search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #14161
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 316

San Jose mayor and former adviser split over high-rise near Santana Row

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/1...r-santana-row/

Quote:
A vote on a new high-rise near Santana Row led to a testy exchange between Mayor Sam Liccardo and his longtime confidant Erik Schoennauer.

But hours before the vote, Liccardo and Assistant City Manager Dave Sykes wanted to put it off for two weeks, in part to give San Jose time to roll out a “strategy” for dealing with potential lawsuits from neighboring Santa Clara.

“Before the ink was dry on that community-driven plan, the council’s majority approved an exception to the plan for height (at 150 feet) by building higher (185 feet),” Licccardo said. “This creates a problematic precedent if we seek to build community trust.”

The $350 million project is expected to generate $4.3 million in property tax revenue, $2.8 million for parks and $5 million for an affordable housing fund. Volar’s developer also will pay into a community facility district fund for improvements to the neighborhood.

Xynoplas liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #14162
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post
Again, *I* am 100% certain that Google will be building housing as part of its DTSJ complex.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...and-1497448838
I'm fine with a few hundred units, even a thousand units or so, as long as the requisite office space is built.

Something like Trammel Crow's 1M sq office space (5,000 workers) to 350 apartment units (~1000 residents) sounds good to me. So 8M sq ft of office space and 2,000-2,500 units of very high-density housing (200+ du) sounds pretty good. And hopefully those residential would all be as high as can be built in that part of town.

Or maybe Google should foot some incentives for the high-rises in Downtown Core

Davodd liked this post
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #14163
sjn

Likes (Received): 351

Just spent a week in Los Ángeles and gotta say I prefer living in SJ and visiting LA. LA has a lot going on but it’s spread apart so much and the downtown is hard to get around and the traffic is hell on earth. San José is much safer, less traffic, more centralized.

AMRivlin liked this post
sjn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #14164
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post
Again, *I* am 100% certain that Google will be building housing as part of its DTSJ complex.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...and-1497448838
DTSJ is very different from North Bayshore with its limited traffic access (3 clogged roads) and zero public transit. With~20 towers approved in Downtown, street access to 3 freeways and nearby neighborhoods (including growing midtown) in addition to multiple transit lines... I doubt Google will spends its money and space on housing. Especially since landlords cannot restrict/or discriminate in leasing to tenants.

AMRivlin liked this post
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #14165
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 1530

Modera - Jun 17, 2017

AMRivlin, jawz, aphelion2100 liked this post
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #14166
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 1530

Silvery Towers - June 17, 2017

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #14167
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I think that if the Google buildings do happen, then the city should do something to help fast track the high-rise development downtown, whether that means getting the development department to move faster, or the city council, or getting relevant permits faster. There will likely be a marked increase in demand to live downtown, and with only 6 residential highrises, and 2 under construction it means that may be very limited as we increase the amount of office space by 60-80%.

I think by prioritizing downtown it might limit the effect on other areas and allow for the high-rise development that limits the net cost to the city.
Our zoning policy, which requires asking for approvals from the city, is slow by design.

Making this faster would be a win.
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #14168
DarkEconomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkcity View Post
DTSJ is very different from North Bayshore with its limited traffic access (3 clogged roads) and zero public transit. With~20 towers approved in Downtown, street access to 3 freeways and nearby neighborhoods (including growing midtown) in addition to multiple transit lines... I doubt Google will spends its money and space on housing. Especially since landlords cannot restrict/or discriminate in leasing to tenants.
I've heard that Google expects to build housing.

But all this hype is somewhat excessive. This is a long term project. It could be a long time before anything starts to get built.

nxy, SJNewKid, Davodd liked this post
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #14169
pesto

Likes (Received): 2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEconomist View Post
I've heard that Google expects to build housing.

But all this hype is somewhat excessive. This is a long term project. It could be a long time before anything starts to get built.
Yes. As in 10 to 20 years. Typically a company will project many possible ideas but execute only a few and cut back on it as some ventures turn out not to be feasible.

It may turn out to be mostly housing if the idea of DT SJ as a place to live catches on. Or it may not be housing if people prefer to live elsewhere.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #14170
nxy

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Yes. As in 10 to 20 years. Typically a company will project many possible ideas but execute only a few and cut back on it as some ventures turn out not to be feasible.

It may turn out to be mostly housing if the idea of DT SJ as a place to live catches on. Or it may not be housing if people prefer to live elsewhere.
I'm just as excited as everyone else! But remember the north san jose Apple developments? We were all excited about those and literally nothing has happened. They even have an empty already built building over there.

I do hope we see some movement from Google earlier as they don't have two massive campuses finishing this year (Apple 2 and Sunnyvale)

rickupton liked this post
nxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:43 AM   #14171
sjn

Google’s San Jose renewal plan: ‘Grand Central of the West’

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/1...-jose-changes/

Quote:
Google’s development would be situated at the heart of San Jose’s grand plan to make Diridon Station a central hub of stops for every major rail service in the region: BART, Amtrak, Caltrain, the ACE Train and planned high-speed rail.

“The fact that it is a transit hub is very important to Google, and the size of the potential development is attractive,” a Google representative said.

“The only reason Google is coming into the downtown is that transit hub,” said Carl Guardino, president of Silicon Valley Leadership Group. “Diridon Station is absolutely going to be the Grand Central Station of the West. We will see 600 trains a day going through there.”

DarkEconomist, bobby_guz_man liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:17 AM   #14172
dirt patch
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Just enjoy the dream When you wake up and get back to reality: stick the development that's actually occurring, please.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #14173
DarkEconomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post

Quote:
Bringing Google into downtown could also help the city’s downtown attract more investment.

“We will see more players that want to invest in real estate and redevelopment downtown,” said Chad Leiker, a first vice president with commercial real estate firm Kidder Mathews
The "And then..." is part of what really makes this exciting. Yes, yes, Google coming to DTSJ would be huge. But what that encourages, from the city, from VTA, from other companies, and from developers is where I get excited. Google's presence could boost office demand in downtown. And it would obviously attract residential developers wanting to bring in those Googler dollars. NSP could see full build-out and the Sobrato holdings could come under pressure.

But one question I've seen posed is if the city will allow that growth. And this was interesting because it was really asking about the city's priorities. It's easy to use jobs:employed residents as a wedge against a lot of development. But this close to jobs and at high density? What's the battle cry against housing that encourages a lot of walking, biking, and transit ridership along existing routes, and that is above a net-positive density? In that case, the question went, does the city raise allotments?

bobby_guz_man, Davodd liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #14174
bobby_guz_man

Quote:

Note to self: STOP reading the comment section!

CTA25, AMRivlin liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #14175
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEconomist View Post
The "And then..." is part of what really makes this exciting. Yes, yes, Google coming to DTSJ would be huge. But what that encourages, from the city, from VTA, from other companies, and from developers is where I get excited. Google's presence could boost office demand in downtown. And it would obviously attract residential developers wanting to bring in those Googler dollars. NSP could see full build-out and the Sobrato holdings could come under pressure.

But one question I've seen posed is if the city will allow that growth. And this was interesting because it was really asking about the city's priorities. It's easy to use jobs:employed residents as a wedge against a lot of development. But this close to jobs and at high density? What's the battle cry against housing that encourages a lot of walking, biking, and transit ridership along existing routes, and that is above a net-positive density? In that case, the question went, does the city raise allotments?
I think as long as net-positive, extremely-high-density residentials are built, then most likely there will not be a lot of oppositions.

But net-positive is key.
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #14176
sjn

With regards to higher height limits downtown, I had the chance to fly directly from LAX into SJC on Saturday (first time flying into SJC) and the plane landed over downtown. I can easily see taller buildings being OK'd east of the 87 - the flight path never crosses over the 87.

The Diridon area, though, maybe only could handle 20-25 stories at most. Even then I don't know, since that's directly over the path.

CTA25 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #14177
pesto

Likes (Received): 2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxy View Post
I'm just as excited as everyone else! But remember the north san jose Apple developments? We were all excited about those and literally nothing has happened. They even have an empty already built building over there.

I do hope we see some movement from Google earlier as they don't have two massive campuses finishing this year (Apple 2 and Sunnyvale)
I expect Google to get broad entitlements early but build slowly. They are not likely to over-build or step on too many toes since they have a lot of history with MV and should have gotten experience from that. They have to make it clear to the city that they are not a charity.

Larger cities like SJ are tough to deal with since there are more mouths to feed (every councilmember has a group of large donors who have to get their share, various ethnic groups, veterans, homeless, etc., will stonewall unless they are paid off). So Google needs to set the tone early that there are limits and that the deal has to be mutually beneficial.

bobby_guz_man liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #14178
sjn

Trammell Crow is devouring the blighted land north of SAP Center.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/1...town-san-jose/

nerdymark liked this post

Last edited by sjn; June 19th, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #14179
usman408

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Trammell Crow is devouring the blighted land north of SAP Center.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/1...town-san-jose/
IMO it really is a double edged sword. Assuming full build-out, downtown nets alot of jobs and achieves much of its TOD vision for Diridon. However, I am concerned about creating a mono-culture in the area based solely around one company. I am surprised to see them going nuts with all of this land acquisition and with the scope of the plans that they have. Some diversity in investment would be good for the Diridon area which allows for more redundancy during a bust cycle. I would hope that other developers or companies are pressured to make investments in the area based on the news coming out of the City/Google.

aphelion2100, bobby_guz_man liked this post
usman408 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #14180
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman408 View Post
IMO it really is a double edged sword. Assuming full build-out, downtown nets alot of jobs and achieves much of its TOD vision for Diridon. However, I am concerned about creating a mono-culture in the area based solely around one company. I am surprised to see them going nuts with all of this land acquisition and with the scope of the plans that they have. Some diversity in investment would be good for the Diridon area which allows for more redundancy during a bust cycle. I would hope that other developers or companies are pressured to make investments in the area based on the news coming out of the City/Google.
You have a valid point but I wouldn't think that the city would have to or be able to pressure other companies to invest in the downtown area near the future Google campus. I have a feeling that some other high tech companies may play "follow the leader" & decide to move to DTSJ for the very same reasons given by Google--namely to be near the "grand central station of the west" or the busiest transportation hub in the bay area.
Hopefully, the idea of a reverse commute into DTSJ may become a very attractive selling point to many other high tech companies now that Google is on the verge of making such a huge commitment in DTSJ.
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
san josé