search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #81
ELH

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
Ive made an extremely preliminary map of those pieces of high quality classical architecture that have been lost inside of Oslo`s core.

Most (but not all) of those buildings have been shown in this thread allready.
One lost, high quality classical building not shown here yet is this one (orange encircled) in Akersgata at the height of the governmental quarter:

It was torn in the 80s or 90s to give space fo a large complex attached to the government. They saved only the corner building (visible in both photos). They could easily also have saved the next building by redisposing the volumes of the new complex.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #82
ELH

Quote:
Ive made an extremely preliminary map of those pieces of high quality classical architecture that have been lost inside of Oslo`s core.

Till yet, I have counted a total of 18 to 20 such buildings inside of the area shown on the map.
I guess I have to subtract one from that count. I thought I had discovered another, lost classical building - but it turned out it is the same building still standing there - having undergone an extension.

This is the building as it used to look, and which I thought was lost:

One reason I didnt overlook the situation is that in this and other pre-post comparisons of the neighbouring, now lost building - THIS building is not yet there in the "pre-photo" and allready altered/extended in the "post-photo".

For once, I think the alteration improved the building.

Another thing is that since the building was adjacent to its lost neighbour, a possible future rebuild (albeit admittedly unlikely) would blend equally well into the street picture as once it did.

Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #83
ELH

Quote:
I was thinking Galro had posted a photo of the rack that stood where the modern building of this square is located, but I could`t find it so I guess it is not yet posted in this thread. The render, btw, is one for replacing another, similarly unappealing modernist piece standing there now.

This is how the Market facade used to look like:

Only the left building in that photo (the "Robsahm building") was shown earlier, then as an example of lost buildings along the Karl Johan`s street.

The south, east and north sides of the square is intact, so it needs only the will to make it complete. Heres the south facade:

Galro liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #84
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 7924

Quote:
Is that a live fire happening in the upper left corner of that picture, or is it just a disturbance to the photo?
It's just noise in the picture, yes.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #85
Galro

Here is the Stortorvet market square facade from a higher viewpoint. Note the large telephone line tower on the roof. Grensen 12 and Grensen 17 can both be seen in the back to the right.

Looking down Kongens Gate with a closer view of this building row. This picture was taken at a later date as can be seen by the introduction of cars to the street life and the much more cluttered facade.

In color. Note the modernistic building looming to the left. It's Stortorvet 7 which was built in two step - the first step replaced the Robsahm building while the second step would replace these two buildings.

ELH, soren5en, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #86
ELH

Uncomparibly much nicer than the present situation.
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #87
Galro

Another lost building is old hotel Stefan at C.J. Hambros plass, right opposed the Oslo court house. The building was severely damaged in a fire 1947 and was later blown to peaces in a controlled explosion to demolish it.

Here seen in 1900.

The spire and the whole roof was at some point removed. I'm not sure why exactly, but this is how it appeared in 1945 without its original roof structure.

It was later demolished in a controlled explosion in 1947 as seen here.

The replacement.

ELH, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 18th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #88
Galro

St Olavs Gate 28. Built in 1890 and demolished in 1958.

Some of the statues and decorations were removed from the gables and the roof window at some point as can be seen in this picture from 1958.

ELH liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 18th, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #89
ELH

Here`s an update of the "map sketch" over lost pieces of high quality, classical architecture within Oslo`s core center. Thanks to Galros latest contributions, the number of buildings has risen to 25.

Quote:
if Oslo would take some daring choices, the pre-modern heritage would aid Oslo's overall effort to attain self-respect as "equally Cosmopolitan".

First, the oldest part of the post-medieval city (kvadraturen) should be revitalized (so people actually go experience it) and undergo renovation to shine.

Second, Oslo should seek to develop a classicalist approach to support and emphasize its classical urbanism (like Berlin; Dsseldorf).

Third, taking time as our aid, we should work to increase the popularity of the idea of reconstruction. Oslo has had its share of moronic demolitions.

The map sketch presented above pertains only to the third of those points right above. It would be equally possible to make a map for the points one and two, however.

Pertaining to point one: A demarkation on a map of all high quality classical buildings still recognizable as that, but not currently being vital (functionally speaking) or being in need of restoration.

Pertaining to point two: A demarkation on a map of all low quality modern buildings (a few higher quality pieces may be worth keeping) which could be better replaced with classicalist architecture (aka the badly named, so called "Berlin style" or similar/locally adapted).

Im not able to make even a "map sketch" for points two and three at this point - but this is the principles along which I would form the future of Oslo`s center if I had a say (not "planned" of course).

Im actually no one-sided historicist/romaticist - Im also pro a modern highrise skyline for Oslo to be established in north-east outskirt of the center. More, I`m generally for excellence and against halfway solutions.

Oslo is growing and having only one, small historic center. If the historicism of that center is erased/reduced, the center will be no different from other, less historic parts of the city. If that is not Oslos loss...?

Last edited by ELH; June 18th, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #90
Galro

Further up the street you also had St Olavs Gate 33 at the outer edge of your map. Originally built around 1890 and demolished in 1972 to make way for the low groundscraper part of Hotel Scandinavia.

28 and 33 seen together.

ELH, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #91
Galro

Quote:
I would personally say that Kirkegata 8 and this small "infill" in Kongens Gate qualifies as lost high quality architecture too. Both were "business palaces" from the 1890s with all that that entails.
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #92
ELH

Grensen and Kirkeristen are two streets going over and into each other parallely to the east-west streets of "Kvadraturen" presented previously. It lies right north of that historic area (in fact "Grensen" means "the border").

Many buildings from Grensen has been shown on this thread allready, so Ill take care not to double post. In fact, the following photos are more like street impressions, but also chosen to show a little more of the street`s classical architecture and its environment.

soren5en, Roy Corduroy, DuBerMaN liked this post

Last edited by ELH; June 19th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #93
Galro

Quote:
The building seen to the right here is known as the Dobloug building and is the neighbor to Hassel building mentioned on page 1 in this thread. The building was constructed between 1899 and 1900 with Julius Foseid as the architect. The brother Jens and Mikkel Dobloug were the developer behind it. The Dobloug brother specialized on the trading of textile and they first established their trade in Hamar in the 1860s before they moved to Oslo (then Christiania). They were a active promoter of "pure" Norwegian flags without the union mark and their company was the first place to stock it.

This building has, as previously mentioned, been simplified. The first floor have been altered. This have recently been partially restored, but it is not a 100% exact copy of how it was originally built and how it is seen in these picture. The biggest loss however have happened on the roof which have lost a spire and two cone-shaped "towers" which once gave the building a rather flamboyant appearance.

soren5en liked this post
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #94
Galro

Quote:
The building seen to the left with the flagpole on the roof is Glasmagasinet. Glasmagasinet have existed since 1739,. First they were located at Jernbanetorget, but they moved to Stortorvet in 1862 due to the construction of the railway and central station at their former location. The current building was completed in 1899 with Harald Olsen as the architect.

The building have since then went through some modifications. Like always it is the roof and the first floor that been most severely affected. First floor have gotten smaller windows which have given it a more closed off feeling. The building is currently under restoration and I think it is likely that they will restore this part. While the roof have lost its crown which have been replaced with aforementioned flagpole.

soren5en liked this post
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #95
ELH

Here`s a few pictures from Holbergs plass ("Holberg`s square") on the edge og the city core to the north west.

I dare suggest Scandic Holberg Hotel is Oslo`s most italian looking building:

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #96
ELH

Since we talk of mediterranean countries. This could be Oslo`s "frenchest" building; "Victoria Terasse".

Its been displayed on this thread before, but only incidentally on page 1. Here`s a time lapse:

Off course, I must not find Oslo`s most german building, since when it comes to classical architecture, Oslo is practically german.

I would be curious about the most english building though. Any tips Galro?

soren5en, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:20 PM   #97
ELH

Finding distinctly english looking architecture in Oslo is very hard. By mere association, this house feels "a little" english to me, simply because it is a house out of natural stone (fairly uncommon in Scandinavia and much of northern, continental Europe).

However, it is an unfair comparison to the french vibes of "Victoria Terasse" - as it goes in the direction "village" rather than "palace".

It is said that if there is one "european city" pre war Oslo "looks like", it would be pre war Berlin. I guess there is no question which direction the influence went - and very interestingly, most norwegians (Im norwegian) don`t know it.

Last edited by ELH; June 21st, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:51 PM   #98
ELH

The national gallery:

The collection of the national gallery is going to move into the new built national museum alongside other collections and permanent exhibitions. What will happen to the building afterwards is not known to me..

On a side note, I think the Munch collection of the national gallery is better than that of the Munch museum, even if the latter is bigger. That lets one think about the amounts of money and prestige that goes into the new building of the Munch museum.

Last edited by ELH; June 22nd, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:16 PM   #99
ELH

Monestary ruins at the island of "Hovedya"; the fjord island lying the closest to the city center (just a couple of hundred meters from land).

Last edited by ELH; June 23rd, 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:22 PM   #100
ELH

At the western end of the city proper lies the "Colloseum cinema". It`s one of Europe`s biggest cinema halls.
Its a borderline case, but I think the original cinema can qualify as a piece of classical architecture:

It burned:

...and was rebuilt like this. The building`s socket, but not the dome, remains original.

Last edited by ELH; June 23rd, 2017 at 05:38 PM.