SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Vote!

• Champion Baltimore

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Challenger Boston

Votes: 23 62.2%

*The Ultimate City Debates* Round Ten Baltimore VS Boston!!!

10K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  PghBoy83 
#1 ·
Which two of these cities win in:
Density, Urbanity, Crime, Education, Skyline, Nightlife, Day life, Healthcare, Future, Etc.

Baltimore
VS Boston

This does not include Metro.

#27 ·
.....I decided I wasn't finished talking about Towson's eateries yet. I ended my post prematurely and I am regretting it dearly. There's Casa Mia's on York which serves Greek and Italian food - it's good. There's Paolo's on Chesapeake which serves Italian - it's good. There's Philly's on Washington which serves cheesesteaks - it's good. There's The Orient on York serving Chinese - it's good. There's a Greene Turtle on York - always good. Not to mention all the countless bars and delis. I can't wait to go back. Downtown Towson only has a market for three things - restaurants, bars, and psychics. Everything else can be found in Towson Town Center. By the way, is that still the biggest mall on the East Coast, or did one pass it?

Also, speaking of Towson, ever since I've been coming back to Bmore these past few years, I've heard Baltimoreans refer to Towson as Uptown. Has anyone else encountered that?

#28 ·
PeterSmith, you are making me hungry! Though it isn't in Towson, but just across the line in Baltimore, I love to go to the Belvedere Market. You can pick up all kinds of goodies and have lunch with a nice neighborhood atmosphere. There are so many good restaurants in Baltimore. And now I just thought of all the Jewish deli's down on corn beef row!

#29 ·
MasonsInquiries said:
Wow. Towson. I've been there MANY MANY MANY times and have never noticed not even one asian restaurant. I had no idea towson was that diverse. I usually only go to towson either to visit towson commons or to towson town center. i'm still in shock!!!
There was a recent article in some national magazine wondering how a place relatively small like downtown Towson came to have the largest concentration of sushi in the western hemisphere. The latest is a rotating sushi bar where you grab things as they go by.

#30 ·
PeterSmith said:
Also, speaking of Towson, ever since I've been coming back to Bmore these past few years, I've heard Baltimoreans refer to Towson as Uptown. Has anyone else encountered that?

I look at Towson, Glen Burnie, Owings Mill, Woodlawn, etc. as cities that ring around a larger city core. Much like Rockville, Silver Spring and Bethesda ring DC.

And since Bmore and DC are so close, the cities that ring around them make the two metros practically touch. Maryland is a very unique, and weird (good thing) It seems like the entire state is metro.

Very weird for me coming from PA.

#31 ·
Yeah, that is one thing that makes Maryland very unique, I think. Marylanders can typically be divided up into two groups - metroers and non-metroers. There's really no in-between. Although that line is starting to fade as sprawl increases. But when you have a city with a metro of 8 million in a state of only 5 million, it makes for an interesting situation.

#32 ·
Molo said:
I look at Towson, Glen Burnie, Owings Mill, Woodlawn, etc. as cities that ring around a larger city core. Much like Rockville, Silver Spring and Bethesda ring DC.

And since Bmore and DC are so close, the cities that ring around them make the two metros practically touch. Maryland is a very unique, and weird (good thing) It seems like the entire state is metro.

Very weird for me coming from PA.
Most definitely! Central Maryland is one big metro area. Only western Maryland and the eastern shore are left out.

Does anyone know what the population of central Maryland is compared to the other areas? I would guess that central Maryland comprises maybe 75% of the entire state's population, but that's just my guess.

#33 ·
Montgomery County-918,881
Prince George's County-838,716
Howard County-264,265
Anne Arundel County-506,620
Baltimore County-777,184
Baltimore City-628,670
Harford County-232,175
Carroll County-163,207
Frederick County-213,662
Charles County-133,049
Calvert County-84,110
St. Mary's County-92,754
Central Maryland/Metro Areas of Maryland = 4,853,293
Maryland = 5,508,909
655,616 make up the rest of Maryland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.