search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2017, 04:53 AM   #4521
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Just some minor work is needed. The New York City subway is still the best rapid transit system in the world.
I love our subway system (24/7 access, the # of stations, the nostalgia and iconography) but this a delusional statement. That honor would probably go to Tokyo or Seoul or something. Even if our subway weren't crumbling, it still wouldn't match the cleanliness or ease of use that other systems have. The only way to improve is to admit there are serious problems.

Mascabrother liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:03 AM   #4522
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 558

R42 M Shuttle Service between Metropolitan and Myrtle-Wyckoff for the next 8 months:

dimlys1994, bd popeye, nylkoorB, carl_Alm liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #4523
Mascabrother

Likes (Received): 8319

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Just some minor work is needed. The New York City subway is still the best rapid transit system in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
..and how many of those systems operate their metros 24/7/365? Just asking. I do know the answer.
And even the 24/7 service is mediocre. Some lines don't operate at all during the night.
Mascabrother no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #4524
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5191

The newly renovated station was leaking from day one LOL.

The MTA cannot do anything right. Six months later and it still looks like crap.

Reopening of 53rd St ESI Station by Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, on Flickr

Reopening of 53rd St ESI Station by Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, on Flickr

Falubaz, carl_Alm liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #4525
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10361

Ok.. all you persons that love to hate on the NYC Subway..how would you fix it? And where would you get the Billions of $$$ to fix the NYC subway? What would be your first priority?

Thank you!

Quote:
And even the 24/7 service is mediocre. Some lines don't operate at all during the night.
Better than no service as is the case with most metro systems in the World...

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Todays United States Navy (photos & discussion) | SSC

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

nylkoorB, Fabio1976, BigB1967 liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #4526
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1500

Are you sure that's not just from washing the floor?
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #4527
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5639

Uh, just fund it and repair it. But it should be obvious by now that your government (structure) is incompetent. Most countries have a general taxed budget and divide that according to expenditures. Not sure how it works in NY, but many counties and states in the US have a seperate tax for everything. New transport project? Better make a new tax district. Great for the democratic process, only it means that barely anything gets done. And then there's the ridiculously populistic politicians and two party system who can never agree on doing things for the common good and make sure long-term projects (renovating the subway) have become extremely cumbersome.

Nobody's hating on the NYC Subway. Most people know it's the victim of politics. But pointing out its faults and deficiencies is realistic. Denying them is what's dangerous and is how terrible state of repair like this is able to happen in the first place. You should by all means compare to the best systems in the world, strive for the best. Otherwise no progress.
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #4528
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Are you sure that's not just from washing the floor?
Yeah. Pretty sure it's from [attempting to] wash away some of the residue from the grout?

The entire platform was wet in early pics...

nylkoorB liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4529
Danton05

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Ok.. all you persons that love to hate on the NYC Subway..how would you fix it? And where would you get the Billions of $$$ to fix the NYC subway? What would be your first priority?

Thank you!

I dont think it's about money. New York has money to built insanely expensive line expansions that would never have been built anywhere else in the world.

Disband the MTA, which is beyond dysfunctional, and outsource the operation of the system to people that know what they're doing. MTR is running the Stockholm subway for example.

Mascabrother liked this post
Danton05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:52 AM   #4530
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10361

Thanks to all for the response. I don't have a solution because until the people controlling the money can settle their differences..well the situation will remain mangled.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Todays United States Navy (photos & discussion) | SSC

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:59 AM   #4531
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The newly renovated station was leaking from day one LOL.

The MTA cannot do anything right. Six months later and it still looks like crap.
Not sure if you're joking or not, but you do realize that's from the workers washing the floor right? Leaks don't look like that. Leaks have localized puddles and aren't a small coating like that. Plus it hasn't rained in NY for about a week or so.
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #4532
browntown

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:

Thank you!

The problem isn't not having enough money, it's the shitty management and absurd union agreements. Not just the subway either, all infrastructure in the NorthEast is a shit show because of the corruption and paying union workers $100/hr to work slow as molasses. I'm sure if you look at the maintenance costs per rider in NYC compared to other major metros you will see there is more than enough money, most likely you will see NYC pays FAR more than others despite getting less.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:28 AM   #4533
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascabrother View Post
This is false, unless you're mixing up the terms "line" and "service". A service is the number or letter name of the train (ex: A train, G train, 7 train, etc.)
Not to be confused with a line, which some examples would be the Broadway line (NQRW) and the Astoria line (NW). So for example the N train is a service which runs on the Astoria line (NW) in Queens, the Broadway line (NQRW) in Manhattan, before going to Brooklyn where it runs on the 4th avenue line (DNR), and finally the Sea Beach line (just the N).

So all lines and all stations do stay open 24/7, but not all services do. For example the Sixth avenue line (BDFM) in Manhattan stays fully open, but the B and M services are cut back overnight, so at night it's just the DF. I hope that clears things up.

mrsmartman, bd popeye, Fabio1976 liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #4534
Danton05

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
The problem isn't not having enough money, it's the shitty management and absurd union agreements. Not just the subway either, all infrastructure in the NorthEast is a shit show because of the corruption and paying union workers $100/hr to work slow as molasses. I'm sure if you look at the maintenance costs per rider in NYC compared to other major metros you will see there is more than enough money, most likely you will see NYC pays FAR more than others despite getting less.
The planning might be the worst. NJTR, LIRR and Metro-North should obviously be combined to produce some kind of RER/S-bahn-system that runs frequently through the centre of New York.

Instead they're spending $10bn and counting on building another teminus under Grand Central Station for East Side Access and will be spending $30+bn to have more trains terminate at Penn Station with the Gateway Program. All to create a small amount of tunnels.

It's insane. They should be building 2-3 Crossrails for that money.

marciomaco liked this post

Last edited by Danton05; September 12th, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #4535
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danton05 View Post
The planning might be the worst. NJTR, LIRR and Metro-North should obviously be combined to produce some kind of RER/S-bahn-system that runs frequently through the centre of New York.

Instead they're spending $10bn and counting on building another teminus under Grand Central Station for East Side Access and will be spending $30+bn to have more trains terminate at Penn Station with the Gateway Program. All to create a small amount of tunnels.

It's insane. They should be building 2-3 Crossrails for that money.
Not that this is the right thread, but the three commuter rail systems answer to different political bodies and have different technical specifications.

Besides, most traffic is headed to Manhattan anyways.

mrsmartman liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #4536
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 274

Is it possible to tunnel a transfer from the lower mezzanine of Lex/63 to the IRT express platforms of Lex/59?

Such a transfer would probably be signed only for the 4/5 (maybe 6 as well), with a note that if you want the NRW you can take the Q and change at 57/7th.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #4537
Danton05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Not that this is the right thread, but the three commuter rail systems answer to different political bodies and have different technical specifications.
Well, that does seem like terrible planning, doesnt it? How much money could have been saved on East Side Access if MTA owned LIRR and Metro-North could share some of the 44 existing platform at Grand Central instead of digging new ones beneath them?

Obviously it would have been easier if it had been done a long time ago, but it'll still be better to start reforming now than at some point in the future.

Quote:
Besides, most traffic is headed to Manhattan anyways.
Sure, and most traffic is headed to central London/Paris/Munich too, but through-running Crossrail/RER/S-bahn lines still offer much better capacity and service and do so cheaper.
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #4538
Mascabrother

I didn't know people in SSC get checks to defend the MTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
This is false, unless you're mixing up the terms "line" and "service". A service is the number or letter name of the train (ex: A train, G train, 7 train, etc.)
Not to be confused with a line, which some examples would be the Broadway line (NQRW) and the Astoria line (NW). So for example the N train is a service which runs on the Astoria line (NW) in Queens, the Broadway line (NQRW) in Manhattan, before going to Brooklyn where it runs on the 4th avenue line (DNR), and finally the Sea Beach line (just the N).

So all lines and all stations do stay open 24/7, but not all services do. For example the Sixth avenue line (BDFM) in Manhattan stays fully open, but the B and M services are cut back overnight, so at night it's just the DF. I hope that clears things up.
New York’s Subways Are Not Just
Delayed. Some Trains Don’t Run at All.

Many of the problems afflicting the subway have already been chronicled by The Times, including an antiquated signal system, severe overcrowding and trains that are breaking down at a much higher rate than in the past. The cancellation of trains at times of peak demand is in many ways intertwined with some of those other challenges.
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #4539
Mascabrother

In other News...

The MTA created a mock-up of a new subway car with an open gangway design and no doors between cars. (DAN RIVOLI/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS).
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #4540
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascabrother View Post
I didn't know people in SSC get checks to defend the MTA.
Believe me, I do my fair share of complaining about the MTA when they deserve it, and they do deserve a LOT of it as there are many problems with the MTA. I do not work for the MTA and I have no ulterior motives. The claim that not all lines run at night is false. Another person tried to post pictures of workers mopping the floor and pretend that they were leaks — and on a dry day too. I wish the MTA paid me to point out blatantly false claims on the internet, but they don't.

I guess the fact that I don't feel the need to complain and make up false claims and non-existent issues makes me a shill. If you really want to complain that badly, then why not complain about a real issue that actually exists? There are plenty and I never denied that.

Oh, shoot! There goes my MTA check right there...

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway