daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #421
samuel_1991

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxip View Post
http://thomson-line.blogspot.sg/2014...e-stacked.html

EDIT: And this too - http://thomson-line.blogspot.sg/2015...ight-hill.html

Personally, I am in favour the south skirting option by the CRL interchanging with either Thomson, Marymount (not sure if enough space with the NSE around) or Caldecott (which is kind of too far south) and going along the soon-to-be-old Lornie Road. The CRL lacks connectivity with the CCL and this could provide that connectivity between the outer and inner orbital lines.
I don't know how would Caldecott be a possible CRL station given that the curve is too steep for even a 6 car train unless CRL runs along Mt Pleasant area that is between Bukit Brown (CCL) and Mt Pleasant (TEL).

Otherwise, the line must run below Toa Payoh Rise and form a T shape below. This means CRL must interchange with either Bishan or Braddell. For that case to happen, most likely it should interchange Ang Mo Kio, goes via AMK Ave 6 / Marymount Road with a station along Bishan St 22 as "Bishan North", interchange with Bishan and then proceed to Toa Payoh Rise. However, space constraint in Bishan and the additional travelling time will defeat the purpose of CRL. So now I still don't understand why would LTA consider Cadelcott as one of the option to be interchange, when Marymount / Upper Thomson is a better choice (And the NSE again, which is the root of Rochor problem ....).
samuel_1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #422
raxip

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel_1991 View Post
I don't know how would Caldecott be a possible CRL station given that the curve is too steep for even a 6 car train unless CRL runs along Mt Pleasant area that is between Bukit Brown (CCL) and Mt Pleasant (TEL).

Otherwise, the line must run below Toa Payoh Rise and form a T shape below. This means CRL must interchange with either Bishan or Braddell. For that case to happen, most likely it should interchange Ang Mo Kio, goes via AMK Ave 6 / Marymount Road with a station along Bishan St 22 as "Bishan North", interchange with Bishan and then proceed to Toa Payoh Rise. However, space constraint in Bishan and the additional travelling time will defeat the purpose of CRL. So now I still don't understand why would LTA consider Cadelcott as one of the option to be interchange, when Marymount / Upper Thomson is a better choice (And the NSE again, which is the root of Rochor problem ....).
Looking at the CRL tender documents' content, the TSL interchange with the shallow provision is definitely Bright Hill. The other one, being a "TSL interchange", could be open to 2 interpretations:
  1. It is a current TSL interchange, therefore only Bright Hill, Caldecott and Stevens qualify geographically. Most likely Caldecott in this case.
  2. It is a future TSL interchange when the CRL is built. This is a warped interpretation though. If this is true, then Thomson is a possible candidate for the interchange. Honestly, Thomson makes a more logical interchange candidate than Caldecott but oh wells...

I guess LTA was considering Caldecott because
  1. It is far away from the high water table near the Lornie/Thomson Road junction, similar to why DTL3 was routed away from Bedok Reservoir Road,
  2. It provides a quick connection for passengers to transfer from the outer orbital line (CRL) to the inner orbital line (CCL) without the need to use TSL to effect the transfer, and
  3. Caldecott is in a relatively convenient spot near to a future development area (Bukit Brown) and there is quite a bit of space to construct a mega interchange without having to exhume more graves.

Of course, these are just mere speculations and it is highly possible that LTA will just opt for the straight option through the CCNR, or if they choose the skirting option, opt for other locations. Also, if they use Caldecott, the CRL will run in a weird 'S' shape Bright Hill to Caldecott then to Eng Neo area LOL.
raxip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #423
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 106

Before this discussion goes any further, let's remind ourselves that this is an east-west orientated line with the intention of inter-town linkage.

Based on the shown indicative alignment of CRL at Bright Hill, it already requires a full 90 degree bend to align it towards Eng Neo, much less a 180 degree turn required to interchange at Upper Thomson and duplicate the TEL onwards as reasoned by y2koh earlier.

I think this is enough to convince anyone of the final outcome of the alignment that LTA have long had in plan, and all the paperwork and 'studies' and justification works that are currently being carried out in the EIA nothing more than just being accountable to the nature lovers.

The second interchange mentioned in the documents is only applicable to the alternative route skirting around the reservoir. It is not a mandatory interchange on both alignments.

I'm willing to place my bets that the CRL will cut through the west edge of the MacRitchie Reservoir, have a station near Horsecity which will have an unpaid link to the existing Sixth Avenue station, continue down the bt timah first diversion canal, possibly have a station at Pandan Valley which will be provisioned with an interchange with the Holland Line, before carrying on to Clementi.
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #424
eX.A.K.R.

Likes (Received): 18

I really still prefer the line to cut through the nature reserve. Tunnelling works could be done beneath Rifle Range Road and the Island Golf Course, and would utilise deep-tunnel boring methods similar to how the Changi Airport branch line was built to minimise surface impact. Any damage to the reserve can be restored after construction is complete, and perhaps a wildlife monitoring and rescue station can be set up in the area to monitor the impact on the flora and fauna while construction is under way, and step in to rescue or relocated any affected animals.
eX.A.K.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #425
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know why, but I suddenly imagined a behemoth Caldecott TEL/CRL joint station, with 6 tracks and 8 platforms, not unlike LUL Barking or Wembley Park stations.
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #426
Madrenergic

Likes (Received): 24

If they're going to divert the route of the CRL, I hope it will be on credible grounds that the works have a significant and lasting effect on the environment above. The last thing I want to see LTA do is to waste taxpayer money on building a longer, slower, more complicated CRL line for the sake of appeasing a few interest groups - no matter how well-intentioned they may be - when in reality the environment would be no worse off for it. It sets a poor precedent for policymaking.

eX.A.K.R. liked this post
Madrenergic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #427
raxip

Likes (Received): 0

Ok, moving onto non-CCNR alignment discussions, what would be the possible alignment(s) along the Pasir Ris-Hougang-Ang Mo Kio-Bright Hill stretch?

Personally, I am curious as to how the line will run from AMK to Bright Hill and whether they will follow Avenue 3 or turn south along Avenue 6 before turning west again near the Bishan-AMK Park. The Avenue 6 alignment will definitely be intriguing because the North South Expressway will be running directly underneath Avenue 6, so provisions may be worked into the NSE for CRL.
raxip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #428
samuel_1991

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxip View Post
Ok, moving onto non-CCNR alignment discussions, what would be the possible alignment(s) along the Pasir Ris-Hougang-Ang Mo Kio-Bright Hill stretch?

Personally, I am curious as to how the line will run from AMK to Bright Hill and whether they will follow Avenue 3 or turn south along Avenue 6 before turning west again near the Bishan-AMK Park. The Avenue 6 alignment will definitely be intriguing because the North South Expressway will be running directly underneath Avenue 6, so provisions may be worked into the NSE for CRL.
Based on LTA 2013 Master Plan, it seemed to follow Ave 3 and turn right into where Bright Hill is. However, if they change plans, then there should have a Bishan North Station in between AMK and Bright Hill in order to make this detour justifiable.
samuel_1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #429
ddes

Likes (Received): 331

I still don't think Ang Mo Kio will be an interchange.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #430
CHT

Likes (Received): 40

This map it taken from URA masterplan website under amendment to masterplan. I noticed there is a underground track alignment running along the West Coast Road. I am not sure if this is related to CRL?

http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/DC/view-ma...5/mp06-15.ashx

CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #431
y2koh

Likes (Received): 138

The plan base is the SLA land lot plan. The linear lot is the former west coast road alignment.

http://hm.onemap.sg/1972/1972%20(73).jpg

Onemap by y2koh, on Flickr

Last edited by y2koh; March 20th, 2015 at 05:47 AM.
y2koh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:49 PM   #432
cbdsingapore

Likes (Received): 1

Is it possible the clementi-west coast portion run along AYE?
cbdsingapore no está en línea   Reply With Quote