search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
lebnani
Libano CinÚphile

Likes (Received): 6

Lebanon on Wikipedia

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I have to credit Elie plus for the fantastic idea of creating this thread. He is one of the active participants in updating Lebanon related topics on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia & Lebanon

We all know that Wikipedia is one of the most frequented sites used to seek basic information on a myriad of topics. It is a fantastic resource to begin to not only understand a topic but also, due to the open participatory nature of the Wikipedia platform, it is also a place to gauge public knowledge about almost anything;including Lebanon. However, because this is usually the starting point of gathering information, it also sometimes serves as offering the first if not only impression of Lebanon, especially those just skimming the web. And this is very detrimental to a country that not only has a skewed reputation in the west, but in general goes unnoticed in the world unless there is a war.

How can you help?
Elie has brought up the issue that the Lebanon Wikipedia page ( or Lebanon Wikiproject) is lagging behind some other countries. He is asking for our help to participate to update current topics, add new pages and help maintaining the Lebanon Wiki project.

I think we all have a strong grasp when speaking about Lebanon, and I know for a fact we all have knowledge about vast array of topics in regard to Lebanon. Whether it be about food, Artists, Singers, their discography, Architecture, key figures in our society, certain events, controversies etc etc. We all can talk expertly about at least one topic, and we can find legitimate sources to back up our claims.

I know we have discussed how it is very hard to find written info on certain topics on the web because our interests can be termed as niche. But we can help solve this, as well as help offering a least a perspective on the many rumors and hearsay that happens about certain events in Lebanon.

LETS Help!

This thread can be considered the Wikipedia branch on SSC.
This is a place to post links to articles and resources, ask for help on topics, place requests for page creation, and general discussion about Wikipedia Lebanon

Resources:
Wikiproject Lebanon
The Main Lebanon Wikiproject page, with tabs for To do list, User registration, Page statistics. as well as a discussion board.
"The glory does not only lie in the fact that I live in the age of Fairouz, but also that I belong to her people. I have no country but her voice, no family but her people and no sun but the moon of her chanting in my heart" - Ounsi el- Hajj
Fairuziat of the Moment

Last edited by lebnani; June 4th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
lebnani no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

I created an account, and Im giving it a try, but the "coding" when creating articles is a bit tricky but Im trying to figure it out
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 27

i already have an account on wikipedia.... i worked on the Saida article there before.... i added charts, paraghraphs, photos..... the page is really great now if u want to check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidon
Other Lebanese cities still need tons of work to do on their pages, the Beirut page is good but it needs a lot of updates !!!!
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Likes (Received): 3

Hey, I expanded the Camille Chamoun Sports City page! I put in all the info I could find on it in its website!

Hope I helped

Tell the Devil that he can go back from where he came, his fire he arrows through their breathing vein, and when the hardest part is over we'll be here, and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..
Young-Modeler2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

I am half way done with a Port of Tripoli article
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #6
LeB.Fr
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

I think that one of the things we should do is updating Lebanon and Beirut's pages in several languages. The English articles are quite complete, but not the French, Spanish, German, Italian, etc. And it would be nice to have info about Lebanon in different languages.
LeB.Fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

My first Wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Tripoli_(Lebanon) (just click on the 'did you mean' thing, the link is being stupid )

Ps: Ellie can you please add this picture to the article

http://i50.************/33k3iq9.jpg (taken by me and its for free use)

and the logo of the port http://i46.************/2m5igsz.jpg

and also there is some information that is not appearing on the table to the right (near the top)
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #8
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Abdalla i uploaded your pics !!!! bas mb3rif iza i posted them in the most suitable place.... anyway u can edit the article and move the code of the pics to wherever u want...
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #9
R9_

Likes (Received): 0

I have been creating and editing Lebanon-related articles for a few years now, almost all of my editing are not in english.
Now lately I have been inserting maps with coordinates that show where the villages in Lebanon are located.

One thing that really needs improvement is the lack of new photos in the wikimedia commons. If you own all rights of photos taken in Lebanon it would be good if you upload them so they can be used in articles.
R9_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYR View Post
Abdalla i uploaded your pics !!!! bas mb3rif iza i posted them in the most suitable place.... anyway u can edit the article and move the code of the pics to wherever u want...
Thanks Martyr There in the right spots
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9_ View Post
I have been creating and editing Lebanon-related articles for a few years now, almost all of my editing are not in english.
Now lately I have been inserting maps with coordinates that show where the villages in Lebanon are located.

One thing that really needs improvement is the lack of new photos in the wikimedia commons. If you own all rights of photos taken in Lebanon it would be good if you upload them so they can be used in articles.
I have a TON of photos, but I dont know how to upload
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #12
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie plus View Post
Abdallah, did you take the pics yourself? if so click on the upload button under "toolbox " to the left side of your screen, below the wikipedia logo, and just click on "my own work " link and from there it's very intuitive.

If you don't hold ownership/permission of the media, do not upload them unless you have proper justification (what they call "fair use").

I fixed a couple minor issues in the article, it's looking great so far, keep up the great work
I did take the photos myself
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
WikiGnome

Likes (Received): 0

Hi elie nice to see you here too, i have reached a dead end with bacchus temple article, the sources are conflicting, it's pointless many sources are new age junk. need your input please
WikiGnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #14
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

what is conflicting? what would you like to know?
melkart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Ramy H

Likes (Received): 32

So I don't know html, coding or whatever you call it.. so I am going to do some tutorials and learn it all.
For the time being I think I am just going to edit large articles, and expand stubs.

So my first one, I know its random, will be Prostitution in Lebanon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Lebanon
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM   #16
-Zippo-
Carburetor (Busy) ▼

Likes (Received): 3

Congratulations Elie...great job on the article, and I know how hard u worked on it...Getting featured by Wikipedia is a well deserved reward for such a piece of art. Am enjoying it at the moment, and learning a lot about our glorious legacy...

Keep it up man...and chapeau bas.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #17
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

WIKIPEDIA Editing Campaign

Some of the Wikipedia articles about Lebanon-related topics are incomplete and just bland. They miss key information and sometimes they even have wrong info & pictures. We should start by pointing out the articles and starting to edit them.
examples:
*Platinum Tower has the wrong picture !!!
* Jounieh article doesn't have a single picture !!
* Beirut is missing an Economy Section, other cities have entire articles dedicated to the city's economy!
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #18
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

here are my only 2 good pictures of the Platinum Tower, you are free to use them for the wikipedia article.

[IMG]http://i56.************/fvl0mb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/k6ec5.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #19
■ops´
--

Likes (Received): 80

Volunteer numero un.
■ops´ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #20
MARTYR
جنوبي حر