SkyscraperCity Forum banner

xzmattzx's daily Delaware photo

Tags
delaware
1M views 7K replies 134 participants last post by  xzmattzx 
#1 ·
I liked hkskyline's daily photo thread, so I thought I would give it a try. My daily photo thread will only contain pictures of my home state. I have plenty of pictures from around the state of Delaware, so I will be able to showcase several various places.

I will include some brief information on where the picture is from, and will also sometimes include a little bit of history information.

#4,040 ·
May 21

One of Delaware's early engineering marvels are the ice piers surrounding the harbor in New Castle. The piers were constructed to break apart ice floes, which would destroy wooden-hulled ships. Seven piers were built between 1803 and 1882. The piers were a precursor to the much larger breakwaters in Lewes. This particular ice pier was built in 1874.

#4,041 ·
May 22

The Reedy Island Rear Range Lighthouse, on Taylors Bridge Road near Taylors Bridge. The lighthouse was built in 1910, when a new set of range lights for a reconfigured channel was established in 1904. The wooden barn, from 1906, is the only remnant of the lighthouse keeper's quarters. Range lights have been used extensively in Delaware as a method of marking the deepwater shipping channel in the Delaware River. Ships use the range lights by steering the ship towards the lights when the front and rear lights line up on top of each other. The ship then changes course when the next range of lights lines up.

#4,042 ·
May 23

The Wilmington Public Library, on 10th Street across from Rodney Square in Wilmington. The library was built for the Wilmington Institute in 1923, using land donated by Pierre S. du Pont. The library was one of the four anchors surrounding Rodney Square, contributing to the City Beautiful Movement enacted at the turn of the century in the city.

#4,043 ·
May 24

In the median between 2nd Street and Market Street in New Castle is this monument commemorating the New Castle & Frenchtown Railroad. The railroad opened in 1831, and was the first railroad in Delaware, and one of the first in the United States. A ticket office nearby is the second-oldest railroad station in the United States. The monument is made of sleeper stones, used to hold the rails, and has the holes where the rails were held. The monument was dedicated in 1915.

#4,045 ·
May 26

The Allied Kid Building, at 11th & Poplar Streets in Wilmington. The building housed the Allied Kid Leather Company, and was built in 1917. The structure is the proposed home of an African American heritage center.

#4,060 ·
June 9

The Caesar Rodney Equestrian Monument, in Rodney Square in Wilmington. The monument is most famous for being depicted on Delaware's state quarter in 1999. The statue was dedicated in 1922 and was designed by James Edward Kelly, who also designed the William McKinley Memorial on Park Drive, and designed several monuments in Gettysburg National Military Park. The bronze tablets on the base were finished in 1925.

#4,061 ·
June 10

Festival season in Wilmington and New Castle County has begun! The Greek Festival is taking place this weekend at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, on Broom Street in Wilmington. The church was built in 1952 in a Greek Cross plan. The ceiling mosaic is of God Pantocrato, and was redone in 2003 by a Greek artist living in the United States. The church serves parishioners from four states, and even today, has priests who came over from Greece to serve to parish.

#4,062 ·
June 11

The old State House and New Castle County Courthouse, on Delaware Street in New Castle. The central block of the courthouse was built in 1731, replacing a 1689 courthouse that was burned down by an escaping prisoner. The east wing, on the right, was built in 1765, and extended in 1802. The west wing, on the left, was built in 1845, using sleeper stones from the New Castle & Frenchtown Railroad when the foundation was laid in 1840. The building served as the capitol of Delaware until 1777, and as the seat of New Castle County until 1881. It was at this building that Delaware separated from Pennsylvania in 1775.