daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 4

US Airways and America West to merge

It's been a hot topic for a while in Airliners.net and it was finally confirmed yesterday. I got this e-mail this morning from US Airways and instead of reading Dividend Miles promos, I got this:

Dear JOE PALLON

Because of your loyalty to US Airways, I want to make you aware of an important step our company has taken.
US Airways Group, Inc. and America West Holding Corp. today announced a merger that will expand service, create more choice for our customers, and enhance opportunities for you to earn and redeem Dividend Miles for award travel or upgrades.

The combined airline, which will be called US Airways, will create the first nationwide, full-service, low-cost, low-fare network airline, with service extending from coast-to-coast, as well as Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe. With this merger, we are pioneering a new airline business model that has distinct advantages over other competitors:

Service, network, cost-structure and simplified pricing that you have come to expect; and
Customer amenities such as a world-class frequent flyer program, airport clubs, pre-assigned seating and
First Class upgrades.
Until approval of the merger, a process expected to take several months, it will be business as usual for US Airways and America West customers, and there will be no joint marketing or operations between the two airlines. You should continue to book flights through www.usairways.com, US Airways reservations or your travel agent, check in for flights at US Airways counters and redeem Dividend Miles for flights on US Airways or any of our Star Alliance or frequent flyer program partners.

Upon approval of the merger, we will clearly communicate various customer initiatives, such as combining frequent flyer programs, co-locating airport gates and ticket counters, integrating Internet Web sites, and implementing other sales and marketing enhancements.

We have enclosed answers to a number of questions that you may have. Please be assured that as we move through this exciting process, we will keep you informed of important developments.

A dedicated section of www.usairways.com has been created to provide additional background information about this merger. As this process continues, we will be updating the site regularly.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to seeing you on your next US Airways flight.

Sincerely,

N. Bruce Ashby
Executive Vice President,
Marketing and Planning

Airliners.net: It's official - US Airways / America West to merge
Skyblade no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 20th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 2

Both airlines are shit
Zaqattaq no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3
el tico

Likes (Received):

Let me get this straight, America West and US Airways are going to become "US Airways".

OK, got that.

The only change there will be is painting the America West planes dark blue, doing lots and lots of paper work, moving headquarters to Tempe,...

Basically what'll really change for pasengers is getting used to seeing US Airways planes on both sides of the US, and of course more routes for the "new airline", am I right?

I guess they will keep their actual routes, at least internationaly.

So for example, San José, Costa Rica airport will get US Airways flights from Charlotte, Philladelphia, Fort Lauderdale + Phoenix (currently served by America West).
Or will the Phoenix flights be dropped and pasenges sent to Charlotte on domestic flights and then fly to SJO from there?

Any info on this?

Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

I would assume that all international service will remain and the origin of the flights will stay the same.

These two airlines have very few overlapping flights, so there is very little cost-cutting that can be done. However, America West gets to take on US Airways 6 billion dollar debt, for an undisclosed price. What a fantastic deal!??!
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:36 AM   #5
marathon
Demogaffe

Likes (Received): 0

The merger doesn't move them up the list much among airlines. Separately they were 7th and 8th, combined they surpass Southwest and are sixth, still behind the big 5 of American, United, Delta, Northwest, and Continental.
marathon no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:42 PM   #6
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 353

I think this is pretty cool. I always thought the America West livery was fugly and I love the US Airways Paint Scheme. I hope US Airways thrives after the merger. It would be cool to see.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:37 PM   #7
el tico

Likes (Received):

I liked the America West livery, but change can be good.

Closed Thread