the folks out there please. I left my old photos in Manila.
surfsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 507

Are there any malls/shopping centers in GenSan?
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #14
kyle@1008
Wake me when it's over

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_brewed
They said that during the 80s and even early 90s, people in Davao and Southern Mindanao Region referred to Gensan as Dadiangas.
... actually its still called like that until today.... Gen San is dadiangas and koronadal city to the south is Marbel....

I already went there....
kyle@1008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #15
WawaY[625]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin
Are there any malls/shopping centers in GenSan?
yes..KCC mall of gensan..designed by palafox and associates..however, dili ni cya katung naka post na pix sa taas, kay ive been there and dili man in anto itusra and color..
WawaY[625] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #16
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 507

Oh yes, I forgot about that, I even posted a pic in the old Luzviminda Malls thread. I'll try to look for that.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #17
KulasKusgan
Budotz

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigs
galing UNO
nakita ko yata sa Pipol
hmmm...

courtesy of flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/rorofernandez/page10/
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #18
Skyblue_Navyblue
BANNED

bkit hindi pumatok ang thread na to?
hehe!!
Skyblue_Navyblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #19
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 174

It looks like the two tunas already know what's going to happen to them by the look on their faces.
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #20
Ady001

Likes (Received): 109

YESSS!!! A gensan thread at last!
Ady001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote