daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 82

VIENNA - 7th District (Neubau)

Quote:
This is my newest picture project.
Lots of people know the sights in Vienna's Inner City yet don't know that there are actually 23 districts in my city.
I am going to portray each and every one of the districts in this series to make you familiar with the Real World Vienna.
NEUBAU - 7th District

Area: 1,61 km²
Pop.: 30.300

Neubau is another "inner" district, quite a trendy one, too. A nice mixture of ethnicities, generations and architecture are the main features of Neubau, together with its lack of greenery (~2%):

Let's start with one of the highlights, the new Central library in the west of the district, between the 7th and 15th districts, straight above a semi-open-air subway line (U6):

The view along the Gürtel, the outer ring road. Right in front of the library, hidden under the roof, there's the tramway station. four lines stop here, connecting to the subway:

Westbahnstraße, facing East:

Kaiserstraße, facing North:

Burggasse, an important throughfare route from the (north-)western districts to the center:

It pays to sneak into some pretty yards, as well:

The district's council, if that's the correct english word for "Amtshaus".

An urban oasis:

Alright, alright, I got it!

Crossing Neubaugasse, facing North:

...facing South:

That greyish thingy in the background is another FLAK tower from WW2:

I really like this one. "Hemp culture" right next to "Disaster Clothing":

My new favorite Viennese square, Ulrichsplatz:

The Spittelberg, Neubau's best known quarter. Am immensely popular spot for dining, drinking and hanging out, all that in a beautiful setting.

Cute!

Can I have all this, please?

Mariahilfer Straße, just to avoid complaints.

The view from the terrace of the restaurant inside the Leiner furniture shop:

The Museumsquartier to the left, the Museum of Natural History (in the first district) to the right.

The Museumsquartier is a former Imperial stable, reused as a modern arts center with a collection of museums, featuring some impressive conteporary architecture,concert venues and "cool" restaurants and bars. Pretty hard to describe it all...

The garden of one of my favorite restaurants in Vienna, the Glacisbeisl:

The Volkstheater, just across the street:

And now, let's go home:

Fire away. I'm eager to read your comments!

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for fuck's sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Bahnsteig4; December 28th, 2007 at 08:12 PM.
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM   #2
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 260

You are doing an excellent presentation of Vienna! A few days ago I was there, but I took almost no photos, knowing that I can always enjoy your shots!
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #3
edubejar

Likes (Received): 22

Great pics of Vienna, a city I've yet to visit.

How does Vienna compare in land area and population with major German cities? Is it closer in size to Berlin or more like secondary cities like Hamburg and Munich?

I went to Berlin last year and it's big area-wise, as well as in population, although its my understanding Berlin could handle a much bigger population, however due to the problems of the last century the population there diminished considerably and now with the lack of jobs it still isn't what it could be in population. Just as an example, Greater Berlin and Greater Paris are ROUGHLY the same size (+- 15% approx) yet Greater Paris has approx. 2x the population than Greater Berlin.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 39

In size, Vienna is quite small. More like Munich I´d say. There are not many suburban communities either, for being a western city.

The population of Vienna is around 1,7 million in the city proper, with suburbs somewhere between 2-2,5 million. Vienna just stopped growing after the collapse of the empire in 1918-1919 (the expulsion of 200000 Jews that lived in the city ´til Anschluss and an other war didn´t help demographics either...)
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #5
edubejar

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
In size, Vienna is quite small. More like Munich I´d say. There are not many suburban communities either, for being a western city.

The population of Vienna is around 1,7 million in the city proper, with suburbs somewhere between 2-2,5 million. Vienna just stopped growing after the collapse of the empire in 1918-1919 (the expulsion of 200000 Jews that lived in the city ´til Anschluss and an other war didn´t help demographics either...)
Interesting. I guess in a way Vienna was affected with problems of the last century like Berlin was, even if I understand Berlin has become a haven for bohemians and artsy people/alternative/young scene, etc, yet that not being enough to lift up a city completely...

What scene would you say Vienna has that stands out or that it's stereotyped to be? I imagine Vienna to be an aging city (population) with old, mainly white people (little diversity), and maybe even stuck in classical music (sorry, but I can't help think of Mozart and classical music when I think of Vienna).

Or what businesses/industries is Vienna particularly known for?
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #6
schmidt

Likes (Received): 45

What a JOB!

Again, in these threads you can actually feel the soul of the city. Vienna looks really cozy some places, but I also like some of its grit, although there is not much, which isnt bad!

Mein Onkel hat mir erzählt, das in Wien man viel Musik hören kann. Ist das wahr?
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
What scene would you say Vienna has that stands out or that it's stereotyped to be? I imagine Vienna to be an aging city (population) with old, mainly white people (little diversity), and maybe even stuck in classical music (sorry, but I can't help think of Mozart and classical music when I think of Vienna).
Up to some point, this is still true. (Fortunately, since these are the things that tourists come for - thousands of them.)
Then again, in some districts, you get this "Kreuzberg" feel of bohemian liberal ethnically diverse lifestyle. (Districts 5-9 for example).
Unfortunately, just like German cities, we've got our share of Turkish ghettos, as well.

Quote:
Tourism, tourism, tourism. Culture (Classical AND Contemporary), biotechnology, and basically everything that happens in Austria, as you might imagine in a 1.6mio city in an 8mio country. (Politics, diplomacy, UN, OPEC)

Old June 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Interesting. I guess in a way Vienna was affected with problems of the last century like Berlin was, even if I understand Berlin has become a haven for bohemians and artsy people/alternative/young scene, etc, yet that not being enough to lift up a city completely...
If you compare Berlin with Vienna, Berlin´s growth stopped with the WW2, while the growth of Vienna halted with WW1. Berlin was still a center of a big country in interwar years, Vienna at the same time stood completely out as a n overdimensioned, modernist fortress in a country where rest of politics were dominated by conservatives.

Vienna of course then didn´t suffer from a wall right through downtown like Berlin after the war, but even if many people from all over Austria moved to Vienna it was not the same as when people from all over the empire came to the city plus all hinterland in Slovakia and Hungary 60 kms from Vienna was cut off due to the cold war.

Quote:

For one thing, Vienna sure is a diverse city and has always been. Almost every Viennese have surnames like Slawik, Nowak, Kapotsky etc, meaning their grand fathers came from what nowadays is Slovakia, Hungary etc. If you enter a random Beisl or Stüberl, you are in some districts more likely to hear a slavic language than German being spoken inside.

I don´t think Vienna has a great aging population, thanks to immigration it now seems that the 2 million population mark will be bypassed somewhere around 2040 (currently 1,7 million live inside city border).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Papa Schlumpf

Likes (Received): 8

Vienna had a population of 2,1 Million 100 years ago and it was among the five biggest cities (populationwise) of the world then. Grotlaufen already mentioned that the collapse of the Austrian empire (many people returned to the follow-up countries) and the two world wars reduced the pop. immensively. At the same time the fastest growth of cities took place in the 20th century - creating often rather poor suburbs (see Paris for example). Because of the aforementioned reasons Vienna did not really participate that much in that development which was not only a negative development I would say. There are estimations that if the Austrian Empire hadn't collapesed the city could have around 9 Million inhabitants today. One can imagine that loads of problems would have gone along with such a rapid growth of pop. Of course, that's a lot of speculation - but one can't find a really big city like London, Paris and Moskau (European standards) in central Europe nowadays as this place was historically "reserved" for Vienna.

And about diversity - Vienna has always been a melting pot. Actually it was the place where the three major European cultural groups: Slavic, Germanic and Romanic (+Hungarians) met and mingled. Today it's of course much influenced from Turkish and former Yugoslavian nationals but there are mentionable sizes of all kind of other nationalities as well to be found here - not to mention the masses of tourists.

BTW, Davidkunz - I really admire your portraits of the Viennese districts! Can't wait to see the next one (even though the bigger size of the missing districts should be rather challenging for you....). Danke!
Papa Schlumpf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #10
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
even though the bigger size of the missing districts should be rather challenging for you....
That's right. I'm really afraid of Donaustadt!
Josefstadt will be quite an easy accomplishment, though.

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 1434

Did you include a little error search game? Find the picture that does not fit in?
Or did you photograph a photo? ... Well, would be also funny

PS:
Great photo journey once more...

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; June 26th, 2007 at 01:19 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Bahnsteig4

^Nope. This was definitely taken in Neubau.

Old June 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #13
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Superb!!!

Great effort
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #14
pdxheel

Likes (Received): 0

Great pictures!!! Keep them coming.
pdxheel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #15
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 4000

interesting pics,i really like Vienna

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #16
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

Brilliant. Vienna is still one of my top 3 cities in the world. Fantastic - I could live there tomorrow.

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 23

Again, great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Did you include a little error search game? Find the picture that does not fit in?
Or did you photograph a photo? ... Well, would be also funny

PS:
Great photo journey once more...
This is Florence right?
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Franzl

Likes (Received): 0

Yes it is Florence. that picture was taken from the delivery-van of an italian restaurant. (I live in Neubau and constantly see it).

@ David: I really enjoyed all of your picture threads and can't wait for more. Sorry for not commenting very often (actually I think I didn't ever comment). Seems like usually I'm really lazy, but this time I just had to impress everybody
Franzl no está en línea   Reply With Quote