daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 3D Designs

3D Designs Showcase for your designs done in CAD, SketchUp or other 3D programs

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #801
Dubai Skyscraper
AKAME GA KILL!

Likes (Received): 1977

Sry for the double post but I just felt like dumping some words about the community cities.

Even though I believe we could make a project appealing enough to keep people motivated, I'm struggling with the idea of yet another static, "boring" city. All our projects were basically accumulations of buildings, static objects which can only be rendered in the same state. This is very monochrome and becomes boring after you're rendering that same camera angle for the 10th time.
So, this is one of the reasons why I tried out new ways to experience 3-dimensional worlds. I made models for Cities:Skylines, I worked with Unreal Engine. And, even though there were lots of compromises, I enjoyed the final "product" so much more. Modeling for games simply gives your work a purpose. It becomes more than a static object. It comes to life.
Now I'm only beginning to explore this whole new world. But one thing is for sure, if I was ever to start another community project, it would be related to games in some way. Because 3D models and videogames should go hand in hand

Sponsored Links

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #802
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 795

^Hm, i wanna try that one thing with modeling for cities:skylines... you basically put your own made models into your game ?
Is there a way to create a city in "skylines" with people, like a community project ?
instead of plain "static" images, we could basically create a city where we could "walk" in.. if something like that is possible, i think people would be maybe more motivated to join and to continue till its finished.

Testrender 02

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #803
Dubai Skyscraper
AKAME GA KILL!

C:S as a citybuilder game has fairly simple graphics, so "walking" is not that great. However, you get awesome bird-eye and skyline views. The great thing is that it's all dynamic, and easy to use. Streets, infrastructure, zones are used to create the city, and the game automatically fills them with buildings, cars, people. You can basically make two kinds of buildings, ploppable and growable. Growables have a fairly small size and will be spawned randomly when certain conditions are met. Ploppable buildings can be placed manually, and have hardly any size restriction thanks to modding. I recommend to have a look at the biggest modding community for C:S :

http://community.simtropolis.com/for...en-discussion/
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #804
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 2350

How hard do you think making a city with SSC detail level and exporting it to Unreal Engine to create some kind of city model in which we could actually walk and stuff?

I started playing around with UE a few months ago, but my laptop f*cked up so all my progress there is stalled. Now I only have my outdated Mac
Walter Gropius - Santiago Calatrava - Frank Lloyd Wright - Zaha Hadid - Norman Foster - Efraín Recinos - Frank Ghery - Renzo Piano - Adrian Smith - Mimar Sinan - Le Corbusier - Marshall Strabala - Mies van der Rohe - Kohn Pedersen Fox - Enric Massip Bosch - Tadao Ando - Kazuyo Sejima - Ryue Nishizawa - John Pawson - Alberto Campo Baeza - Horia Creangă - Jean Nouvel - Paulo Mendes da Rocha - Herzog & de Meuron - Peter Zumthor - Snøhetta - Blocher Blocher - McKim, Mead & White

Y.N.W.A. L.F.C
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #805
Dubai Skyscraper
AKAME GA KILL!

It is easier than you think. With the experience I gained from both UE4 (very high detail, perhaps a bit over the top for an entire city) and C:S (low detail but you can simulate a city of millions of people) I could write a guide that explains which techniques we have to use to make efficient models for the best possible performance on all machines. But everyone would have to follow the guide and manage his content, this is where it gets a little tricky. Everyone should learn how to do basic UE4 stuff such as making materials, placing actors and so on. Not that it is hard, but takes some effort.

Fair enough, I think we shouldn't de-rail Mike's thread any further We can continue the discussion either in my UE4 thread or some dead community project

JMGA196, Mike____ liked this post
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #806
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 795

The Northland Center is finished.

Last edited by Mike____; December 9th, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote