search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #141
henchman

Likes (Received): 320

I think its because of the height restrictions in bkc. Like we can see in case of reliance convention center, they are starting their building deeper into the ground to use up the FSI, and going so much deeper might be an issue for the bullet train. Just on thought i had. But i think the point of contention for the MH govt is that they have to pay equivalent amount as GJ but aren't getting much benefit out of it

Arjun_M, patel2897, PrimusUrbisIndis liked this post
henchman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #142
PrimusUrbisIndis

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman View Post
I think its because of the height restrictions in bkc. Like we can see in case of reliance convention center, they are starting their building deeper into the ground to use up the FSI, and going so much deeper might be an issue for the bullet train. Just on thought i had. But i think the point of contention for the MH govt is that they have to pay equivalent amount as GJ but aren't getting much benefit out of it
I think its high time Modi twist the arms of those who are putting unnecessary impediments with frivolous excuses...being a terminus, Mumbai's dividend from such a project is expected to be much higher than any of the intermediate stations...This is like NYC refusing to build Penn Stn, because most of the Amtrak/Acela traffic anyways goes outside metropolitan limits!!!

PM Modi, Shinzo Abe to lay foundation stone for bullet train project on Thursday

Quote:
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe will lay the foundation stone for the proposed Ahmedabad-Mumbai High Speed Rail Network, commonly known as the bullet train, on 14 September in the Gujarat city, railway officials said on Saturday.

The bullet train, which has a capacity to accommodate 750 people, is expected to reduce travel time between the two cities from seven to three hours. A sum of around Rs1.10 trillion will be spent on the project that is being partially funded by Japan. The target for its completion is December 2023, though officials say there are indications that the government may seek an earlier deadline of 2022.

The train will stop at each of the 12 railway stations on the route, but only for 165 seconds. A 21-km-long tunnel will be dug between Boisar and BKC in Mumbai, of which 7km will be under water. The entire line will be at an elevation of around 20 m which will reduce land acquisition.
After the laying of the foundation stone, an investment summit will also be held between the Indian side and a Japanese delegation comprising representatives from Japan External Trade Organisation (JETRO) and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
...and the KO finally is happening!!!

patel2897, GujuartiSainik liked this post
PrimusUrbisIndis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #143
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Likes (Received): 9661

I thought there were 2 variants of service? One express service with only 2 halts at Baroda and Surat (2 hours) and the normal one with all halts (3 hours). Its better they do it in this way.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #144
pbengani

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi.rushabh1992 View Post
I thought there were 2 variants of service? One express service with only 2 halts at Baroda and Surat (2 hours) and the normal one with all halts (3 hours). Its better they do it in this way.
This is correct. Read news that the train would take 2 hr. 8 min. With 2 stoppages Vadodara and Surat.

And 2 hr. 58 min. With all 12 stoppages.
pbengani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #145
chimbs86

Likes (Received): 218

I still dont get why bkc was chosen as the financial center. The lower FSI will definitely stunt growth in the future. You would think, if they wanted it to be an alternative to downtown, they would think of something where they can go vertical, away from the airport and everything else. They are doing the same mistake in navi mumbai, building everything near the airport
chimbs86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #146
jinka sreekanth

Likes (Received): 7824

India’s first bullet train project set for take*off

ambitious bullet train project is at the take-off stage, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe scheduled to lay the foundation stone of the 508-km Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR) on September 14 in Ahmedabad.

Women walk past a billboard featuring Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ahead of Abe’s visit, in Ahmedabad, on Monday.
Once complete (scheduled in December 2023, but commencement date sought to be advanced to August 2022), the train – travelling at a top speed of 350 kilometres per hour – will reduce travel time between the two cities to around two hours from the existing seven to eight.
“The project will integrate the Indian Railways to global transportation technology and help rewrite India’s transport infrastructure narrative,” railway minister Piyush Goyal said.
“Unfortunately, Indian railways have not graduated from the colonial-era technologies and practices in past four or five decades. Exposure to the high speed technology (popularly called the bullet trains) will enable rail engineers in India to innovate and modernise systems and practices,” Goyal said.
Goyal emphasised that funding had come from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) at a low rate of interest — 0.1% per annum.
“The project will also enable creation of around 15 lakh jobs,” the minister said, adding that passenger fares on the premium train were likely to be lower than the air fares between the two cities.
A feasibility study for the MAHSR was undertaken by Japanese consultants in December 2013 and report submitted in July 2015. The project was sanctioned by the Union Cabinet in December 2015.
The high-speed rail network, where trains run at a speed in excess of 250 kmph, is available in 15 countries, with India being the lone exception among major passenger railway systems not to have one.
“This bullet train is an endeavour to bring economic growth and prosperity in the country. New Shinkansen Technology by the Japanese shall ensure more growth opportunities (for the Indian Railways). This is an occasion to celebrate the advent of the most modern technology in India,” Goyal said.
Railway board chairman Ashwani Lohani said the “Centre’s astuteness in securing favourable deals through innovative financing, and efficient implementation stands out in this case. The bullet train will come to India almost for free”.
On plans to set up a HSR training institute in Vadodara, Lohani said the Centre would provide equipment, ancillary facilities, and trained personnel, emulating the institute in Japan.
“The setting up of the institute signifies the government’s intent towards creating an indigenous workforce for bullet trains, "he said.

Ht epaper

Last edited by jinka sreekanth; September 12th, 2017 at 04:24 AM.
jinka sreekanth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #147
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

2 stops in Ahmedabad. Terminal at Sabarmati and first halt at Kalupur, next to platform 12 of Ahmedabad Central Station, coincidentally also the location for the underground metro station of Ahmedabad Metro phase 1. Golden opportunity to convert it into a multi-modal hub with BRTS, AMTS and GSRTC also operating from there.

Makes me think the bullet will follow the IR track alignment throughout the city (~16 kms) since both the stations are also IR stations and I dont see sufficient space for an elevated track in the city's south and central areas, which are densely populated.

Interesting to see how they manage to squeeze in the HSR as well as a third track between Kalupur and Vatva (South Ahmedabad) for which construction is going on at the moment.

patel2897 liked this post
gandhi.rushabh1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:24 AM   #148
PrimusUrbisIndis

One more day's wait!!!

Btw, can someone confirm which model of trainset is being considered for this line??? Earlier I heard they were using E5, but now I am seeing reports of E3 being used - E3 is an obsolete technology!!! I would be very surprised if Japan decides to dump obsolete tech on India...this is something I would expect the Chinese to do...

Crazy Traveler liked this post
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #149
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Till now all sources are pointing towards the E-5 model only. The other in contention was, IIRC, N-700.

They have really gone out of their way to welcome Abe in Ahmedabad.
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #150
rishav371

Likes (Received): 297

so can we expect construction to start from early 2018 as the government is seeking an earlier deadline ?
rishav371 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #151
Arjun_M

Likes (Received): 196

N700 or the cost-effective 700 would help us more, as that's cost less to run and carry 50-60% more passengers. E5 is a very hi-tech formation built for speed as high as 320 km/h.
Arjun_M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #152
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Well they are targeting 320 kmph only. Only then can the distance of 500 kms be covered in 2 hours. What is the operating speed of N-700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishav371 View Post
so can we expect construction to start from early 2018 as the government is seeking an earlier deadline ?
August 2022 is what they are planning to coincide with the 75th Independence Day. Maybe a short stretch between BKC to Thane can be prepared for flagging off. To mark the beginning of a new generation in IR since IR itself started with the launching of the same section way back in 1853 (Boree Bunder to Thane).

rishav371 liked this post
gandhi.rushabh1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #153
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3455

Quote:
Well they are targeting 320 kmph only. Only then can the distance of 500 kms be covered in 2 hours. What is the operating speed of N-700?

August 2022 is what they are planning to coincide with the 75th Independence Day. Maybe a short stretch between BKC to Thane can be prepared for flagging off. To mark the beginning of a new generation in IR since IR itself started with the launching of the same section way back in 1853 (Boree Bunder to Thane).
N700 operating speed is maximum speed of 300 km/h.
and E5 series that will going to be operating on mumbai Ahmedabad bullet train line operating speed is 320 km/h.
All info Here scroll down to ''List of train models'' :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinkansen
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #154
Arjun_M

N700 series: Maximum speed 285-300 km/h. Motor power 409 HP. Traction distribution over 87.5% axles for 16 coaches.

700 series: Maximum speed 270-285 km/h. Motor power 370 HP. Traction distribution over 75% axles.
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #155
PrimusUrbisIndis

Keeping with the topic of Shinkansen, its just such an irony that Japan started innovating (or at least the results of those innovations started showing, which led to more innovations) on Shinkansen design, just when Japan was sliding into an extended economic decline!!! Hope this investment will help boost the fortunes of both countries...
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #156
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Just a factoid: For the E5, assuming a max/rated acceleration/deceleration of 0.48 m/s^2, and a distance of 508 km, the cruise speed should be 300 kmph to cover the distance in precisely 2 hours (fast service, with 2 intermediate stoppages of 5 mins each)...

The N700 has a more powerful and efficient traction system (power o/p of 22900 HP vs 12870 HP for the E5), with an acceleration/deceleration profile of 0.72 m/s^2 (max/rated), meaning that it can cover the same distance in 2 hrs at a cruise speed of 291 kmph...

Additionally, the Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo-Osaka) has a similar distance profile, and runs on the N700. Perhaps, this should be an indication of which model ought to be preferred for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route...

Indtrans, gandhi.rushabh1992, Arjun_M liked this post

Last edited by PrimusUrbisIndis; September 13th, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #157
Arjun_M

Why E5 was chosen over N700, we're unsure. Maybe they expected the entire demand to be fulfilled by just 10 coaches a rake, since the frequency will be high. It's not like one rake every 8 hours. The E5 is fully covered possibly because it runs in snowy areas in winter.

We wonder what aspects of this train can be reverse-engineered into our existing railway, under the Transfer of Technology clause. The in-cab signalling will be most useful, reducing distance blocks. The techniques of maintaining tracks will also help- when there's enough time for it. Aluminium shell construction can help too, in the absence of any action in/on the proposed aluminium coach factory. By a long shot, the mechanical one-degree tilt can be of some use somewhere.

RONGHOSH77 liked this post
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #158
PrimusUrbisIndis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun_M View Post
We wonder what aspects of this train can be reverse-engineered into our existing railway, under the Transfer of Technology clause. The in-cab signalling will be most useful, reducing distance blocks. The techniques of maintaining tracks will also help- when there's enough time for it. Aluminium shell construction can help too, in the absence of any action in/on the proposed aluminium coach factory. By a long shot, the mechanical one-degree tilt can be of some use somewhere.
Hope they are able to use bits and pieces of the ToT in other places within the IR system in a more efficient manner...Indian experience with such ToTs have not been very helpful. Hell, even LHB had some good stuff, but I don't think they have been able to utilize them in regular "desi" coaches...even the Tata's acquisition of JLR could not have a salubrious "rub-off" effect on their regular designs...
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #159
Arjun_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusUrbisIndis View Post
Hope they are able to use bits and pieces of the ToT in other places within the IR system in a more efficient manner...Indian experience with such ToTs have not been very helpful. Hell, even LHB had some good stuff, but I don't think they have been able to utilize them in regular "desi" coaches...even the Tata's acquisition of JLR could not have a salubrious "rub-off" effect on their regular designs...
I do believe the present Government does these tasks differently. We now have a hard taskmaster in the Ministry, and a Chairman of Railway Board who can get the tasks done. LHB parts don't fit in vintage ICF coaches. WAP-5 supply chain was out of control of CLW. Much of the innovations that make sense such as intercity EMU and dual-mode locomotive happened only in the last three years. The biggest innovation we've seen from an Indian railway company is the new Kolkata Metro train.

We don't have track technology, in-cab signalling, aluminium coach construction, compact transformers or synchronous motors. We can't keep buying them. We need T-T here.
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #160
Jeffery

Likes (Received): 126

I am going to have to cast the vote of dissent on this forum here. I disagree with this project. $17 billion is too much money to be spending on a bullet train in India when the government cannot provide basic services like basic health and education and proper waste disposal and drainage system for cities like Bombay because of the excuse "we don't have enough resources". I do understand that this project is not slated for completion until 2022 but having said that, it's not clear that the government wants to provide basic services to everyone by 2022. This is just a pink elephant project. They just want to thump their empty chests. This is not unprecedented in the history of India - Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal while millions starved.

There is something fundamentally wrong here - past Indian governments (I.e. Congress) have failed India in providing basic services. We were told that the new BJP was going to provide "good governance" but this is anything but. Lets stop these foolish projects like bullets train and statues of Sardar Patel and Shivaji and spend those billions on things which will actually help India in the long run - health, education, and other basic services. I've also lost a lot of respect for Japan for going along with this.
Jeffery no está en línea   Reply With Quote