search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #2281
qjone2

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Hideous? It is a masterpiece of contemporary design, and it will become one of the architectural icons of Berlin.
It'll be an icon if only because it sticks out like a sore thumb in a historic part of the city, and is literally impossible to ignore. The Louvre Pyramid, a comparable entity, is at least tasteful in its form, composition, placement, and choice of materials; above all, it is considerate of its surroundings. This monument is not, and is loud for the sake of being loud.

robertwood, erbse, d.henney liked this post
qjone2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #2282
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 20604

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
It'll be an icon if only because it sticks out like a sore thumb in a historic part of the city, and is literally impossible to ignore. The Louvre Pyramid, a comparable entity, is at least tasteful in its form, composition, placement, and choice of materials; above all, it is considerate of its surroundings. This monument is not, and is loud for the sake of being loud.
The Louvre Pyramid, the Centre Georges Pompidou, the Tour Mountparnasse and, for sake, even the Tour Eiffel were heavily and harshly criticized when its design was first unveiled to the general public as being a blight, out of place etc. Now they are iconic parts and artifacts of the city of Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
That's a masterpiece? Well I guess me and the rest of the public just aren't sophisticated enough in our taste to see the beauty you do. And are you saying this is a better replacement then was was once there?
What once stood there was destructed in war. So any such comparison is to an extent improper: there is nothing there now, they are not tearing down an existing monument to build the reunification memorial.
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #2283
qjone2

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
The Louvre Pyramid, the Centre Georges Pompidou, the Tour Mountparnasse and, for sake, even the Tour Eiffel were heavily and harshly criticized when its design was first unveiled to the general public as being a blight, out of place etc. Now they are iconic parts and artifacts of the city of Paris.

The Centre Georges Pompidou and the Tour Mountarnasse are iconically ugly, and the latter in particular is consistently ranked as one of the ugliest buildings in the world. As I previously mentioned with the Reunification Momument, their striking juxtaposition with their surrounds is the only thing that make them iconic; they're impossible to miss because they revel in their own subversiveness and do little else. Indeed, modern architecture in general often concerns itself with monumentality and subversiveness as a means of making up for the inherent austerity of its design.

The difference with the Reunification Monument is that it essentially replaces the Kaiser Wilhelm Monument, which could have been reconstructed and was overwhelmingly the favourite in the eyes of the public.

Also, the monument was not as you say destroyed in the war, but torn down by the GDR, along with the Schloss, in 1950. The Schloss at least now represents a refusal to have history purposefully overwritten by the whims of ideologues. The same could've been true for the colonnades, but they're unlikely to see the light of day now.

Fudgis, Titan Man, Bosi, Tiaren, TM_Germany and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by qjone2; June 12th, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
qjone2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #2284
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Hideous? It is a masterpiece of contemporary design, and it will become one of the architectural icons of Berlin.
Relax, it's a glorified playground, it will never be more important or recognizable than the Brandenburg Gate.
However, I can see the Schloss becoming one of the icons of both Berlin and Germany, it's so gigantic and beautiful, a perfect storm.

Tiaren, erbse liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #2285
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Relax, it's a glorified playground, it will never be more important or recognizable than the Brandenburg Gate.
However, I can see the Schloss becoming one of the icons of both Berlin and Germany, it's so gigantic and beautiful, a perfect storm.
I'm not saying it would be the major icon of Berlin, just one of these second-level icons. Brandernburg gate, TV tower, the Bundestag with its glass dome are all first-level icons. Then it comes structures like the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe, the view of the Tiergarten towards the obelisk, the Hbf., the view of the central plaza between the museums in the island... and right there the new reunification monument might stand along.
Old June 13th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #2286
robertwood

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:

What once stood there was destructed in war. So any such comparison is to an extent improper: there is nothing there now, they are not tearing down an existing monument to build the reunification memorial.
Actually the Kaiser monument survived the war. The commies tore it down.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #2287
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 754

Rebuild the National Kaiser Wilhelm Monument or another Reunification Monument, using material scrapped from the Soviet War Memorial.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #2288
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5468

A finished statue of Antinous (favorite/lover of Emperor Hadrian) was revealed today.

He did and will again adorn the facade of the Schlüterhof main portal.

Some images of Antinous' creation process:

Antinous is carved from Silesian sandstone, is over 3 metres high and weighs more than 1,5 tonnes.

Glorytrotter, Ludi, Titan Man, erbse, qjone2 and 8 others liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #2289
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 56671

^ Such a beautiful craft. I really enjoy renovating old doors, chairs, rooftiles etc. in my old houses, but that is just pure art. Beautiful, aesthetic, no one can ever deny this natural beauty.

Quote:
Actually they are. Sadly. The remains of the Imperial Monument are still there, and are an important document of history that is now wiped out. Idiotic.

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #2290
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1636

Quote:
The Tour Mountparnasse, seriously? Actually it's a perfect example of a building which was heavily criticized and hated when it was first unveiled and still is. Proposals to tear it down keep appearing from time to time. So you couldn't pick a worse example to compare the Einheitsdenkmal with.

qjone2, erbse, Titan Man, DarkLite liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #2291
hateman

Likes (Received): 1731

Incredible, that sculpture was completely milled with a CNC machine? Perhaps as technology improves we'll see a return to ornamentation, replacing the lost craftsmen that once filled the role.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

qjone2 liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #2292
Suburbanist
on the road

CNC are very interesting machines

qjone2 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #2293
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 126

First Finished Stucco Wall

Note that they are in the process of taking down the scaffolding on the north wall between the two portals where they have evidently completed the stucco work. It looks good.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2294
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
Note that they are in the process of taking down the scaffolding on the north wall between the two portals where they have evidently completed the stucco work. It looks good.
In the Stadtbild Deutschland Forum are already some very recent photographs of the uncovered facade:
http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...428#post254433

Unfortunately the photographer is very picky about who is allowed to share his photos and who is not, so I can't share them here with you guys.
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #2295
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 56671

But we can share the webcam shot

http://cam05.berlinerschloss-webcam.de/

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!

Tiaren, qjone2, Manolo_B2, Titan Man, 8166UY and 5 others liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #2296
Tiaren

Image of the facade from Berliner Zeitung:

http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/mitte...choenste-seite

I really like the color they chose in the end. It is in between a warm beige and a very light yellow. It looks really fresh and radiant, especially in the evening sun. The facades then exude a beautiful, warm glow.

Finding the right color was true detective work. In a crate in Charlottenburg Palace's basement they found some fragments of the facade of the City Palace. Through chemical analysis they could recompose the original color.

Last edited by Tiaren; June 20th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #2297
vankatalaan
H.R.H

Likes (Received): 545

I think it looks magnificent, I want to see more. I shared it on my Facebook and most people didn't even know they were rebuilding the Schloss haahah
vankatalaan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #2298
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankatalaan View Post
I think it looks magnificent, I want to see more. I shared it on my Facebook and most people didn't even know they were rebuilding the Schloss haahah
Outside of Berlin most Germans don't know of the reconstruction either.
Once it is finally finished this will definitely change, because I am 110% sure the Stadtschloss/Humboldt Forum will quickly turn into one of Berlin's premier attractions. Right next to Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag and TV Tower. Its dreamy baroque architecture as well as the world class exhibitions in it will make sure of it.

Fudgis liked this post
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #2299
Fudgis

Likes (Received): 130

The final finish looks superb, the choice of colouring exceeds all the previsualisations we've thus far seen. I can't wait to see more areas completed and the scaffolding removed, the results will be absolutely stunning!

The only thing that puzzles me is the choice of area to finish first, the completed section with the render on the north side sits between the only two unfinished facades, thus building work continues against it and the balustrade remains incomplete the despite removal of scaffolding. I'm sure this won't be a problem and all is working to plan, it just seems an odd starting point for the stucco render since the entire south side and most of the west are already structurally complete.

Anyhow roll on the rest of the external finish, they're doing a wonderful job and I can't wait to see the completed Schloss when it finally opens. Bravo Berlin!!
Fudgis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #2300
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12059

Is there, by any chance, any information on the materials and composition of the plaster they've used on the façade?

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella