SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Wingbar | Off-Topic Discussions

549K views 5K replies 99 participants last post by  Summerlin 
#1 ·
Continued from the second thread

I had tried opening the thread a few times, and each time, my browser crashed. I don't know what was posted in there to make it do that, and I don't know if that was just on my end, but we're starting a new thread so that at least I don't have to deal with that.

#3,276 ·
I'm in Rochester coaching at a meet right now. This is the first time spending any kind of real time here. I was only here another time for an hour to do a photothread.

~ There's some nice neighborhoods here. Some of the names are strange/unique. Neighborhoods named after a person (Susan B. Anthony), a zip code (14621), and some other ones that I wouldn't expect (Josana, El Camino, Northland Lyceum).
~ What's the new building near the east part of the Inner Loop that looks like a big set of wings?
~ Webster reminds me of some of the areas on Transit Road near Lockport. It seems similar to the towns in southern Niagara County, like Wheatfield, Pendleton, etc.
~ I like the views from the high bridges. We have used NY 104 and gone over the gorge and Irondequoit Bay. It's crazy how Irondequoit Bay is frozen over still. Maybe it's crazy because I'm not from here and we are entering spring at this time of year. Incidentally, I've always wondered what Irondequoit Bay looked like, since it seems like an interesting anomaly on paper.

#3,278 ·
It's crazy how Irondequoit Bay is frozen over still. Maybe it's crazy because I'm not from here and we are entering spring at this time of year. Incidentally, I've always wondered what Irondequoit Bay looked like, since it seems like an interesting anomaly on paper.
You should see lake Erie. It's still been frozen what looks like shore to shore, south of the city at least. In April. :nuts: It should start thawing pretty rapidly I'd think, but this has to be a record.

I'd like to get to Roch to do a tour sometime. I really know nothing about the place.

#3,277 ·
Here's some more thoughts and questions about Rochester, after my weekend up there:

~ What is going on with the renovation of construction at Broad & Clinton Streets in Downtown? Is it a re-cladding?
~ Rochester seems like Buffalo, in that both cities have a wealth of great buildings. It seemed like every neighborhood had something really nice. For instance, driving on I-490, the back of a Renaissance-style YMCA on Monroe Street is visible. Little places of rich architecture like that are great.
~ It that an actual old canal lock on I-490 near Darwin Street? You can see it here: http://binged.it/1gYGWgc
~ What are locals' thoughts of tearing down the Inner Loop? You already have I-490 to provide access to Downtown. Even if part of it was torn down, and you had two spurs to provide quicker access to northern neighborhoods, it would be an improvement over so much highway. It strikes me as odd that an expressway was built almost directly on top of a waterfall. (Something would have to be done about the railroad tracks too.)
~ On the note of an expressway built almost on top of a waterfall, Rochester's Downtown has to have the most underutilized waterfront in the country. I stayed at the Rochester Plaza Hotel (a dump that should be imploded, by the way), and the park behind it is terrible. The concrete is breaking up, the pink pastel colors look hideous in a bleak extended winter, and the park doesn't connect to anything. Rochester could have a wonderful collection of waterfront parks connected by trails or walkways that go from High Falls to I-490 and beyond.

#3,284 ·
Who are the active Buffalo forumers here? You, Buffaboy, Buffalomatt, fubo, EastCoastTransplant, sinill, Fortunate4now, and who else?

I was hoping to hear from some actual Niagara Falls forumers and get their opinion, but it is now appearing that we have no regular Niagara Falls people anymore.

#3,292 ·
I heard a little bit of the Bills game down here yesterday on our sports radio station. I caught that Bryce Brown fumble through the end zone. Brown is a great runner, but he was susceptible to fumbling with the Eagles. It looks like you've seen it first-hand now. The draft pick that we got for Bryce Brown, I believe, was the 4th rounder that the Bills got for Steve Johnson.

#3,293 ·
You know that game had so much potential, and I was so upset that they lost that I threw my new 13" $1299 MacBook Pro against my bed and it fell to the ground and dislodged the SSD. Now I need to boot off of an external hard drive while I figure out if Apple can fix this. That's how bad of a loss it was. One of the worst of the 15 year playoff drought.

McKelvin, Brown, coaching it was just awful despite the fact we were a better team. And yes, Brown is flimsy.

#3,294 ·
I still can't believe we got Jason Peters from you guys for just a first round pick. Yes, there were disputes about Peters' contract and how much he was making, but we practically stole him from you guys. The talk down here earlier this year was that analysts are speculating that Peters might be a future Hall of Famer.

#3,303 ·
Not sure but I think it is a loss and a negative impact for both team , maybe I am wrong , we will just have to wait and see

#3,305 ·