daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 25th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #341
AshAshAsh

Likes (Received): 49

Big expanses of car parking surround a series of colourless, joyless blocks that look as if they belong on a post-war council estate. That is going to be truly bleak if it goes ahead.

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #342
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 109

I agree, it's so close to the west end, with the right investment and design this could make it an up and coming area ?.

Trying to find good examples of waterfront development scheme's in Glasgow is very hard, one area where we seem to lack.

Maybe red brick and playing it fairly simple, is the way to go forward ?.

Looking for examples in Glasgow, of waterside housing scheme's, I came across this fairly newish built but, is already showing signs of ageing.

Old February 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #343
Dee-lightful

Likes (Received): 15

Hello all.

Was on the WEST brewery tour last night (thoroughly recommended by the by) and took the opportunity to get the update regarding the Cooperage site and other development plans. The answer was interesting / disappointing.

According to my guide, the Cooperage development and all plans for Spierwharf are off. Apparently the decision has just being made; and made on the basis that the building is structurally unsound (if the room is taken off, the walls will collapse inwards). They do indeed still own it (why they bought it without checking this I don't know).

The plan is instead to build a new brewery and bottling plant up London Road - somewhere towards Celtic Park. There will likely be a bar there too. In addition, they are in the process of acquiring the bar (and the building above it) just across the road from the Templeton Brewery. He said the plan is uncertain, but may be a 'WEST hotel'. There are plans for a bar in Edinburgh (2014 0r 2015) and maybe one in London, though he said not to expect a Brewdog-style explosion of bars.

So, al in all, an interesting insight; but I must say that it's a blow to the Spierswharf development. Hope they can still do something there, but doesn't sound like it'll happen!
Dee-lightful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM   #344
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-lightful View Post
Hello all. Was on the WEST brewery tour last night (thoroughly recommended by the by) and took the opportunity to get the update regarding the Cooperage site and other development plans. The answer was interesting / disappointing. According to my guide, the Cooperage development and all plans for Spierwharf are off. Apparently the decision has just being made; and made on the basis that the building is structurally unsound (if the room is taken off, the walls will collapse inwards). They do indeed still own it (why they bought it without checking this I don't know). The plan is instead to build a new brewery and bottling plant up London Road - somewhere towards Celtic Park. There will likely be a bar there too. In addition, they are in the process of acquiring the bar (and the building above it) just across the road from the Templeton Brewery. He said the plan is uncertain, but may be a 'WEST hotel'. There are plans for a bar in Edinburgh (2014 0r 2015) and maybe one in London, though he said not to expect a Brewdog-style explosion of bars. So, al in all, an interesting insight; but I must say that it's a blow to the Spierswharf development. Hope they can still do something there, but doesn't sound like it'll happen!
That's a pity for Spiers Wharf, hopefully they can come up with something else for up there.

Like the sound of the WEST hotel. That current bar and building are "old Glasgow" and it's good news that WEST are taking it over
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:33 PM   #345
Charlie_

Likes (Received): 603

That's a shame. Hopefully they'll look at somewhere in Laurieston soon.
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM   #346
Steppish

Likes (Received): 92

In further bad canal related news, I had a closer look at the billboard at the cleared land across from firhill and it does look like it's definitely the plan from the previous page.
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #347
allanglens

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-lightful View Post
Hello all.

Was on the WEST brewery tour last night (thoroughly recommended by the by) and took the opportunity to get the update regarding the Cooperage site and other development plans. The answer was interesting / disappointing.

According to my guide, the Cooperage development and all plans for Spierwharf are off. Apparently the decision has just being made; and made on the basis that the building is structurally unsound (if the room is taken off, the walls will collapse inwards). They do indeed still own it (why they bought it without checking this I don't know).

The plan is instead to build a new brewery and bottling plant up London Road - somewhere towards Celtic Park. There will likely be a bar there too. In addition, they are in the process of acquiring the bar (and the building above it) just across the road from the Templeton Brewery. He said the plan is uncertain, but may be a 'WEST hotel'. There are plans for a bar in Edinburgh (2014 0r 2015) and maybe one in London, though he said not to expect a Brewdog-style explosion of bars.

So, al in all, an interesting insight; but I must say that it's a blow to the Spierswharf development. Hope they can still do something there, but doesn't sound like it'll happen!
Doesn't really surprise me. The building has always looked as if it were not long for this world, with bits of old render, etc., falling off it regularly, and cracking in various places.

Very surprised if they bought it without a full survey - someone has slipped up badly if true.
allanglens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:26 AM   #348
Xtreminal
Black Cobra

Likes (Received): 1218

Shame, in deed. I was getting excited to see something there
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #349
Charlie_

Likes (Received): 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppish View Post
In further bad canal related news, I had a closer look at the billboard at the cleared land across from firhill and it does look like it's definitely the plan from the previous page.
That one's going at some pace I counted 9 diggers on site the other day
Old February 16th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #350
Steppish

presumably everyone involved is so embarrassed by the whole thing they just want it done as quickly as possible

pricks
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:22 PM   #351
Celyn

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxliving View Post

Looking for examples in Glasgow, of waterside housing scheme's, I came across this fairly newish built but, is already showing signs of ageing.

Oh ye gods, that's horrible. It looks as though all that brown pannelling stuff is about to fall off. No, in fact it looks like something tacked up as a temporary measure, in the same way as shoving boards up over broken windows until they can be mended.

I'm always aware on this board that all of you are clever qualified (or student) architects or whatever, and I but a mere human who only lives in buildings, not designs or constructs them, but seriously, just HOW can buildings like that one be made by people who know what they're doing?

Is it really a case of just throw it up and hope it looks good enough until people buy it? I mean, it can't really be, can it, because surely companies would soon get a bad reputation in the field.

I iz confused.
Celyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #352
Steppish

Looks like the canal path has been resurfaced all the way from lock 27 round the back of Knightswood (or Charlietown as i prefer to think of it). That's as far as I went so dunno if it continues all the way to Clydebank or not. Anyone know when it was done? I've not been along there since early Autumn.

It's a vast improvement - the old path became a swamp whenever it rained.
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #353
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I'm always aware on this board that all of you are clever qualified (or student) architects or whatever, and I but a mere human who only lives in buildings, not designs or constructs them, but seriously, just HOW can buildings like that one be made by people who know what they're doing?
Tragically a lot of the time what an architect would like and what is allowed doesn't match. The clients (in the case of the above example some two-bit housing developer, I imagine) will want to squeeze as much profit as they can. The architects are then pretty much expected to draw up something with providing bare minimum accommodation at a cheap price, and much as they should protest, they'd then be out of a job.

Also a lot of us aren't architects. Though I used to study it for a bit, I never completed the degree. Chewed me up and spat me right back out. Awful degree to study.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #354
drjimmy

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppish View Post
Looks like the canal path has been resurfaced all the way from lock 27 round the back of Knightswood (or Charlietown as i prefer to think of it). That's as far as I went so dunno if it continues all the way to Clydebank or not. Anyone know when it was done? I've not been along there since early Autumn.

It's a vast improvement - the old path became a swamp whenever it rained.
They finished it the other week. Still a bit swampy beyond Blairdardie.
drjimmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #355
Xtreminal
Black Cobra

Likes (Received): 1218

Is anybody been there recently? I've heard from my dad, some construction work started near Spiers Wharf.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #356
allanglens

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
Is anybody been there recently? I've heard from my dad, some construction work started near Spiers Wharf.
Just pathway and landscaping as far as I can see. Plus the new bridge.

Xtreminal liked this post
allanglens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #357
Pious Fraud
In the brig

Likes (Received): 667

BBC Pictures: The Vulcan returns home

'The Vulcan has undertaken one final voyage and returned to its original home on the Monkland Canal'

~o0o~

Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #358
RapidTaco

Pinkston Paddlesports to be open within weeks

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/k...7451n.23791815

Kayaking course is wet and wild

SCOTLAND'S first artificial white water kayaking course will be making waves within weeks in the heart of Glasgow.

Pinkston Watersports will offer inner-city canoeing, kayaking and outdoor swimming, as well as training facilities for the fire and rescue services.

Dozens of watersports clubs have already signed up to use the facility, on the Forth and Clyde canal near Speirs Warf, which is due to open in May.

Pinkston Watersports has trained youth workers from clubs across north Glasgow, including Roys-ton Youth Action, and they have formed the Pinkston Paddlers Canoe Club.

These young people will run training sessions for P7 age children from across the city. Up to 25,000 people are expected to use the centre each year - paddle sports is the UK's fastest growing sport sector.

There is a 'clean water' basin for canoeing, kayak-ing and other watersports and storage facilities, with changing rooms and parking.

However, the biggest attraction is likely to be the artificial white water course, which will suit even the most experienced canoeists.

Although the centre will only initially be used by clubs, in a year or so it hopes to offer turn-up-and -try sessions for the public.

Richard Sherlock, 37, of Royston Youth Action, said: "We are going to be working with the P7s.

"We have trained three youth workers up already. It's great for young people to get the chance to do something like this."

Nick Miller, 28, from Maryhill, is hooked. He said: "Trying it was cold - I've fallen in a few times. We've been inundated with children to try it."

Katie Smillie, 25, from Maryhill, said: "It's hard going at first but it's been an amazing experience."

Centre manager Iain Braithwaite said the facility has dozens of clubs on its books.

AND it causes a stir with passing traffic when the white water course pumps are turned on.

Iain added: "It's exciting now we are weeks away from opening, as we had a few delays. Paddle sports are the fastest growing sport in the UK.

"Park and play will also allow people to bring their own boats.

"We have had a huge amount of interest from clubs but also interest from people who are part of outdoor swimming groups."

Josie Saunders of Scottish Canals said with the Commonwealth Games coming to the city, there couldn't be a better time for the people of Glasgow to take some simple and easy steps to get active.

She added: The Evening Times' Active 2014 campaign shows just how many ways there are to keep fit and healthy in our great city and how even the smallest change in activity and lifestyle can make a huge difference."

Charlie_ liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:31 PM   #359
RapidTaco

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/c...8177n.23862650

Canal footbridge lifted into place

THE regeneration of north Glasgow was boosted when a new footbridge was craned into place.

The bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal at Spiers Wharf will improve access for businesses, residents and visitors.

The 20-metre structure, which weighs 11 tonnes, was made in Sheffield and driven to the city in two sections.

A 100 tonne crane is being used to manoeuvre them into place over the water.

They will be positioned on the concrete piers of the Second World War stop locks which were built as part of the city's flood prevention system in the event the canal was bombed during the Blitz.

Scottish Canals say the project will also result in new towpaths, lighting, landscaping and a mooring for residential barges along the canal banks.

The bridge forms the final piece of the Landscape Link project which aims to improve pedestrian and cycle access between the north of the city and the city centre.

It began with the creation of the Phoenix Flowers, also known as the metal petals, at Cowcaddens.

Richard Millar, director of heritage, enterprise and sustainability at Scottish Canals, said: "From the water to the banks and beyond, Scottish Canals is committed to using the waterways innovatively and driving forward the regeneration of North Glasgow.

"The installation of the bridge is the latest stage in the on-going transformation of the area and marks a major improvement in access between North Glasgow and the city centre."

A number of creative organisations, including Scottish Opera and the National Theatre for Scotland, have moved into the cultural quarter at Speirs Locks.

And Scotland's first urban watersports centre has taken up residence at nearby Pinkston Basin.

Mr Millar said: "The new bridge should encourage even more people to explore the changing face of North Glasgow, stimulate economic activity and bring employment and increased vibrancy to the area."

Spiers Wharf will also play host to a Dutch barge when it makes its journey to the canal later this year.

The restoration and return of the century old vessel is part of a Scottish Canals drive to bring tall-masted ships back to the waterway.

The craft will be available for a range of uses, from a quirky holiday home to an unusual meeting or event space and its towering mast will be seen from the nearby M8 and city centre.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: