search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #15541
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Good point! By combining the 86 acre Apple site in North S.J. with the Steelwave site & the Peery Arrillaga Brokaw Rd. site, the total amount of land comes out to 143 acres, plenty enough land to build out 8 million sq. ft. of offices.

But, it may be too late as the New York Times has preordained the winner of this sweepstakes: Denver, Co. The San Jose Metro made the top 14 cut in the N.Y. Times selection process.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html
wasn't the NSJ apple land entitled for 5MM+ sqft? without even re-entitling that land, there's definitely adjacent parcels that could be bought and re-developed to add the additional capacity necessary for 8MM sqft. i'm not so sure how willing apple would be to give up that prime land though, especially to another tech company that will directly compete with them in the labor pool. regardless, san jose should put up that land as an option in their bid to amazon.

most of these pre-rankings done by the media are forgetting one thing: even though sf and sj are statistically two separate metros, they really are one combined super metro. the only downside is the cost of living. within 10 years, that should all change with HSR, capitol corridor extension to monterey, and ACE improvements. those open up large affordable areas within 1 hour train rides from dtsj. amazon is smart enough to consider these things. they may not ultimately choose the bay area, but we're going to finish a lot higher than all of these media outlets are currently giving us credit for.

aphelion2100 liked this post
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #15542
SanJoseBorn

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
wasn't the NSJ apple land entitled for 5MM+ sqft? without even re-entitling that land, there's definitely adjacent parcels that could be bought and re-developed to add the additional capacity necessary for 8MM sqft. i'm not so sure how willing apple would be to give up that prime land though, especially to another tech company that will directly compete with them in the labor pool. regardless, san jose should put up that land as an option in their bid to amazon.

most of these pre-rankings done by the media are forgetting one thing: even though sf and sj are statistically two separate metros, they really are one combined super metro. the only downside is the cost of living. within 10 years, that should all change with HSR, capitol corridor extension to monterey, and ACE improvements. those open up large affordable areas within 1 hour train rides from dtsj. amazon is smart enough to consider these things. they may not ultimately choose the bay area, but we're going to finish a lot higher than all of these media outlets are currently giving us credit for.

You're a good poster (not that you're seeking any such affirmation from me in the first place) and, in general, I get where you're coming from here. While additional modes of mass-transit will surely benefit the whole (Bay) area, to think that those fixed rail projects will be a magic bullet (no pun intended) and the concomitant Cost of Living will somehow "all change" is, well, a pretty crazy conclusion to draw. The COL built into this area is vastly more complicated that some additional strategically placed mass transit options. As welcome as those transit projects/developments may be, all come with limited capacity for an area approaching 2 million people. Mind you, this number only refers to Santa Clara County population alone, let alone factoring in neighboring counties ()which pushed us close to 7 million). Honestly, I don't mean to be rude with that comment, but it just seems pretty far "out there."

Beyond that, IMO, the run-of-the-mill Amazon worker is not going to want to commute from far away, just so they can afford more house. In general, my guess is that they will do well enough (financially) to live closer than, for example, those who "have" to live in far-flung, more affordable places like the Central Valley, etc.

And don't forget we're talking 50k Amazon workers here. Caltrain alone already only handles 62k daily riders (source: Wiki). Where are you going to put all of these extra workers that decide to take "public transportation?" Once electrified, Caltrain capacity will increase, but not to the extent that it can handle all of those workers. Also, I think it's a huge stretch to think that a large percentage of said workers: (i) would even be taking Caltrain or HSR or Amtrak in the first place; and (ii) if they were so inclined, whether there'd ever (remotely) be enough rail-corridor housing available for those workers/riders workers.

Again, the benefit to having more modes of public transportation able to service areas extending beyond the Valley and also the Peninsula, etc., will be very real, but not nearly to the extent you're suggesting here. In fact, I imagine the expected population growth rate of the larger area over the next 20 years will capsize many of the gains made with rail improvements.
SanJoseBorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #15543
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseBorn View Post
You're a good poster (not that you're seeking any such affirmation from me in the first place) and, in general, I get where you're coming from here. While additional modes of mass-transit will surely benefit the whole (Bay) area, to think that those fixed rail projects will be a magic bullet (no pun intended) and the concomitant Cost of Living will somehow "all change" is, well, a pretty crazy conclusion to draw. The COL built into this area is vastly more complicated that some additional strategically placed mass transit options. As welcome as those transit projects/developments may be, all come with limited capacity for an area approaching 2 million people. Mind you, this number only refers to Santa Clara County population alone, let alone factoring in neighboring counties ()which pushed us close to 7 million). Honestly, I don't mean to be rude with that comment, but it just seems pretty far "out there."

Beyond that, IMO, the run-of-the-mill Amazon worker is not going to want to commute from far away, just so they can afford more house. In general, my guess is that they will do well enough (financially) to live closer than, for example, those who "have" to live in far-flung, more affordable places like the Central Valley, etc.

And don't forget we're talking 50k Amazon workers here. Caltrain alone already only handles 62k daily riders (source: Wiki). Where are you going to put all of these extra workers that decide to take "public transportation?" Once electrified, Caltrain capacity will increase, but not to the extent that it can handle all of those workers. Also, I think it's a huge stretch to think that a large percentage of said workers: (i) would even be taking Caltrain or HSR or Amtrak in the first place; and (ii) if they were so inclined, whether there'd ever (remotely) be enough rail-corridor housing available for those workers/riders workers.

Again, the benefit to having more modes of public transportation able to service areas extending beyond the Valley and also the Peninsula, etc., will be very real, but not nearly to the extent you're suggesting here. In fact, I imagine the expected population growth rate of the larger area over the next 20 years will capsize many of the gains made with rail improvements.
to say all of the 50K new employees would take a single form of transit is somewhat naive. there is rarely a system on earth that could easily absorb 50k new daily riders on the same line without major upgrades. amazonians? that don't drive to work would spread fairly evenly among transit already in place. for san jose, there's plenty of options: those that choose to live locally near a vta line have that option, peninsula=caltrain, east bay=bart, tracy=ace, etc.

the reason i point out the upgrades is that it gives the family oriented employee more options for a more cost effective lifestyle. for the employees that want an urban lifestyle, a high end downtown apartment or condo in boston, denver, or austin are similarly priced to comparable units in san jose. most of the other cities consistently ranked near the top of this competition are getting a leg up by these journalists because their suburbs are cheaper. those rail links and what is already in place level the playing field.
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #15544
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 485

SanJoseBorn, my quick response is that we already have a high number of super-commuters. Many of those are if middle incomes. If we can get regional mass transit right by making it convenient (fast enough and highly frequent) and reliable, people would shift modes.

I'm not on board with the expense if that idea, but the underlying logic already plays out in one way or another.

It is, however, worth considering the capacity of these systems.
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #15545
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 443

In case you're wondering what Dirt Patch is up to, he's now posting on the San Jose Blog:

http://www.thesanjoseblog.com/2017/0...l#comment-form

Quote:
Dirt Patch AKASeptember 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Add another one: The Graduate breaks ground on Oct. 4, 2017!
I guess he's now a believer!

Sandmannn liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #15546
sjn

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
In case you're wondering what Dirt Patch is up to, he's now posting on the San Jose Blog:

http://www.thesanjoseblog.com/2017/0...l#comment-form

I guess he's now a believer!
Better there than here. Though, please don’t bother crossposting him, he was suspended / banned for a reason

CTA25, bobby_guz_man liked this post

Last edited by sjn; September 12th, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
sjn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #15547
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
Better there than here. Though, please don’t bother crossposting him, he was suspended / banned for a reason
Since your post is related to DP, I am compelled to point out that you are lacking the required number of dancing bananas. I believe by our former tormentor's standards, 20 dancing bananas is minimum, though the more the better. Also an equal number of should also be displayed, and, as usual, the more the better.

So, to hammer home the point:

sjn, CTA25, JoshuaSantos liked this post
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #15548
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 459

PS: I'm sure I've missed a few dancing bananas, bite me
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #15549
quadshock

Likes (Received): 423

Can we just stop referencing DP?
Old September 13th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #15550
aphelion2100

September 2017 - DTSJ Construction Brief

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/40322

quadshock, gillynova liked this post
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #15551
MetropolisMayorII

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Poor Josh ...
MetropolisMayorII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #15552
pesto

Likes (Received): 3028

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
Can we just stop referencing DP?
This is it you always try to disagree but I'm right every time. Name one building ever started anywhere.

Already every builder conspire to kill SJ But SJ anyway next generation greatest Silicon Valley builder complete best cities in world better than NY, LA, Omaha, Prescott.

Remember I said it 20 years before.

JoshuaSantos liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #15553
aphelion2100

SJDA - September 2017 Update on downtown projects

http://sjdowntown.com/boom-city/

Some of the highlights:

Quote:
The City Council granted a construction tax waiver to Trammell Crow for getting its first building permit by spring 2017. The $4 million incentive will happen if the developer completes its project on the SJ Water site by Dec. 31, 2019. However, ground has not yet broken on construction.
Quote:
As of Aug. 29, The Museum Place project at Park and Almaden avenues has a timeline, with the city and developer Insight King Wah LLC agreeing to complete the mixed-use office (263,676 square feet of office), residential, hotel, Tech museum expansion and parking project by 2023.
HOTELS

Quote:
The total number of hotel rooms downtown could spike 30 percent if several projects are built out. -----If built, the total uptick of about 700 rooms would bring the number of rooms available in downtown San Jose to more than 2,850.
HOUSING

Quote:
In December 2016, the City Council extended the 50 percent reduction in construction taxes and parkland fees to developers who begin construction before July 2018. The City Council will consider four projects – SJSC Towers, ParkView Towers, North San Pedro Tower and The Graduate for the housing incentive on Oct. 3.

• Platinum Towers/Greyhound site by KT Urban, 708 units, two towers, 24 and 23 stories. Interior work has begun demolishing the former bus terminal.

• SJ Water Co. site by Trammell Crow and Bentall Kennedy, 325 units. City incentive to complete construction by Dec. 31, 2019, is on the table

The Graduate, 300 S. Second St. (student housing) by Barry Swenson Builder and Amcal, 260 units. Set to break ground in October.

• Parkview Towers by Full Power Properties on the north side of St. James Park, 220 units. Construction fences are up on the site.

• SparQ, 598 S. First St., by CORE Companies, 105 units. Enterprise car sales/rentals has moved from the site, demolition and site clearing to commence Sept. 11.

RETAIL

Most new housing and office buildings proposed include retail components on the ground floors. Retail square footage proposed for all development is more than 250,000 square feet (sf).
250,000 sq.ft. of retail is the size of a very large shopping center. Things are looking up for DTSJ.

Dirk_Birkin, DarkEconomist, nerdymark liked this post
Old September 13th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #15554
aphelion2100

This report sounds like Boston might have the winning edge in attracting Amazon due to having Harvard & MIT in its backyard. It seems that Amazon will be looking at recruiting students with a strong A.I. technology background --the bleeding edge future of hi-tech.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-headquarters
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #15555
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
Quote:
missing from both these reports is the cantilevered high rise addition to the montgomery hotel. it was one of the more exciting additions in my opinion. does anyone know what happened to that proposal? was it killed by pacsj and the fairmont annex? or just shelved by developers?
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #15556
sjn

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
missing from both these reports is the cantilevered high rise addition to the montgomery hotel. it was one of the more exciting additions in my opinion. does anyone know what happened to that proposal? was it killed by pacsj and the fairmont annex? or just shelved by developers?

I believe it was put back to the drawing board / vaporwared after the city decided not to allow the hotel to use 1st. St. as their entrance lobby. Hard to imagine where else they’d put it, as the lot is incredibly tiny, but yeah.
sjn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #15557
siliconvalleyjoe

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
I believe it was put back to the drawing board / vaporwared after the city decided not to allow the hotel to use 1st. St. as their entrance lobby. Hard to imagine where else they’d put it, as the lot is incredibly tiny, but yeah.
Just as well. Just looking at the rendering gave me the creeps. Half the floor area was cantilevered over another building 20 floors up. In earthquake territory..... Find a real lot to build on and make a real hotel. Like right next door.

sjn, rickupton liked this post
siliconvalleyjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #15558
aphelion2100

Quote:
The SJDA article mentions the Tribute Hotel as follows:

Quote:
Khanna Enterprises, which owns the Sheraton Four Points on First Street, wants to construct a 21-story, cantilevered tower over the original 1911 Montgomery Hotel frame. The plans by TCA Architects submitted in May call for an additional 280 guest rooms rising 245 feet, with a roof-top bar, pool and fitness center. The unusual design suggests that the first six floors form the base and floors 7-21 extend slightly over the existing historic structure.

The new part of the future Tribute hotel would face south and be covered in glass. The old 86-room hotel is 187 feet south of its original location. The city’s Redevelopment Agency paid $8.6 million to move the structure in 2000 to make way for the Fairmont Hotel annex. Khanna obtained the property from Joie de Vivre Hotels in 2008.
The S.J. Planning Dept. had the following comment about the issue of dropping off passengers at this proposed hotel.

Quote:
Planning advised applicant that it does not support modifying existing public transit mall for guest drop off. Guest drop off and vehicle circulation must be on-site.
As far as I can see, the Tribute Hotel is still a viable proposal. I'm not sure how the hotel will be able to handle the guest drop off issue though.
The developer may have to work something out with Sobrato's lot next door. I'm sure they're working on finding a solution to this problem.

CTA25 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #15559
quadshock

Likes (Received): 423

Santa Clara to mull fixes for San Jose border feud

Link

Quote:
Santa Clara’s City Council will spend part of Tuesday afternoon studying San Jose’s “urban villages” concept, an effort that members hope will salve the sting along their Stevens Creek Boulevard border where the two cities have rubbed each other raw.

“We are working collaboratively with San Jose on some of these issues and hopefully we can find consensus on that,” Vice Mayor Dominic Caserta said Monday.
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #15560
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
The SJDA article mentions the Tribute Hotel as follows:

The S.J. Planning Dept. had the following comment about the issue of dropping off passengers at this proposed hotel.

As far as I can see, the Tribute Hotel is still a viable proposal. I'm not sure how the hotel will be able to handle the guest drop off issue though.
The developer may have to work something out with Sobrato's lot next door. I'm sure they're working on finding a solution to this problem.
i don't know how i missed that, must have been focusing on the bold type. iirc, the plans called for a curb cut into the wide sidewalk to make way for drop off and pick up. not sure why that wouldn't fly with the city when there's an adjacent traffic lane and a bus only lane that cars could cross over into when someone waiting inevitably blocks the traffic lane. extend the curb cut the whole length of the montgomery as well to ensure that happens less often. so there's a few trees and light posts that need to be re-located, big whoop. looks like another example of a big city with a small town mindset to me. i hope they can compromise on a solution that doesn't involve under-utilization of the adjacent block 8.

aphelion2100, bobby_guz_man liked this post

Tags
san josé