SkyscraperCity Forum banner

2011 National Buffalo Wing Festival Phototour

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gus.carrasco 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I apologize for not having been back in a while, but I made my return to Buffalo last weekend for the Buffalo Wing Festival and I had a blast, and, once again a full stomach!

Almost 80,000 people attended this 2-day festival to celebrate Buffalo's most famous food. 25 countries represented by all the people and 47 of the 50 states, as well as at least 2 provinces!

Without further ado, my tour of the Buffalo Wing Festival!

Outside Coca-Cola Field, home of the Buffalo Bisons of the International League Minor Baseball team...

Festival entrance, that Buffalo looks like it could do some damage!

Inside the ball park, it was REALLY HOT that day!

Festival Stage...

Celebrity chef and comedian Mark DeCarlo and the founder of the Buffalo Wing Festival, Drew Cerza, aka Wing King

Mark with competitors for the blue cheese bowl...

The winner of the competition, the lady on the left, was visiting from Brooklyn...

Arooga's a Pennsylvania wing place...

Wings, celery, carrots, and of course, bleu cheese!

Yancey's Fancy, New York's Artisan Cheese, I've seen Mike Robitaille promote it on Buffalo Sabres game...

There's all the flavors, including Buffalo Wing, Smoked Gouda, Steak and Onions and hard cheddar. All of them were tasty!

Here's their CHEESY wings, with different cheese sauces and spices...

Wing Dome

More spicy wings...

Hurricane Grill and Wings, the "Ridiculously Hot" wings almost killed me... :nuts:

Danny's Buffalo cuisine...

Authentic Buffalo wing soup... mmmmmmm!

Amateur Buffalo wing eating contest...

The master of ceremonies (aka Jon Cryer's lost twin brother) with former Buffalo Wing eating champion, Sonya Thomas. She weighs a "whopping" 100 pounds! She consumed 173 wings in 12 minutes! BTW, she would repeat as this year's champion eating, I believe 186 wings in 12 minutes!

Competitors taking their places...

They have started!

Those two guys dominated this competition...

Time is up! Competition is done!

The guy in the light blue shirt ended up the winner!

Nice trophy...

Jon Cryer introducing Joey Chestnut, former Buffalo Wing champion and Nathan's Hot Dog champion

Former Buffalo Bills great Andre Reed promoting his new hot sauce...

Preparing for the Buffalo Buffet Bowl...

That's all Buffalo food in that service tray rapper Eric Booker is holding... Wings, Beef on Weck, Pizza, and Chicken Fingers! That's what I call Buffalo cuisine in a service tray!

Here we go!

Talk about a red month, goes good with that shirt...

After 10 minutes, the competition is done!

Sonya Thomas, future 2011 Buffalo wing champion, finished second...

Our grand champion, who came here from Chicago, and DRINKING BLEU CHEESE? WTH? This isn't the Indianapolis 500!

Nice trophy...

Great to see all these people come to downtown Buffalo...

Nice hat!

Buffalo Wild Wings, interesting fact, not one location for this exists in Buffalo

Talk about Wild wings...

Wings and beer, a Buffalo combination...

Sand Ox, a band performing on stage...

Everybody leaves around 9 pm...

Outside Coca-Cola Field...

Cobblestone Bar, in old industrial south... these pictures were all taken after I saw a movie @ the Market Arcade downtown and went on a Metro Rail ride...

Downtown Buffalo...

They are really putting an effort to reuse these old industrial buildings in the Cobblestone area, it's slowly changing...

Cheerios central...

Rear of HSBC Arena, home of the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League...

HSBC Arena front, this is significant, because it could be the last time I ever see this arena called "HSBC Arena", because it will become "First Niagara Center".

Looking up at the Brisbane Building...

Buffalo City Hall, so gorgeous at night...

New Court Building in Niagara Square...

McKinley Monument, Niagara Square...

The Statler Hotel, saved from the wrecking ball and being converted to a boutique hotel!

Buffalo Niagara Convention Center...

Looking up at Liberty Building...

M&T Plaza...

Main street, looking south @ night...

Hope you enjoyed it!

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice pictures. It looks like it was a great time. How much did it cost to get in?

The Buffalo Buffet eating contest is a good idea. It would be interesting to see the Black Widow and Joey Chestnut go through a variety of foods. I'd also like to see El Wingador, the local wing-eater who has won numerous Wing Bowls (another wing-eating competition held in Philadelphia that you would like) go up there and add some competition.

So what were your favorite wings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.