daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #1061
minus90

Likes (Received): 2

Tower block plans unveiled for new retirement homes in Brassington Avenue

DETAILED ‘regeneration’ plans for a vacant piece of prime land in the heart of Sutton Coldfield have been released ahead of a public consultation next week.
Developer PegasusLife has unveiled its proposals for the Brassington Avenue site in the town centre, which include five ‘rotated’ tower blocks, 235 apartments, an indoor swimming pool, private cinema and fully equipped gym. The details of the proposed development were sent to 3,500 surrounding homes this week.
If plans are approved the Brassington site will also have a piazza open to the public, with commercial space on the ground floor, which PegasusLife says will expand the town centre.

Read more: http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.c...#ixzz2ycJCIFj0

Soul_13 liked this post
minus90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #1062
nigeman

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus90 View Post
DETAILED ‘regeneration’ plans for a vacant piece of prime land in the heart of Sutton Coldfield have been released ahead of a public consultation next week.
Developer PegasusLife has unveiled its proposals for the Brassington Avenue site in the town centre, which include five ‘rotated’ tower blocks, 235 apartments, an indoor swimming pool, private cinema and fully equipped gym. The details of the proposed development were sent to 3,500 surrounding homes this week.
If plans are approved the Brassington site will also have a piazza open to the public, with commercial space on the ground floor, which PegasusLife says will expand the town centre.

Love it, but it wouldn't get past planners in Birmingham never mind snooty Sutton Coldfield
Expect several "dumbed down" versions till we get a 60's style tower block that is accepted
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #1063
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 91

Very London-esque...I like the idea however I can not see this happening.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1064
Jack.Westwood

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Rectory Road – 12th April – 09th May 2014
Rectory between Coleshill Street and Riland Road will have a full closure to
prepare for crane locations, removal of existing bridge arch and construct the
new bridge deck. (TMS)
Start time – 08.00hrs Finish time – 16.00hrs
Jack.Westwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #1065
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:

I was saying to a mate who told me about this that I cant see this happening.

People are fed up with the blight on the site, but don't want anything built that isn't thatched cottages. Unfortunately the site is in an undesirable location, thin and very little will work.

I understand that the tallest tower will be 15 stories. Very exciting.

I think it's a decent plan for the site. Crack on.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #1066
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 210

Very handsome looking blocks - Sutton should embrace the luxury mansion tower!

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1067
Salt Peanuts

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Love it, but it wouldn't get past planners in Birmingham never mind snooty Sutton Coldfield
Expect several "dumbed down" versions till we get a 60's style tower block that is accepted
Planners accepted the last scheme, and the one before that. Both were arguably worse so I can't see any problem with this one. But if you have any insight into possible planning grounds for refusing permission please let us know.

As to 'snooty Sutton Coldfield' - since when was a desire for well designed architecture 'snooty'? You need to look beyond your own prejudices. Reaction within Sutton, that I have heard and read, is largely favourable.
Salt Peanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1068
Salt Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
…People are fed up with the blight on the site, but don't want anything built that isn't thatched cottages.
Completely untrue.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #1069
djay
Just Incredible

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts View Post
Planners accepted the last scheme, and the one before that. Both were arguably worse so I can't see any problem with this one. But if you have any insight into possible planning grounds for refusing permission please let us know.
If you are objecting to this, what would you like to see built instead?
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1070
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Did you find out anything SBN. It was due to open Spring this year lol.
Sorry mate I've been out of the country for a bit. I didn't actually, no one seems to know anything, or they know things we already know...

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #1071
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

What a view you would get from here...of the gracechurch car park. I'd like to see a nice clad of the car park go up, and make it look a little nicer. Admittedly it's not the most horrible looking car park in the world, but the ramp down and ramp in leave a lot to be desired for.

If the buildings next door to it on Caversham Place I think it is, If they are fine, considering how they tower over the town centre, then this should easily go ahead.

I would say though, these need to be affordable, and this could be a pricey project. There are still flats that havent sold in Sutton Court Hotel for example. £200,000 for a 1 bed flat is far too much. £150,000 should be max.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1072
Salt Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I'm not objecting but nigeman thinks the planners will. I'm curious as to why he thinks that. To repeat, opinion in Sutton (not that it counts for much in the planning process), is largely favourable.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #1073
djay
Just Incredible

Likes (Received): 66

Oh my mistake.
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1074
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:

Completely untrue.
I admit it was exaggerated but Sutton is hardly a place renown for its innovative thinking.

True Citylofts got the OK...but that wasn't without its knockers.

I love Sutton and would for the town centre to thrive, I think the town centre is doing much better now than at any point in the last 10 years. I'd love some more town centre restaurants though (that aren't curry houses)
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #1075
nigeman

Quote:
I'm not objecting but nigeman thinks the planners will. I'm curious as to why he thinks that. To repeat, opinion in Sutton (not that it counts for much in the planning process), is largely favourable.

When you say "opinion in Sutton Coldfield is largely favourable" SP where do you get the "opinion" from? Just curious, if you're right then I'm fine with that and I hope it gets planning permission and even better gets built.
My own opinion around the "snooty" Sutton folk I'll admit is a generalisation on one or two issues namely, the tragedy that became Newhall Walk, when we could have had a Touchwood style development, and then the constant "not in my backyard" objections to housing in Sutton or Walmley greenbelt, build them in the inner city attitude from the delightful MP who as a great relationship with the Met....Do the inner city folk not deserve to have brownbelt land around them turned into open green spaces also, or is it just posh folk with money that are allowed that option?
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #1076
Salt Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

When you say "opinion in Sutton Coldfield is largely favourable" SP where do you get the "opinion" from? Just curious, if you're right then I'm fine with that and I hope it gets planning permission and even better gets built.
My own opinion around the "snooty" Sutton folk I'll admit is a generalisation on one or two issues namely, the tragedy that became Newhall Walk, when we could have had a Touchwood style development, and then the constant "not in my backyard" objections to housing in Sutton or Walmley greenbelt, build them in the inner city attitude from the delightful MP who as a great relationship with the Met....Do the inner city folk not deserve to have brownbelt land around them turned into open green spaces also, or is it just posh folk with money that are allowed that option?
I've only heard favourable comments although there is a letter in the Sutton Observer from someone who thinks the site should be a bus station.

I cannot see that objecting to building on green belt land qualifies you as 'snooty'.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #1077
nigeman

Quote:
I've only heard favourable comments although there is a letter in the Sutton Observer from someone who thinks the site should be a bus station.

I cannot see that objecting to building on green belt land qualifies you as 'snooty'.

Ok, just my political stance clouding my judgement.
This development though if it gets built will be a big plus for Sutton Coldfield.
Sutton town centre itself however really needs a masterplan, its potential, in terms of money drawing power is huge. It as fallen way below its counterpart in the south of Brum (Solihull) in terms of prestige and visitors.
Newhall Walk was and remains a real poor use of prime town centre land. This side of the main pedestrianised street , including the old Sainsbury's centre block for me is prime redevelopment land.